PDA

View Full Version : A Bit of Irony

Wonko The Sane
05-09-2006, 02:36 AM
I just thought that it was kind of ironic that the song "Vicarious" was placed on the same album as "Wings For Marie/10,000 Days." Considering "Vicarious" concerns humans fascination with tragedy experienced by others. And considering the obvious tragic and deeply personal nature of "Wings For Marie/10,000 Days". Know what I mean?

Wonko The Sane
05-10-2006, 09:39 PM
yeah I noticed that too, good call.

Wonko The Sane
05-10-2006, 09:39 PM
You're a fucking idiot

Wonko The Sane
05-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh wow! You've detected an irony! Way to go asshole.

Wonko The Sane
05-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Oh wow! You've detected an irony! Way to go asshole.

you don't have to be such an asshole, he was just sharing a thought. geez.

Wonko The Sane
05-10-2006, 09:42 PM
you don't have to be such an asshole, he was just sharing a thought. geez.
you're a dumpshit

Wonko The Sane
05-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Feel free to jump in here....anyone.....hello?....anybody??

neuropathy
05-10-2006, 09:43 PM
I know what you mean, Wonko.

Wonko The Sane
05-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Feel free to jump in here....anyone.....hello?....anybody??
What's there to say...? You pointed out an irony....wow....get over it... you're a nutsack.

Wonko The Sane
05-10-2006, 09:45 PM
I know what you mean, Wonko.
thanks, it was getting pretty hostile in here.

Spiral Into Nothing
05-10-2006, 10:11 PM
I dont even think it is that ironic. I dont think you are feeding of her tagedy in any way. At least I dont get that when I listen.

Its more of a testament to the fact that if there is a Heaven that she rightly belongs there because of her faith even through such horrible circumstances.

Wonko The Sane
05-10-2006, 11:39 PM
yeah, I see what you mean

JOK3R
05-11-2006, 12:25 AM
I just thought that it was kind of ironic that the song "Vicarious" was placed on the same album as "Wings For Marie/10,000 Days." Considering "Vicarious" concerns humans fascination with tragedy experienced by others. And considering the obvious tragic and deeply personal nature of "Wings For Marie/10,000 Days". Know what I mean?

the only irony i see is that your name is wonko the sane, talking to yourself in here.

JOK3R
05-11-2006, 12:27 AM
i dont think tragedy in "Wings For Marie/10,000 Days" is experienced vicariously

Koan
05-11-2006, 08:33 AM
the only irony i see is that your name is wonko the sane, talking to yourself in here.

Yes indeed, quite the paradox. In fact the name WONKO the sane contradicts itself a bit, don't you think?

Divine_left
05-11-2006, 09:42 AM
This thread is amazing.

Loveboat Captain
05-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Don't think for yourself or question Tool's authority. Jackass.

rageboy
05-11-2006, 06:04 PM

haha. sorry. i was looking at another thread and saw the cartman image and then saw this and immediately i thought of "do not question my authoritee". ah yes south park. completely off topic. anyway, on the point of the thread, the point of this forum is to talk about what you notice, not to put people down for what they notice. it's discussion not insults.

rogerdoger
05-11-2006, 06:08 PM
...Talk about multiple personalities, and you're Wonko the "SANE"...haha, very amusing.

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Yes indeed, quite the paradox. In fact the name WONKO the sane contradicts itself a bit, don't you think?.
Yeah, I'm pickin' up what you're putting down. Sadly, it's sort of like if I called myself "Meat".

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I'm pickin' up what you're putting down. Sadly, it's sort of like if I called myself "Meat".

I think what Wonko is doing here is lamenting over his insanity and small penis. Sad story... Some people are just dealt bad hands I guess... What do you guys think? About being dealt bad hands I mean....not the size of his penis...

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes indeed, quite the paradox. In fact the name WONKO the sane contradicts itself a bit, don't you think?

Hey, love the sig, great stuff. Even if you did feel it necessary to point out the obvious humorous contrast of my handle.

*snap*

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 09:38 PM
sometimes when I'm up against a cool, smooth, semi-reflective surface...I can see The Light and The Way, staring back at me...

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
sometimes when I'm up against a cool, smooth, semi-reflective surface...I can see the light and the way staring back at me...

What is that...like a Christ Complex? You are nuts...

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 09:41 PM
What is that...like a Christ Complex? You are nuts...
Call me nuts, Call me crazy! Call me whatever you want! Just never forget that this thread is alive and well because of me! What the hell did you ever do for it!? You think you're pretty fucking smart don't you? Christ Complex...? Wow you took a psych 101 class, you're ready to psycho-fucking-analyze everybody now. You pious fucking prick.

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Call me nuts, Call me crazy! Call me whatever you want! Just never forget that this thread is alive and well because of me! What the hell did you ever do for it!? You think you're pretty fucking smart don't you? Christ Complex...? Wow you took a psych 101 class, you're ready to psycho-fucking-analyze everybody now. You pious fucking prick.
sorry...i forgot my place...i was so out of line....

