PDA

View Full Version : vicarious meaning

jack_flash
05-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Could Vicarious possibly be about the rest of the album, and what you are about to witness/experience when listening to it. I mean, the songs basically about how we get our enjoyment out of human suffering, out of other people's pain. Yet the overall meaning of the album, or the main crux of the subject matter is maynard's relationship with his mother who suffered for the 10 000 days before she finally died. So Vicarious is kinda like Maynard's little preamble to the actual album, him saying 'go ahead and listen, but make sure you realise what you are listening to and double check your reasons for enjoying it'. It's like every copy of this album sold is just another person 'feeding on tragedy'. Just a thought.

mulhollanddriven
05-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Could Vicarious possibly be about the rest of the album, and what you are about to witness/experience when listening to it. I mean, the songs basically about how we get our enjoyment out of human suffering, out of other people's pain. Yet the overall meaning of the album, or the main crux of the subject matter is maynard's relationship with his mother who suffered for the 10 000 days before she finally died. So Vicarious is kinda like Maynard's little preamble to the actual album, him saying 'go ahead and listen, but make sure you realise what you are listening to and double check your reasons for enjoying it'. It's like every copy of this album sold is just another person 'feeding on tragedy'. Just a thought.

Very interesting...hadn't even really considered that..

SPQR anTMan
05-08-2006, 08:29 PM
yeah really interesting good post

Doubt
05-08-2006, 11:21 PM
I think that's a good possibility. I never really thought of it that way.

neuropathy
05-08-2006, 11:31 PM
or could we just be considered curious observers albeit aware of possible underlying motivations?

jack_flash
05-09-2006, 03:53 AM
Well yeah it also might explain why Vicarious sounds kinda seperate from the rest of the album as well. I know some people are puttin it down to the fact that it was released before the rest of the album came out but i dunno, it's still got its own feel, both musically and lyrically. Though neuropathy might also have a point as well haha

Psilo
05-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Nice post, i never really thought of that

SynapticSatisfaction
05-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Hmmm....

Perhaps it could just simply be the concept of watching someone(s) suffer and feeling helpless.

On the larger scale, we're pretty helpless as to what the U.S. government is doing for its own individual and corporate gains. For those of us that do feel helpless, we're pretty fucking angry too. There's a range of emotions that go along with the situation. Helpless, angry, empathetic, apathetic, anxious, etc. We're having decisions made for us and there's nothing we can do to stop it. We're just bystanders, but are tied by a rope to this raging car that is heading towards a ravine at full speed.

I suppose very similar to a more personal situation...Like watching someone you care about go through a stroke and the aftermath of it. You can't detach yourself from the situation entirely, although I'm sure most would try their best.

I don't know. Shooting in the dark here. Just a thought.

I'm of the belief that everything is or can be related. You can zoom in to the most minute detail or you can zoom out...... like those posters where there's one of yoda and the big yoda is made up of little snapshots of scenes in Star Wars. Sometimes when you step back and zoom out, you can see the little events and situations that make up an entire picture....then you can zoom out more and see how that picture is just a scene in another larger picture.....

Blah, anything can be related if you use the right words and way of thinking. It's fun.

Marshalclick
05-19-2006, 11:11 PM

Opening your mind to accept the rest of the album. Crack the skull and pour it in...

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-20-2006, 03:30 AM

You know what i had that same thort just yesterday as i was listening to the album and it just occured to me, right on brother!

wearethestories
05-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Hell yeah...

Great idea, and something I'll keep in mind while listening to the rest of the album.

Thanks.

MisterMudd
05-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Even if this is not the original motive for the writing of the lyrics, I definitely see that this could be why this track ended up as the first track on the album.

I like the hypothesis. It makes sense.

win
05-28-2006, 07:41 PM

no

almost the entire album is about analyzing human suffering. I don't think talking or emoting about a certain subject is the same as glorifying it.

Lie Cheat And Steal
05-29-2006, 08:23 PM
I don't believe in your opinion... for i have my own... but I do have to say I'm glad to see you analyzing the songs and deciphering your own opinion out of it. For this is what Tool means... It is about opening up your eyes and getting your own opinion out of their music...

Luosdasa
05-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Fair enough idea. Though i disagree. Every song on the album is about suffering, or about how we deal with it or cause it, but i dont think any but wings pt I & II are about judith. I think the messages and metaphors in vicarious can be taken at face value.
I can really see tool spending time with song that explains other songs, because they usually have too much to say to fit on an album, and this'd be a bit of a waste imo

Shinji
09-29-2007, 12:48 AM
About a general theme of the album, I have a feeling of mourning.

ringo_shells
09-29-2007, 02:05 AM
If we're all "feeding on tragedy", then what do you call the person serving it up?

0ctopod
09-29-2007, 09:41 AM
A dealer.

GiselleLFreude
02-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Every song on the album is about suffering, or about how we deal with it or cause it imo

How do you explain Rosetta Stoned? The Pot? Those aren't about suffering. And you said that you don't think that any song except Wings for Marie pt 1 and 2 are about Judith, but what about Jambi?

iAMtheMA!
02-05-2015, 01:16 AM
you're challenging a thought from 05-30-2006, 04:00 AM...

iAMtheMA!
02-05-2015, 01:19 AM
it is now 02-05-2015, 04:20 AM

lotus.
02-05-2015, 05:26 AM
I can't wait to go back in time and prove all of you wrong! muahahahaha

AmyArtist
02-14-2015, 06:22 AM
I just interperet "vicarious" literally... as in, dual. We are vicariously experiencing what its like to create beautiful music about what it's like to vicariously watch people who live vicariously... it's an endless f*cking cycle.

antidote
02-22-2015, 12:42 AM
Like when you put a mirror in front of a mirror: endless reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections...

DogStar_OG
03-08-2015, 12:11 PM
The album jumps around too much for vicarious to be so deeply related to the rest of it. It's just the opener and flows into Jambi really well. Lyrics are separate from the music. Meaning is subjective. It's not a concept album, but a concepts album.