PDA

View Full Version : 11 Reasons Why Eulogy Cannot Be About Jesus or L. Ron Hubbard

tbrent21
05-08-2006, 07:31 AM
How can people think this song is about Jesus or L. Ron Hubbard?

Because they mention a cross here? Metaphor, people!

Because in Anima they say "f*** L. Ron Hubbard and all of his clones"? Well, it seems like they know how to insult Mr. Hubbard directly and to the point, without resorting to eight and half minutes of lyrics which have to be stretched to fit that interpretation.

Let's take a look at the lyrics! There must be clues to follow!

1) So long. We wish you well.

This is someone that Tool knew personally, that they're saying goodbye to, and that they have no real ill feelings toward. We learn later that its a male ("He had a voice/etc/I swallowed his facade/etc"). Paul D'Amour perhaps? It would make sense. This is the first album recorded without him. I know in 1996 I wanted some explanation from the band why this bassist that I adored and worshipped in 1993 when I listened to Undertow again and again and again, was no longer around. Perhaps this is that explanation.

2) You told us how you weren't afraid to die. Well then, so long.

Tool did not know Jesus personally. Jesus did not tell Tool anything. Let alone that he wasn't afraid to die. By the way I don't think this person they are addressing is literally dying - I think they are dead to Tool in the sense of "goodbye, so long, you're dead to me and you had it coming."

3) Don't cry. Or feel too down.

Tool is telling Jesus or Mr. Hubbard not to cry or feel too down? It makes no sense. It makes more sense that this is someone they've ended a relationship with, that they have learned no longer "feels the same" although at one point they "seemed to feel the same."

4) Not all martyrs see divinity. But at least you tried.

Tool if anything is CONTRASTING the person they are addressing with Jesus.

5) Ranting and pointing his finger.

Another dead give away they are not addressing Jesus. Did Jesus rant and point his finger when delivering his message?

6) At everything but his heart.

It seems the person Tool is addressing had the quality of finding fault in the world around him but ignoring his own faults. Again, the Jesus interpretation is off the mark.

7) No way to recall what it was you said to me. Like I care at all.

The person they are addressing is someone they knew or listened to at one point, but no longer listen to (regretting now that they "swallowed his facade"), have forgotten what they were ranting and pointing their finger about, and no longer care.

8) So loud. You sure could yell.

Someone they witnessed yelling, so another strike against the Jesus interpretation. Come on now, did Jesus yell? Of course not.

9) You took a stand on every little thing and so loud.

Its becoming clear why Tool is saying "so long" to this person. They are annoying as hell, making an issue out of every little thing.

10) I swallowed his facade cuz I'm so eager to identify with someone who seemed to feel the same.

Another great clue. This is someone that Tool used to have in their lives but no longer. One big giveaway that this song is not about L. Ron Hubbard. I think we can all agree that Tool are not former scientologists.

11) Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?

This is a big line in the clue department, perhaps the biggest. First and foremost, the person they are addressing is alive and is hearing this song, so again it isn't Jesus or Mr. Hubbard, who died in 1986. And the person they are addressing seems to have perhaps heard this song before its release, understood it to be a eulogy or explanation of why Tool no longer could listen to all of his crap, and gave the band some reaction to it of surprise. Paul D'Amour perhaps?? Starting to come together, isn't it?

I don't see this line in the official lyrics section of this website, but in the first part of the song, I have always heard Maynard say, right before the big musical entree, "weird that I'll miss him." I am 99% sure of that lyric -- "weird that I'll miss him." This is an important line, in my view. Obviously there are plenty of clues that the song is about someone that Tool has disassociated themselves from. But the "weird that I'll miss him" line tells us also that there's really still no hard feelings (e.g. also, "we wish you well"). In other words, when Tool was around this guy, they couldn't wait to get rid of him, but now that he's gone, its "weird", but kinda miss the guy.

My long-standing interpretation: This song is about Paul D'Amour. It has to be. It all fits.

I look forward to hearing any of your comments, friends.

sp4cem0nkey
05-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Didn't Maynard claim this song was about Kurt Cobain?

snakeeyedhawk
05-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Maynard may have claimed that, but it's 99 percent likely he was joking.

As for your rant, different people have different opinions. Having a self-righteous attitude such as that isn't going to further anything.

XXXFallacyXXX
05-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Hmmm Thats a good theory. I had never really thought about it being about paul. Timothy leary always came to my mind when I listened to this song, I dont know why but it made sense to me. But now that I've read your post the whole him hearing his eulogy doesnt really make sense to me now.

burning bridges
05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Everybody has their right to their own interpretations but I still cannot see the explanation for the people who think the song is about Bill Hicks.

snakeeyedhawk
05-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Everybody has their right to their own interpretations but I still cannot see the explanation for the people who think the song is about Bill Hicks.

True, that makes no fucking sense. Bill Hicks was their friend.

imatoolhed
05-08-2006, 02:47 PM
True, that makes no fucking sense. Bill Hicks was their friend.
From the tool FAQ.

G27. The big question: Who is "Eulogy" about?
As with most Tool songs, the song is vague enough that can be interpreted to be anyone / anything. The song is primarily about the death of something which most probably turned out to be a fake. Regarding the rumor that the band is no longer on good terms with Henry Rollins; he has recently been heard talking positively about Tool, saying he was unaware of any bad blood. In Modern Drummer (10/93), Danny mentions L. Ron Hubbard as the object of the song. One way or another, though, the song has a message that can stand apart from any specific target; the interpretation is left to you, and the specifics aren't too important.

tbrent21
05-08-2006, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=imatoolhed]From the tool FAQ.

[G27. The big question: Who is "Eulogy" about?
As with most Tool songs, the song is vague enough that can be interpreted to be anyone / anything. The song is primarily about the death of something which most probably turned out to be a fake. ]

The person being addressed doesn't seem to be literally dead though. E.g. "We wish you well" and "Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy." These lines strongly suggest the person the song is addressed to is alive.

