PDA

View Full Version : a great big FUCK YOU

mad017
05-05-2006, 05:53 AM
i hope this has not been posted...

i was listening to this the other day while scanning these forums...

and i saw a number of poeple calling maynard a hypocrite for writing the masterpiece that is wings1/2. because of the whole anti-religion aspect explored in opiate, Aenima and of course judith. but i think a man can grow as a person in a small amount of time, i know in about ten months a grew as a person, on a different level but... and it is clear to see that the death of a family member has affected the 'nard as well. my point... i think maynard knew he was going to cop it for writing a song clearly referencing god and heaven... so in turn, following wings1/2 is the pot... a stab at poeple who accuse others of being a hypocrite "but who are they to wave the finger"..... let me know what you think...

davelisowski
05-05-2006, 06:22 AM

and i saw a number of poeple calling maynard a hypocrite for writing the masterpiece that is wings1/2. because of the whole anti-religion aspect explored in opiate, Aenima and of course judith. but i think a man can grow as a person in a small amount of time, i know in about ten months a grew as a person, on a different level but... and it is clear to see that the death of a family member has affected the 'nard as well. my point... i think maynard knew he was going to cop it for writing a song clearly referencing god and heaven... so in turn, following wings1/2 is the pot... a stab at poeple who accuse others of being a hypocrite "but who are they to wave the finger"..... let me know what you think...

Just because he sang about god and heaven doesn't mean he agrees with it or that it invalidates what he has said before about such things. I don't want to get too far off topic since this is about "The Pot" and not "Wings," but he clearly sings about those things because his mother believed in them (the "pillar of faith").

It is an interesting interpretation to say that the opening lyrics refer to anyone who was taken aback by Maynard's religious remarks in the previous songs. But what significance (other than the first line) do the rest of the lyrics have to this theory? It could be about people calling Maynard a hypocrite, but not refering to his religious remarks.

"Now
[you weep in / you're weeping] shades of chosen indigo
Got lemon juice up in your eye
When you pissed all over my black kettle
You must have been high!"

This might be the only "religious" reference in the whole song. "You pissed all over my black kettle" could refer to someone decimating occult or "witchcraft" views.

I'm struggling to reach anymore connections, but maybe you can.

gerbil
05-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Just because he sang about god and heaven doesn't mean he agrees with it or that it invalidates what he has said before about such things. I don't want to get too far off topic since this is about "The Pot" and not "Wings," but he clearly sings about those things because his mother believed in them (the "pillar of faith").

It is an interesting interpretation to say that the opening lyrics refer to anyone who was taken aback by Maynard's religious remarks in the previous songs. But what significance (other than the first line) do the rest of the lyrics have to this theory? It could be about people calling Maynard a hypocrite, but not refering to his religious remarks.

"Now
[you weep in / you're weeping] shades of chosen indigo
Got lemon juice up in your eye
When you pissed all over my black kettle
You must have been high!"

This might be the only "religious" reference in the whole song. "You pissed all over my black kettle" could refer to someone decimating occult or "witchcraft" views.

I'm struggling to reach anymore connections, but maybe you can.

I think it's far more likely that The Pot refers to Maynard, himself.

EDIT: But not in connection with Wings for Marie.

mad017
05-05-2006, 02:55 PM
well thanks guys i sort of see where you're coming from... it was just a quick thought

win
05-05-2006, 05:36 PM

As intersting as an interpretation that is, I, respectfully disagree. The references to God heaven and angels in this album are probably no more numerous than in any of the other albums. More importantly is their context. Each forun (not saying they are automaticly agree, but after a good amount of debate you kinda narrow it down) on each song has pretty much concluded that it is not his becoming religious nor is it even an acceptance of religion as a whole. It is rather (this is specific to wings) an acceptance of his mother's religiosity after her being tested 10,000 days in paralysis. He basicly says 'I can't say you didn't follow your heart after being so tested' and he almost hopes it is true for her. but he has kept his convictions about the masses in the 'congregation.' With that said there is 1) no reason for him to preemted hypocracy accusations and 2) I think that (although I am not feeling as certain about this as I do wings pt.1 and 2) Pot is about the current administration (see other threads for this). Granted, arguements (if thats what we can call them) often do extend from one song to another. However I don't think that is the case this time.

Psilo
05-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Hah, I love how some people think just because those songs were released that now Maynard believes in a traditional single Deity.

UtUmNo1
05-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Tom Araya is catholic.

Sanzen
05-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Tom Araya is catholic.

I always thought this was funny. 'Cause you know ;

" I KEEP THE BIBLE IN A POOL OF BLOOD SO THAT NONE OF IT'S LIES WILL AFFECT MEEEEEEEE, YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! "

- New Faith, Slayer