PDA

View Full Version : wings (pt. 1) really part 2

milair47
05-05-2006, 08:38 AM
I know that this thought isn't very Tool like, but perhaps is wings (pt. 1) supposed to come after 10,000 days? in pt. 1 towards the end he says: What am I to say to all these ghouls tonight. and its been said that he called the other members of his mother's church ghouls. is this him asking himself what he has to say at the funeral?

the titles seem to say the same as well. 10,000 days, the approximate number days she was paralyzed until her death. then wings for marie, is this her ascending into heaven and getting her angel wings?

feedback would be greatly appreciated

implandnoises
05-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Well, it might sound OK, I dunno, but I think you are missing the point of reflective song writing. Sure he talks about the funeral in part one and then goes on to talk about her going to heaven in part two, but there isn't necessarily a straight timeline. Some things are present tense, some are past, some events follow on from the last and others don't. However, I think the biggest clue which shows that they are in the correct order is the final lyrics in part one: "it's time for us to let you go". Then in 10,000 days she is released from all her remaining worldly ties and takes her final journey home.

Hindu
05-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, it might sound OK, I dunno, but I think you are missing the point of reflective song writing. Sure he talks about the funeral in part one and then goes on to talk about her going to heaven in part two, but there isn't necessarily a straight timeline. Some things are present tense, some are past, some events follow on from the last and others don't. However, I think the biggest clue which shows that they are in the correct order is the final lyrics in part one: "it's time for us to let you go". Then in 10,000 days she is released from all her remaining worldly ties and takes her final journey home.

well fucking said.

plexus
05-05-2006, 09:31 AM
it definatly is in hte right order.

in part 1, he ends with "its time for us to let you go"
10,000 days is him letting go.

milair47
05-05-2006, 10:47 AM
thanks guys...just wondering, thanks for the insite

wags
05-08-2006, 09:06 PM
well put. i especially like the percussion right at the end of part 1, indicating either his decision to finally come to grips with his mother's beliefs, his ability to finally let her go, and/or her actual death.

toolloot
05-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Only Tool fans would think 2 comes before 1.

SomethingSpecial
05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
thanks guys...just wondering, thanks for the insite
Is that how you spell insight?

beligerentfokker
05-09-2006, 12:24 AM
I saw it a little differently, or maybe the same but in a different context. the line in both songs that goes "difficult to see you in this light" seems to refer to 2 separate instances, one either in a hospital bed or on a morgue slab.. not so much difficult to see, but hard to look at. the other being possibly an open casket viewing, which fits better in wings, for the loud drum at the end is like the slamming down of the casket lid/morgue door.

erazorhead
05-10-2006, 04:34 AM

bwahahaha, your avatar annihilates

Rosette feasted
05-10-2006, 04:39 AM
goddamn it wouldn't be called 'part1' if it is 'part2'

happydipshit
05-23-2006, 01:11 PM

indeed.

Homerr Simpson
05-25-2006, 12:11 AM
yes, whoever thinks that TOOL is tryingt to be a clear as possible, with no responsibility on the listener, has hit the mark, 100%, let us never forget that the media is the answer to all of our answres and that all independent thought is strictly not part of the nomal way of life as we know it........

toocooltool
05-25-2006, 12:39 AM
Interesting theory.. but no.

allusion7.0
05-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Is that how you spell insight?
that's how he spells insiiite.

anfisechka
05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I haven't listened to them in reverse order, but I've always felt that Wings should come after. 10,000 days seems to focus to much on other people, the funeral etc., whereas Wings is much more intimate (quiet even), and seems to end on a note of personal isolation. After a funeral, you're left with yourself and your OWN ability to cope..

anfisechka
05-26-2006, 01:45 PM

also, lol

Bubba_Phat
05-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Usually, "part 1" comes before "part 2" because 1 is the number before 2 in the Arabic numeral system. We generallly follow the order of the Arabic numeral system.

TheHolyGift
05-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Usually, "part 1" comes before "part 2" because 1 is the number before 2 in the Arabic numeral system. We generallly follow the order of the Arabic numeral system.

Thanks, I just spit my drink all over the screen, and perhaps pissed myself.

Lysanderdarkstar
06-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks, I just spit my drink all over the screen, and perhaps pissed myself.
your spit and possible piss made me spit and possibly piss... no... no piss... but i mave have shit my bed :S