PDA

View Full Version : I used to think Right in Two was pretty good...

identitat soldat
05-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Then I had a bunch of Jack Daniels and now it's pretty much the best thing that's ever happened to me. This song is way beyond ridiculously amazing.

vicarious462
10-15-2006, 07:21 AM
well said!!! But it is good without the Jack Daniels....trust me!!!

Then I had a bunch of Jack Daniels and now it's pretty much the best thing that's ever happened to me. This song is way beyond ridiculously amazing.

BabyDal
10-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Definitely...for some reason, it took me time to digest this song (and the album in general) before realizing just how great it is.

J Stebbins
10-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Definitely...for some reason, it took me time to digest this song (and the album in general) before realizing just how great it is.

This song was probably the first song that I liked the most, the rest took a few listens to have an aquired taste.

wix3l
10-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Try this song on shrooms.

jonboy
10-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Understanding the lyrics helps

BabyDal
10-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Understanding the lyrics helps

Totally...Dunno if any of you have the same experience, but for any song, generally, I always get absorbed in the instruments. Even when I try my hardest to listen to the lyrics, I end up having to rewind and stuff...

SpiraMirabilis
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Any music sounds good when you're on JD. I can even listen to SOAD when pissed.

Anyway, I would say that Right in Two has a perfection only bettered by Lateralus.

base metal
10-17-2006, 07:33 PM
My favorite track on 10K and how 'bout them tablas, GO DANNY, GO DANNY!!

Confield
10-22-2006, 07:59 AM
This song is so huge and immense, it really is hardest of all their songs to warm up to, in my opinion. The vocals inevitably draw a lot of APC comparisons and make it even harder to like (the vox really aren't even necessary, imo, but give it that extremely cheesy prog flavor). Adam's guitar work in the first half is gorgeous and his solemn, palm-muted DFDFDDFDDFDCG riff is one of my favorites. Danny's drumming brings shrooms quickly to mind, especially in the heavy build-up to the wah section. There's something very intimate about this track and they were all obviously in a very vulnerable state of mind (or this is the best melodramatic, half-hearted, phoney pop song I've ever heard). I'm finally getting it broken down on paper, getting the parts right on guitar/bass, and the intricacies, interwovenness, and beauty of the melodies AND rhythms in this song are more and more overwhelming as I go, even if the intro riff really does sound like something Borland might think up on a Tool binge. To me this is by far the most complicated, arranged song Tool have ever done, but I think you have to break all the parts down correctly to understand why I think so.

dseecs
10-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Totally...Dunno if any of you have the same experience, but for any song, generally, I always get absorbed in the instruments. Even when I try my hardest to listen to the lyrics, I end up having to rewind and stuff...

Thats why I love tool soo much everything blends and the whole songs seems like one single intstrument produced it.

This an awesome song one of my favorite some of the chords just send chills through me. I love Danny on the drums in this song too.

Not to mention the message of the song "silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down"

parsad13
10-25-2006, 09:06 PM
i always seem to go through cycles as well with this album. sometimes i feel like listening to Vicarious > Jambi. Sometimes it's LK > Rosetta Stoned. Recently it's been Intension > RIT. and every time I go back to the songs I haven't listened to in a while, there's something I missed. Pretty sweet overall.

tool fan
10-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Right in Two is such an awesome tune and it couldn't have come out at a more appropriate time. I wish everybody on this fucked up planet would just listen to this message. We are just a bunch of silly monkeys bent on destroying ourselves and everything around us.

Hopefully that doesn't happen until after Tool puts out their next album.

Shpongleyes
11-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Try this song on shrooms.

haha, yeah wix. I did, when i went and saw them at the Tower in Philly. Great stuff. And I'm sad I didn't get to hear the song again in Camden....

mr. nikki jensen
11-07-2006, 02:30 AM
right in two is the most played track on my media player. it surely shows my love for this track. i never get tired of the last half in this song. its easy to break the neck while headbangin (i can't force myself not to do it) to the 5:23 to 7:30. it goes right into my balls, giving me a tiny little orgasm

heh

PShepherd11
11-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Well, Tool is definitely auditorily orgasmic. :)

waltz46n2
12-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Right in Two is such an awesome tune and it couldn't have come out at a more appropriate time. I wish everybody on this fucked up planet would just listen to this message. We are just a bunch of silly monkeys bent on destroying ourselves and everything around us.

I agree excellent song at an excellent time in our lives. It make me laugh when i listen to it sometimes with the visual images and all, but then i think how screwed up we really are!!

DON IOTAE
12-04-2006, 05:29 PM

good thread.

SpiralReflection
12-04-2006, 09:52 PM
At first I wrote this song off as "nothing special." Now it's right up as one of my favorites and brought on a new appreciation for Intension as well.

DON IOTAE
12-05-2006, 08:40 AM
^ same here...

Ænimic4six1
12-22-2006, 10:16 PM
wow ^ ur avatar is great...first i thought it was a still...

DON IOTAE
12-22-2006, 10:23 PM
;)

good eye.

edit: ur avatar fuckin rocks!

ThirdEyEwidEopEn
12-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Yea this one is defintely special isnt it, I really enjoy learning it but ive just got 2 or 3 riffs but lemme tell ya their fun all tool songs are fun and difficult alot times, their complex as shit really what am I saying. I like trying to push it to the next level, learn new harder stuff... guitar rules. That tabla is not to shabby either ;p I like Danny he seems really personable and funny, someone you could chill and get baked with. Their all cool though, I wanna see adam J's place I was watching some interview on the Utube, and the guy had heard and was asking em their was some outlandish shit or something really scary at his pad. Maynard said he wasnt at liberty to say. :D :D :D

resonance.
12-24-2006, 07:57 PM
I still just can't listen to this song... I can't get past the first minute

DON IOTAE
12-25-2006, 08:37 AM
^ u poor thing, you.

