PDA

View Full Version : Adam and Eve

xineax
05-05-2006, 07:22 AM
I think this song is about 'The Fall of Man" but with a Gnostic view. When the pieces come together, when Adam eats the fruit of the Tree (through the influence of Eve) he becomes enlightened--a peer of the Demiurge (the imposter God) and that is why he was made to suffer originally. Original Sin--or sex, Union--in the Orthodox Bible was viewed as the reason man was fallen. The same reason applies in Gnosticism, but the sexual energy is used to find that there is a God higher than the petty fool ruling the Garden of Eden--so sex is seen as basically good in Gnosticism.

So this is talking about the Union between Adam and Eve--or more appropriately the disUnion between them by not possessing the knowledge that the Tree brings.

This fits quite well with the video. You see the Tree of Knowledge inside the Garden of Eden, which actually looks like a very unenlightened mausoleum. Eve, the one who possesses the knowledge (due to the Serpent or CADUCEUS) that they are greater than the Demiurge, is alive and is trying to make Adam alive as well.

Finally, as the song ends, they join in Union (putting the pieces back together) and the fire (which definitely symbolizes awakening or knowledge of an unpetty, impersonal, transcendental God) appears. This video leads right into Parabol\a. First we see a magickal ceremony where one in the group cuts an Apple (From the Tree of Knowledge) and then they perform a banishing ritual. We see our friend playing around the Tree of Knowledge--eventually becoming awakened by the same fire that unites Adam and Eve in Schism.

innerspacegirl
05-12-2006, 11:08 PM
We see our friend playing around the Tree of Knowledge--eventually becoming awakened by the same fire that unites Adam and Eve in Schism.

i didn't really get it before i read that, you totally put the pieces together!

Doubt
06-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Gnostism. Yuck. Sorry, just really not an appealing or believable belief system. Do Tool in any way associate themselves with Gnostism? (Honest question)

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
06-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I think this song is about 'The Fall of Man" but with a Gnostic view. When the pieces come together, when Adam eats the fruit of the Tree (through the influence of Eve) he becomes enlightened--a peer of the Demiurge (the imposter God) and that is why he was made to suffer originally. Original Sin--or sex, Union--in the Orthodox Bible was viewed as the reason man was fallen. The same reason applies in Gnosticism, but the sexual energy is used to find that there is a God higher than the petty fool ruling the Garden of Eden--so sex is seen as basically good in Gnosticism.

So this is talking about the Union between Adam and Eve--or more appropriately the disUnion between them by not possessing the knowledge that the Tree brings.

This fits quite well with the video. You see the Tree of Knowledge inside the Garden of Eden, which actually looks like a very unenlightened mausoleum. Eve, the one who possesses the knowledge (due to the Serpent or CADUCEUS) that they are greater than the Demiurge, is alive and is trying to make Adam alive as well.

Finally, as the song ends, they join in Union (putting the pieces back together) and the fire (which definitely symbolizes awakening or knowledge of an unpetty, impersonal, transcendental God) appears. This video leads right into Parabol\a. First we see a magickal ceremony where one in the group cuts an Apple (From the Tree of Knowledge) and then they perform a banishing ritual. We see our friend playing around the Tree of Knowledge--eventually becoming awakened by the same fire that unites Adam and Eve in Schism.

The Tree of life would make more sense in the parabola video,not the tree of knowledge.

negative_creep
07-02-2006, 06:55 PM

this song is definately about a failed relationship (i know the pieces fit cuz i watched them fall away) and maybe his attempt to bring the pieces back together (i've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing, doomed to crumble enless we grow and strengthen our communication)

paraflux
07-05-2006, 12:14 PM
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=1835

TWENTY-THREE
07-06-2006, 08:47 PM
This is still going on?
Maynard himself said it was about the separation of the christian church into the catholic and protestant churches.

