PDA

View Full Version : The beginnings of life?

Wretched
05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I think of Intension as part one of Right In Two. I think they both speak of humans in a sense.

I'll explain this better. Intension and Right In Two seem like two polars of human concepts. In Intension, I feel that Maynard is talking about the beginnings of human life. Talking about how we are pure when we begin as babies, or perhaps judging by the "move by will alone" part, when we are in our first spiritual forms. I'll delve into that deeper in a second.

Right In Two seems more of how as humans grow, we get more and more vengeful, and less divine. We take our freewill and being then fashion weapons to kill and ways to harm. I see it as Maynard is describing the life of humans as we see it.

Now, to go a little deeper into that spirite bit. I don't think he is talking about a spirit that some people believe, but I think he is just talking about our life force - when we begin as just a concept in time.

I also notice the mention of strangers/stones/weapons in the songs lyrics as a prelude to the mention of them in Right In Two.

Maybe I am wrong, but I just find the entire album as little segments. Vicarious and Jambi have some obvious connections. Wings Part one and Two. The Pot kind of sits on its own, but seems to be the song that generally sums up what the feelings behind a lot of the songs (baisically: Don't just make assumptions, don't be a hypocrite). Then Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned are Tool's message to everyone that they are not saviours and they don't know everything, and don't want people to place them in that position. Next up you have Intension and Right In Two. Intension is the most uplifting song on the album, then it is followed by a rather depressing Right In Two. It seems as though Tool are saying, "Look at this. We begin so pure, we could still be this." Then when Right In Two commences, it is like they are saying, "Look where we are now. If we keep going down this path, we are all going to be stuck like this."

I'm not sure if you could follow this post, but hopefully you can understand it a little. It adds new meaning behind this album, as far as I'm concerned - makes it a little more deep. It's a great album, and this song seems so brilliant.

swash
05-08-2006, 11:15 AM
I think Intension is a generalization of human life and nature. We begin pure, then we stain ourselves in blood (throw the stone, forge the blade, move by will, not reason), then we return to one. The question I suppose is whether returning to one will be a sort of enlightenment or extinction. Obviously that question hasn't been answered yet.

Wretched
05-08-2006, 11:16 AM
I think Intension is a generalization of human life and nature. We begin pure, then we stain ourselves in blood (throw the stone, forge the blade, move by will, not reason), then we return to one. The question I suppose is whether returning to one will be a sort of enlightenment or extinction. Obviously that question hasn't been answered yet.

I think if we rid ourselves of those things, then we would reach our divinity.