PDA

View Full Version : Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes, Dim my eyes

Pages : [1] 2

A Tad Bit Catatonic
05-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Have we reached a consensus on this yet? I believe, (after listening to the song, approaching 500 times) that it is "Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes, Dim my eyes" said in subsequent order. This makes good lyrical sense, plus I can hear his emphasis on the "ssssss" after eyes, therefore (for me at least), putting to rest any idea that it is JAMBIE. Anyway, wanted to throw this out there since Kabir said after seeing it live it gave more credence to the Jambie theory, which lyrically seems pretty stupid to me. There is a "Jam" in there, but not in that context I believe. Have at it...

Crowl
05-05-2006, 10:25 AM
its definately Jambi eyes....at least a couple of the tiems its said.....seemed really clear live as well.....i think kabir mentioned something about this, and i cant help but agree Jambi eyes......makes sense if you've seen the genie in peewee

autumnleigh
05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=44204

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=44240&page=5

_sularetal01
05-07-2006, 07:36 PM
yeah i agree, it sounds like jambi eyes..jambi pronounced jam-bye

zavlin
05-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Have we reached a consensus on this yet? I believe, (after listening to the song, approaching 500 times) that it is "Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes, Dim my eyes" said in subsequent order. This makes good lyrical sense, plus I can hear his emphasis on the "ssssss" after eyes, therefore (for me at least), putting to rest any idea that it is JAMBIE. Anyway, wanted to throw this out there since Kabir said after seeing it live it gave more credence to the Jambie theory, which lyrically seems pretty stupid to me. There is a "Jam" in there, but not in that context I believe. Have at it...
Hmmm, iv always thought it was dim my eyes. But now that you mention it, i always based that on the fact that i clearly hear him say dim the third time...will have to listen again to the first 2 times....

holotrope
05-08-2006, 05:45 AM
I'm growing partial to this idea that he's saying different things each time, mainly because there are lots of people that are certain it's one of them (I've always thought it was "Dim my eyes"), but there's no consensus yet... you might be on to something here...

Xariable
05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I think its "Damn my eyes" 3x
What would this mean: Jambi eyes if they should comprimise?
Not much.
Damn my eyes if they should. . .

Shomino
05-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm hearing "damn my eyes" x3...

This site says "dim my eyes" tho...

http://www.metrolyrics.com/lyrics/2147430436/Tool/Jambi

Muladhara
05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
When the lyrics are released and it's "Damn my eyes, damn my eyes, dim my eyes." can I come back here and laugh heartily?

The third one could be 'Damn my eyes' too, but I'll eat my hat* if it's Jambi eyes.

*Don't own a hat.

imatoolhed
05-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't know ... and i like that.

Call scooby and the gang.

rogerdoger
05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
I think the idea of Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes/jambi eyes, dim my eyes is spot on. I hadn't thought of him saying three different things...but I think that's right. Whatever the middle one is, it deffinatly starts with a J.

opiated
05-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I sware it sounds like "Damn my eyes" three times total.

I'm going to listen to again for the 90,000th time for this purpose specifically and see...

Muladhara
05-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Woo "JAMMY EYES" for the win!

Hahahah.

?Cogito Ergo Sum?
05-09-2006, 03:42 AM
After several listening sessions, with friends, it was a consensus that it was dim my eyes, dim my eyes, dim my eyes.

anfisechka
05-09-2006, 07:45 AM
My vote: damn my eyes / jambi eyes / ?

will see you auntie
05-09-2006, 08:04 AM
i'm pretty sure mjk is saying "dammit you guys", or maybe "slimey flies", but then after i listened for the 69th time, i thought he said "camel toes"

will see you auntie
05-09-2006, 08:07 AM
seriously though, i think he says damn my eyes the first and third time, and the second one i think sounds like it begins with a 'j', so i think the 2nd one is "jambi"....so i think it goes, "damn my eyes, jambi, damn my eyes."

A-Bomb
05-09-2006, 08:37 AM
It's damn my eyes, dammit. An ode to the late, great Johnny Cash.

?Cogito Ergo Sum?
05-09-2006, 12:45 PM
After another handful of headphones, alone listening sessions, I freely admit to being wrong. I do now believe it is Damn my eyes, at least the last two times. Thanks.

Loz_Leigh
05-10-2006, 03:42 AM
"damn my eyes if they shhould compramise
a fulcrum
what you need if i leave
then i might has well be gone..."

Ant
05-10-2006, 04:02 AM
Can anyone enlighten me here; what's the meaning of 'jambi' anyway?

bitter_enigma
05-10-2006, 04:30 AM
I reckon it goes "Damn my eyes!" for the first time, then "Dim my eyes" for the last two.

Where are people getting 'Jam-bi' from? Clearly not a 'J' sound to me.

evil agent
05-10-2006, 07:38 AM
I still think Jambi Eyes is RIDICULOUS. If it's correct, its the worst Tool line ever.

Dim/Damn is sooo much better.

And for the guy who says it has to be Jambi Eyes because of Pee Wee's Playhouse... Jambi on that show was pronounced JOMBEE. Doesn't sound the same at all.

black_rose
05-10-2006, 07:39 AM

I think its damn my eyes then jam my eyes too but it is hard to tell, i mentioned it before but it got laughed at haha

APOCALYPSEENSABAHNUR
05-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Whenever (and that's a BIG whenever) I listen to this song, I like to sing along (God help me I don't know why) and whenever it gets the "Jambi/Jam my eyes" part, I start pretending to poke myself in the eyes. Its fun. You should try it. I think that was the purpose of this song: humor.

If I'm out in public, like sitting in my car in a parking lot or something, i'll start doing it and people will give me the WEIRDEST looks!

It's like-"what the fuck's the matter with them?".........You know?

EctomMimedBison
05-10-2006, 08:30 AM
The live version from Coachella seems (to me at least) much clearer, he´s saying "damn my eyes".

freezachic
05-10-2006, 08:32 AM
The live version from Coachella seems (to me at least) much clearer, he´s saying "damn my eyes".

I was about to post the same thing. I heard a live version and it's definitely "damn my eyes".

SunBurN
05-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Ok, I'm going to put this to rest right now. I'm listeng to a perfect recording from the Seattle Concert from just last week and it's fricken clear he says "DIM My eyes" x3. There is no question. No Jambi eyes, and no Damn eyes.. I can clearly hear DIM.

xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm glad everyone who is listening to these live recordings are so sure that they're willing to upload the recording and give us all a link.

For christ's sake. This is the Internet...not the back of some 3rd period English class. If the recording is SOOOOO clear, upload the fucker and let us hear/confirm.

SunBurN
05-10-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm glad everyone who is listening to these live recordings are so sure that they're willing to upload the recording and give us all a link.

For christ's sake. This is the Internet...not the back of some 3rd period English class. If the recording is SOOOOO clear, upload the fucker and let us hear/confirm.

Check PM..you'll be blown away by this live!

#Notion
05-10-2006, 03:58 PM
DAMN MY EYES...

DAMN MY EYES...

say it with me...

DAMN MY EYES...

IF you think it is anything else then kick yourself in the face for not being OGT enough to know how maynard sings when yelling.

say it again..

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

you all fail the entry test to verbal communication

K In Yo Mouf
05-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Dim My Eyez?

ktrip
05-10-2006, 04:53 PM
can anyone pm me link to live? or at least, tell me where i can find a vast library of toolmania? or just resurrect the toolhub?

cheers

s62
05-10-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm hearing
Damn my eyes
Jam my eyes (jambi eyes?)
Dim my eyes

EctomMimedBison
05-11-2006, 04:54 AM
It might be Dim instead of Damn, all I know is it's a "D", not a "J".

Ashes42
05-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Live playing of the song never meaned a thing, Maynard doesn't give a shit about sticking to his own lyrics.

To get Jambi eyes from damn my eyes is easy
D a mn M y E y e s
J a m B y e E y e s

That being said, the middle line may be Jambi eyes, the other two are definitly not if you listen hard the second line starts with alot more of a J sound then the other two. I think its either damn my eyes x3(more likly) or damn my eyes and jambi eyes.

SunBurN
05-11-2006, 06:41 AM
DAMN MY EYES...