Theheroeshavedied
07-08-2006, 07:05 AM
hail to all great ones!

no doubt, as many have figured out by now, Lateralus is the album which deals the most with transcendental issues and sacred realities, and gracefully expresses and concretizes transcendent, perfect and infinite concepts throughout words and musical color, conceivable and embraceable to what lies in physically limited human beings; thus proving to be tool's masterpiece. for indeed, this album encaptivates the essence of art: expressing and concretizing into material, physical creations the pure and uncontaminated feelings, which are examples of perfection, that our soul, or human nature perceives throughout what our limited attributes( intellect or craft) learn. So, our mind and body become a medium to outpour what lies in our soul, and make it visible to others, with the purpose of penetrating other bodies and touching other souls. This concept has lead ancient philosophers to think of religion as a form of expression or art, since it materializes in words, stories or parables the transcendent, sacred, perfect concepts, which man can only embrace if they touch man's soul. with this, religion becomes the medium, the instrument or Tool with which the realities our body or mind cannot conceive are lead to the soul, disguised as emotions. it is at this point relevant to remember that mind and soul ( or what the ancients used to call Anima) are very distinct concepts, and characterize the platonic dualism between the physical properties and the essence of things: our mind is a physical, limited tool, our soul is our perfect nature. In expressing ourselves, as we should do in every action, and every moment of our existence, we should not use our physical attributes yet our spiritual nature, otherwise risk going through schizophrenia, or personality disorders. ( that's why "over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind, withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind)
with these rather long and complicated specifications and premises, i will illustrate and fill in my fellow human brothers with a chapter of transcendent messages, and finally here comes what relates to this masterpiece 4 people chose to call Schism. reference to the video might help!
Every man must know, that every religion man has interpreted, communicates exactly the same messages; the only reason their cult or story varies is because the humans that have interpreted the sacred and perfect realities with their limited and bound minds were different people with different cultural backgrounds, with different abilities. They would conceive something so eternally great their minds could not take it, thus they would not understand it, but they conceived it, embraced it, took it, and thought of a way to interpret it through their physical senses in order to spread it to their kin. But deep down, the truth\s the religions state are THE SAME!
due to this factor, I will take in consideration the easiest to quote: christianism. the book of Christian communication, the bible, starts with the genesis quoting: God created Man; he created him male and female.
in ancient Sanskrit man is said-'sh' ( meaning the convex) and woman is said -'shsh' ( meaning the concave). physically analyzing these two shapes or pieces of the puzzle demonstrates that they fit in one another, though they differ in basic shape (FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERING): the convexity enters perfectly in the concavity, and with this entrance the puzzle is completed and one! The whole puzzle is Man. Thus male and female are man, are humanity. (I KNOW THE PIECES FIT) Together they are one flesh, one nature, one reality. Each one of the two pieces, sh and shsh, alone without the other, is incomplete, they are missing their complement. ( MILDEWED AND SMOLDERING) Only when they are one will the two pieces feel as one ( or be in sympathy), they will be communicating to each other’s souls ( who is in love will easily understand).(TO BRING THE PIECES BACK TOGETHER REDISCOVER COMMUNICATION) As the Christians say: may man not divide what god has united!!! There is some truth in this, as humanity is the hierogamy ( or sacred matrimony) of brotherly souls, placing them in Harmony. As said above, the concretization, or materialization of this sacred reality is found in the conception of sexuality.( THE LIGHT THAT FEULED OUR FIRE) Does this not remind you of the sexual act? The convex that fills the concavity as a physical show of spiritual love? Thus this harmony produces one perfect complete piece from the union of the two pieces. Infact, the purpose of sexuality is to concur to unity, , so that the two pieces are bound, joined, conjugated, unison and not fractioned, separated or split, as in a schism. (PURE INTENTION JUXTAPOSED WILL SET TWO LOVER’S SOULS IN MOTION)But it is not for us to forget that the purpose of sexuality is first to produce spiritual unity, then to produce the result of physical unity, visible in procreation and breeding. (THE POETRY THAT COMES FROM THE SQUARING OFF BETWEEN) The beauty of life may only come as a result of the unity of the two separate diverse forms, both spiritual and physical, (FINDING BEAUTY IN THE DISSONANCE) otherwise drift in the degeneration of the rape, discussed in stinkfist. Schism, actually portrays the devastating consequences of the distortion and degeneration of the purpose of sensuality, from pathway for spiritual unity, to instrument for physical pleasure (THE LIGHT THAT FUELED OUR FIRE THEN HAS BURNED A HOLE BETWEEN US) thus emptying the act of it’s entire meaning or purpose and withering it to a banal shag, ripping the pieces away and destroying the sympathy between the lover souls(CRIPPLING OUR COMMUNICATION)!!!!! It is to kill life, not to procreate it, depriving it of it’s spiritual reason of being.( WATCH THE TEMPLE TOPPLE OVER) Without spiritual unity as an exhortation, sexuality will eventually fade away and leave you in silence.( COLD SILENCE HAS A TENDENCY TO ATROPHY ANY SENSE OF COMPASSION BETWEEN SUPPOSED LOVERS) It finishes with a wonderful message: follow the progression: cripple the communication, rediscover the communication, strengthen the communication!!!!