If you think about it, which makes more sense: that Tool is eulogizing a dead person who turned out to be a fake (so what?), or that Tool is saying goodbye from their lives of someone who "seemed to feel the same" but, as it turned out, they were mistaken, and it was time to say "so long."

tbrent21
05-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Two more clues that they are addressing Paul D'Amour. When Tool expresses regret that they were mistaken when they thought this person "seemed to feel the same" as they do, there is also a reference that they mistakenly thought this person was "prepared to lead the way." That SO FITS. Tool's theme of "standing above the crowd" and leading the way to enlightenment has been a theme of theirs from the beginning. From "Opiate" (the song) ("what you need is someone strong to guide you, like me") all the way through "Schism" and "Lateralus" ("bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication", "ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been"). The person they are addressing in "Eulogy" seemed to be prepared to stand above the crowd and lead the way with them, but it was just a facade. Thus, Paul, "so long."

I also see something in the "you must be crucified" line. I take that to mean that the song -- the scathing eulogy -- is the crucifixition referenced. In other words, for your sins and your lies, "goodbye" and for your sins and your lies, "we can't just let it go -- there has to be some closure. So we say, 'you must be crucified', so the whole world knows." Keep in mind this song was written in the aftermath of the D'Amour breakup, when tensions were probably high.

Doubt
05-10-2006, 01:40 AM
I know, when I write my poetry, I sometimes have multiple influences for the one poem and people who read it will say, "Who's that about?" Maybe, just maybe, it's not about someone but someones?

Just putting it out there.

Disco
05-10-2006, 07:25 AM
I agree that Paul seems to be the most likely, however if you add a bit of poetic lisence to the lyrics you will see that it still could be anyone.

I think Bill Hicks is an outside chance, with some tounge in cheek lyrics. Think about MJK being angry somewhat at Hick's passing when he died from a disease probably brought on by his past massive drug use. He is frustated that Hicks passed on so early when he could have accomplished a lot more in his life. And yes, the person can be dead if you assume that MJK believes the dead can still hear what is going on.

Anyway, outside chance.

troutp
05-10-2006, 06:56 PM
After reading the lyrics once more in the first post, I've even more convinced that Eulogy is about Christ. I think Maynard isn't being sincere at all; he's mocking Christ in every possible form he can...

With my pov, MJK is saying "Hey Jesus, you died, and thought you would go to heaven and reach divinity, but it didn't happen did it?"

Members of Tool, including Maynard, have said this song is not about Jesus. If you relate it to Jesus, that's fine.

Could someone give me a link ti this? I'm quite interested =P

tbrent21
05-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Sorry, but I kinda see that as a lazy interpretation, I mean the "not all martyrs" line, its just one line in the song. There's alot more to this song.

There definitely is the use of religious allegory in this song. "Get off your cross, we need the space to nail the next fool martyr", "to ascend you must die" etc. How it all fits together is a tough riddle. But the "ranting" and "you sure could yell" stuff, if its about Jesus and its just being sarcastic, its kinda dumb sarcasm. Tool is anything but dumb. I think we're dealing with someone who really did yell and rant and point their finger and piss them off.

On the comment earlier that someone sees an outside chance this was addressed to Bill Hicks -- so many reasons this can't be about Bill Hicks, where do you start. But number one being, "no way to recall what it was you said to me, like I care at all." Tool desperately wants us to remember Bill Hicks' message (Hicks originated the concept of the 'third eye' not Tool). The last thing they would say about him is "what the fuck it was you were ranting about, I have no idea nor do I really give a shit to remember."

Disco
05-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Yes but any interpretation has its problems. Okay so it is about Paul? Then wtf is with all the "you said all this time that you would die for me". That doesn't really fit, unless Paul D'Armour is this full on guy who tells members of his band how much he would die for them... does that fit?

10) I swallowed his facade cuz I'm so eager to identify with someone who seemed to feel the same.

Another great clue. This is someone that Tool used to have in their lives but no longer.

See but you are assuming that MJK is singing from his experience, not from a persona. Example is the song vicarious, does MJK really sit in front of the TV like a junkie? No, he is singing from a persona. Much of this song can be taken that way.

tbrent21
05-11-2006, 08:44 AM
I agree with you completely, that any interpretation has some problems. There are specific parts that no one but Tool themselves could fully explain. For example, in my Paul D'Amour interpretation, is "the next fool martyr" Justin? And, I really don't know what they are talking about when they say "don't you step out of line!" But, enough of the rest works for me that's how I see the song. I don't see anything that directly contradicts my theory, I guess.

Inner_Eulogy
05-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Sorry, but I kinda see that as a lazy interpretation, I mean the "not all martyrs" line, its just one line in the song. There's alot more to this song.

There definitely is the use of religious allegory in this song. "Get off your cross, we need the space to nail the next fool martyr", "to ascend you must die" etc. How it all fits together is a tough riddle. But the "ranting" and "you sure could yell" stuff, if its about Jesus and its just being sarcastic, its kinda dumb sarcasm. Tool is anything but dumb. I think we're dealing with someone who really did yell and rant and point their finger and piss them off.

On the comment earlier that someone sees an outside chance this was addressed to Bill Hicks -- so many reasons this can't be about Bill Hicks, where do you start. But number one being, "no way to recall what it was you said to me, like I care at all." Tool desperately wants us to remember Bill Hicks' message (Hicks originated the concept of the 'third eye' not Tool). The last thing they would say about him is "what the fuck it was you were ranting about, I have no idea nor do I really give a shit to remember."

I think as the other guy said that it was written with the intent to not place the theme to anyone in paeticular. However, I do disagree with some comments as to how this one line means it HAS to be this guy. Just because he references "get off your fucking cross, we need more fucking space...to nail the next fool martyr" or "not all martyrs see divinity" doesn't necessarily mean it's Christ. And you're MOST DEFINATELY WRONG that Bill Hicks originated the "third eye" theory...that sybolism has been around aeons before his time. I agree the line "no way to recall, what it was that you had said to me" makes sense that it was somebody they personally knew however, it very well could have just been in context of any well known phrase or theology. Like if you were familiar with the bible, he could've been generally speaking of what jesus says in the bible...catch my drift? All in all, i may well have been written about somebody in particular but, I think the most likely person actually would be L. Ron Hubbard "and his clones". Maynard did not like him very much or his beliefs that people followed blindly just like the christian faith and jesus. He was thought of as a god practically and died wihthin his cause but as Maynard feels, he had a lot of nothing to say. He's being cynical when he says "no way to recall what you had said..." he's just saying yeah I heard you and it didn't mean shit so I didn't even retain it, oh well I already forgot. Anyways, that's my take and until the band gives a solid response I appreciate the song being open ended as to apply it to anybody who foolishy follows blindly into a path with no substance and is willing to die for their cause.

