PDA

View Full Version : E-bow on this track

Huff
05-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty sure Adam is using an E-bow here (almost certain)....but I had to say how wicked the part at 1:29 is!! Holy crap!!!! And I absolutely love how it flows lyrically and musically right into Rosetta...........wow.......

StereoScopicLenses
05-05-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm pretty sure Adam is using an E-bow here (almost certain).....

Sorry Huff, but Adam would be pissed if people thought he was using an E-bow. Make sure you read the 'Guitar World' interview in the 275th issue. With Adam on the cover.

Huff
05-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Sorry Huff, but Adam would be pissed if people thought he was using an E-bow. Make sure you read the 'Guitar World' interview in the 275th issue. With Adam on the cover.

Really?? Is that seriously all manual feedback?? If it is it's some serious sustain....impressive

jsn
05-05-2006, 01:17 PM
yeah there's a thread around here somewhere that he says, "don't say i'm using an e-bow", or something like that.

StereoScopicLenses
05-05-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't think its sustain that last that long. If you listen close you can here the range go up and down on the effect. Ever see one of those green delay foot pedals at guitar center that are like $230. That's it. Plus Adam knows how to work his guitar without being too technical.

deaf
05-05-2006, 04:40 PM
adam uses epilady

epinephrine_redux
05-06-2006, 01:53 PM
It's a bass. It's Justin.

FastRedPonyCar
05-06-2006, 02:07 PM
A good amp (Like his Deizel) and a decent guitar and a player who knows how to use his equipment can easily control the feedback this way. At first I thought it was an ebow and him using a tremolo pedal for that wavy effect. That's what I'd do to reproduce this because at the volume needed to generate feedback like that, the cops would be beating down my door.

Also, isn't an Epilady something chicks use on their leg hair and pubes?

dice5199
05-06-2006, 09:51 PM
The opening sound to this song sounds similar to the opening sound to "Synchronicity 2" by The Police.

Agenda
05-06-2006, 10:28 PM
It's a mini moog. His wife got it for him for christmas.

eonblue462
05-07-2006, 11:05 AM
It's just Guitar, Wah, and Volume!!! that simple

Amethyst Believer
05-07-2006, 11:08 AM
That's weird. My CD player is set to display time remaining on the track. Just as I read the first post I looked round and there was exactly 1.29 left to go.

I just looked again after typing that and it was 0.29.

I'll shut up now.

Huff
05-08-2006, 10:14 AM
The opening sound to this song sounds similar to the opening sound to "Synchronicity 2" by The Police.

Great call.........but I still think there's something going one more than sustain.....however someone mentioned the "green expensive pedals". That's called a Line 6....and they're really awesome...but as far as I know they're just a sampler. They have 4 or 5 sample chambers but I don't think they would change your sustain. Maybe just a sustain pedal or like someone said a synth....

tyroneslothrop
05-08-2006, 10:26 AM
It sounds like there is an effect on it but it is definitely Justin on bass... I saw him doing it last week at the Berkeley show. As fastponyredcar said above, if you've got a good enough rig that kind of feedback is not that hard to get.

StereoScopicLenses
05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Great call....however someone mentioned the "green expensive pedals". That's called a Line 6....and they're really awesome.....

THanks for comment. I couldn't remember the brand of pedal I was talking about. The Line 6 "green" Delay pedal. Too bad its not so dam expensive they are really cool. AND YES I think Adam does use a Moog pedal.. Also badass and expensive. WAIT. knowing Justin it probably is him doing that sound.

Huff
05-08-2006, 11:00 AM
It sounds like there is an effect on it but it is definitely Justin on bass... I saw him doing it last week at the Berkeley show. As fastponyredcar said above, if you've got a good enough rig that kind of feedback is not that hard to get.

Really??!?! Wow that's interesting. (I feel bad for not believing whoever said it before:):):):)

kevbo82
05-12-2006, 04:56 AM
you can get that much feedback easily. i dont really know if he's using something to manipulate the guitar, it's harder to change notes like he does later in the song. The start of it just sounds like he's bending the string. My mesa and SG at a small gig level in a studio, i sustained for close to two mins on a note. i was amazed by it, and it's mostly that guitar, but it's doable. Adam uses alot of flange and delay too, which delay will help that "sustain" and i use a japanese made boss BF-2 flanger, which for whatever reason seems to boost gain just a touch? my amp dirty, with that flanger and a delay, and sometimes just a bit in front of the amp thanks for a fulldrive2, it seems like the guitar will just hold a note forever. A bit of that swirl that some spoke of on the track, i think is some flanger. does sound like a trem/pan later in the song as well though. It's way too clean a sound for adams epilady trick though.

crack
05-12-2006, 12:00 PM
as far as the Guitar World article goes...he says he def doesnt use an e-bow and enver did, contrary to what the e-bow ads may say. He says everything pretty much comes from his hands....I got ther impression that he used nothing more than a guitar and amp for the sustain, owing the sound merely to his style of playing, and not any other kind of pedal

epidermalfuture
05-12-2006, 04:35 PM
it's all manual, performed with his own fingers, he blends in a bit of delay and tremolo with it...it's very easy to achieve this effect actually...depending on where you place your fingers will create a diferent harmonic...just vibrate your finger hard to mantain the sound...i vote for pure skill...

