PDA

View Full Version : The Final GONG At The End.....

scar
05-05-2006, 09:45 AM
i listened to these songs at least a few dozen times before i got this idea. at the beginning of "wings," there are eleven "gong" sounds, or at least what seem to be representations of clock bells. there are eleven of them before the music kicks in, the next one being at the end of the song. i believe the song (wings for marie) is told in the time of her "eleventh hour." a euphemism for the final moments before death. he obviously talks of her, or to her, more in the present tense in part 1. then after the 12th "gong" at the end of "wings," she is now gone and the story in part 2 is told from what seems to be a eulogistic, or mournful point of view.
i believe that this "gong" represents her death.
did all of that make sense? if not, can someone that does understand what i'm trying to say, please explain it correctly?

chrysanthemum81
05-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Sounds like a pretty good interpretation.

davelisowski
05-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Sounds like a pretty good interpretation.

Agreed.

I'll have to give this a listen again to let you know what I think/hear, but what you've said works.

WitlessLiar
05-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Yeah the intro to 10,000 days is kind of agressive (especially compared to WfM).

Really great find man.

Alex in Chains
05-05-2006, 08:56 PM
I was trying to decide if that was the gong at the end or not. Can anyone verify this? But I like your theory. To me, that final gong is the casket closing. The first part is the funeral, and the second part is (mostly) her journey to the gates.

Paradigm619
05-05-2006, 10:15 PM
That's the weirdest sounding gong I've ever heard, but whatever instrument it is.... you most definitely have a very solid argument. I always kind of saw that last hit as Judth's death, but never realized the whole connection to the beginning. Nice work.

Wonko The Sane
05-05-2006, 10:34 PM
SCAR - Sharp, i like it.

Nicolai
05-06-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm not completely sure but the intro gong sounds like a thai gong from a roland handsonic (patch A44 I believe).
If you turn up the volume you can also hear a strange scraping sound going from left to right in background during the gong intro, the count is 10 with the gong being sounded on 1.
The dramatic gong that ends part 1 sounds so familiar but I can't tell from where, it has something to do with the resonating sounds.

davelisowski
05-07-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm not completely sure but the intro gong sounds like a thai gong from a roland handsonic (patch A44 I believe).
If you turn up the volume you can also hear a strange scraping sound going from left to right in background during the gong intro, the count is 10 with the gong being sounded on 1.
The dramatic gong that ends part 1 sounds so familiar but I can't tell from where, it has something to do with the resonating sounds.

Yes, the scraping sound is there. I like it now that you pointed it out. It's mechanic and machine-like... sorry to be repetetive.

Good find. I wonder what it means (if it means anything)....

xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 12:44 AM
I haven't heard the scraping sound...however...

Typically when a gong is played, the percussionist will take the mallet and sort of rub it in circular motion around the gong to kind of warm the gong up a little. I believe that this is to reduce the crashing sound and make a very nice resonance (so it doesn't just sound like a huge ass cymbal).

That said, that MIGHT be what the scraping sound is...but I haven't heard the sound...so if it sounds like REALLY REALLY scrapey...that's probably not it.

fugitive538
05-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Very nice find, congratulations! I think it is more than possible.

EDIT: i counted them, maybe im wrong, but there are only 9 gongs before the music starts, or if we count those that are whilst the guitars are playing, but before the vocals come in, then it is more than 11, its 13 or so.
It still might be the ticking of a clock, i like the idea of the timeline symbolism, but than the 12th gong theory is wrong...

Or an other idea: maybe 12 gongs represent the life of a human, but her life cannot be finished until Maynard makes peace with his memory. So the clock keeps ticking.
And when Maynard reaches the conclusion, that now it is time for him to let her go, then can the final gong be heard. No matter it has passed twelve now.
What about this?

Matt8
05-07-2006, 08:30 AM
sounds good to me.

scar
05-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Very nice find, congratulations! I think it is more than possible.

EDIT: i counted them, maybe im wrong, but there are only 9 gongs before the music starts, or if we count those that are whilst the guitars are playing, but before the vocals come in, then it is more than 11, its 13 or so.
It still might be the ticking of a clock, i like the idea of the timeline symbolism, but than the 12th gong theory is wrong...

Or an other idea: maybe 12 gongs represent the life of a human, but her life cannot be finished until Maynard makes peace with his memory. So the clock keeps ticking.
And when Maynard reaches the conclusion, that now it is time for him to let her go, then can the final gong be heard. No matter it has passed twelve now.
What about this?

