PDA

View Full Version : Worst song on album?

rachmiel4
05-05-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm beginning to think this is the worst song on the album, only because the rest of the album is that great. It's a good song, but (at this point, at least for me) it almost doesn't seem to fit with the theme/s in the rest of the album.

third_eye96
05-06-2006, 03:20 AM
WTF R U ON ABOUT. This song isn't the best but what about lost keys and all that shit?

submachine
05-06-2006, 03:25 AM
I'm beginning to think this is the worst song on the album.

Not only is it the best song on the album, but it is mixed great with Danny's drums way upfront. Maynard all over the place, and adam in the background where he belongs.

apathetic goat
05-06-2006, 03:59 AM
Vicarious kicks ass. The hell with you.

The Scottish Tool
05-06-2006, 06:44 AM
1. Rosetta Stoned
2. The Pot
3. Jambi
4. Vicarious
>5. other shit.

Thats the order there.

2and46
05-06-2006, 06:57 AM
If you're not counting Viginti or Lipan, I'd have to say Rosetta. However, this is still better than 99% of shit out there today, it's not like I have to turn it to something else.

Max T.
05-06-2006, 12:37 PM
lets make this easy and NOT think about which song is the worst, because that does not exist. Danny Carey (and everyone) is too badass on this song and on every song to make an argument about Vicarious being a weak recording.

Max T.
05-06-2006, 12:38 PM
1. Rosetta Stoned
2. The Pot
3. Jambi
4. Vicarious
>5. other shit.

Thats the order there.

shut up

consumer#417
05-06-2006, 02:31 PM
i don't think the album really starts until wings for marie. vicarious and jambi are just to warm you up a little. and i like jambi more, so vicarious is my least favorite track...

littlejason
05-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Vicarious fits less with the theme of the record, and more with a theme the band seems to enjoy. Stupid People and their Stupid Shit. It's vaguely in the same vein as Aenima (the song) about followers and and being sheep and cattle and all that. Only this one is saying, 'stop thinking you're better than them because whether you like it or not, YOU are cattle just like the rest of us.' God damn if that isn't true in my opinion.

But, when you look at songs like Right In Two and The Pot it actually does fit in pretty well. It's not the best song on the record, but certainly not the worst.

tool25
05-06-2006, 03:50 PM
worst song (if u could pick a bad one) for me would have to be right in two, i guess.

sco999
05-06-2006, 04:04 PM
shut up

I agree with you Max T.

Crisispoint
05-06-2006, 04:11 PM
My worst song would have to be The Pot and Rosetta Stone, other than that I pretty much enjoy the rest. Vicarious is dangerous. Love the sound, lyrics.

montsegur
05-06-2006, 05:25 PM
vicarious is bad all right but at least 4 or 5 of the songs from this album are not actually real songs....

escapeme
05-06-2006, 05:39 PM
I dont think there is a 'bad' song on it, just one we may enjoy more than the rest and isnt the point that each person like or dislike what they want because they will all hit us differently.....individually. Sometimes what you dislike the most also has the most effect on you. Most just dont recognize it as such.

Sporkk
05-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Vicarious is perfect for an opener of the album. Maybe not the best song on the album, but certainly up there. I like the mix with Danny's awesome drumming right up the front.

With the except of Viginti Tres and Lipan, I'd have to say Wings for Marie is actually one of the weakest. All the other tracks are just so damn good.

submachine
05-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Ticks > Aenima CD > Lateralus CD > Vicarious > 10000 Days CD

Psilo
05-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Vicarious is fucking awesome.

and dont you just love the posters who have posted nothing but negativity towards 10k since it came out? its like they cant post about anything else anymore.

Forsete
05-07-2006, 12:22 AM
I'm beginning to think this is the worst song on the album, only because the rest of the album is that great. It's a good song, but (at this point, at least for me) it almost doesn't seem to fit with the theme/s in the rest of the album.

i never really did understand the point of making a hierarcy of songs (and albums for that matter). just because some songs are fantastic, doesn't mean you have to compare and give other songs poor descriptions... however; one will always have favorites, i just don't see the point of having to make other songs worse just because some are so brilliant.

p.s.
i LOVE vicarious. perfect opening to the album. first time i listened to the album, and it opened with this song, i just knew the entire album was GRAND even before having listened through it... and not only was it grand, i was overwhelmed...genious!

neel1234
05-07-2006, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Forsete]i never really did understand the point of making a hierarcy of songs (and albums for that matter). just because some songs are fantastic, doesn't mean you have to compare and give other songs poor descriptions... however; one will always have favorites, i just don't see the point of having to make other songs worse just because some are so brilliant.

definatley, i agree completely. we all have favourites but when listening to this album (or any tool album) ,i'm not looking at it from an individual song basis, like i would with many other bands. but its a tool album, all of it fitting together as one experience (the word progression springs to mind) and to be honest i think this album has done it better than lateralus was able to accomplish (not criticising lateralus in anyway because it is a masterpiece). all the songs are good, why compare, or say one song is wicked and the other is 'bad'?