Disco
05-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Also someone this thread (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=1043340#post1043340) confirmed my belief that D'Armour contributed to songwriting for Eulogy. I also remember in the first interview Tool did before Laturalus came out MJK said that because of his work with APC Laturalus was the first album to have songs written musically before the lyrics were layed. A little tenuous, perhaps, but this would suggest that Paul was around after MJK had written the song.

Mr Silver
05-14-2006, 06:18 PM
My long-standing interpretation: This song is about Paul D'Amour. It has to be. It all fits.

You've made a glaring omission my friend...

"we need the fucking space
to nail the next fool martyr"

So they are calling their current bassist a fool martyr?

They plan to martyr him in some way?

Got my doubts...

Also disagree with your premise that the subject must still be alive. TooL speak to the dead fairly often in their songs.

You've made some sloppy logical conclusions based on very loose evidence here.

Beware of trying to make the puzzle pieces fit how you think they should go. Lay them out and the picture will be revealed...but you've got to lay them all!

tbrent21
05-14-2006, 06:44 PM
I did admit in my last post that the one part that perhaps made my theory less likely was the "next fool martyr" line.

Hey, ease off though, if I present a theory of what this song is about that comes within one measly line of making sense, it deserves a little bit of kudos IMHO. The guys that are off base are those who just follow what they understood Maynard to say about the song in an interview, or just read the "Tool FAQ" or whatever the hell that is, rather than examine the lyrics themselves.

martyrinexile86
05-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Didn't Maynard claim this song was about Kurt Cobain?
That's bullshit

Mr Silver
05-14-2006, 09:34 PM
I did admit in my last post that the one part that perhaps made my theory less likely was the "next fool martyr" line.

Hey, ease off though, if I present a theory of what this song is about that comes within one measly line of making sense, it deserves a little bit of kudos IMHO. The guys that are off base are those who just follow what they understood Maynard to say about the song in an interview, or just read the "Tool FAQ" or whatever the hell that is, rather than examine the lyrics themselves.

No probs big guy.

Just trying to keep you honest :)

...and in any equation (and all logical arguments are based on equations) "one measly line" can make a massive difference. Was a good post - just not very thorough.

And I'm feeling argumentative ;)

tbrent21
05-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Well anything's possible, including that Justin is the next fool martyr that is referred to. The way I thought of it this morning kinda fits -- to become a talented a band as TOOL has become, they certainly probably have had to sacrifice alot.

I mean was Picasso well-rounded? Probably not. He sacrificed to become what he became.

So Justin, welcome aboard, fool. You will gain alot, but who you were before this, well, its gone.

This could be the reference to martyrdom. What have they given up to dedicate themselves to their craft? We know from their level of musicianship that they've reached new heights. I'm sure they sacrificed a hell of a lot for their cause. And part of their cause being the bringing of a kind of consistent philosophical message to their listeners. Therefore its not a terrible stretch to think of that as akin to martyrdom as often referred to in the religious context.

Inner_Eulogy
05-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Well anything's possible, including that Justin is the next fool martyr that is referred to. The way I thought of it this morning kinda fits -- to become a talented a band as TOOL has become, they certainly probably have had to sacrifice alot.

I mean was Picasso well-rounded? Probably not. He sacrificed to become what he became.

So Justin, welcome aboard, fool. You will gain alot, but who you were before this, well, its gone.

This could be the reference to martyrdom. What have they given up to dedicate themselves to their craft? We know from their level of musicianship that they've reached new heights. I'm sure they sacrificed a hell of a lot for their cause. And part of their cause being the bringing of a kind of consistent philosophical message to their listeners. Therefore its not a terrible stretch to think of that as akin to martyrdom as often referred to in the religious context.

LMAO!! You gotta' be kiddin' me

moneyisevil
05-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Tool performed this song with Paul D'amour...

Eulogy: "this song is about martyrs" so yeah i do think this song COULD be aboutHubbard now that i think about it, but for so many years i tried to tie this song down to have one specific target (bill hicks, hubbard, even kobain) but now i believe this song is just about anyone in general who uses martyrdrom(osama, etc) as a weapon, or a way to brainwash people.
"i swallowed his facade cuz im so eager to identify with someone above the crowd, someone prepared to lead the way"
so mjk is also targeting weak minded people as well...

i mean for so long i heard/thought this song(Eulogy) was about Bill Hicks, but it never sat well with me b/c i thought this song was negative, and mjks and bills relationship was deffinatley not..

Mr Silver
05-15-2006, 04:10 PM

Now THAT is a better argument!

Nice post :)

Drawn Under
05-15-2006, 05:04 PM
One thing is true i must agree that it is not about Jesus. It may just be a mystery for us.

PhillyJoe
05-16-2006, 08:06 AM
I agree, there is no way this song is about Jesus. If anything I think this song actually makes Jesus out to be legitimate compared to the person they are describing. On many levels they mock their subject for pretending to be like Jesus when they truly are not. This is why the Hubbard comparison works so well. Also I do not think that Tool has to know the person individually just because they say "So long, wish you well." First thing I'll say when Bush leaves office is "Later pal, it was good knowing you. (Asshole)" Even though I have never been within 1,000 feet of the man.

Also it is well known that there is no bad blood between Tool and D'Amour. Based upon that, I find this argument to be in the same category of the Bill Hicks argument. I think this song is shedding way too much of a negative light for it to represent someone they were never on bad terms with.