Well, my brothers, first of all, please excuse me for the inhuman length of my post, I am aware I let myself go, but if I were to condense this message in fewer words or with lesser explanations, I may have run the risk of not being clear in my exposition and not getting the message through, leaving philosophy free to misinterpretation. On the bright side I hope this clears the essence of such a masterpiece. And, what do you know? I’m actually doing theology applied to music! But did I not specify in the very beginning that this post was for great ones?
Thank you all for your time and attention! PAX

negative_creep
07-09-2006, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=Theheroeshavedied]hail to all great ones!

no doubt, as many have figured out by now, Lateralus is the album which deals the most with transcendental issues and sacred realities, and gracefully expresses and concretizes transcendent, perfect and infinite concepts throughout words and musical color, conceivable and embraceable to what lies in physically limited human beings; thus proving to be tool's masterpiece. for indeed, this album encaptivates the essence of art: expressing and concretizing into material, physical creations the pure and uncontaminated feelings, which are examples of perfection, that our soul, or human nature perceives throughout what our limited attributes( intellect or craft) learn. So, our mind and body become a medium to outpour what lies in our soul, and make it visible to others, with the purpose of penetrating other bodies and touching other souls. This concept has lead ancient philosophers to think of religion as a form of expression or art, since it materializes in words, stories or parables the transcendent, sacred, perfect concepts, which man can only embrace if they touch man's soul. with this, religion becomes the medium, the instrument or Tool with which the realities our body or mind cannot conceive are lead to the soul, disguised as emotions. it is at this point relevant to remember that mind and soul ( or what the ancients used to call Anima) are very distinct concepts, and characterize the platonic dualism between the physical properties and the essence of things: our mind is a physical, limited tool, our soul is our perfect nature. In expressing ourselves, as we should do in every action, and every moment of our existence, we should not use our physical attributes yet our spiritual nature, otherwise risk going through schizophrenia, or personality disorders. ( that's why "over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind, withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind)
with these rather long and complicated specifications and premises, i will illustrate and fill in my fellow human brothers with a chapter of transcendent messages, and finally here comes what relates to this masterpiece 4 people chose to call Schism. reference to the video might help!
Every man must know, that every religion man has interpreted, communicates exactly the same messages; the only reason their cult or story varies is because the humans that have interpreted the sacred and perfect realities with their limited and bound minds were different people with different cultural backgrounds, with different abilities. They would conceive something so eternally great their minds could not take it, thus they would not understand it, but they conceived it, embraced it, took it, and thought of a way to interpret it through their physical senses in order to spread it to their kin. But deep down, the truth\s the religions state are THE SAME!
due to this factor, I will take in consideration the easiest to quote: christianism. the book of Christian communication, the bible, starts with the genesis quoting: God created Man; he created him male and female.