Bassmingo
05-12-2006, 05:39 PM
It's a bass. It's Justin.

just quoting this again....HELLO? ITS JUSTIN, NOT ADAM

ID-entity
05-13-2006, 10:40 AM
just quoting this again....HELLO? ITS JUSTIN, NOT ADAM

True. My best friend saw the show in Dallas and Lost Keys was the first song they played. He said the feedback is Justin playing fairly high on the neck of his bass and then Adam comes in with the slow guitar riff.

pdictter
05-13-2006, 11:12 AM
damn justin and his silly feedback

but as for adam... maybe he is using a fernandes sustainer? kinda like the one fripp has, but if he is using none of these stuff, then its madness how he gets the sustain. :-)

#Notion
05-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Seeing them in dallas made me realize just how much more than 1/4th justin contributes to tool

epinephrine_redux
05-13-2006, 05:07 PM
at certain volume levels and amp proximities, feedback can be sustained for an infinate time (or as long as you can hold your finger on the fret). I've gone 10 minutes on bass before. All it is is a little distortion and delay.

Dr. Jake Destructo
05-14-2006, 06:50 PM
That tone is so totally lacking bass, but if you guys have seen it, then I'll believe it. Amazing feedback control nonetheless.

ID-entity
05-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Seeing them in dallas made me realize just how much more than 1/4th justin contributes to tool

Yeah. My friend said Justin really stands out live. Doesnt suprise me since Tool is a very rhythmicly based band and that Justin is one of the best out there. Im pretty bummed I couldnt get tickets...well I guess I could, I just cant swing 500 bucks for one on ebay. Oh well, theyll be back this fall for a proper arena tour.

jrizzle
05-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Saw it live, it is Justin with an A note (his rack tuner says so)

will see you auntie
05-17-2006, 01:40 PM
as far as the Guitar World article goes...he says he def doesnt use an e-bow and enver did, contrary to what the e-bow ads may say. He says everything pretty much comes from his hands....I got ther impression that he used nothing more than a guitar and amp for the sustain, owing the sound merely to his style of playing, and not any other kind of pedal

he says in the guitar world interview, that sustain is obtained thru "attitude". he got this advice from robert fripp, i think.

will see you auntie
05-17-2006, 01:43 PM
A good amp (Like his Deizel) and a decent guitar and a player who knows how to use his equipment can easily control the feedback this way. At first I thought it was an ebow and him using a tremolo pedal for that wavy effect. That's what I'd do to reproduce this because at the volume needed to generate feedback like that, the cops would be beating down my door.

Also, isn't an Epilady something chicks use on their leg hair and pubes?

yeah, he uses the epilady electric shaver. he said in an interview a while back that he got the idea from watching dave navarro in concert using a dildo-vibrator. he said he thought it was a great idea, and since he doesnt have any vibrators lying around, he used his wifes epilady.

DeadheadChemistry
05-17-2006, 02:09 PM
It's definently Justin, I was as surprised as everyone else when I saw him play it live. He starts off by just walking over to his mesa boogie and moves his bass around for the feedback, and then he plays a couple octaves up for the part you guys were talking about. I read somewhere about how he does that for a lot of songs, playing an octave or two up and people confusing his part with adam's. I was front frow, right in front of Justin for the KC show so it's him, no joke... could see his whole board and watched him as he hit the octave pedal.

philipg
09-01-2006, 07:05 PM
the high feedback ish part is a bass, i believe it has an octave effect on it
adam has also stated in interviews that he doesnt use an ebow at all
he usually gets his feedback from his wah pedal and things like that.

plexus
09-06-2006, 01:29 AM
yeah, its justin, i was at that dallas show too, and he definatly opened the show up with that feedback. i thought it was going to go on forever. literally!

EulogyCallinMe
09-06-2006, 07:32 AM
That tone is so totally lacking bass, but if you guys have seen it, then I'll believe it. Amazing feedback control nonetheless.

thats exactly why i didnt think it was adam but ill see for myself on thursday...and friday weeeee!!!
if it is justin then wtf? stupid bastard and his octave thingy making it hard to discern guitar from bass. but how does he do it then if its him? if it was adam i was goig to suggest perhaps a condenser pedal and delay... but if its not then i have no clue.

CaseLogic
09-13-2006, 07:56 AM
simple check for the future in case you're not sure if it's bass or guitar playing:

is the guitar ALREADY PLAYING? then its justin =P

I'd be surprised if Adam could pull off the feedback/siren effect along with the main melody at the same time ;)

mon-go-lloyd
09-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Saw it live, it is Justin with an A note (his rack tuner says so)

No, it's F Sharp...then following the chord-changes C , C Flat then landing on A and repeats this. Later back to F Sharp.

CaseLogic
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM
I assumed he was doing the sustained part with a harmonic and playing the rest very softly on the other strings. (Don't ask me how I thought he got the waver, I didn't know.)

It's okay, Justin has amazed many people this album...

1) Vicarious Solo
2) The Pot Solo
3) Lost Keys
4) Harmonics/Whammy effect in Right in Two

He's da man =)

parables in the world
09-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Its funny that hardly anyone knew it was justin. Like CaseLogic said if adam is playing then its justin. If it was guitar then they'd have some guitar tracks and adam don't do stuff that he can't do live, it would be pointless.

philipg
09-19-2006, 10:34 AM
adam doesnt use an ebow
besides the high part in lost keys is the bass, you can hear the multiple octaves in it from his whammy pedal... watch it live too.
i think justin also uses a tremolo effect for the 3 note riff thing he starts doing after a while to give it the bloop bloop sound ( yes i know i capture the noise perfectly).