Ultimately I do think there are aspects to this song that were influenced by many different people. I think L. Ron is the closest match, but I don't think this song has to be related to just one person.

tbrent21
05-16-2006, 09:01 AM
I agree, there is no way this song is about Jesus. If anything I think this song actually makes Jesus out to be legitimate compared to the person they are describing. On many levels they mock their subject for pretending to be like Jesus when they truly are not. This is why the Hubbard comparison works so well. Also I do not think that Tool has to know the person individually just because they say "So long, wish you well." First thing I'll say when Bush leaves office is "Later pal, it was good knowing you. (Asshole)" Even though I have never been within 1,000 feet of the man.

Also it is well known that there is no bad blood between Tool and D'Amour. Based upon that, I find this argument to be in the same category of the Bill Hicks argument. I think this song is shedding way too much of a negative light for it to represent someone they were never on bad terms with.

Ultimately I do think there are aspects to this song that were influenced by many different people. I think L. Ron is the closest match, but I don't think this song has to be related to just one person.

Cool - thanks for the info. It still strikes me as odd that after flat-out saying "fuck L. Ron Hubbard" in "AEnima" the song, why go on for eight and a half minutes crypically about him here to get the same point across. But the other thing is that they seem to be lamenting that at one pont the target "seemed to feel the same" and Tool was eager to identify with them. Again, this really rules out Hubbard, doesn't it? Surely Tool are not former scientologists. I can't see a way around that one.

As for D'Amour, I said all along I made the interpretation just on guesswork and that the lyrics seem to be about disassociating themselves from someone who at one point "seemed to feel the same", but they concluded no longer did. I will admit I don't know the first damn thing about their relationship with D'Amour. Just seemed like a theory worth mentioning, given among other clues, the timing of the album right after the split and the "why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy" line seeming to indicate to me that the target is alive and would have appeared to have heard this song and gave the band some kind of reaction.

As for whether D'Amour had any songwriting credit for this song, which someone suggested, I know they played "Stinkfist" alot while touring pre-AEnima. But I don't recall them ever playing this song while D'Amour was still in the band. Perhaps there's a set list out there that will prove or disprove this, but who knows.

Patroels
05-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Just how in hell could L. Ron Hubbard be seen as a martyr?
(If you're a scientologist, don't bother answering!)

The truth according to those of us who actually ARE capable of thinking for ourselves (http://www.xenu.net/)

PhillyJoe
05-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Cool - thanks for the info. It still strikes me as odd that after flat-out saying "fuck L. Ron Hubbard" in "AEnima" the song, why go on for eight and a half minutes crypically about him here to get the same point across. But the other thing is that they seem to be lamenting that at one pont the target "seemed to feel the same" and Tool was eager to identify with them. Again, this really rules out Hubbard, doesn't it? Surely Tool are not former scientologists. I can't see a way around that one.

As for D'Amour, I said all along I made the interpretation just on guesswork and that the lyrics seem to be about disassociating themselves from someone who at one point "seemed to feel the same", but they concluded no longer did. I will admit I don't know the first damn thing about their relationship with D'Amour. Just seemed like a theory worth mentioning, given among other clues, the timing of the album right after the split and the "why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy" line seeming to indicate to me that the target is alive and would have appeared to have heard this song and gave the band some kind of reaction.

As for whether D'Amour had any songwriting credit for this song, which someone suggested, I know they played "Stinkfist" alot while touring pre-AEnima. But I don't recall them ever playing this song while D'Amour was still in the band. Perhaps there's a set list out there that will prove or disprove this, but who knows.

When Tool says "someone who seems to feel the same" I think they are describing the people who follow someone like an L. Ron Hubbard. Not so much that they ever believed anything Hubbard ever said, Let's look at the lyrics in that part:

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice so strong and loud and I
Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me.

I think Tool is saying that there are so many "sheep" out there who are prepared to listen to anyone who gets in front of them and leads them regardless of what they are saying. As long as they identify with the person in some ways, they will follow that leader regardless of how ridiculous he is or sounds. This is how someone like L. Ron "tricks" people into following him. Tool's response is "At least Jesus had the cojones to die for his followers, why don't you go do the same?"

BTW, don't get me wrong, I whole-heartedly respect your opinion and I think it brings a lot to the table and a point of view on this song I hadn't thought about. I thank you for the enlightenment.

PhillyJoe
05-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Just how in hell could L. Ron Hubbard be seen as a martyr?
(If you're a scientologist, don't bother answering!)

The truth according to those of us who actually ARE capable of thinking for ourselves (http://www.xenu.net/)

If in fact the person in question is L Ron Hubbard, then Hubbard would be looked at as a martyr if he follows through with Tool's request to die for his people.

moneyisevil
05-16-2006, 09:03 PM
this song is about martyrs....since when was paul d'amour a martyr

walking_iris
05-17-2006, 09:43 AM
how strange that this is being discussed. i thought it was rather generally agreed upon that this song is about dead comedian, bill hicks.

tbrent21
05-17-2006, 12:07 PM
how strange that this is being discussed. i thought it was rather generally agreed upon that this song is about dead comedian, bill hicks.

"No way to recall what it was you said to me. Like I care at all."

This to me is the clincher that there's no way that they could be talking about Hicks. They want us to remember Hicks' ideology. The last thing they would say about him is "who cares whatever it was you were saying?"

Inner_Eulogy
05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Maybe it's about Brittany Spears...I mean, if you REALLY think about it, it makes perfect sense

PhillyJoe
05-19-2006, 06:24 AM
I thought it was about Brittany, but "I swallowed his facade" just doesn't work for that. Excellent try, though...

thomasknight
05-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Maybe what Maynard was thinking of was all of us and how we'd all be discussing it?

(also, could be about Hicks, although Maynard has obvious respect for him, he might also like to make the point that his thoughts and beliefs don't stem from one man, and he is showing how one should be critical of anything)

But, really i think it's a general song about his various experiences of people who have pissed him off

C-Finch
05-22-2006, 04:41 PM
The bible says that the antichrist will be the most popular and prized person on the face of the earth after the rapture... thats what the discovery channel said~ peace out!