DAMN MY EYES...

say it with me...

DAMN MY EYES...

IF you think it is anything else then kick yourself in the face for not being OGT enough to know how maynard sings when yelling.

say it again..

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

I think it's you who fails the entry test...

Look, I've listened to the album version and now two different live versions (Seattle show and Texas Show) it's soo clear he's singing dim. There is no DA sound at all..so wake up and smell what you've been shoveling...it's not Damn...it's Dim.

So, you say it with me, and maynard...It's DIM my eyes, Dim my eyes, DIM my eyes if they should compromise....

Besides, damn my eyes makes little sense.. So let's see, you'd what? Damn your eyes to hell? What about the rest of you? Your eyes are what allow you to see, if you dim them, you slightly alter that ability so you don't have to see something quite as clearly. That makes a hell of lot more sense to me.

And for the last time, there is also no Ja sound. Stop trying to make the connection between the title and the song. We have no idea why nard named this song Jambi.

NextChapter
05-11-2006, 07:23 AM
i dont know, jambi eyes sounds really weird to me, i mean try saying it. . .JAMBYE (as you have seemed to agree it is pronounced) it feels weird just saying it. I really do think it is damn my eyes, it makes sense in the song and sounds good with it, i dont think ihe changes the word throughout it either it just sounds like damn my eyes all the way through

SunBurN
05-11-2006, 08:01 AM
i dont know, jambi eyes sounds really weird to me, i mean try saying it. . .JAMBYE (as you have seemed to agree it is pronounced) it feels weird just saying it. I really do think it is damn my eyes, it makes sense in the song and sounds good with it, i dont think ihe changes the word throughout it either it just sounds like damn my eyes all the way through

Please explain to me (literally) how damn my eyes makes any sense?? Dim my eyes does because it makes your vision less clear...but damn my eyes...that just doesn't make any sense.

transcend187
05-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Its like "curse". Ya know how Threepio says "Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!" Well, Maynard is like an ultra-cool C-3PO, and he's replacing "Curse" with "Damn", and "body" with "eyes." It works.

Rosette feasted
05-11-2006, 08:12 AM
It's
'Jummy eyes'

SunBurN
05-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I think it comes down to people hear what they want to hear and in the process try and justify it by trying to make a connection to the title of the song or by insisting that DAMN my eyes is what it says because it sounds better to them. Let alone the fact that if you really listen and tune out the music with a good EQ, the "DA" sound or a "JA" sound is simply non existent.

If I could hear either of those sounds in any of the three different recordings (album version, Seattle show and Texas show) that I've heard of Jambi, then I would have my doubts and I'd be more open to the other guesses everyone has. But, as I've listened to the different versions over and over, I hear distinctly the "DI" sound.

So no matter what I say, there is no way to know for sure until Tool posts the lyrics for the songs at www.toolband.com so it really doesn't matter what anyone says here because no one here can say with certainty what the hell nard is actually saying.

s62
05-11-2006, 11:07 AM
I take my back earlier comment... I think it is
Dim my eyes x3
He just has a bit of an inflection on it the first time, so it sounds a bit like "damn"...

enigma00
05-11-2006, 11:47 AM
The second one DEFINATELY starts with a "j", you can clearly hear it. And I can clearly hear a "b", as well...and I can hear an "s" at the end.

But I can't tell if the other two are "dim my eyes" or "damn my eyes".

So it's either:

Damn my eyes
Jambi eyes
Damn my eyes...

or

Dim my eyes
Jambi eyes
Dim my eyes...

I lean towards the first.

WitlessLiar
05-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I hear Dim my eyes, Jambi eyes.

Dim my eyes makes sense if you believe the Fluxerpretation. However I believe that "If I thought I'd lose you just one day" refers to the speaker's state of mind (his ignorance, being secure, and not believing in something that would change his whole life), so he wants to dim his eyes if the life-changing thing were to occur so that he wouldn't have to see it.

?Cogito Ergo Sum?
05-11-2006, 11:53 AM
After yet another listening session with 10K days, with headphones, it has to be Dim my eyes everytime. "Dim my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum" He seems to want to close or hide is eyes if he compromises his precarious situation.
Has to be, "dim my eyes, dim my eyes, dim my eyes."

evil agent
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
MAYNARD, ARE YOU OUT THERE?!?!?

If so, you NEED to clear this one up.

Staticfactory
05-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Besides, damn my eyes makes little sense.. So let's see, you'd what? Damn your eyes to hell? What about the rest of you? Your eyes are what allow you to see, if you dim them, you slightly alter that ability so you don't have to see something quite as clearly. That makes a hell of lot more sense to me.

Ask your parents. "Damn my eyes/Damn your eyes" is a very common phrase. "Dim my eyes" would make no sense, considering your eyes are not a source of light... unless your name is "Bright Eyes."

enigma00
05-11-2006, 02:28 PM
After yet another listening session with 10K days, with headphones, it has to be Dim my eyes everytime. "Dim my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum" He seems to want to close or hide is eyes if he compromises his precarious situation.
Has to be, "dim my eyes, dim my eyes, dim my eyes."

Nope; the second time HAS to be "Jambi eyes" You can clearly hear the J at the beginning, the b in the middle and the s at the end.

SunBurN
05-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Ask your parents. "Damn my eyes/Damn your eyes" is a very common phrase. "Dim my eyes" would make no sense, considering your eyes are not a source of light... unless your name is "Bright Eyes."

I didn't say anything about eyes being a source of light, I said dimming your eyes makes things less clear. And honestly I've never heard the phrase "damn my eyes", I think you're just making that up!

CaseLogic
05-11-2006, 02:37 PM
I didn't say anything about eyes being a source of light, I said dimming your eyes makes things less clear. And honestly I've never heard the phrase "damn my eyes", I think you're just making that up!

I had never heard of the phrase "shit the bed" until recently - just because I had never heard of it doesn't mean other people in the world weren't using it.

CaseLogic
05-11-2006, 02:40 PM
And whether or not it's "Dim" or "Damn" (I hear damn, and to me damn makes more sense), I clearly hear a 'j' sound in the second... the second one has got to be Jambi Eyes or something similar.

Damn/Dim my eyes,
Jambi eyes,
Damn/Dim my eyes if they...

Schaller
05-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Maynard probably will vary it anyway.

And I hear the same 3 lines as the thread starter.

Damn, Jam, Dim

SunBurN
05-11-2006, 03:31 PM
I had never heard of the phrase "shit the bed" until recently - just because I had never heard of it doesn't mean other people in the world weren't using it.

Alright dude, whatever..but I still contest that there is no "DA" sound or "JA" sound. Dim is heard so clearly on three different recordings of Jambi as I've stated earlier, but hey, I guess it doesn't really matter and I'm done arguing about it.

Nous
05-11-2006, 06:15 PM
it's fuckin DAMN, i never thought otherwise for a second

CaseLogic
05-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Alright dude, whatever..but I still contest that there is no "DA" sound or "JA" sound. Dim is heard so clearly on three different recordings of Jambi as I've stated earlier, but hey, I guess it doesn't really matter and I'm done arguing about it.

I can understand that for the first and third, but the second clearly starts wtih a "ja" sound... just clear your mind and listen to it. It's not the same D sound as the other two.

Muladhara
05-12-2006, 12:49 AM
I can understand that for the first and third, but the second clearly starts wtih a "ja" sound... just clear your mind and listen to it. It's not the same D sound as the other two.

For fuck's sake.

If the song wasn't called Jambi you would not say "It's Jambi eyes!".

Explain to the class please exactly what 'Jambi eyes' means.

Show me where previously, Tool have just made up words IN THE LYRICS, not in the titles.

The only way "Jambi eyes" would make sense to the world at large is if it means "Eyes that see only Jambi" or "Eyes that were changed forever by Jambi".

Now considering that, how does that line make sense with the lines exactly before and after it which you concede are either "dim my eyes" or "damn my eyes".

"Kill me if these eyes that were changed forever by Jambi should compromise what I have with Jambi."

Because if Jambi is the subject of the song, whom he would give everything up for then that line makes NO FUCKING SENSE!

