PDA

View Full Version : significance to me

iampete
05-07-2006, 10:11 AM
for me, the song is all about the drug taking experience (particularly LSD).

delusions of self importance because you're 'englightened' when you're on the drug and you know things others don't, despite anything else about your life 'and i didnt even graduate from fucking high school'. 'chosen one' etc.
Fears at times that you're gonna trip forever and lose your mind. Then fears that people won't believe what you tell them and you'll be trapped then in that sort of way.
'this shit never happens to me' for me, referring to either a bad trip or the brilliance of the trip. considering there's a lot of talk of fear and being completely fucked out of your mind 'am i alive am i dead' i'd say the bad trip option is closer, tho it could be a combination of both. no one ever expects it to happen to themselves, whatever they claim.

''Overwhelmed as one would be placed in my position
Such a heavy burden now to be the one
Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending
To write it down for all the world to see
But I forgot my pen shit the bed again''

your third eye has been opened, and its beautiful, in many ways. you've discovered true facts of existence, things you and no one else ever knew. (again self importance comes into play) but as 'i forgot my pen' it all slips away from you. you never quite touch it. you come close, but never quite make it, it slips out of your fingers.
the constant references to 'shit the bed', referring to dave, in general i think very much applies to taking drugs as a whole. it takes the song back to the physical realm, back to reality. while beautiful things may be happening in the experience, the reality of it all, is you're on a heinous chemical, warping your brain and your body. 'shit the bed' ....the dirty reality of drugs. you may rise to highest heaven (although it always does slip away from you), but in reality, you've humiliated yourself and you're even less significant than you were before.

just some of my thoughts...that's what the song is all about for me at least. but then the beauty of tool, is how personal each of the songs can be. as someone who's done a fair few drugs, it's prolly not surprising this is what it means to me. but there ya go.