Fenrirr
05-22-2006, 09:21 PM
To the original poster:

Is it just me or did you miss the sarcasm behind most of the lyrics? The song doesn't imply a personal relationship with anyone. So many tool songs are so open ended, why is everyone so obsessed with finding a specific person for this song? Give it up.

blood_wh0re
05-22-2006, 10:09 PM
seeing as the members of TOOL are multi-dimensional, i.e. w/ interests laying outside of this particular band/business project, perhaps the "person" addressed in eulogy is not someone you would know about...doesn't that just kill you, you DIEHARD?

DON IOTAE
05-24-2006, 10:28 AM
I know, when I write my poetry, I sometimes have multiple influences for the one poem and people who read it will say, "Who's that about?" Maybe, just maybe, it's not about someone but someones?

Absolutely.

tbrent21
05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
seeing as the members of TOOL are multi-dimensional, i.e. w/ interests laying outside of this particular band/business project, perhaps the "person" addressed in eulogy is not someone you would know about...doesn't that just kill you, you DIEHARD?

I'm actually inclined to agree with you. Hell of alot more likely you are right, then that its about L. Ron Hubbard.

Even if you are a dick about it.

Cows
05-28-2006, 07:03 AM
I don't see how Eulogy could possibly be about Bill Hicks, and I'm very doubtful it could be Paul D'Amour. Maynard clearly takes a sarcastic tone, and then an angry tone when adressing the subject of the song.

I personally think it is from the point of view of somebody who has been tricked into following a false martyr. The 'martyr' claims he would die for his beliefs but this is a lie hence he is surprised to hear his own eulogy.

It may well be based on a particular person or persons but applies to all such "fool martyrs", who will always exist and exploit people - they are all essentially the same regardless of what they espouse.

Fit4Demolition
06-09-2006, 09:18 AM
i dont know what this song is about, probably someone the fans dont know about like mentioned earlier. at first i thought it was jesus, i mean superfiscially it almost spells it out. even though there are a couple of lines that dont fit with jesus it could still be about him, but more likely its someone unknown to any of us or a bunch of people

ive been listening to how maynard sings certain songs, espescially the controversial ones, the ones people cnat figure out what they are about. i may be over estimating maynard, but to me it sounds like some of the lines that dont fit at all in some songs, almost sound different than everything else in the song, almost like its being sung by a different person, or another part of the mind. sort of like a musical, where multiple people are singing about different things, but still are in the same song. i dont know how much this applies to Eulogy, but its a possibility in my opinion. but it is more present in other songs, those of which i cant really recall right now, i usually notice it only when i hear it. i'll probably be flamed for putting this idea out there just like everyother idea i put out there that is different.

Janos
06-14-2006, 11:49 AM
The Jesus lines (come down/get off your fuckin cross/we need the fuckin space/to nail the next fool martyr) sound to me as if Maynard is mocking someone trying to elevate enough to trample Jesus himself. Someone who seems to work for a great cause, and though he wouldn't admit it (Even to himself? It's not uncommon...), he believes that his achievements are so damn big that after sometime, everybody will admire and praise him (and also, he will be rich and famous even after his death ;P). In his more "personal" thoughts. He thinks that dying as a martyr is enough to ascend him to a new Santa or Christ, even if his ego is in the long run rotten . So Maynard kinda says, "hey J.C., there's this new guy who thinks he has outran you." If J.C. could talk from his crucifix, he would laugh the hell out of his. Along with Maynard.

So it's not about Jesus. It can't be about Cobain, this is just nonsense. Nor it is about Paul, at least so it seems based on the facts the guys write. Bill Hicks? Tool use his voice and his ideas and present him as Another Dead Hero, could all of this be just mockery? Dump sacrasm? I don't know about L. Ron Hubbard though. OK, they do spit in his face directly enough in Aenema, but in Aenema they generally spit directly. (I do feel there's some connection though, betweeen "the next fool martyr" and "all his cllones". Think about it, it makes perfect sense.) The fact that Tool are no former Scientologeeks doesn't really say much to me. L. Ron could have been an inspiration for Maynard or Tool during their adolescense, when information overloads and you tend to do weird stuff. (I'm very young so this is pretty fresh to me -there were times when I would call myself an admitted ethnicist- adolescence means time so damn dark that you follow any light you see) And you know, these guys are so into alternative knowledge and stuff, and to be really int something, you must undergo through certain phases of not being that really into. That' when you get fooled.

Another guess is that Maynard talks both generally and specifically. And why wouldn't he? His lyrics entail all the multi-layerness in the world. So he speaks about false martyrs and stuff, but he also leaves some space so that he can become direct towards a person or a league of persons. And dont forget; just because Eulogy is so fuckin' great doesn't mean it is pointed towards someone big, someone you know. Maynard could just be Eulogizing a relative or friend that he admired but after he passed away or, Maynard found out that he was a fake, so damn all my faith in you, my inspiration, you role model, you sucker. So long for your trip to the Afterlife, and I know that you can hear this (why are you so surprised...). (read the line in bold many times, until you believe it! :P) And yes, death could be metaphorical, it's just that I don't wanna repeat stuff already said.

So far, the only stable enough interpretation, for me, is the one on the FAQ (WE LOVE THE FAQ!!!). Other than that, everyone can just go on and post a new song meaning. And for every "MY INTERPRETATION" post, ten "OK, after all, Maynard's lyrics are adaptable" posts will pop up. I think this pretty much sums up the whole Eulogy mystery, which IMO it is only there if you so much want to be (what? It's adaptable!).

bloodshed344
06-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Seems kinda weird this would be about Paul D'Amour considering he was with them during the recording of this.

Terry21
06-30-2006, 01:01 AM
The best reason is because this song is about a living person and Jesus and L. Ron are both dead.

this_pain_is_an_illusion
06-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Can someone explain to me why Tool hate L. Ron Hubbard so vehemently? I mean, I know the guy is a clinically insane alien worshipper, but why does Tool frequently target him?

bloodshed344
07-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Beware Xenu! He shall explode the volcanoes!

I think thats why.