SunBurN
05-12-2006, 06:50 AM

I'm not entirely sure "shit the bed" is a phrase. I think it could be meant literally. Is there some interview or something that I missed that nard says "shit the bed" was being used as a phrase or metaphor for something else? I've never honestly heard that phrase being used like "oops..I fucked up again" or whatever. I'd like to get a reading from maynard on that one.

And again, let me say this one more time and I'll try and leave this subject alone after this, we have no idea why nard named this song Jambi, but there is no connection in the song that's readily apparent such as Jambi eyes..It's just ridiculous and I agree with the previous posting, it just makes no sense other than to really reach, to make some kind of connection with the title of the song! And maybe those of you that think they hear a "ja" sound are "hearing" that so that maybe the song and title can make more sense to you and you can justify the odd name.

So let go of the whole "ja" sound because it simply isn't there. Stick with either Dim or Damn...but the "da" sound just doesn't ...sigh..I'm promised I wouldn't go there again so ...

scar
05-12-2006, 07:17 AM
seriously, and this is the last post I make on this subject as well, but seriously, on the album he says, "JAMBI........eyes or ized." for real, the sound IS there. friends and family of mine have heard it without reading any lyrics thread. it's there.

not to directly contradict myself, but i was at the Kansas Fuckin' City show last night and i had a perfect profile view of maynard with the lit screen behind him, and i saw him say "Damn" "Damn" and clearly "Dim" on the third. also, he said the word "fulcrum" and trailed that right into "want and need divide me then i might as well be gone.."

Maynard also said different word in other parts. parts that i am 100% sure on from other albums, but were different last night. anyway, the "J" sound is there.....on the cd.

SunBurN
05-12-2006, 08:03 AM
My god this is just going to go back and forth, back and forth until TooL publishes the lyrics on their site. We'll find out then.

Gregead
05-12-2006, 09:01 AM
To me it really sounds like he says "Damn my eyes" then "Jam-bye". Hard to tell though

enigma00
05-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Nope; the second time HAS to be "Jambi eyes" You can clearly hear the J at the beginning, the b in the middle and the s at the end.

I'll say it again - you can clearly hear him say Jambi the second time. It's unmistakable.

CaseLogic
05-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I have no idea if he is saying Jambi the second time or not. However, I *will* say that there is a distinctive 'j' sound at the beginning of the word. Here's an exercise for you. Listen to that part of the song, and expect a "j" sound in front of each of the 3 instances. The first one, you can clearly tell it's not a j, but in the second one, it's there. I agree that no one knows wtf a Jambi Eye is, but since when was Maynard not allowed to use poetic license and make up anything he wants? It can be an allusion or metaphor that we haven't figured out yet.

Oh, and it was even more clearly a "J" at the Dallas show.

As for "shit the bed" - I didn't think it was a phrase, then I looked it up on urban dictionary... if urban dictionary says it's true, then it's gotta be! =P (it's the second definition).

SunBurN
05-12-2006, 02:12 PM
As for "shit the bed" - I didn't think it was a phrase, then I looked it up on urban dictionary... if urban dictionary says it's true, then it's gotta be! =P (it's the second definition).

Well I don't agree with you on the "ja" sound, but I've resigned myself to waiting for the lyrics to be posted on Tool's site so I'm not going to argue with you about it.

I did look up "shit the bed" in an urban dictionary and to my disbelief, it really is a term or phrase and its meaning is basically to fuck something up.

I guess I "shit the bed" on that one! ;)

paraology
05-12-2006, 11:34 PM
I thought Maynard personally sent the lyrics himself to Kabir and toolshed. Is the man himself gonna shed some light on this?

Koan
05-13-2006, 08:01 AM
I can't say I am completely sure...but most of the times I hear 'dim'...although what you expect to hear can really alter what you hear. I sometimes hear 'jambi' too. All are beautiful. I don't mind not being sure.

evil agent
05-13-2006, 08:23 AM
For the 10000th time, it IS NOT JAMBI EYES! It makes so much more sense to be Dim/Damn, and that's what it sounds like to me as well.

If you hear JAM, its because Maynard's pronunciation of the letter D. This isn't the first word he's sung where his D sounds like a J or a DS or something. Its just his funky voice and funky pronunciation. You can hear this all over Vicarious too.

The first time he says "cause I need to watch things die", and "while the whole world dies" almost sounds like it. So please, stop saying JAMBI EYES, the stupidest line I've ever heard.

TurdEye13
05-13-2006, 08:32 AM
I think its "Dim my eyes" becuase a don't really hear an "a" sound in there. He says it a few times and maybe I thought he just left it out the way he was singing.

CaseLogic
05-13-2006, 12:34 PM
For the 10000th time, it IS NOT JAMBI EYES! It makes so much more sense to be Dim/Damn, and that's what it sounds like to me as well.

If you hear JAM, its because Maynard's pronunciation of the letter D. This isn't the first word he's sung where his D sounds like a J or a DS or something. Its just his funky voice and funky pronunciation. You can hear this all over Vicarious too.

The first time he says "cause I need to watch things die", and "while the whole world dies" almost sounds like it. So please, stop saying JAMBI EYES, the stupidest line I've ever heard.

I agreed with you until I heard the song live. The second line is clearly different, whether it's Jambi or another 'juh' sounding word.

Oh, and YOU'RE the stupidest line I've ever heard. What now?

rustandwine
05-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Dim my eyes seems to make the most sense, given the light imagery: "shine on" and so forth.

#Notion
05-13-2006, 02:52 PM
I cannot believe people man.... this is like making yourself thinkyou hear the word satan in stairway to heaven backwards.

It's damn my eyes... it isnt even logical to be anything else... but logic isnt a factor here

evil agent
05-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Oh, and YOU'RE the stupidest line I've ever heard. What now?What now? We duel, sir.

gorillamania
05-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Something entirely different to consider...

"Tear my eyes", As in make you cry.

It both sounds like it, and makes sense contextually.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-14-2006, 12:38 PM
DAMN MY EYES...

DAMN MY EYES...

say it with me...

DAMN MY EYES...

say it again..

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

there was a line in a song about being OGT wasnt there? haha

there is a "j" sound on the second, but its almost definatly damn my eyes as MJK clearly pronounces an "s" at the end.

*discalimer*
the views in this post are merely the opinion of edwards James Keenan (real name) and should not be taken to heart

I Chas I
05-14-2006, 04:18 PM
There is no way it's Jambi/Jam my eyes. He does not make the J sound AT ALL. I don't know where you guys are getting this from, but its wrong.

Although Dim makes a lot more sense, i can't tell what he says for the first two, but the third is defenetly DIM. It's probably DIM all three times.

PriceisRight
05-14-2006, 05:10 PM
maybe if we can find out what jambi means then we can put this to rest.

oh...and it really sounds like damn my eyes.

Keep_Going_11:11
05-14-2006, 07:22 PM
im sorry the lyrics are damn my eye's seeing as Jambi eyes has no meaning wat so ever

TheBigTool
05-14-2006, 08:26 PM
On the album I thought the 2nd one sounded a lot like Jambi eyes but now having heard a live recording it seems pretty clear he isn't saying Jambi eyes. After multiple listens it sounds to me like damn, damn, then dim.

dissonance19
05-14-2006, 08:41 PM
MAYNARD, ARE YOU OUT THERE?!?!?

If so, you NEED to clear this one up.

LOL

But yeah, I hear different things each time so I have no idea.

SunBurN
05-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Ok, this whole dim/damn/jambi thing is bugging me so I've been working on it...

In trying to figure it out, I've now listened to 4 different live versions plus the album version of Jambi and I've done it using music morpher, adaucity, soundforge and using eq's from various programs to slow down the song, filter out the music, and everything else I could think of to try and hear exactly what he's saying, and the result is, he's saying Dim my eyes.

There was one occasion on the Texas show that after the first Dim my eyes, his voice made a "j" sound for a second then it was clearly the "im" sound like he says "J..dim my eyes..." but that's it. After listening to all of these different versions, there is no "da" sound at all so just give up on that idea and I 100% will be proven correct on this when he finally releases the lyrics. I think there is a sliver of a chance there might be "j" sound, in the second part but, it could be just the way he slurred his voice/breathy sound before saying Dim so I'm not 100% sure on that.

