PDA

View Full Version : indigo?

win
05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
It is an obscure choice. surely it has significance. Ideas?

foursixandtwo
05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
I think there is a thread somewhere w/ something similar to this one..? Not sure, but I posted this somewhere already. I found it on a color website

INDIGO:
is the color that indicates dignity, tranquility, higher intuition, psychic powers, and trustworthiness. It is as calming and shares many traits with blue but being darker the affect is more intense and powerful. Since indigo has some of the shading of violet, it shares some of the traits of violet as well.it provides calm and coolness without cooling your intent. In hindu belief, it is the color of the third eye chakra

zacharyv
05-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I think it's referring to that idea of being blue. I agree with that other thread that says they were referring partly to this song in saying the record is a "blues album"... that's my thought.

MisterMudd
05-09-2006, 08:31 PM
I think the line "Weep in shades of chosen indigo..." is a metaphor for the person(s) the song refers to being "As blue as they want to be". In other words, they put on a show, or an act which leads others to believe they are sad (blue) for one reason or another, but only in an attempt to gain attention.

I have been contemplating this line alot and this is the conclusion that I came to. Just my opinion.

MisterMudd
05-09-2006, 08:43 PM
INDIGO:
is the color that indicates dignity, tranquility, higher intuition, psychic powers, and trustworthiness. It is as calming and shares many traits with blue but being darker the affect is more intense and powerful. Since indigo has some of the shading of violet, it shares some of the traits of violet as well.it provides calm and coolness without cooling your intent. In hindu belief, it is the color of the third eye chakra

I think this would be pretty off topic for the overall obvious meaning of the song. I suppose it could fit in some stretched/obscure way, but it doesn't seem to fit the flow of the song.

I could be missing some underlying alternate meaning to the song though.

I also saw on the WiKipedia entry that it may refer to "Indigo Children" (the supposed next phase in human evolution refering to the color of the child's aura). But this again, is difficult for me to swallow.

andreagirl
05-09-2006, 09:24 PM
It is an obscure choice. surely it has significance. Ideas?
indigo represents the highest chakra

foursixandtwo
05-09-2006, 09:31 PM
I think this would be pretty off topic for the overall obvious meaning of the song. I suppose it could fit in some stretched/obscure way, but it doesn't seem to fit the flow of the song.

I could be missing some underlying alternate meaning to the song though.

I also saw on the WiKipedia entry that it may refer to "Indigo Children" (the supposed next phase in human evolution refering to the color of the child's aura). But this again, is difficult for me to swallow.

there is too much signifigance to the color indigo for it to not mean something.

In my opinion.

Muladhara
05-10-2006, 01:04 AM
indigo represents the highest chakra

No, it represents the third eye, not the crown.

mcb264
05-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Is indigo the color of the eye or the color of the wept tears

xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 10:02 AM
I think it's referring to that idea of being blue. I agree with that other thread that says they were referring partly to this song in saying the record is a "blues album"... that's my thought.
While I agreed that in many instances "indigo" is the 3 syllable version of "blue," this is one case where it doesn't really work.

babyluke
05-10-2006, 10:56 AM
I thought it was a reference to Bush's war for oil. Indigo being the color of the oil.

brett caldwell
05-10-2006, 10:59 AM
I found this intresting link about "indigo children"

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=indigo+children&gwp=13

These kids apparently have blue auras. Seriously intresting stuff

xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 11:00 AM
I thought it was a reference to Bush's war for oil. Indigo being the color of the oil.
Oil is generally referred to as black.

"Black gold," etc.

foursixandtwo
05-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I found this intresting link about "indigo children"

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=indigo+children&gwp=13

These kids apparently have blue auras. Seriously intresting stuff

I read about Indigo Children in a Bob Frissell Book. It is indeed interesting.

Triangular_Vision
05-11-2006, 06:54 PM
I definately see all of these comments as being possible solutions to the specifics of the songs beginnings... they are songs. Art... Beautiful!

anyways...

some suggestions struck my eye

"indigo children" and the idea that the color indigo represents something...

its been my experience that maynard and the guys tend to pay alot of attention to the stories and religion of the aboriginal origin. Maynard even mentions them directly 1:24 in on Rosetta Stoned... they associated much of their ideas with colors...

indigo which the government or whatever is "weeping in chosen shades"

means:

Emtionallevel: peaceful, being alone (positive), harmony,
Spirituallevel: Deep wisdom, mysticism, Channel, meditation

-this to me depicts how the powers at be try to pacify the masses... to claim they have everything under control... fit into these catagories because this is all you can choose from... you know? *words echoing in memory "think for yourself, question authority"

Lemon Juice to me immediately given the surrounding topics would be yellow...

Yellow which is making the government weep or give out chosen answers means:

Emtionallevel: happiness, bliss, laughter,
Spirituallevel: enlightenment, light, wisdom

-this to me is the soul coming out in the individuals or the masses... the quest for happiness, enlightenment, purpose, love, self realization, at oneness is resounding inside the minds and souls and begging to be let out... but as long as indigo keeps crying the right tears no-one will get to the center where all colors are the same... white light...

which brings me to notice the balance of light and the chakras that the light is coming from... indigo which is the top chakra is more complex... more mind driven...

yellow comes from the chakra around the pubic region which is more primal and imperitive...

these two colors balanced over blue and green where the heart is can lead you down all sorts of avanues...

wow im drifting... ill come back when im a little less high...

