PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stoned reminds me of that X-Files episode for some reason...

xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 11:50 AM
The guy in Rosetta Stoned talks about seeing ET while he is near Area 51.

In one episode of the X-Files (the one with Seth Green, well before Seth Green was famous), Mulder sneaks into another top secret military base (not area 51) and witnesses UFOs, then they take him and fry his memory.

The reason Rosetta Stoned reminds me of this X-Files episode is because we're all sitting here arguing about whether or not the guy in Rosetta Stoned actually experienced anything otherworldly. Well, in this episode, Seth Green plays the role of a stoner. When Green's character says that the UFOs they saw at the base look exactly like the one in the picture Mulder shows them, Scully later points out to Mulder that they were completely stoned and would've told Mulder whatever they thought he'd believe. But later in the episode we find out that, whether or not Green's character actually saw the UFO, Mulder DOES, and he is not under the influence of any drugs.

The government discovers him though (because he went well past where Green's character told him not to) and zaps his memory (MIB-style).

I'm not suggesting that I necessarily believe that any or all of the X-Files is even remotely true, BUT, I think might possibly be what MJK could've been hinting at with Rosetta Stoned. In the X-Files episode, Mulder had enough memory to know that he DID see something and that someone did take it away from him, he just couldn't remember what he saw.

Asprinbah
05-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Its funny that you mention that, because the character reminds me of Frohike from the Lone Gunmen.

xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Nah. As strange as the Lone Gunmen are, I somehow don't think any of them would fit as the type of person who'd fit in this situation. That's not to say that they wouldn't act this way in this situation, but just the fact that their focus seems to be a lot more on the GOVERNMENTAL stuff just makes me feel like a Lone Gunmen character doesn't fit this part.

God damn, the X-Files was such a good show.

Fox Mulder
05-07-2006, 01:56 PM
The X-Files was a fantastic show. Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this episode when I listened to this song for the first time.

Zaxang
05-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Haha, I know the episode you're talking about.

I don't think that MJK was thinking of that episode when he wrote the song, but the theme definitely connects.

On a slightly different note, everytime I re-listen to this song, a connection to the movie Donnie Darko also pops into my head. From being alone to no one believing you and thinking you're crazy...something there just clicks.

Aggroculture
05-08-2006, 11:27 PM
What the song has in common with X-Files/UFO-obsessed people is this desire to believe that there are aliens who contain the secret to our humanity which we are not privy to.

Mesher_dakimi
05-09-2006, 04:25 PM
While a proper xfile thread exist i just thought i should let everyone know that may 2nd at 2am the x-files episode with Burt Reynolds was on... essentially everything could be explaiined by a simple mathmatical equation, very good start to an awsome day of 10000 days , because i waited until the cd actually came out and guess what some guy i met while discussing tool gave me ayahausca so yeah- pretty much best day ever

mike009
05-09-2006, 06:01 PM
its funny you mention the correlation between the song and the episode, cuz the episode was on late last night on sci fi. pattern man.