I absolutely see what you are saying. i'm almost leaning toward you now instead of myself. however, my count now has it at ten "gongs" before the guitar really comes into rhythm, and one softer, fading "gong" by itself, until THAT sound becomes part of the music. i was definitely wrong about the eleven "gongs" before the music. i guess it's more like, eleven until it becomes PART of the music.

anyway, the other "theory" i have is that perhaps the final "gong" at the end is the eleventh and the next "gong" is thirty-six seconds into 10,000 Days. so maybe the time 11:36 has something to do with JMK's passing. dunno

i still think the euphamistic "11th Hour" is here somewhere.

lessthanmurf
05-07-2006, 03:15 PM
i agree with the gong at the end being her death. i posted about that here;

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=45488

deerollman
05-07-2006, 04:18 PM
i studied southeast asian music in my most recent semester of college. indonesia in particular relies very heavily on the gong. there is an entire genre called gong orchestra. the large gong, called the gongageng, is revered and considered to be the heart of the orchestra. it is almost a rule that at the end of any given piece of music the gongageng will be struck last, as happens in the song. and yes it is a gong in the song- most gongs dont sound like those seen on TV, which sound like crash cymbals. danny obviously has been studying south asia music for some years now- perhAPS HE IS EXPANDING IN TO southeast asian. makes sense to me. and maybe it does signal marie's death- i dont speculate on such things as im more likely to be wrong than right. i choose to analyze (sp?) the emotions that the music conjures, erather than assign a specific meaning to any one sound. but thats just me. what i want to know is, who the hell is marie? was she 28 at death, or did she suffer for 28 yearas prior to it? hmm...

scar
05-07-2006, 04:53 PM
i studied southeast asian music in my most recent semester of college. indonesia in particular relies very heavily on the gong. there is an entire genre called gong orchestra. the large gong, called the gongageng, is revered and considered to be the heart of the orchestra. it is almost a rule that at the end of any given piece of music the gongageng will be struck last, as happens in the song. and yes it is a gong in the song- most gongs dont sound like those seen on TV, which sound like crash cymbals. danny obviously has been studying south asia music for some years now- perhAPS HE IS EXPANDING IN TO southeast asian. makes sense to me. and maybe it does signal marie's death- i dont speculate on such things as im more likely to be wrong than right. i choose to analyze (sp?) the emotions that the music conjures, erather than assign a specific meaning to any one sound. but thats just me. what i want to know is, who the hell is marie? was she 28 at death, or did she suffer for 28 yearas prior to it? hmm...

please listen to the song again and again and again, and read some posts on here about Judith Marie Keenan.

earational
05-07-2006, 04:54 PM

it is very very similar to the end of Merkaba from salival.

deviever
05-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Very cool.

Here are some numbers that might be correlations between the gong numbers and the album artwork :

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=46109&page=3#86

devi-

panocha21
05-08-2006, 10:01 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I counted 10,000 gongs in this song.

Muladhara
05-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Am I just going mad or something? The gong sounds at the beginning sound nothing like the very last sound on the end of the song, the sound at the end sounds like a bass guitar being hit and bass drum, this sound then continues throughout 10,000 Days, like the gong did at the beginning of Wings for Marie.

scar
05-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Am I just going mad or something? The gong sounds at the beginning sound nothing like the very last sound on the end of the song, the sound at the end sounds like a bass guitar being hit and bass drum, this sound then continues throughout 10,000 Days, like the gong did at the beginning of Wings for Marie.

i agree. the last sound (which you described perfectly) is completely different from the first eleven sounds (which end up blending into the music.)

i believe that this difference marks the significance of the symbolism for death, as opposed to the eleven that signify the moments leading to the passing.

EDIT: by the way, it's "their album" (possesive) not "there album"
"taken for granted" not "taken for granite"
"realize" not "realise"
"peace of mind" not "piece of mind"

IjustthoughtMuladharawouldlikethat

third_eye77
05-09-2006, 09:22 AM
To me, the final "gong" sounds more like a door shutting. Like a metaphor for leaving or going from one room (this life) to another room (the after life). I never tied in the intro gongs, but that was my interpretation of the final "gong" sound as it seemed to tie the 2 songs together better. I like Alex In Chains idea also of the casket closing.

DON IOTAE
05-09-2006, 09:24 AM
i listened to these songs at least a few dozen times before i got this idea. at the beginning of "wings," there are eleven "gong" sounds, or at least what seem to be representations of clock bells. there are eleven of them before the music kicks in, the next one being at the end of the song. i believe the song (wings for marie) is told in the time of her "eleventh hour." a euphemism for the final moments before death. he obviously talks of her, or to her, more in the present tense in part 1. then after the 12th "gong" at the end of "wings," she is now gone and the story in part 2 is told from what seems to be a eulogistic, or mournful point of view.
did all of that make sense? if not, can someone that does understand what i'm trying to say, please explain it correctly?
Makes perfect sense. I don't think anyone can explain that better.

