PDA

View Full Version : greek tragedies and vicarious

cold and faded anger
05-06-2006, 12:27 PM
just a thought but...

i think the lines around "killed by his own son" were taken out of greek tragedies...that line reminds of the Oedipus story...does anyone know if the lines around there are related to other kinds of tragedies? not much do with the songs meaning but i think its a kinda interesting little find...or summmin.

fugitive538
05-07-2006, 07:02 AM
just a thought but...
i think the lines around "killed by his own son" were taken out of greek tragedies...that line reminds of the Oedipus story...does anyone know if the lines around there are related to other kinds of tragedies? not much do with the songs meaning but i think its a kinda interesting little find...or summmin.

Well, its actually "Shot by his own son", so its not that greek i suppose:-)
Unfortunately just the event of a son murdering a father is not that unique, neither are the other kinds of deaths mentioned in the lyrics, so i dont think they are in any reference of greek tragedies.
(it just came to my mind that for example Ophelia in the Hamlet was "drowned by the ocean" (i know its english, not greek.), but i still dont see any connection.))

NeonGod
05-07-2006, 09:22 AM
It's about our fascination with death, as long as we're safe from it. Simple as that...
The OP's line is part of a series of typical news headlines we would read/hear about.