The Scottish Tool
05-19-2006, 09:35 AM
shut up

thats the order of goodness -> badness, Rosetta Stoned is amazing!
sorry if theres a mix up.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Vicarious fits less with the theme of the record, and more with a theme the band seems to enjoy. Stupid People and their Stupid Shit. It's vaguely in the same vein as Aenima (the song) about followers and and being sheep and cattle and all that. Only this one is saying, 'stop thinking you're better than them because whether you like it or not, YOU are cattle just like the rest of us.' God damn if that isn't true in my opinion.

But, when you look at songs like Right In Two and The Pot it actually does fit in pretty well. It's not the best song on the record, but certainly not the worst.

I think Vicarious is mor simialr to Stinkfist. Or more like a continuation.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-19-2006, 09:45 AM
p.s.
i LOVE vicarious. perfect opening to the album. first time i listened to the album, and it opened with this song, i just knew the entire album was GRAND even before having listened through it... and not only was it grand, i was overwhelmed...genious![/QUOTE]

when i first heard vicarious (past the 30 second teaser on the website) i got chills. The bit where the kinda bell is ringing before the drums kick in gets mne everytime i can physically fel my ears pricking up.

Thanatos
05-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Vicarious fits less with the theme of the record, and more with a theme the band seems to enjoy. Stupid People and their Stupid Shit. It's vaguely in the same vein as Aenima (the song) about followers and and being sheep and cattle and all that.

I disagree. It seems to me that this song is the opener for a reason. Kind of like when Lateralus warned us about overanalysing which we did anyway, Vicarious tells us about our hunger for tragedy which just happens to be the subject of the next 3 songs (his dead mother).

BSUfanatic
05-19-2006, 07:06 PM
1. Rosetta Stoned
2. The Pot
3. Jambi
4. Vicarious
>5. other shit.

Thats the order there.

You are a Scottish Tool. Have you even listened to the album?

BSUfanatic
05-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Apologies, just read your other post.

Koan
05-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Albums, for me, work as a whole. I can't pick which one is the worst. You might say, what song you would be least likely to listen to on it's own. But that is pretty much defined by the flow of the album. Rosetta Stoned on it's own wouldn't work, but in the context of the album it's great.

And this song ROCKS.

myky
05-20-2006, 09:45 AM
I found that when i first got hold of the album i listened to vicarious the least, as id already horrendously overplayed it before the album was out. But now after I have listened through the album so many times I have gone back to vicarious and realised its actually fantastic. originally I didnt like the 'kick in' riff because it felt like a rehash of schism. but after i have had more time to digest it... love it

Matt8
05-20-2006, 11:41 AM
I found that when i first got hold of the album i listened to vicarious the least, as id already horrendously overplayed it before the album was out. But now after I have listened through the album so many times I have gone back to vicarious and realised its actually fantastic. originally I didnt like the 'kick in' riff because it felt like a rehash of schism. but after i have had more time to digest it... love it

pretty much my experience exactly. i had the same experience with schism. overplayed it but now i listen to it constantly once again.

Isac Khrondor
05-20-2006, 01:27 PM
It's a good song, but the lyrics are crap, the song sound like leftovers from Lateralus, and it just doesn't flow at all with the rest of the album.

Aggroculture
05-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Jambi>The Pot

Luosdasa
05-20-2006, 03:52 PM
pfff, vicarious aint the worst, i rekon its one of maynards best performances. and danny's

Worst song is R.S. ... rat shit

blackandwhite
05-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Are you kidding me, RS is one of the most puzzling and satisfying songs.

Luosdasa
05-20-2006, 04:07 PM
no im not kidding you, it bores me shitless. Drags out way to long. I mean, as a filler or whateva itd be alright. But as it is, i tune out part way through everytime.

myky
05-20-2006, 06:55 PM
I was like that at first, i barely ever listened to Rosetta Stoned, but now its by far my favourite, just took me ages to get into the lyrics and vocals. This conversation i feel has swayed into the wrong topic

Luosdasa
05-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Hmmm. perhaps R.S. will grow on me unsuspectedly, tool songs have a habit of doing that. But i find it unlikely, and still say its worse than Vicarious, hebce Vicarious is not the worst song on the album, well at least imo. (see, now we're back on topic :P)