So I know that again, no matter what I say, those of you that are trying to make a connection and make sense out of the title of the song are still going to insist that it's Jambi eyes or whatever and those of you that think that "damn" sounds cooler or whatever are still going to hear "Damn" and there is nothing I can do about that.

As for other parts of this song in question, I'm still working on those.

*edit*

and just so everyone knows, and I make this clear now, this is just my opinion after spending a lot of time and using various methods to try and figure this out and satisfy my own curiosity. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is mine and you can take it for what you will.

swampyfool
05-17-2006, 09:39 AM

Huh. I just thought about this one. I don't necessarily believe that the "Ess" sound on the end of this lyric rules out "Jambi" or "Jambie" (phoenetically). The history of the Indonesian province of Jambi shows us that during the initial phases of Dutch colonization, the province was divided between the Dutch invaders and the indigenous people along a river. In effect, Jambi was divided into two Jambi's. Since Maynard is referencing division as a central theme in this song, maybe he is saying "Jambies." I'm not convinced about this, in fact I don't really believe that it is true. I just love the fact that this band is so cerebral and clever that lyrical interpretation can be either a history lesson about a corner of the world of which I've never heard . . . or a walk down memory lane with Paul Reubens.
Fuckin' Kick Ass.

swampyfool
05-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Ok, this whole dim/damn/jambi thing is bugging me so I've been working on it...

In trying to figure it out, I've now listened to 4 different live versions plus the album version of Jambi and I've done it using music morpher, adaucity, soundforge and using eq's from various programs to slow down the song, filter out the music, and everything else I could think of to try and hear exactly what he's saying, and the result is, he's saying Dim my eyes.

There was one occasion on the Texas show that after the first Dim my eyes, his voice made a "j" sound for a second then it was clearly the "im" sound like he says "J..dim my eyes..." but that's it. After listening to all of these different versions, there is no "da" sound at all so just give up on that idea and I 100% will be proven correct on this when he finally releases the lyrics. There is a sliver of a chance there might be "j" sound, in the second part but, it could be just the way he slurred his voice/breathy sound before saying Dim so I'm not 100% sure on that.

So I know that again, no matter what I say, those of you that are trying to make a connection and make sense out of the title of the song are still going to insist that it's Jambi eyes or whatever and those of you that are hard headed, think that "damn" sounds cooler or whatever and/or need to clean the wax out of their ears are still going to hear "Damn" and there is nothing I can do about that.

As for other parts of this song in question, I'm still working on those.

Oh, thank you, oh omnipotent one, for taking the time to descend from heaven to deliver unto us- the infidels unworthy of your attentions, let alone your explanations- the gospel of MJK!

Fuck sake, dude, I almost don't want the benefit of your vocal analysis programs if I have to sit through another condescendingly arrogant diatribe telling us how great you are and how insufferable we all are.

SunBurN
05-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Oh, thank you, oh omnipotent one, for taking the time to descend from heaven to deliver unto us- the infidels unworthy of your attentions, let alone your explanations- the gospel of MJK!

Fuck sake, dude, I almost don't want the benefit of your vocal analysis programs if I have to sit through another condescendingly arrogant diatribe telling us how great you are and how insufferable we all are.

Wow, you're quite well spoken aren't you? Kudos..

Well I don't think of myself as omnipotent nor did I descend from anywhere and I don't think of anyone anywhere as infidels. But you know what, I went to all of the trouble of trying to figure it out for my own personal satisfaction and curiosity because part of the whole experience to me of a new Tool album is trying to decipher the lyrics and by having 5 different versions of Jambi to listen to, it became quite clear to me that there is a singular sound that he's singing and it's the "im" sound.

I just thought I'd share that with everyone but in no way did I mean to be condescending nor do I look down on anyone here although the way I worded some of it may have sounded that way and in an effort not to offend anyone here, I'll edit my post to remove those disparaging comments.

So, to end this as nicely as possibe although I'm a little taken aback by your whole response, so in the immortal words of Bill Cosby, have a coke and a smile and STFU! :)

swampyfool
05-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey, SunBurN. I was overemphasising my case in order to make a point. I don't think your an ass, thanks for sharing, just tone down the rhetoric a bit and we're chill. Really, thanks for sharing your thoughts after your in-depth analysis and giving dorks like me something to read and think about for awhile.

SunBurN
05-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey, SunBurN. I was overemphasising my case in order to make a point. I don't think your an ass, thanks for sharing, just tone down the rhetoric a bit and we're chill. Really, thanks for sharing your thoughts after your in-depth analysis and giving dorks like me something to read and think about for awhile.

That's cool, you actually made me rethink about how the way I worded things was offensive to the people who feel strongly about what they think nard is signing, and the message his lyrics in the context of the song are conveying to them. So thanks for calling me on that because honestly, upon going back to reread what I wrote, I needed it. No hard feelings. :)

jackobeast
05-17-2006, 02:07 PM
For what it is worth, I will second the notion that "damn my eyes" is an expression. I have heard it many times and even form other people. It is an archaic term.

Basically, the effect of "damn my eyes" and "dim my eyes" are the same. "Damn/dim my eyes if I should compromise the fulcrum" I think all of us agree that damning or dimming ones' eyes is probably a bad thing. Essentially, "allow something bad to happen to me should I fail to find a balance between wants and needs."

As was stated before, Manard does get breathy and difficult to understand when he is singing passionately (yelling) and we will not ever know for sure until the official lyrics - if ever - are released. Until then, do what works for you.

Luosdasa
05-18-2006, 01:16 AM
I honestly think he varies from line to line. I swear, listening to the first time that section goes round, that he says "damn my eyes (then) Jambi eyes (then) dim my eyes"

Listenin to it over and over again, there definetly seems to me to be a definite "d" sound at the begining of the first line, and undoubtalbe "j" sound at the begining of the second. Now i know its all to do with how its sung, but i find it too clear to be anydiferent. I find it can't be "dim my eyes" for that bit, as its a hard 'a' sound, where as on third time i hear a softer "i" sound. Also the "dim my eyes" on the last line makes more sense with the following lines.
So thats my reasoning, by no reason totally bullet proof (heh :p fire away) but das how i hear it. Though my ears may different to some...

scar
05-18-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm still in the:

Damn my eyes
Jambi eyes
Dim my eyes

corner.

i seriously think that if you hear this differently from what's written above, you got another copy of this album with different words. and that's possible. there is a theme of duality throughout this. maybe there are two "stereoscopic" versions of this album. me and McRoggles have one album, and those who do not have the "J" sound on the second verse have the parallel version. these are not the only lyrics in great debate. perhaps that's what they invisioned with their "dual release." maybe...............

SunBurN
05-18-2006, 10:18 AM
i seriously think that if you hear this differently from what's written above, you got another copy of this album with different words. and that's possible. there is a theme of duality throughout this. maybe there are two "stereoscopic" versions of this album. me and McRoggles have one album, and those who do not have the "J" sound on the second verse have the parallel version. these are not the only lyrics in great debate. perhaps that's what they invisioned with their "dual release." maybe...............

That I guess is possible, but that doesn't explain what I hear on four different LIVE versions of Jambi..which is Dim my eyes x3.

But this kind of back forth stuff is going to go on until the official lyrics are released over at toolband.com so I'm done trying to convince anybody. I feel good about what I think it is and that's all that counts to me until I know officially for sure.

Muladhara
05-18-2006, 02:41 PM
That I guess is possible, but that doesn't explain what I hear on four different LIVE versions of Jambi..which is Dim my eyes x3.

But this kind of back forth stuff is going to go on until the official lyrics are released over at toolband.com so I'm done trying to convince anybody. I feel good about what I think it is and that's all that counts to me until I know officially for sure.

It's tiring trying to argue with people who have no fucking idea isn't it?

I Chas I
05-18-2006, 04:10 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GTDvTYYexKg

DIM three times people, live at coachella

djqwerty13
05-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Can anyone enlighten me here; what's the meaning of 'jambi' anyway?

Only thing I can find on "Jambi" is an english mispelling on the province Djambi in Indonesia

enigma00
05-19-2006, 12:35 PM
The difference between "damn" and "dim" is almost nil depending on the way it is pronounced, so I don't think we'll really know until the real lyrics are posted.