Anthony2006
07-02-2006, 06:07 PM
I think it's just about self-rightious fanatics (and in some cases martyrs). Just a big fuck-you to them.

mentosman42
07-05-2006, 07:11 PM
i have to agree with the idea that there is no one actual person they are talking about, even if there was one sigular person they were thinking about while writing this song i think that they generalized most of what they were saying so that you wouldnt be able to sit down and go, they wrote this song about this person because that just doesnt fit them

i believe that they write their music so that it can mean different things to different people and that there is no single meaning behind their lyrics whether they intended it to be interpereted like that or not, if they say apples and you hear oranges and it makes sense to you and you take something away from the song meaningful they will feel like they have done their jobs

one_reflection
07-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I think it's just about self-rightious fanatics (and in some cases martyrs). Just a big fuck-you to them.

I agree with that definately. I initially thought it was about religion...but that could be just one part of the collective.

DON IOTAE
07-08-2006, 09:39 AM
why does everybody write "definately", instead of "definitely"?

tbrent21
07-11-2006, 06:09 AM
why does everybody write "definately", instead of "definitely"?

Oddly enough, I'll never forget, I spelled that word as "definately" on a high school physics lab report and got a point taken off (when there were only 10 possible points). Fucking physics lab report, man - who cares if you mispell a word like that! Fucking cruel teacher, all I can say. And it came at a time when I needed to get my grade in that class up in order to stay on the basketball team because my parents were holding that over my head.

Needless to say, I've never forgotten the correct spelling after that.

DON IOTAE
07-11-2006, 06:51 AM
^ lol

and I don't think your teacher was being cruel... I was a math teacher in high school, and if the kids mispelled a word (like definitely) or said something like "in Czechoslovakia..." (which we now know is two different countries...), I'd take points off. I believe in education as an integral matter, and, well, you shouldn't be allowed to mispell in any subject, math, science, or Literature!

Sheesh, I sound like my old self again...

bionic_anchovy
07-18-2006, 10:02 PM
I agree that Paul seems to be the most likely, however if you add a bit of poetic lisence to the lyrics you will see that it still could be anyone.

I think Bill Hicks is an outside chance, with some tounge in cheek lyrics. Think about MJK being angry somewhat at Hick's passing when he died from a disease probably brought on by his past massive drug use. He is frustated that Hicks passed on so early when he could have accomplished a lot more in his life. And yes, the person can be dead if you assume that MJK believes the dead can still hear what is going on.

Anyway, outside chance.

I agree, particularly if it was written during the denial/anger period of the grieving process. An angry lament...

Can someone explain to me why Tool hate L. Ron Hubbard so vehemently? I mean, I know the guy is a clinically insane alien worshipper, but why does Tool frequently target him?

Probably because he embodies all that Tool hate about organised religion. Even more so than guys like Pat Robertson, because Hubbard is an actual phoney. Pat Robertson is a stone-age nutjob, but he at least believes what he says. Hubbard is actually quoted as saying something along the lines of "If you want to make lots of money, start a religion." And Scientology is a VERY expensive religion to be a part of.

Theheroeshavedied
07-19-2006, 02:37 AM
Maybe it's about Brittany Spears...I mean, if you REALLY think about it, it makes perfect sense

i don't think tool wouldn't even bother wasting their time writing a song about brittany spears. mother nature teases her enough...
this song is probably not about some big name or VIP, but someone ordinary whose ego is clearly out of control...

guttersnipe
07-20-2006, 03:36 AM
I read a long time ago that this song was/ could be about politicians. I'm not claiming this to be the absolute meaning of the song but it could explain how the person Maynard's addressing is still alive to hear what he's saying even though he's 'dead'. In other words the politician is a martyr, and he's dead not because his heart stopped beating but because he's been voted out of office.

"Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried."
^^ He tried to become god-like/ immortal but ultimately he is human and just like the rest of us and has faults. Still, he tried.

"Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart."
^^ Claiming that everything he stands for is just and true, unable to see any foibles in his own beliefs or actions while liberally attacking others who have a different view and way of seeing things.

"Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice so strong and loud and I
Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me."
^^ Illustrating the way people identify with 'leaders' and how they expect them to be perfect and fulfill the role of being a martyr.

"Will you? Will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you fuckin lie.

Don't you step out of line.
Don't you fuckin lie."
^^ The politician has made some mistakes and people are seeing that he's not perfect after all and they are pissed off when they realise this. Him 'stepping out of line' is showing imperfections and weaknesses.

"You've claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?"
^^ Don't think about this literally. Metaphorically our politician made himself out to be a martyr in that he'd die for his cause for the benefit of the greater good. Therefore if he was really prepared to die literally it shouldn't suprise him when his career ends because apparently he was prepared to go all the way for what he believed in anyway. He didn't die physically but the belief the people had in him did, so within the context of this metaphor he is dead.

"You had alot to say.
You had alot of nothing to say."
^^ The politician used to have a captive audience but they've tired of what he's got to say because he has let them down and to them his words have become empty.

"Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr."
^^ Now the public know he's not the real deal they're calling a spade a spade and telling him to stop posing and to make way for the new guy. Also points out that this is a cycle.

"To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified
For your sins and your lies.
Goodbye..."
^^ This is basically saying that what is happening to this politician/ leader is what naturally happens to people like them. They have to die at some point (figuratively) and so they really are being made a martyr by being voted or kicked out of office (crucified) because of what they did (sins and lies). So they shouldn't be suprised to hear their own eulogy because their career has died and they were a martyr for their cause which is what they claimed all along.

Theheroeshavedied
07-20-2006, 04:17 AM
^^
very interesting point, it might likely be so! it felt strange that tool hadn't yet written anything on politician bs.... thanks for the useful insight!

07-20-2006, 11:21 AM
If you can't accept that the allusion to Jesus is at least there then you are very, very silly.

Theheroeshavedied
07-20-2006, 12:10 PM
If you can't accept that the allusion to Jesus is at least there then you are very, very silly.

he is using jesus as an ideal comparison, but this song is not about jesus IMO...
it's not like tool to condemn jesus' sacrifice.

anarcho-commie
07-20-2006, 02:46 PM
I think it's about martyrs in general.

bionic_anchovy
07-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah, a rant against self-righteousness and martyrdom.