HelenA
01-09-2007, 10:51 PM
I often make my (poor defenceless) students listen to Tool and I had this one guy in a class who was a drummer, and he listened to Right in Two and said "nice piece of improvisation" and then when I told him that Danny plays it exactly the same live - he was just blown away. (I hope I am right - they have played it live haven't they?)

I think this is my favourite tool song.

DON IOTAE
01-10-2007, 07:07 AM
yes, Right in Two.

fuckin A

Mattywasaracecardriver
01-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Bastard! i agree right in two is amazing, but i thought that from the first hearing. granted i did have the lyrics in front of me for it, which i dont normally do. its the lyrics that made the song for me at first now its the actual tunige.

the bastard! is for the simple fact that i cant see that iota's avatar is not a still, whats goin on there. please help

PShepherd11
01-15-2007, 06:18 PM
He's changed it since that was written. But it's kind of funny to imagine someone watching it for a while, waiting for something. :)

DON IOTAE
01-15-2007, 06:40 PM
ill have to look it up again...

Mattywasaracecardriver
01-16-2007, 03:40 PM
hahhahah im an idiot
interesting test though, i wonder how long people would keep looking at a still if you told them there was something odd about it or it was moving, i was probably ther for about three minutes at a constant stare, unbeleivable.

PShepherd11
01-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to make fun; you didn't know. I was just wondering a few days ago what would happen if someone made a comment on someone's avatar that had changed and a new member would be thinking, "What the hell?" Didn't expect that to really happen. :)

EssnayRepXTamEt
01-17-2007, 03:24 PM
I don't find liquor enhances my musical experience any...

Weed and shrooms though.... oh yes.

And I agree with those who are mentioning shrooms and this song. I remember listening to it while on the shroom buzz. Ha, pretty intense.

bassmaster
01-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Alcohol makes me more emotional towards music, and indeed other life aspects.

Psychadelics allow one to really 'get' where the artist is coming from, have a deeper understanding of the connection of the music and it's relation to it's subject matter and appreciate the ability and skills of the artists in an even greater way.

MDMA just makes being there an absolutely incredible experience (seeing Tool last Sunday at the Big Day Out in the Gold Coast, Australia, was just this).

I Am Love
01-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Any music sounds good when you're on JD. I can even listen to SOAD when pissed.

Anyway, I would say that Right in Two has a perfection only bettered by Lateralus.

TRUTH.

FightingMonkey
04-02-2007, 02:05 PM
This is one of those songs that I listen to late at night on my way home when I've been at the bar just a touch too long. The lyrics always grab me, and since discovering its depth and gravity I have used it as a testament to the power and grace of Tool.

Beware all casual listeners of Tool: If we encounter, rest assured knowing you will be converted.

Oh yeah...one night my buddy was rolling (X) and I introduced him to Tool using this greatest hits I created from all of my albums. Disc 1 of 3 leads off with this song and it absolutely melted his face. It was great. He has since joined the ranks and devoted himself to the greatness that is Tool.

resonance.
04-02-2007, 02:13 PM

Heh. (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=79242)

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-02-2007, 09:02 PM
He's changed it since that was written. But it's kind of funny to imagine someone watching it for a while, waiting for something. :)

I would be that "someone" i was like...that shit is not moving. what are you people talking about?! I think i was goin crazy there for a second.

author of bible
04-03-2007, 03:05 PM
the best thing about this one is, the lyrics are void of subtlety,and yet so intricately woven..
man!.. ive ran out of words..

Esurient4Truth
04-03-2007, 03:23 PM

? Jack Daniels ? I know that stuff cures the common cold, but enhancing a musical experience?

Dude, I'm gonna try that

sonicanimal6
04-03-2007, 08:48 PM

Hahaha, yes, yes, and yes again. Keep in mind, though, not to become one of the silly ones. :)

pork chops
04-04-2007, 11:54 AM
second best song on the record. however......this song live pwns pretty much everything else.

broughtskin
05-25-2007, 04:12 PM
just started listening to this song i think its amazing, and i can understand it for myself rather than having to read everyone elses interpretations on what it REALLY means

Esurient4Truth
05-25-2007, 07:22 PM
second best song on the record. however......this song live pwns pretty much everything else.

sorry bud. Wings for Marie/10,000 Days Live pwns.

toolwithapenis
05-29-2007, 09:10 AM
sorry bud. Wings for Marie/10,000 Days Live pwns.
agreed!

Cheesegreater
05-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Right in Two is pretty fucking phenomenal live. It's all about the drums. Danny kicks ass so rediculously good in this song, and Adam's guitar is on perfect time, and then there's that wall of sound produced by the guitar, bass, and drums before the last chorus. Just amazing shit.

base metal
05-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Right in Two is pretty fucking phenomenal live. It's all about the drums. Danny kicks ass so rediculously good in this song, and Adam's guitar is on perfect time, and then there's that wall of sound produced by the guitar, bass, and drums before the last chorus. Just amazing shit.

Indeed. This is one of my favorite songs on 10K, but live it was absolutely incredible. They're playing it like champs.

HelenA
06-02-2007, 03:34 AM
I would LOVE to see this song live. You guys are so lucky.

Toolfan46&2
06-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I would LOVE to see this song live. You guys are so lucky.

Yes this is a great song live. I was lucky enough to hear it in South Haven Miss.

Ghostwriter
06-20-2007, 07:27 PM

Same here. Their style changes every album.