On the album, however, the second one is DEFINATELY "jambi", there is no doubt about it. Live, it's hard to tell, but on that one clip he may not say it.

TOOL_Rules
05-19-2006, 01:12 PM

Great video!! You got closer than we were able to. I think you did a remarkable job holding that camera relatively still. I know what it was like 40 feet behind you, so props to you, dude. I think it's "Jambi" eyes every time. We'll find out soon enough.

autumnleigh
05-19-2006, 02:59 PM

I have a video from Coachella also, that I took, and I do not hear dim 3 times. In yours or mine or any others that I have heard.

I hear:

Damn my eyes
Jambi eyes
Dim my eyes

These lyrics are obviously totally subjective. Why we all still feel the need to debate this is weird, but I guess we all think we're right.

inSin
05-19-2006, 04:33 PM
i hear damn my eyes jambi eyes damn my eyes

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-20-2006, 04:36 AM
I got home from the pub last night (early this morning) and i got my ipod out, put the headphones in and lay in bed selected 10 000 days and cranked the volume up. I was lsitening to jambi, and it occured to me that its "DAMN my eyes" all 3 times. sorry dudes and dudettes but i am gonna have to insist that i'mr right and not in an arrogant way, its what i am hearing and have heard since i got the album. sorry

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-20-2006, 04:38 AM

no, honestly it is a common phrase

Luosdasa
05-20-2006, 04:25 PM
no, honestly it is a common phrase

a common phrase no one other than you it seems has ever heard of...
(nows the bit where people jump down my throat saying "i know it, cram it up you...")

swampyfool
05-20-2006, 04:53 PM
I've heard the words "Damn my eyes" before (or read them, and not on this thread), but I wouldn't callit "a common phrase." However, the point seems moot when you consider that Maynard's lyrics tend to incorporate common phrases, like "Do unto others, waht has been done to you;" and uncommon phrases, like "I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this: shit, blood and cum on my hands."

blair's man sausage
05-20-2006, 06:37 PM
when you see it live you'll know it's "jam-bye"...it's unmistakable

happydipshit
05-20-2006, 06:46 PM
its DIM you fucking ***gots, jesus fuck whats wrong with your ears!? ever heard of something called headphones?!?! you can hear and decipher MUCH better with them, take these things on and you'll hear DIM! D I M

jambi eyes.... my GOD people push that button on your head, seriously.

now comeon rip me apart bitches!

blair's man sausage
05-20-2006, 06:50 PM
its DIM you fucking ***gots, jesus fuck whats wrong with your ears!? ever heard of something called headphones?!?! you can hear and decipher MUCH better with them, take these things on and you'll hear DIM! D I M

jambi eyes.... my GOD people push that button on your head, seriously.

now comeon rip me apart bitches!

i guess being in germany you have seen the live show multiple times since that is the only country they're playing in...

fucking a, read post one above yours, i've seen 2 shows in 3 days and there is no fucking doubt in my mind what he says...

facsist

*waves finger*

happydipshit
05-20-2006, 07:00 PM
jam-bye... hehe of course.... well uhm.... now dont be that ridiculous and say something like facsist, generalizing bastard what you are. Because of dumbfucks like you (and your flock is wide) our nation is forced to act like the last whore "because we have soooo bad history" Fucking shithead take a look at your country and you'll find things in there much worse than ours.

... and for the record. its DIM.

blair's man sausage
05-20-2006, 07:06 PM
getting flustered adolf? i was fucking kidding about the facsist statement cause you asked to be ripped apart so i thought that at least was a comical way to go about said ripping...

now don't get your panties in a bunch cause you've yet to see them they will be in .de soon, that is of course unless the berlin wall goes back up...

now back to the thread, I also agree that the whole time the lyric was dim, but what mjk says live kinda overrules your interpretation, unless you wrote the lyrics for him then i respectfully step aside

happydipshit
05-20-2006, 07:12 PM
so just do it, step aside.

too bad your avatar obviously is NOT representing you.

you left - me right

who's walking on the right side?

blair's man sausage
05-20-2006, 07:18 PM
wtf are you talking about? i usually walk in the center or backwards...

you are the lyrical genius behind tool?

*bows down*

all i'm saying is: at the shows i was at on wed. in philly and last night in nyc, mjk swept all doubt under the rug regarding this lyric...it's un-fucking-mistakable live...

what it means (don't know) or however silly you think it is fine...live he says "jam-bye" simple as that there is no arguing this point...sorry...now where are you walking again?

swampyfool
05-20-2006, 07:32 PM
You know what? I, for one, am kinda gettin' sick to death of, "I saw them live and it's definitely . . ." and "I've listened to it like 76,294 times and I know that it's . . ." or "I've applied seventeen analysis programs and the lyric is . . ." and the like. No offense intended, but in all of these cases, you are relying on your senses. Senses decieve us every second of every minute of every hour of every day of our interminably short lives. There's no point in wasting all this time bickering about things we cannot be sure of until Maynard decides that we need to know the canon. So let's discuss it and analyze possible meanings rather than thump our chests proclaiming the superiority of our respective Tool acumens. To be hosnest, unless it's something new- or at least something that hasn't been suggested fifty times already- then I really don't want to hear any more of what you guys have heard when you listened to it underwater with a parking meter up your ass and a car battery alligator-clipped to your nipples while blowing your high school english teacher as he summarized "Moby Dick." (I mean why would you need it summarized as you're swallowing it whole? <Rimshot>)

Look, I'm not saying that you shouldn't post anything else about these lyrical disputes, but back it up with thoughts about the song- we already know what you heard and how you heard it. We all know what the disputed portions of the lyrics are, so now let's debate about WHY we think the lyrics that that each one of us has bought into fit the song best.

WitlessLiar
05-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Pried - I can't wait until the official lyrics come out and one of these guys is going to have to eat his words. I usually don't hold grudges but this is too funny to pass up :)

blair's man sausage
05-20-2006, 07:36 PM
yes-fucking-sir sir...

except i don't think "b" sounds like "m" or "j" sounds like "d" in this lyrical dispute...however hooked on phonics workeded por be

blair's man sausage
05-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Pried - I can't wait until the official lyrics come out and one of these guys is going to have to eat his words. :)

nobody on this boards eats their words...see all hoax threads to justify this statement...

swampyfool
05-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Pried - I can't wait until the official lyrics come out and one of these guys is going to have to eat his words. I usually don't hold grudges but this is too funny to pass up :)

The only problem is that one of these silly monkeys is gonna be right. I guess that all things in this universe must be in ballance. Some chest-thumping assholes are negated and will feel the need to stop thumping, while some other chest-thumping assholes are validated and will feel the need to thump louder. <sigh>

blair's man sausage
05-20-2006, 08:00 PM
The only problem is that one of these silly monkeys is gonna be right. I guess that all things in this universe must be in ballance. Some chest-thumping assholes are negated and will feel the need to stop thumping, while some other chest-thumping assholes are validated and will feel the need to thump louder. <sigh>

not into chest thumping...fuck it i don't care about anyone else's interpretation of the lyrics...kinda one of the cool things about tool, very open to symbolic & personal interpretation

JOK3R
05-20-2006, 09:43 PM
i hear dim my eyes x3

jarbsy
05-21-2006, 02:09 AM
Maynard spoke to me in a dream and told me it doesnt matter. Take away from the song what you want so that you benefit from it. No need to bicker and fight over minor details that in the broad perspective mean little to nothing. Whether its 'Dim', 'Damn' or 'Jam' (Mmm Jam...) He actually said that...It doesnt matter because you should experience the album how you want not how anyone tells you to. Free will, insight and foresight...they are gifts and your abusing them. Now im off to do a joint concert with Britney Spear's foetus.

*Disclaimer*
Maynard may or may not have spoken to me in a dream what is important is that there is Jam...and it's sweet.

Pårȃđīǥm
05-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Use Av Music Morpher and use the Voice Extracting tool to listen to the vocals alone. after doing this about 6-7 times i now firmly believe it is "Damn my eyes/Jam my eyes/Dim my eyes...". This method also clarified some other lyrics in this song and others for me. give it a shot it really helps.