I still like the Bill Hicks hypothesis as well though.

Theheroeshavedied
07-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Yeah, a rant against self-righteousness and martyrdom.

I still like the Bill Hicks hypothesis as well though.

now that's a very likely hypothesis. it might have somthing to do with the saints, and religious warmongerors

ShadowLine
07-21-2006, 03:34 PM
genrally i think its about people that think they are better than others.

chris
x

ShadowLine
07-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Just an afterthought, what about religious missionaries or the crusaders in the middle east?

chris
x

etc43
07-28-2006, 08:54 PM
The only problem with the Paul theory is the fact that Paul wrote the song. They played "Eulogy" live when Paul was still their bassist and before Aenima came out. I doubt he wrote a song about how he was a false martyr and had to go.

tbrent21
08-08-2006, 03:54 PM
The only problem with the Paul theory is the fact that Paul wrote the song. They played "Eulogy" live when Paul was still their bassist and before Aenima came out. I doubt he wrote a song about how he was a false martyr and had to go.

This "fact" has been repeated often, with no backup, just stated as fact. "If some random stranger on the internet posts something as a fact, it must be true, right?" I would love to see some documentation that Paul "wrote the song". Is he credited on the album? For legal reasons they have to credit him on the copyrighted version of the release - they didn't. That is a fact that can be backed up. Its too bad the old set lists don't appear to be on this site anymore. As far back as they go the dates they did in late 1995. They did play Eulogy in December 1995 sets. But Justin was in the band by that time.

I'm not convinced this song is about Paul, as I've said all along, its just a better theory that its him or someone else (living) who the band has disassociated themselves from ("someone who seemed to feel the same"), than that its about Jesus just because one of the lines mentions a cross and we have to take the song literally and without allowing for artistic metaphor.

Rosenbarger13
08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Listen. Anything that has been said in this forum may be a great guess or theory, and it may be backed up with a large about of other theories, but I haven't seen any 100%, thought altering, evidence, especially in the "11 reasons", list to show me it's not about Jesus. Now I do understand that I don't know if I'm right. I am not by any means saying that. But You don't know if you are either. You have an idea and have turned it into a belief. And for any of you who have seen dogma, you know that's bad.

BigWeenie
08-12-2006, 03:48 PM
There isn't a single legitimate reason on this whole thread why the song isn't about Jesus...because that's too blatant??? well obviously not if so many people don't think it's about him. The only thing that comes close is the argument that the person must be alive... to a believer jesus is very much alive still. He has no ill feelings toward jesus as he wishes him well because his message is ultimately love...however over time the message is construed into worshipping the man not the message then its "we need the fuckin' space to nail the next fool martyr" because there will always be someone waiting for the position. Everything fits perfectly for jesus it's pretty ballsy to make such direct claims at what 2/3 of the world considers their savior.

roots
08-14-2006, 03:30 AM
Wrong wrong wrong. All the people you are talking about. Wrong.

Perhaps *none* of you have been in the military, been through recruit training.

When I first listened to Eulogy, I didn't really pay attention and then....*BLAM*

The lines, "Don't you step out of line, Don't you step out of line, Don't you step out of line, Don't you fucking lie"

I then knew instantly it was about his drill instructor and the military. Then I listened carefully and realised that the entire song fits so well to this conclusion.

The End

BigWeenie
08-14-2006, 11:26 AM
christianity also teaches people not to "step out of line"

ShadowLine
08-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Contrary to popular belief this song is not about Jesus but merely uses him as analogy. The band has stated in several interviews that this song is about L Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.

this was just a quote i found on net, not sure if its true.

then again the military thing i can really really identify with that, having being in the military (albeit cadets) but still it does fit pretty mcuh every lyric. but then again it could equally be about politicians.

chris
x

OGT from back in the day
08-14-2006, 05:49 PM
martyrs in general

Rosenbarger13
08-14-2006, 07:37 PM
I really agree with everything big weenie has said(Although because of his name, in any other circumstance that comment would be very dumb sounding). But regardless, I must agree with the fact that there are no reasons it CAN'T be about Jesus. There is plenty of evidence backing the fact that it is about someone else, but none saying it's not about Jesus. I am not going to sit here and tell everyone they're wrong, but I will say that no one is definatly right, unless of course Maynard himself says it. I'm sure as hell not going to argue with him.

But please understand me. You must be objective because, and let's be honest, you don't know. No matter how much you believe, belief doesn't make it real. You can accept that translation, but that's all you've done. Accepted it. Not proven it.

Anywho, Until I see evidence as to why it's not about Jesus as opposed to why it's about someone else, I'll stick with mine.

OGT from back in the day
08-15-2006, 06:52 PM
lmao

roots
08-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Nah Big Weenie, you don't get Christianity literally yelling those fucking words at you, unlike my experiences (and most peoples intitial experiences) of military hard nuts at recruit training. These are the guys that still believe in the "break you down to build you up" indoctraination idea, which is dying out in part. The song barely applies to Jesus.

While tool songs are typically layered with many references and Eulogy is probably the same, I am certain that it will be MJKs experiences in the military that are the inspiration for the song, a military (early '80s) many more times hard arse then it is today.

zchgla1
08-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Has anyone thought about this song in relation to Islamic fundamentalist suicide bombers acting as martyrs?? I'm not claiming that's what the song is about, but it makes sense. I don't really want to go through the lyrics and explain myself though. Think about it.

ShadowLine
08-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't really want to go through the lyrics and explain myself though. Think about it.

lol, lazy fucker.

chris
x

zchgla1
08-16-2006, 05:36 PM
It's true

lizbiz
08-27-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm not convinced this song is about Paul

I agree. I've always seen it as a generic message to a leader of a cult. Much like Opiate, "choices always were a problem for you, what you need is someone strong to guide you."

chubbyjesus
09-02-2006, 09:41 AM
How can people think this song is about Jesus or L. Ron Hubbard?

Because they mention a cross here? Metaphor, people!

