PDA

View Full Version : Tabla 2:07-3:52

sahilius
05-08-2006, 05:55 AM
Any Tabla players here? I was trying to work out the beats for 2:07 -3:52 and found it to be repetitions of 14 beats. Still trying to figure out the bols (notes) though.

Hiredugan
05-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Are Tabla's kinda like bongo's?

l3ster
05-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Are Tabla's kinda like bongo's?

Kinda like, except for different. hmmmm that sounded better in my head

I heard if you truley master the tablas you can levitate???

Hiredugan
05-16-2006, 10:50 PM
sweeeet!

e1minsterz
05-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Kinda like, except for different. hmmmm that sounded better in my head

I heard if you truley master the tablas you can levitate???

rofl. i don't know anything about tabla. i thought it was a kind of musical score or something when i first read about it. anyways. I was messing around with the stereoscopic stuff on the case and noticed that there are 4-5 exclusive number connections in the song titles(this is very very loose, but i'm hoping someone will notice something more because i can't find anything deeper): rosetta stONEd, right in TWO, viginte TRES, wings FOR marie (i know its kinda off), inTENsions. i'm sure that this is just coincidence, but i can't help think about a perfects circle's album Mer De Noms (Sea of Names in french), most of the track titles are names of some kind. The Album title has 10,000 which is a number (/laugh) so i was thinking about any correlation. help please.

edit: this is related to this thread because while talking about the tabla i looked at the thread name and remember my theory of numbers had originated from my noticing of the misspelling of the word intentions. so please don't delete/move this :)

Setve
05-20-2006, 07:22 PM
but for isn't a number.
maynard should ahve called the song "WINGS 4 MARIE!!!!!1111"

Koan
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Bongo's are traditional african percussion instruments.
Tabla's are traditional indian percussion instruments. They sound a bit more light and high pitched, but at the same time, more mysterious and dark in a way. I love how Danny's been incoperating them into his groove on the last few albums, at selected moments. He doesn't overkill it, and that's good. If you want some examples of excellent Tabla playing, listen to some Ravi Shankar. He plays the sitar, a very large and complex indian sting instrument, and his percussionists always use tabla's. The rythms they use are called raga's, and the beat changes so much it's unbelievable. It's a spiritual tradition, indian music is worth checking out!

Edit; by indian I mean, from india and not native american.

King_Shogun
05-24-2006, 12:03 PM
I know a little bit about tabla's (being Indian, a drummer and owning a pair). I'm not that great at theory, but I love how they are becoming more well-known and respected in other parts of the world.

If you're looking to hear some of the best tabla sounds you'll ever hear, check out Ustad Zakir Hussain or Ustad Alla Rakha. They are by far the pinnacle and innovators of the instrument today. If you're looking for a fusion between Eastern/Western styles, check out some stuff by Karsh Kale.

I really really love how Danny has been incoporating these sounds (Disposition, Intension) into their songs. I wish he would actually play on the records though, or use electronic tablas (Kale). For one thing, the sound is just not there (even Danny has admitted this in interviews). I realize it's most practical for him to do everything within the confines of his set, but I wish he would try to create better sounds, because it is possible. Does anyone else (who knows a little bit about tabla) feel this way?

With that being said...the patterns on the tabla seem like they are pretty clear cut. I'm not sure if you know the various notes, but you can distinctly hear the "dha's", "din's" and the muted notes. I think Danny is limited to the sounds he has, so i don't think he tries to do too many notes. But I think you are right about it being in 14 beats.

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love anything Danny does.

smeefsmeef
05-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Any Tabla players here? I was trying to work out the beats for 2:07 -3:52 and found it to be repetitions of 14 beats. Still trying to figure out the bols (notes) though.

It's actually repetitions of 11 beats.

undeniable dilemma
05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Tablas are fucking expensive.

TurdEye13
05-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I really enjoy the tabla on this track. It sets the stage for an awesome build up.

sahilius
05-26-2006, 10:43 AM
I feel that Danny is actually playing tablas with just his hands in this song, in opposition to Right in Two, where he has the sounds sampled into his electronic drums (confirmed at the Toronto show). Alas, this song will probably never be played live in it's album form, but if Danny broke out the tablas on stage it would be awesome! I know Danny has studied with Aloke Dutta, a tabla master from California, so he can play drums in their true form.

martyrinexile86
06-05-2006, 06:24 PM
I have the Concert for Bangladesh on CD and DVD and Ravi Shankar plays a composition on there that's just amazing! Alla Rakha is a brilliant Tabla player. I also have a CD by his daughter Anoushka called Live at Carnegie Hall. It's great. There's one song on it that's essentially a Tabla duet with her on sitar. It's unbelievable! There's parts of it where they play extremely fast. If you like the sound of Tablas, I suggest you pick that up.