in ancient Sanskrit man is said-'sh' ( meaning the convex) and woman is said -'shsh' ( meaning the concave). physically analyzing these two shapes or pieces of the puzzle demonstrates that they fit in one another, though they differ in basic shape (FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERING): the convexity enters perfectly in the concavity, and with this entrance the puzzle is completed and one! The whole puzzle is Man. Thus male and female are man, are humanity. (I KNOW THE PIECES FIT) Together they are one flesh, one nature, one reality. Each one of the two pieces, sh and shsh, alone without the other, is incomplete, they are missing their complement. ( MILDEWED AND SMOLDERING) Only when they are one will the two pieces feel as one ( or be in sympathy), they will be communicating to each other’s souls ( who is in love will easily understand).(TO BRING THE PIECES BACK TOGETHER REDISCOVER COMMUNICATION) As the Christians say: may man not divide what god has united!!! There is some truth in this, as humanity is the hierogamy ( or sacred matrimony) of brotherly souls, placing them in Harmony. As said above, the concretization, or materialization of this sacred reality is found in the conception of sexuality.( THE LIGHT THAT FEULED OUR FIRE) Does this not remind you of the sexual act? The convex that fills the concavity as a physical show of spiritual love? Thus this harmony produces one perfect complete piece from the union of the two pieces. Infact, the purpose of sexuality is to concur to unity, , so that the two pieces are bound, joined, conjugated, unison and not fractioned, separated or split, as in a schism. (PURE INTENTION JUXTAPOSED WILL SET TWO LOVER’S SOULS IN MOTION)But it is not for us to forget that the purpose of sexuality is first to produce spiritual unity, then to produce the result of physical unity, visible in procreation and breeding. (THE POETRY THAT COMES FROM THE SQUARING OFF BETWEEN) The beauty of life may only come as a result of the unity of the two separate diverse forms, both spiritual and physical, (FINDING BEAUTY IN THE DISSONANCE) otherwise drift in the degeneration of the rape, discussed in stinkfist. Schism, actually portrays the devastating consequences of the distortion and degeneration of the purpose of sensuality, from pathway for spiritual unity, to instrument for physical pleasure (THE LIGHT THAT FUELED OUR FIRE THEN HAS BURNED A HOLE BETWEEN US) thus emptying the act of it’s entire meaning or purpose and withering it to a banal shag, ripping the pieces away and destroying the sympathy between the lover souls(CRIPPLING OUR COMMUNICATION)!!!!! It is to kill life, not to procreate it, depriving it of it’s spiritual reason of being.( WATCH THE TEMPLE TOPPLE OVER) Without spiritual unity as an exhortation, sexuality will eventually fade away and leave you in silence.( COLD SILENCE HAS A TENDENCY TO ATROPHY ANY SENSE OF COMPASSION BETWEEN SUPPOSED LOVERS) It finishes with a wonderful message: follow the progression: cripple the communication, rediscover the communication, strengthen the communication!!!!

Well, my brothers, first of all, please excuse me for the inhuman length of my post, I am aware I let myself go, but if I were to condense this message in fewer words or with lesser explanations, I may have run the risk of not being clear in my exposition and not getting the message through, leaving philosophy free to misinterpretation. On the bright side I hope this clears the essence of such a masterpiece. And, what do you know? I’m actually doing theology applied to music! But did I not specify in the very beginning that this post was for great ones?
Thank you all for your time and attention! PAX[/QU

i did not read all of your thoughts because all you did was just ramble on about stupid shit. i do not believe this song has anything to do about the different kinds of churches. even though i don't go to church, i do believe in god. the tattoo on my back will tell you that.

Theheroeshavedied
07-09-2006, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=Theheroeshavedied]hail to all great ones!

Thank you all for your time and attention! PAX[/QU

i did not read all of your thoughts because all you did was just ramble on about stupid shit. i do not believe this song has anything to do about the different kinds of churches. even though i don't go to church, i do believe in god. the tattoo on my back will tell you that.

hey, no problem buddy, but if you'd have actually read what words say with your third eye, you would discover i said nothing about the schism of the churches.... i'm sorry that i have transmitted only shit to you, but i did not mean to ramble out anything at all, what i have said, i have said with heart! to that i hold. but a little good criticism does any human reality good! thanks for caring enough to answer, and i hope you open your eyes!
all the best, theheroeshavedied