PDA

View Full Version : Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

mike09
05-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Don't they play that altered version of the 46&2 riff to draw upon the similar theme of that song. 46&2 is about further "evolving" and Right in Two is questioning why humans haven't "evolved" as much as they could and why they act like monkeys. I'm assuming that's why the riff is a little bit different. The drums and the bass sound the same as the part in 46&2, but the guitar riff is just a bit different. It's almost as if saying that humans haven't quite reached that point yet that is talked about in 46&2. If this was the band's intention with that part in Right in Two, then I must say I'm impressed. If not, then I'm digging too deep.

blair's man sausage
05-08-2006, 01:22 PM
46 & 2 riffs are definately at the end of Right in Two...i like all the speculation trying to tie this together very entertaining and provocative

mike09
05-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Nope, I don't hear 46&2 in Right in Two.

But your thesis isn't that bad at all.

5:26 - 5:47 in Forty Six & 2

6:44 - 6:58 in Right in Two

That's what I'm referring to. How can you not atleast notice the similarity?

mike09
05-08-2006, 02:02 PM
I have difficulties in the rehashed department. That's why.

Maybe I don't listen to the guitar? I mostly follow the voice or the bass.

But mostly I just let the musis swallow me as a whole.

Okay. I was referring to the guitar actually. The drum and bass parts are almost the exact same thing as in forty six & 2, it's the guitar that is differing. Just curious, do you play an instrument?

imatoolhed
05-08-2006, 02:13 PM
At my first listen to vicarious i had simular feelings, that it reminded me of schism (the opening riff). But after quite a few long good listens none of album reminds me of anything but tool.

Imo it's just the "sound" of tool that one may try and blend into past songs. But why would they rehash old riffs.

I get what your saying though.

transcend187
05-08-2006, 10:23 PM
They're not really "rehashing old riffs", they're using similar riffs to link songs together that are in a similar vein. I'm guessing they want you to put the ideas together and think about each song in the context of the other. I do hear the similarity quite clearly, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if its intentional.

evil agent
05-09-2006, 07:31 AM
The riff in question is DEFINITELY very similar to the riff from 46&2, there is no question of that. The question is whether this was intentionally done to link the meanings of the songs, or if that's just a convenient coincidence.

Crucify the Ego
05-09-2006, 08:22 AM
I think you're very right about this transcend187 and the more ive been listening to the album the more pieces of old songs i find. And the riffs aren't the same but so similar that it can't be overlooked. There are no coincidences, everything is intentional and how much you get out of these songs is equal to how much you put in. So dont listen to the people that call "overanalyze" but just keep digging. I suggest you read paraflux's interpretation of the album called fluxerpretation or something like that, because he goes into great lengths about what you're suggesting.

mike09
05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
They're not really "rehashing old riffs", they're using similar riffs to link songs together that are in a similar vein. I'm guessing they want you to put the ideas together and think about each song in the context of the other. I do hear the similarity quite clearly, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if its intentional.

Exactly.

ataraxia77
05-10-2006, 03:26 PM
I agree completely with this original post. Mike- you can accuse me of self-advertisement, but read my post about counterpoint on this song and see what you think since we're grooving along the same line. I agree that they're tying in ideas, and I subscribe to your interpretation in this case.