Muladhara
05-21-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm still waiting on an explanation for what "Jambi eyes", "Jam my eyes" and "Jambi-ize" mean and why those meanings are more likely than "damn/dim my eyes".

This is the funniest argument ever.

swampyfool
05-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm still waiting on an explanation for what "Jambi eyes", "Jam my eyes" and "Jambi-ize" mean and why those meanings are more likely than "damn/dim my eyes".

As I have stated before, I don't buy in, at all, to the idea that Maynard mispronounces "Jambi" (Jom-bee) to come up with "Jam-bye Eyes" or "Jam-bye-ize;" it just seems below his intelect. The only argument I can make for "Jam My Eyes" is that if there is a "J" sound on the second round of "____ my eyes," than it has to be Jam. As far as a meaning is concerned, I am minded of images of a distraught person jamming the bases of his palms into the sockets of his eyes in hopes of mangling the memory of a particulary offensive, disgusting, blasphemous or otherwise unsettling reality. I think that this definition lends some credence to the possibility that this lyric fits. I must add that while I do hear the "J" sound, I'm not convinced that it is anything more than the convergence of an emphatic entry into "Damn/Dim" and the heavy guitar behind it. As for damn vs. dim, I think that both have plausible meanings that fit, and with Maynard's vocal aggressiveness, it's hard to distinguish between the phoenetics that either option imply. For me, "Damn my eyes"x3 is my prefered context.

And I, for one, had some fun with it.

chaotic_confusion
05-21-2006, 04:00 PM
i always thought it was "jambi i've", because he talks a lot about somebody changing his way of life, so in context it sounded to me like

"jambi i've... jambi i've... jambi i have aged, should comprimise a fulcrum, what to need, divide me, then i might as well be gone"

swampyfool
05-21-2006, 04:08 PM
i always thought it was "jambi i've", because he talks a lot about somebody changing his way of life, so in context it sounded to me like

"jambi i've... jambi i've... jambi i have aged, should comprimise a fulcrum, what to need, divide me, then i might as well be gone"

I personally don't hear it, but my bigger objection is that those lyrics seem to be a rambling jumble of fragments that don't mean anything. That's my initial observation, but I'd love to see a breakdown of what that means.

Pårȃđīǥm
05-21-2006, 04:44 PM

yeah that's....that's just wrong but hey, think what you want. Seriously, someone else should use that voice extractor so i don't have to upload the vocal track just to prove what i said.

evil agent
05-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Just piping in again..

After hearing the song 100 times, seeing it performed live, watching several videos of it, and listening to several live recordings....

I am 110% FUCKING PERCENT SURE IT'S *NOT* JAMBI EYES! It's Dim my eyes. OPEN YOUR EARS.

swampyfool
05-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Just piping in again..

After hearing the song 100 times, seeing it performed live, watching several videos of it, and listening to several live recordings....

I am 110% FUCKING PERCENT SURE IT'S *NOT* JAMBI EYES! It's Dim my eyes. OPEN YOUR EARS.
. . .

chaotic_confusion
05-22-2006, 11:37 AM
yeah... my post was just my initial thought, but ever since these topics started i haven't been sure what to think... i'm sure we'll fiind out soon enough

happydipshit
05-22-2006, 03:06 PM
DIM PEOPLE DIM!

... just fucking around.

alootaps
05-22-2006, 03:47 PM
i like this song. it's like about being in love with someone who makes everything better. but, you're waiting for them because for some reason you can't be together. and the waiting is tough. with so many distractions. eyes on the prize, and if i falter and look to someone else then my eyes be damned. and if there were one chance to find that the waiting would never amount to anything, i'd wish it all away. all the waiting, all the love. to avoid the inevitable pain of loss. and, Jambi grants wishes.

but, that's just my take on it.

mekka lekka hi mekka hiney ho

A Tad Bit Catatonic
05-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Didn't know my thread would be such a hit. Glad it provided for hours of meaningless debate for everyone at least hahaha =).

It aint JAMBI EYES though - I'm tellin you! haha that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and plus if you listen close either he is pronounicing it like a retard or it is "Jam my eyes" or "Damn or Dim my eyes" or somewhere in between. I am still partial to my theory though, and to me it sounds right (of course to me yes yes). It's a progressive little passage if it is in fact Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes, Dim my eyes - and he is always doing little tricks with words like that. It's cool, and it makes alot of sense, and to me, yes TO ME, it does sounds very much like that. =)

swampyfool
05-23-2006, 04:28 AM
Didn't know my thread would be such a hit. Glad it provided for hours of meaningless debate for everyone at least hahaha =).

It aint JAMBI EYES though - I'm tellin you! haha that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and plus if you listen close either he is pronounicing it like a retard or it is "Jam my eyes" or "Damn or Dim my eyes" or somewhere in between. I am still partial to my theory though, and to me it sounds right (of course to me yes yes). It's a progressive little passage if it is in fact Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes, Dim my eyes - and he is always doing little tricks with words like that. It's cool, and it makes alot of sense, and to me, yes TO ME, it does sounds very much like that. =)

Makes the most sense to me.

5th Eye
05-23-2006, 04:30 AM
Anyone heard the live version(s)?

It's "damn."

happydipshit
05-23-2006, 08:37 AM
DDDD I M M
D D I MM MM
D D I M M M
D D I M M
DDDD I M M

now that is ugly

SunBurN
05-23-2006, 09:07 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with you! I can't believe it's gone on this long. And I'll bet when the lyrics come out, there's going to be a slew of "told you so" threads about this song and other songs, and at the top of the list will be the "I told you it was Dim x3!" :)

I also can't believe that people's judgment and hearing are so clouded by the fact that thier brains are trying so hard to make a connection to the title of the song that they have to come up with this incredible stretch of hearing Jambi eyes, jambi I or whatever, when in reality, Jambi most likely has little or nothing obvious to do with the actual content of the song (except maybe to nard). "Dim my eyes" or at least the "d" sound is sung so clearly three times, how can you doubters not hear that??

Maybe nard just named it Jambi to fuck with us?

SunBurN
05-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Anyone heard the live version(s)?

It's "damn."

I have 4 different live versions and I hear "Dim" quite clearly.

5th Eye
05-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Well, let's agree to disagree.

/thread closed

MarsSerpent
05-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Yeah he's always putting stuff like that in to confusee me. I agree there's no way it's Jambi eyes. I think he switches between dim and damn. At least that's what I heard and what (I think) makes the most sense.

Q'ayin
05-23-2006, 02:23 PM
I read the entire thread yesterday, some issues back there might be dusty, but still seemed partly unaddressed or wholly unresolved.

First, my own bet is that the lyric is Damn my eyes, Jambi eyes, Damn my eyes.
Damn my eyes is a saying. Ask several people in their forties or so, or people who are into older writings or theatre - any form of tragedy.
And now for something completely different, namely, a sea-shanty excerpt:
"And there they lay, aye, damn my eyes
Looking up at paradise
All souls bound just contrawise"

In general use, to say "than (may god) damn my eyes" can mean:
"damn me", "if that's real I don't want to see any longer", or "I'll bet my vision that my vision is right" and many more, and many more. A related phrase or two would be "the/that accursed sight" "Terrible to behold"... Damn doens't fall as directly in line with the possible ''sun" nor with shine as Dim does, but a tinting / weakening of vision doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice, nor anything worth yelling about during the apex and center of a heavier song on any kind of 'rock' album. Note scare quotes, not an intended qualifier of Tool/Maynard, nor a generalization of genres, simply the natural association of rough expressions residing in 'rough' modes of expression.

it does sound at least a bit, on some of the bootleg recordings (as oppose to the T00L-endorsed and commercially-promoted version) a bit like dim where I hear damn, a bit like 'D' where I hear 'j'/'dj'. He does, in any event, do something different rather than singing Jambi as usually spoken/pronounced, which would be: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Jambi I would advise trying to YELL, in a bursting/growling voice, the word "Am" during these beats, just to see. It might sound like ham at first - but more importantly - your voice will probably sound better if you allow "(y)im" or dim rather than "Damn". Finally, if this proves true, listen to an intended 'dim', versus an allowed 'dim'.

