PDA

View Full Version : A Welcome Interlude

Amethyst Believer
05-07-2006, 10:58 AM
This track really saved the album for me. I just bought it today, got myself nice and ready and stuck it on. I tried to fight it but a steady feeling of disappointment crept up on me, is this what Tool have become? All melodic riffs and time changes, no substance? Pot gave me some respite, it's good but above all it sounds fresh and new. There followed some good bits in the next tracks, mainly Rosetta Stoned.

This track, though. It just slapped me in the face and massaged my soul. Shivers don't cut it. As good as some moments on Lateralus. It was like all the rhythms and sounds being used on the album suddenly came together to be something. After this sensitization, I couldn't help but love the last two tracks.

Maybe in time I will learn to appreciate the rest of the album, but I think this track will remain my favourite for some time.

Amethyst Believer
05-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Listening to it again. The bass riff at the start is one of the most interesting and dark on the album, Maynard's vocals come in melodic and beautiful while Adam supports the bass riff with a counter-melody, and then Danny builds up the drums as only he can do, at his best. Then, when the music has run its course, it all drops away to look at the sound from another direction. Adam starts, with a lovely bit of guitar and the bass booms in underneath. Still dunno about the electronic-style drums, but they add a nice off-kilter feel to the standard build up/down that Tool so often use. And then the song finished with THOSE notes.

THIS is what I was expecting from the new Tool.

*see*you*auntie*
05-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Listening to this song definitely puts me into a zen-like state. I find it eerie and tranquil at the same time.