Because in Anima they say "f*** L. Ron Hubbard and all of his clones"? Well, it seems like they know how to insult Mr. Hubbard directly and to the point, without resorting to eight and half minutes of lyrics which have to be stretched to fit that interpretation.

Let's take a look at the lyrics! There must be clues to follow!

1) So long. We wish you well.

This is someone that Tool knew personally, that they're saying goodbye to, and that they have no real ill feelings toward. We learn later that its a male ("He had a voice/etc/I swallowed his facade/etc"). Paul D'Amour perhaps? It would make sense. This is the first album recorded without him. I know in 1996 I wanted some explanation from the band why this bassist that I adored and worshipped in 1993 when I listened to Undertow again and again and again, was no longer around. Perhaps this is that explanation.

2) You told us how you weren't afraid to die. Well then, so long.

Tool did not know Jesus personally. Jesus did not tell Tool anything. Let alone that he wasn't afraid to die. By the way I don't think this person they are addressing is literally dying - I think they are dead to Tool in the sense of "goodbye, so long, you're dead to me and you had it coming."

3) Don't cry. Or feel too down.

Tool is telling Jesus or Mr. Hubbard not to cry or feel too down? It makes no sense. It makes more sense that this is someone they've ended a relationship with, that they have learned no longer "feels the same" although at one point they "seemed to feel the same."

5) Ranting and pointing his finger.

Another dead give away they are not addressing Jesus. Did Jesus rant and point his finger when delivering his message?

6) At everything but his heart.

It seems the person Tool is addressing had the quality of finding fault in the world around him but ignoring his own faults. Again, the Jesus interpretation is off the mark.

7) No way to recall what it was you said to me. Like I care at all.

The person they are addressing is someone they knew or listened to at one point, but no longer listen to (regretting now that they "swallowed his facade"), have forgotten what they were ranting and pointing their finger about, and no longer care.

8) So loud. You sure could yell.

Someone they witnessed yelling, so another strike against the Jesus interpretation. Come on now, did Jesus yell? Of course not.

9) You took a stand on every little thing and so loud.

Its becoming clear why Tool is saying "so long" to this person. They are annoying as hell, making an issue out of every little thing.

Another great clue. This is someone that Tool used to have in their lives but no longer. One big giveaway that this song is not about L. Ron Hubbard. I think we can all agree that Tool are not former scientologists.

11) Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?

This is a big line in the clue department, perhaps the biggest. First and foremost, the person they are addressing is alive and is hearing this song, so again it isn't Jesus or Mr. Hubbard, who died in 1986. And the person they are addressing seems to have perhaps heard this song before its release, understood it to be a eulogy or explanation of why Tool no longer could listen to all of his crap, and gave the band some reaction to it of surprise. Paul D'Amour perhaps?? Starting to come together, isn't it?

I don't see this line in the official lyrics section of this website, but in the first part of the song, I have always heard Maynard say, right before the big musical entree, "weird that I'll miss him." I am 99% sure of that lyric -- "weird that I'll miss him." This is an important line, in my view. Obviously there are plenty of clues that the song is about someone that Tool has disassociated themselves from. But the "weird that I'll miss him" line tells us also that there's really still no hard feelings (e.g. also, "we wish you well"). In other words, when Tool was around this guy, they couldn't wait to get rid of him, but now that he's gone, its "weird", but kinda miss the guy.

I look forward to hearing any of your comments, friends.

The song is about Henry Rollins.

philipg
09-06-2006, 09:12 AM
when they say us or we it doesnt necessarily mean tool
the proverbial us or we

BigWeenie
09-11-2006, 07:21 PM
it's about jesus

BigWeenie
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
to end the Paul D'amore argument search youtube.com for tool live you can easily find eulogy from '96 being performed by who is easily paul not justin....fags

OGT from back in the day
09-13-2006, 06:44 PM
it is about martyrs in general!!!

Opiate_Of_The_Mind
09-13-2006, 07:01 PM
The song is about Henry Rollins.

Did they have a downfall with Henry? If so do you know what it was/is about?

murph83
09-14-2006, 04:14 AM
it is about martyrs in general!!!

i like that idea

Davidow
09-21-2006, 01:53 AM
I don't know who is dying or already dead but this song rocks!
Listen to Fenrirr and don't waste your time.

GreenJellyFan
09-21-2006, 08:38 AM

Ya, can't be about Bill.

eternalnuisance.com
09-29-2006, 05:55 PM
I don't believe it's about Jesus, but I always thought of the lyric (as it's been brought up quite a bit) "why then are you so suprised to hear your own eulogy" as the subject in question being told (s)he's no longer welcome, that (s)he is dead to them, when (s)he knows damn well it was coming. Perhaps it's about Harry Manback?

fretforyourfigure462
10-06-2006, 08:58 PM

Agreed.
I feel that the songs may have multiple purposes. Just like in H...everyone thinks H. is about Maynard's son...well it could be. And it could also be about "choices" which Maynard publicly stated. And I myself think that "H" means heroine...

So yeah. This song could have multiple meanings as well.

Remember, Maynard isn't the only person in the band...

I'm sure the whole band collaborates their ideas for songs. Thus, creating song[s] with multiple meanings.

leper freind
10-19-2006, 10:56 AM
This "fact" has been repeated often, with no backup, just stated as fact. "If some random stranger on the internet posts something as a fact, it must be true, right?" I would love to see some documentation that Paul "wrote the song". Is he credited on the album? For legal reasons they have to credit him on the copyrighted version of the release - they didn't. That is a fact that can be backed up. Its too bad the old set lists don't appear to be on this site anymore. As far back as they go the dates they did in late 1995. They did play Eulogy in December 1995 sets. But Justin was in the band by that time.

I'm not convinced this song is about Paul, as I've said all along, its just a better theory that its him or someone else (living) who the band has disassociated themselves from ("someone who seemed to feel the same"), than that its about Jesus just because one of the lines mentions a cross and we have to take the song literally and without allowing for artistic metaphor.1995 San Bernardino, prior to Aenima being released , Paul D'Amour on bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNqE8CJmmCk