(This above paragraph is crazy, but so were (are?...) some of the ongoing arguements. I hope this proves as laughable / entertaining.)

Next, for anyone who enjoys knee-jerk, associative thoughts - as I do, with salt -
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jambe --- if you come up with a concise reasoning as to how this makes sense, by all means... Anyway, if this were actually related to the lyric (some doubt on my end) it would explain "Jambe my eyes" as he pronounces it. I may be leading you astray, whether I am, or not, I do so intentionally. (after thought, fulcrum/jambe -whatever)

-- in any event a pun for the eisegesis of at least a few. (-A word ppl here should use to distinguish a strictly personal view from a view which hopes to have sounded Maynard's, intentions, out.

Also, I'm somewhat unsure if I hear the lyric as "center" at ~3:00, or so...
But, tying back into this thread, as a joke down the lines of the hard/soft consonant argument (spoken of in those terms earlier in this thread) - I looked up the 'djambi' spelling which was mentioned at that point - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djambi#The_maze

Anyhow, I'm happy with any lyric concensus which has it as Damn the first time, and does not have it as Dim in that second instance.

So, to the OP, Yes, concensus, on my part. It would be great if others clarified from here out whether they believe it's worth it / possible to prove their preference to the general pool of views around here, or better to simply offer their suggestions to be used as liked.

Drawn Under
05-24-2006, 08:29 AM
I could see it being damn my eyes, jam my eyes, dim my eyes. After seeing this thread i have listened to this line on 4 different live versions of the song trying to hear it. I originally thought this seemed strange, i thought it was just damn my eyes, but i can kinda hear it a lil different in the live versions. So i guess i sort of agree to this idea.

thomas jefferson
05-24-2006, 09:13 PM
can anyone pm me link to live? or at least, tell me where i can find a vast library of toolmania? or just resurrect the toolhub?

me too?

justify_denials
05-24-2006, 09:31 PM
man, you people are deaf!!! It is only "jam my eyes" it sounds prefectly clear to me..........ran it through some filters in my player to try and isolate the instruments from the vocals. Definately "jam my eyes" all three times.

justify_denials
05-24-2006, 09:35 PM
everyone is definately hearing what they want to hear with this song.

Gnome_Chomsky
05-25-2006, 05:49 AM
It definatly sounds like "Damn my eyes if they should compromise...." at least at that one part. Could it be just dam my eyes? as though he wants them blocked?

swampyfool
05-25-2006, 06:55 AM
It could be "damn," it could be "jam," it could be "dim . . ." These three make sense, and the phoenetics are such that any of these could be right. I'm fully content to wait for Maynard to settle this score. The only thing that CAN'T be right is "Jambeye eyes," or anything that starts with the mispronunciation of "Jambi." Check Q'ayin's first link: it contains a link that actually says the word in proper pronunciation (just in case you can't decipher a pronunciation guide).

However, "Jambe" you, Q'ayin. I don't know what that means, as "Jambe" doesn't seem to have any context as a verb. But I thought that maybe you do, as you suggest that the phrase might be "jambe my eyes." What does it mean? Point your eyes at the door frame- kinda like "heel your dog" means bring the dog to your heel? Also, your third link (about the game of Djambi) made for interesting reading, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the song. I'll wager my "Necromobile" and my "Assassin" that the two are unconnected, and you are just a "Troublemaker."

Max T.
05-25-2006, 02:11 PM
if these are actually the words, off the top of my head i would definately say that "Jam my eyes" comes first. Is Jambi actually pronounced "Jom-bee?" because I always thought it was "Jambi-eyes" (Jam-bye).

More importantly, who gives two shits about worrying what the real lyrics are? Seriously, it doesn't matter because if I remember correctly, Maynard usually posts the ACTUAL lyrics about a month or so after the album release: the reason being is to NOT follow the song along with the words (if he were so inclined to post them simultaneously with the release), but to listen to the music first and worry about the lyrics later because thats what he feels is primarily important, according to his words I read from an interview. So we really don't need to worry about this so much, because we will find out in the near future I believe.

Muladhara
05-25-2006, 02:47 PM
if these are actually the words, off the top of my head i would definately say that "Jam my eyes" comes first. Is Jambi actually pronounced "Jom-bee?" because I always thought it was "Jambi-eyes" (Jam-bye).

More importantly, who gives two shits about worrying what the real lyrics are? Seriously, it doesn't matter because if I remember correctly, Maynard usually posts the ACTUAL lyrics about a month or so after the album release: the reason being is to NOT follow the song along with the words (if he were so inclined to post them simultaneously with the release), but to listen to the music first and worry about the lyrics later because thats what he feels is primarily important, according to his words I read from an interview. So we really don't need to worry about this so much, because we will find out in the near future I believe.

Then why are you posting in the official lyrics threads if you're not worried about them?

In fact, why are you posting in this thread?

Aggroculture
05-25-2006, 07:47 PM
I didn't read this whole thread, God forgive me, but if anyone cares, Justin recently referred to the song and pronounced it 'Jam-bee'. Not 'Jam-bye'.

But yeah, I think it's a big old Maynardian joke. Jambye eyes.

Max T.
05-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Then why are you posting in the official lyrics threads if you're not worried about them?

In fact, why are you posting in this thread?

i came to the thought in the midst of writing the post.............................................. ..............and will not post here again....eheh

Max T.
05-26-2006, 05:04 PM
actually, my original point may have come across as a bit hazy. What I meant to say was that its not very efficient to continue arguing about the lyrics at this point because none of us will come to any conclusions, especially because not everyone will agree on what the words are until they are "officially" posted, so we might as well continue with our own interpretations until then.

hbynoe
05-27-2006, 03:11 PM
i definitely heard him sing...jam my eyes...and damn my eyes live... as for the third dim..i have to listen more

Luosdasa
05-27-2006, 03:52 PM
If the second line isnt "jam my eyes" or "jambi eyes" or whateva the fuck it is starting with "J", then thats the worst bit of singing by maynard iv heard. Really fucking lazy, cuz there is definitely a "J" sound. Whether thats intentional or just sloppy pronounciation of "D" is what this fucking agument is over. And yet. there are those who totaly deny the "J" sound... WHAT FUCKING SONG ARE YOU LISTENING TO???
All the live versions iv heard also have the same "J" sound... So my only conclusion is that your listening to some other song... perhpas by another band?... wait wait, this is a TooL forum right? Cuz if it isnt that'd explain alot...

DrummerAndrew
05-27-2006, 07:54 PM
You don't dim eyes. You dim light that the eyes see. So there. It's damn my eyes. Love this album.

barometric_tool
05-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Maybe it's some sort of personal fetish he has with PB&J. And he's explaining where he wants the strawberry jam.

moneyisevil
05-27-2006, 07:58 PM
ummm bin/lock/delete

its dim

æmoeba•°·.
05-27-2006, 08:30 PM
you guys still aren't listening to what i had said last night. I had said that it could be "Jambi's" as well. Artists extend words too, and if it is "jambi's", then it would be pronounced (jam-bye). It is either plural, showing more than one 'jambi', per se. Or it could be showing onwership as in " Jambi's " and object being bartered or (compromised) over as said in the lyrics. the lyric would be extended in this fashion: "...Jambiiiiii's..." just to show that he held the word.

.•°andrew·.

last night

it's either "Dim my eye's", "Damn my eyes", or "Jambi's" (showing plural in each one and extending it if the lyric is "jambi's".

If he actually used the reference, which i think he would, it would be soundful like this
"Jambiiiiii's". (( and is pronouced 'jam-bye' ))

but you can as well here a "d" sound for dim or damn in the song.

lyrics:

"[dim/damn] my eye's, if they should compromise..." referring to seeing something clearly with a compromise of a certain time or in a certain place.

"[jambi's], if they should compromise..." meaning objects or people etc...being relavant to some "state of mind"

but it 'Jambi' is made capitalized in the song and made it "[ Jambis' ]", it would make less sense because it says "they" meaning plural, but it would be showing some sort of "(ownership)" and the "compromise" of them being a barter.

