PDA

View Full Version : Situational Antipathy

shade13
11-23-2002, 12:20 PM
I see that a lot of people really just don't like this song.
Ok.. 'tis your own opinion.

But I would like to bring to your attention the vast diversity of situations where T&L could fit into a persons life.
I will take it as already acknowledged in your consciousness that all the songs on the album have several deep layered meanings behind them. The Grudge, to me, is related to the Kabbalistic tree of life, and the simple act of making a choice, Period. Not to mention the dozens of other subtle messages.

With Ticks and Leeches, I feel that its not a throwback to AEnima, or Undertow, moreso the ultimate evolution of all those songs. Take Intolerance, and you will find essentially the same message. Does this make it a bad peice of art? No. It's just from a different angle, under a different light. I believe Maturation is the word.

People here have suggested that it's related to Relgion, or Dogma, or us fans, or to the other celebrities in the world, or world leaders themselves, whomever. They're all right. But it can also be as simple a message as being pissed at the common cold. It's taken all it can take from you, you're annoyed and want to be healthy. It's called WILL POWER. Will yourself to remove this annoyance from you. In light of the more Zen Buddhist elements, it could be anger itself the song is opposing.

The fact of the matter is, the song DOES belong on the album. Why? Cuz it is. I do agree with whomever it was that said to listen to the CD without T&L. It will dramatically affect the mood. I also personally see the song in a class all its own.

Unlike Parabola, or Lateralus, or Disposition, where the direct meaning can be a bit vague, with Ticks and Leeches, it goes for the throat. It's completely sarcastic "Suck me dry" (please, tell me you caught the blow job reference there) but it is completely serious too. You cannot squeeze blood from a stone. When there's nothing left to give, there's nothing left to give.

It's all up to your own interpretation, but I see this song as the ultimate in agitated response to opposition. They don't need to write another angry song again because anything more they could possibly say about being pissed off and wanting to remove the other person is said right here! That's why it's on Lateralus. Because it encompasses the whole.