Triangular_Vision
05-11-2006, 07:01 PM
if u want to pass up all that mumbo jumbo... have a look yourself. i was not doing well conveying my thoughts into words, ive got quite a headache...

http://www.goatrance.de/mahak/colors.html

foursixandtwo
05-12-2006, 03:45 PM
I definately see all of these comments as being possible solutions to the specifics of the songs beginnings... they are songs. Art... Beautiful!

anyways...

some suggestions struck my eye

"indigo children" and the idea that the color indigo represents something...

its been my experience that maynard and the guys tend to pay alot of attention to the stories and religion of the aboriginal origin. Maynard even mentions them directly 1:24 in on Rosetta Stoned... they associated much of their ideas with colors...

indigo which the government or whatever is "weeping in chosen shades"

means:

Emtionallevel: peaceful, being alone (positive), harmony,
Spirituallevel: Deep wisdom, mysticism, Channel, meditation

-this to me depicts how the powers at be try to pacify the masses... to claim they have everything under control... fit into these catagories because this is all you can choose from... you know? *words echoing in memory "think for yourself, question authority"

Lemon Juice to me immediately given the surrounding topics would be yellow...

Yellow which is making the government weep or give out chosen answers means:

Emtionallevel: happiness, bliss, laughter,
Spirituallevel: enlightenment, light, wisdom

-this to me is the soul coming out in the individuals or the masses... the quest for happiness, enlightenment, purpose, love, self realization, at oneness is resounding inside the minds and souls and begging to be let out... but as long as indigo keeps crying the right tears no-one will get to the center where all colors are the same... white light...

which brings me to notice the balance of light and the chakras that the light is coming from... indigo which is the top chakra is more complex... more mind driven...

yellow comes from the chakra around the pubic region which is more primal and imperitive...

these two colors balanced over blue and green where the heart is can lead you down all sorts of avanues...

wow im drifting... ill come back when im a little less high...

nice. Looks like you have put some thought into this. Very nice.

Koan
05-12-2006, 05:39 PM
I think the line "Weep in shades of chosen indigo..." is a metaphor for the person(s) the song refers to being "As blue as they want to be". In other words, they put on a show, or an act which leads others to believe they are sad (blue) for one reason or another, but only in an attempt to gain attention.

I have been contemplating this line alot and this is the conclusion that I came to. Just my opinion.

Seconded.

win
05-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Oil is generally referred to as black.

"Black gold," etc.

agreed

Crucify the Ego
05-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Ya for me the key word is weeping CHOSEN shades of indigo, and then the next line, got lemon juice up in your eye. Like I get a picture of someone sticking juice up in they're eye so that they can fake cry (in court?). Like think of the color running down the cheeks of a crying lady with too much mascara, that's indigo (and since it's makeup i suppose she "chose" the shade... this is just the imagery I get).
Then again the word indigo probably does have other significance because he says "shades of indigo", when normally i'd think of indigo as a shade of blue. Right? (I'm not artist).

HateSolstice
05-14-2006, 01:02 AM
This whole line in the song reminds me of Bill Clinton. Excellent actor, can cry on cue...etc. That's what I think this is about. Someone who can pretend to care, pretend to be hurt, sad, etc.

eonphi
05-14-2006, 04:53 AM
Ya for me the key word is weeping CHOSEN shades of indigo, and then the next line, got lemon juice up in your eye. Like I get a picture of someone sticking juice up in they're eye so that they can fake cry (in court?). Like think of the color running down the cheeks of a crying lady with too much mascara, that's indigo (and since it's makeup i suppose she "chose" the shade... this is just the imagery I get).
Then again the word indigo probably does have other significance because he says "shades of indigo", when normally i'd think of indigo as a shade of blue. Right? (I'm not artist).
good point

Bukkhead
05-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Folks here seem to like to ref Wikipedia, so here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo
Just for the heck of it. An interesting little article. Apperently Isaac Newton was the first to use the word for a shade between blue and violet, specifically to be able to divide the visible light spectrum into seven shades (the number seven having a specific meaning for him). To ME (and this is subjective) the shade shown on that page looks more purple than anything else.

If one is weeping CHOSEN shades of indigo, this suggests an arbitrary color, where the focus is on the choosing of it, not the cause of it. This is backed up by "shed without a reason" and "lemon juice up in your eye" (where one is making oneself cry.) Thus one is not emotionally affected, but wants to appear to be-- in order to give weight and pathos to whatever (hypocritical) judgement is being handed down. Think "crocodile tears."

All this had been said. What's left is: why purple? Someone else pointed out that purple is the color of royalty/divinity, so the person weeping is self-stylized as somehow "better" than the one judged.

So, one vote for "crocodile tears from delusions of grandeur."

AlphaGeek
05-14-2006, 08:18 AM
If one is weeping CHOSEN shades of indigo, this suggests an arbitrary color, where the focus is on the choosing of it, not the cause of it. This is backed up by "shed without a reason" and "lemon juice up in your eye" (where one is making oneself cry.) Thus one is not emotionally affected, but wants to appear to be-- in order to give weight and pathos to whatever (hypocritical) judgement is being handed down. Think "crocodile tears."

Couldn't agree more on this. Very well stated.

Hiredugan
05-14-2006, 05:40 PM
crocodile tears from delusions of grandeur

Ohhh, I like that!

win
05-16-2006, 01:01 AM

sharp. i agree I think

Sanzen
05-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Couldn't agree more on this. Very well stated.

Third. Good going.

foursixandtwo
05-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Folks here seem to like to ref Wikipedia, so here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo
Just for the heck of it. An interesting little article. Apperently Isaac Newton was the first to use the word for a shade between blue and violet, specifically to be able to divide the visible light spectrum into seven shades (the number seven having a specific meaning for him). To ME (and this is subjective) the shade shown on that page looks more purple than anything else.

All this had been said. What's left is: why purple? Someone else pointed out that purple is the color of royalty/divinity, so the person weeping is self-stylized as somehow "better" than the one judged.

So, one vote for "crocodile tears from delusions of grandeur."

^ This is superb!