hailthemaggots
05-08-2006, 07:06 AM
not REALLY no.

submachine
05-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Really, man.

Rosette feasted
05-10-2006, 03:27 AM
upload the part who sounds similiar please!

submachine
06-05-2006, 08:36 PM
cant you find it to download, check winmx

littlejason
06-06-2006, 01:53 AM
it makes sense, if you listen to the end of Parabola there's a riff in their thats almost exactly the same as part of Yes' "Revealing Science of God" only its a lot less of it. They've done it with King Crimson as well and i believe Pink Floyd, ut i can't remember what songs on those last two bands. They do that every once in awhile, i think its their way of saying "You like progressive rock? know your roots!"

submachine
06-11-2006, 01:49 PM
it makes sense, if you listen to the end of Parabola there's a riff in their thats almost exactly the same as part of Yes' "Revealing Science of God" only its a lot less of it. They've done it with King Crimson as well and i believe Pink Floyd, ut i can't remember what songs on those last two bands. They do that every once in awhile, i think its their way of saying "You like progressive rock? know your roots!"

I don't think its their way of saying anything, im not even sure its intentional. I know the Rush song I mentioned is relatively obscure.

I think its either two great bands finding a similar melody, or one great band (unknowingly) influenced by another.

paraflux
06-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes, influences come through regardless of intention, lots of times.

Happyfunball
06-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't think its their way of saying anything, im not even sure its intentional. I know the Rush song I mentioned is relatively obscure.

I think its either two great bands finding a similar melody, or one great band (unknowingly) influenced by another.
So when it comes to things like multiple sections of multiple songs sounding vaguely (or not so vaguely) familiar to other people's music, that's just a coinky-dink. But four lines pulled out of Vicarious and placed against an entire paragraph which is likewise a mere snapshot of somebody's larger opinion is almighty proof Maynard is influenced by Dawkins.

So musically they could have randomly happened upon riffs and progressions that mimic those of bands/artists they've known to have been influenced by. Maynard, on the other hand, couldn't have possibly drawn the conclusion of a chaotic and impersonal universe on his own.

submachine
06-18-2006, 11:56 PM
So musically they could have randomly happened upon riffs and progressions that mimic those of bands/artists they've known to have been influenced by. Maynard, on the other hand, couldn't have possibly drawn the conclusion of a chaotic and impersonal universe on his own.

Wow, you finally got something right.

encrusted
06-20-2006, 05:10 PM
If you want to bitch about things being derivative, then you probably shouldn't talk about Rush in public.

(I knew you were one of those Rush nerds. In fact, I TOTALLY called it.)

Fuck, thought I'd seen everything around here when some dude said Sabbath blows.

Slaggin' Rush?

On your bike blaspheme - their genius of instrumentation and composition is unassailable.

submachine
06-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Fuck, thought I'd seen everything around here when some dude said Sabbath blows.

Slaggin' Rush?

On your bike blaspheme - their genius of instrumentation and composition is unassailable.

The puppets anger at me will allow anything, even anti-Rush comments.

AloneOnceAgain97
06-22-2006, 12:45 PM
THANK YOU! I was wondering where I had heard that.

encrusted
06-24-2006, 01:52 PM
The puppets anger at me will allow anything, even anti-Rush comments.

This maltreatment of you by the gathering geek-mob is an outrage!

duncang
07-01-2006, 12:23 AM
I can't be assed to find a link to it, but the Lateralus intro also sounds like a Rush song.