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 09:43 PM
sorry...i forgot my place...i was so out of line....
Kneel before your God.

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 09:46 PM
i dont think tragedy in "Wings For Marie/10,000 Days" is experienced vicariously

well, it's not experienced directly... I mean humans are drawn to art, literature, television shows, films, nightly news that depicts human tragedy/human suffering. It all hits the same nerve I think.

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 09:47 PM
This thread is amazing.
You know, I hadn't thought of it like that. But, the more I think about it, the more I think you may be on to something there.

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 10:13 PM

*snarf snarf*

JOK3R
05-11-2006, 10:44 PM
this guy cracks me up

bio-psy
05-12-2006, 01:04 AM
I don't think it's ironic. It seems like some kind of circular progression throughout the album. Vicarious - humans watching other humans commit atrocities, Wings - human becomes an angel, Right in Two - angels watch humans commit atrocities.

Wonko The Sane
05-12-2006, 02:31 AM
I don't think it's ironic. It seems like some kind of circular progression throughout the album. Vicarious - humans watching other humans commit atrocities, Wings - human becomes an angel, Right in Two - angels watch humans commit atrocities.

nice thought

soberschism
05-12-2006, 05:35 AM
dont you respect thought, humans?? !

irony starts from opiate, as u remember.. ( wow i find an irony, cummon guyz chew it up! )

wmann
05-12-2006, 05:58 AM
so maybe it's just my browser...or someone's been messing with Wonko's account? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he's posted pretty intelligent stuff elsewhere. Also, the *original* comment in this thread is exactly the same thing I noticed when I heard the song and I'm glad someone else thought the same. Especially considering Vicarious was the radio single that everyone heard, thought "rock on!" and went out and bought the album and heard again right away...then we were all suddently submerged in the very real pain of MJK's loss.

Of course, if this is supposed to be some kind of condemnation on his part, there's still the fact that Tool chose to write and release all of this material, and MJK continues to write song after song about it...can't really blame us if we like them. I think maybe he's just poking a bit of fun.

Lastly, funny that the sequence of songs about his mom's death is bookended by Vicarious and by The Pot, both of which seem to be telling people to look more closely at themselves before others...Yeah that's all I got.

Koan
05-12-2006, 07:07 AM
This thread is a bit confusing to read. Wonko, I don't know if you are being sarcastic about my sig and all, but anyway, I'm just playing, nothing against you. Although this whole thing could be taken as a very clever and funny way to pimp your post count...

Convoy_X
05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
This thread makes me hurt.

Wonko The Sane
05-12-2006, 01:07 PM
This thread is a bit confusing to read. Wonko, I don't know if you are being sarcastic about my sig and all, but anyway, I'm just playing, nothing against you. Although this whole thing could be taken as a very clever and funny way to pimp your post count...

No sarcasm, I'm a big The Mars Volta fan. The "Umbilical syllables left to decode" is one of my favorite parts of that song. Good stuff.

Koan
05-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Yeah that whole song just blows me away, it rocks. But this thread is going nowhere.

HallsOfMandos
05-13-2006, 02:19 PM
How's life 'outside the asylum?' And where is Arcane Jill?

smeefsmeef
05-13-2006, 07:58 PM

Yes..

btw

Judith (by A perfect Circle) = exact opposite of 10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)

Wonko The Sane
05-14-2006, 11:18 PM

Surely you jest JOK3R? hehe

Wonko The Sane
05-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes..

btw

Judith (by A perfect Circle) = exact opposite of 10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)

I concur wise Smeefsmeef. But, I do feel that the anger in Judith was not necessarily projected at Judith, but rather at her god. I think it showed a lot of frustration and bemusement over the fact that his mother clinged to her faith despite personal suffering.

Wonko The Sane
05-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Ok, if any of you LOOK words up in the dictionary (I fight this ingorance every day) vicarious: to experience through another medium (top off head)
This 'irony' pointed out is very clear. To feel anything from Marie/10,000, is to live vicariously, whether you felt good, bad of whatever from those songs. You were living that vicariously.

Wonka the Sane: I loved your beginning thread, beats the shit out of those linguistically challenge. (Dipshit or dude you found irony).
Good catch, commend!

Hey, thanks for clearly making a point that I was trying to make but just couldn't find the proper arrangement of words to make the point that I clearly wanted to make. Get my point?

RidetheRedshift
05-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Good work Wonko. A little sad that it got diluted with cackle. But the idea in the beginning of spinning all these circles around vicarious/wings whilst also spinning the circle of all these much too predictable threads, whilst also spinning your own perspective around different mindsets. Ahhh....art. You have spun three plates simultaneously. Faintly I can hear the 'gods' applauding.

Wonko The Sane
05-21-2006, 07:28 PM
thanks....must.....keep.....thread.....alive.....* gasp*....

Wonko The Sane
05-22-2006, 06:22 PM
thanks....must.....keep.....thread.....alive.....* gasp*....

I'll help you. I like to help people... it's my nature...

Wonko The Sane
05-22-2006, 06:23 PM
I'll help you. I like to help people... it's my nature...

You're a better man than I.