PDA

View Full Version : Megaphone Speaking Part = Tommy The Cat

Zvi
05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Hey, I'm new to this forum, but I was just listening to 'Rosetta', and I swear maynard ripped of les claypools vocals in tommy the cat. Maybe Les and Maynard do acid together in the deserts of new mexico see aliens n shit.

It also reminds me of 'Elephant Talk' a little, or a bunch of other tracks from Disipline, the way that he does the talking and the heavier riff becomes the chorus.

Huff
05-08-2006, 10:07 AM
I think the megaphone bit in TTC is much more straight-uP EQ stuff...with all the bottom end taken out. The vox in RS are distorted but still have low end in them....

But damn do I ever love Primus...

mostrestic8r
05-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Just passing on information here.....The voice of Tommy the Cat is actually Tom Waits, not Les Claypool...

psims23
05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
The toooyyyysss, go winding doowwnnn.... man Primus is da shit

Zvi
05-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Just passing on information here.....The voice of Tommy the Cat is actually Tom Waits, not Les Claypool...
Shit, I didn't know that, I still think the fast fluxuating rythms maynard does rembles ttc vox

iamtheflute
06-06-2006, 03:52 PM

i like how this one quote shows that this person thinks they know what they are talking about, but obviously does not.

good job guy/girl!!

Gnome_Chomsky
06-06-2006, 04:04 PM
I see it. I like Rossetta better though. Imagine how much differant Rossetta stoned wouldve been with the Tommy the cat lyrics, or even Is it luck?

EternalSiGN
06-07-2006, 11:01 AM
idk it just reminds me of what they did for eulogy... its pretty much the same effect

Jon08
06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
i like how this one quote shows that this person thinks they know what they are talking about, but obviously does not.

good job guy/girl!!

i love how this one quote shows that this person thinks they know what they are talking about, but obviously does not.

hushypushy
06-07-2006, 09:19 PM
i am a huge primus fan and a huge tool fan (hey, i just saw claypool last week in SF!)....i never made this connection. i'm not really seeing it (hearing it?)

Carny_Handles
06-08-2006, 04:51 PM
i love how this one quote shows that this person thinks they know what they are talking about, but obviously does not.

I adore how this one quote shows that this person thinks they know what they are talking about, but obviously does not.

Dolophane
06-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Tons of people use that megaphone voice in their music. Personally, I think it's a direct influence from Mike Patton in Tomahawk (specifically the song "God Hates a Coward"), given that Tool has said that the heavy bands they've toured with recently were a big influence on this album.

weesper
06-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Mike Patton... another hero

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 06:48 AM
It also reminds me of 'Elephant Talk' a little, or a bunch of other tracks from Disipline, the way that he does the talking and the heavier riff becomes the chorus.
I'm listening to a live "Elephant Talk" right now (off of the Dinosaur single), and I just do not see this connection. It's so musically different, and what chorus? Damn, Robert Fripp is a fucking genius!

AperfectTool311
06-12-2006, 08:43 PM
I adore how this one quote shows that this person thinks they know what they are talking about, but obviously does not.

it actually is Waitts.

Sanzen
06-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Say baby, do you wanna lay down with me? Say baby, do you wanna lay down by my side?

SAY BABY - SAAAY BABY!!!!

absolutpepper
06-15-2006, 06:07 AM

Indeed the incredible Tom Waits does the voice for Tommy the Cat, however all that really amounts to in the song is a few lines and lots of cat noises. The fast speaking/singing part of the song (ie the part that tells the story) which was referenced in the other post as being reminiscent of Rosetta Stoned is actually Les Claypool. He sort of acts as a narrator for the song and Tom Waits plays the character. In point of fact. Now how good is Mr Krinkle!!!

absolutpepper
06-15-2006, 06:08 AM
oh yeag, i dont hear the similarity either other than there are a lot of words crammed into a very small space.