AE=Alt146

lessthanmurf
05-10-2006, 03:58 PM
"realize" not "realise"

IjustthoughtMuladharawouldlikethat

where i'm from it is 'realise'.

not everyone is from the US.

scar
05-10-2006, 07:05 PM
where i'm from it is 'realise'.

not everyone is from the US.

point taken.

calumny
05-10-2006, 11:39 PM
to me, the final hit before tenthousanddays starts, sounds like a bass guitar, recorded without it's signal, but instead with a mic recording the sound of the string rumbling. then of course, the delay carries the part over until the basses signal returns, and commences part ii.

third_eye77
05-11-2006, 06:07 AM
I didn't even think the intro gongs really sound like a gong...but Tool is pretty good at manipulating sounds.

Muladhara
05-11-2006, 06:30 AM
I didn't even think the intro gongs really sound like a gong...but Tool is pretty good at manipulating sounds.

Yeah, they kinda sound like a glass bowl with water in being hit softly.

Maybe that's the sound Danny's new gong makes though when hit gently.

Psychedelic
05-11-2006, 06:48 AM
My thoughts exactly...

I was trying to decide if that was the gong at the end or not. Can anyone verify this? But I like your theory. To me, that final gong is the casket closing. The first part is the funeral, and the second part is (mostly) her journey to the gates.

scar
05-11-2006, 06:58 AM
oh, when i first posted this, i definitely didn't think it is an actual gong that makes that "gong" sound. the word "gong" was the closest description i could give. like "chiming in." a real chime does not have to be used, i was just using it to describe a sound.

i guess i should have originally posted, "there are eleven "bong" sounds." nobody would think i meant that they used an actual bong. although, more people on this site probably relate better to that description. i'm just trying to convey the type of sound, not the actual instrument being used.

bradpeterson
05-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Yes, the scraping sound is there. I like it now that you pointed it out. It's mechanic and machine-like... sorry to be repetetive.

Good find. I wonder what it means (if it means anything)....

Sounds like one of those binaural beat generators that I have on my computer (a "swwwsh" sound alternating from right ear to left ear).

Some people have experimented with putting these in songs, as they are known to effect your mood (and etc).

This is what I thought it was when I first noticed the noise.

Convoy_X
05-12-2006, 11:23 AM
My Supernatural being it’s packed with luminary…

phishman1
05-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Yes, that is exactly what is sounds like. That last sound (I refuse to call it a 'gong', as it is clearly not a gong) definitely sounds like they recorded Justing slamming a note out on the bass guitar, as you can hear the strings rattle. It sounds like they just recorded it, amplified the hell out of it, EQ'd it, and then added a bunch of other effects. If you listen closely, you'll notice that the string rattle is repeated 4 or 5 times (delay), them fades out. I agree with the others that it's supposed to represent the closing of a coffin or a door.

....and, of course, I could be completely wrong. Who knows. Whatever it is, it's cool.

to me, the final hit before tenthousanddays starts, sounds like a bass guitar, recorded without it's signal, but instead with a mic recording the sound of the string rumbling. then of course, the delay carries the part over until the basses signal returns, and commences part ii.

PriceisRight
05-15-2006, 04:13 PM

the number 11 is found throughout the entire album!

I think this whole album is in someway linked to his moms death.

yendor
05-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Very well said; great post scar.

wags
05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
That sound immediately following the gong at the end, the 'scratchy' sound, to me sounds like the brushes that jazz drummers use. Danny ever been seen using one?

ALIvingGrudge
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
i think the last gong is the noise in the old toolband.com intro. You know when you would put the mouse pointer on toolband to go into the official site? That doesn't make sense but oh well

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
05-16-2006, 06:16 PM
It makes complete sense.

It sounds exactly like the "motor" sound that was on the intro.

smeefsmeef
05-21-2006, 07:00 PM
There are eleven of those sweeping "wing" sounds between each "gong" sound at the beginning of the song...

bluegreenjackiechan
10-11-2006, 02:45 AM
Good hustle kid
I noticed it, granted it took alot of wattage to hear all 11 but its there

Chronicle0
10-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Actually if it is 11 gong sounds, i just think that's just a reminder of Maynard's age when his mother was diagnosed.

duncang
10-11-2006, 09:46 AM
You stole my idea.

Nah, s'all good, so long as its out there.

ahuimanu
10-30-2006, 02:32 AM

It's a bass drum hit (compressed and effected) with vibrating bass strings...

I really like it.