((just an opinion here))

~Andrew B. Campbell

barometric_tool
05-27-2006, 08:37 PM
you guys still aren't listening to what i had said last night. I had said that it could be "Jambi's" as well. Artists extend words two, and if it is "jambi's", then it would be pronounced (jam-bye). It is either plural, showing more than one 'jambi', per se. Or it could be showing onwership as in " Jambi's " and object being bartered or (compromised) over as said in the lyrics. the lyric would be extended in this fashion: "...Jambiiiiii's..." just to show that he held the word.

but it could be very well, damn my eye's, or dim my eyes. you have to listen to the song to sort of catch the lyric you are trying to correct for tip as well.

What does that mean?

æmoeba•°·.
05-27-2006, 08:43 PM
i had meant to say "artists extend words *too*...". it means that while the artist is singing, "maynard", they hold out a certain word a little longer and create different octaves with the word. like this -> "Jambiiiiiii's". It gets a differnt pitch when he would hold the "iiiiiiii's". you understand now?

BoomShakaLaka
05-28-2006, 12:02 PM
When i saw it live, i was close enough to see his mouth move, and he DEFINETLY said JAMBI, so my vote is with jambi

A Tad Bit Catatonic
05-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Alright guys, I have been listening closer and I'm going to admit it - I will start a new thread now. It's there. He is just almost holding his breath when he says it. Anyway - here goes.

æmoeba•°·.
05-29-2006, 12:28 PM
i'm just trying to settle a bit of the argument by saying that it is " Jambiiiiii's "

A Tad Bit Catatonic
05-29-2006, 03:41 PM
I really really think he's saying "dim my eyes." "Damn my eyes" does not make as much sense, either.

Alright, even though I will admit that they Jamb-eye is there, I still think my progression is there. I am quite sure of it.

Damn my eyes: He's saying "this is not good, my eyes are losing their sight"

Jamb-eye eyes: I think this is some reference to eyes losing their sight, metaphorically or not, though in what context I have no idea. Could be historical.

Dim my eyes: The third step of the progression, on towards complete loss of sight.

He talks about the light in Judith's eyes being dim on here to remember, so that reenforces it to me. Just a hunch, but I think the progression is there, and it does make ALOT of sense, to me at least.

RAZYR65
05-30-2006, 06:14 PM
i'm pretty sure mjk is saying "dammit you guys", or maybe "slimey flies", but then after i listened for the 69th time, i thought he said "camel toes"
.. HA HA
I'm with Auntie............. no really

scar
06-01-2006, 07:13 AM
it doesn't matter if it makes sense to YOU. i'm not sure Maynard is singing this just for you. just because "jam-bye" doesn't make sense to you, then your rationale is that it is impossible Maynard can be singing that in a song. that's just bad reasoning.

stop writing "i think he says...." and "maybe it's...."

the phonetics are as follows: "D amn/im my eyes. J ambized/am my eyes. D im/amn my eyes if they should compromise....."

i'm not writing what I THINK it could be, i'm writing what is CLEARLY coming through my speakers. the speakers in my house, in my car, in my headphones, etc. it IS in the music. you may have a different copy of the cd, but in mine, and many others, these phonetics that i mentioned above are undoubtedly there.

please stop trying to deny it with a closed mind. whether or not you understand the lyrics is inconsequential. just because you have held steadfast in your belief of "damn, dim, dim" or "dim, dim, dim" doesn't mean you are right. sometimes people's closed minds end up closing their ears as well.

and no, i am not saying that you are a closed minded person for not agreeing with what he sings, or even not hearing what is clearly there. i'm just saying that someone who disagrees should come over and listen to the cd i have, and then try to tell me "JAMBI EYES" or "JAMBI-IZED" isn't there, right to my face.

just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it inconceivable.

PriceisRight
06-01-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty sure he's saying:

"Give me pieeeeees"

he's just hungry...feed the man!

original f/x
06-01-2006, 10:34 AM
i thought it was "hair pies".....anyway its the best new song live in my opinion

k~nug
06-01-2006, 08:07 PM
I thought it was damn until I heard it clearly through some car speaks. There is a J and a B.

Jambi

æmoeba•°·.
06-01-2006, 08:15 PM
i'm telling you all it's " JAMBI..IIIIIIII'S " as in plural...he holds the "i"....

You can clearly here the "s" at the end and you can tell all he does is take the "I" in Jami and extends it and adds different pitches to it so that it flows with the music.....

PriceisRight
06-01-2006, 09:10 PM
i'm telling you all it's " JAMBI..IIIIIIII'S " as in plural...he holds the "i"....

You can clearly here the "s" at the end and you can tell all he does is take the "I" in Jami and extends it and adds different pitches to it so that it flows with the music.....

no...there are three sylibals in the sentence.

Unless he says it like Jam-bi-iiiiiiiii which is stupid then it can't work.

æmoeba•°·.
06-01-2006, 09:21 PM
no...there are three sylibals in the sentence.

Unless he says it like Jam-bi-iiiiiiiii's which is stupid then it can't work.

lol it isn't stupid and it does work, you don't understand the flow of music...

Luosdasa
06-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Im thinking that perhaps we should give this a rest... no ones going to change everyones mind untill official lyrics come out, seems kind of a waste of time.
Meh, i spose u can continue arguing it if u really want too, but im out.

(ps, theres a "j" on the second line... :P)

swampyfool
06-02-2006, 05:27 AM
it doesn't matter if it makes sense to YOU. i'm not sure Maynard is singing this just for you. just because "jam-bye" doesn't make sense to you, then your rationale is that it is impossible Maynard can be singing that in a song. that's just bad reasoning.

stop writing "i think he says...." and "maybe it's...."

the phonetics are as follows: "D amn/im my eyes. J ambized/am my eyes. D im/amn my eyes if they should compromise....."

i'm not writing what I THINK it could be, i'm writing what is CLEARLY coming through my speakers. the speakers in my house, in my car, in my headphones, etc. it IS in the music. you may have a different copy of the cd, but in mine, and many others, these phonetics that i mentioned above are undoubtedly there.

please stop trying to deny it with a closed mind. whether or not you understand the lyrics is inconsequential. just because you have held steadfast in your belief of "damn, dim, dim" or "dim, dim, dim" doesn't mean you are right. sometimes people's closed minds end up closing their ears as well.

and no, i am not saying that you are a closed minded person for not agreeing with what he sings, or even not hearing what is clearly there. i'm just saying that someone who disagrees should come over and listen to the cd i have, and then try to tell me "JAMBI EYES" or "JAMBI-IZED" isn't there, right to my face.

just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it inconceivable.
So, are you telling me that you definitively know every word to every song on the album because the phoenetics are there? Come on! Are you saying that when the lyrics for Undertow finally came out you didn't experience any surprise? There are numerous lyrics spread throughout Tool's lexicon that (phoenetically interpreted) are suprising. Once Maynard tells us what he is actually saying, of course, it becomes much easier to hear the slight nuances that construct the whole. But your assertion that the phoentics are enough to draw definitive conclusion is flawed in the context of this band (and most bands of any value, for that matter).

Look, I'm not saying that it can't be "Jam-bye." I just think that if we are going to discuss lyrics at a time when there is no definitve canon available, then people need to construct their arguments in a way that explains or justifies their leaps. Aside from phoenetics (which really are muddied by effects processing and aggressive instrumentation), nobody can offer a rationale that is (as the root of "rationale" would seemingly require) rational.

Inner_Eulogy
06-02-2006, 09:37 AM
I say it's "Dim my eyes, Jambi eyes, Damn my eyes

PriceisRight
06-02-2006, 04:18 PM
lol it isn't stupid and it does work, you don't understand the flow of music...

the only way I could see it working is if the not change makes it sound like a 3rd sylibal

æmoeba•°·.
06-02-2006, 04:36 PM
the only way I could see it working is if the not change makes it sound like a 3rd sylibal

GOOD JOB CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!!...Maynard's done it in past songs before....

PriceisRight
06-02-2006, 05:41 PM
GOOD JOB CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!!...Maynard's done it in past songs before....

I'm so proud.

æmoeba•°·.
06-02-2006, 06:43 PM
lol...proud after the 5th time of me explainging it so vaguely and you finally getting it...

I Chas I
06-07-2006, 05:58 PM
dim my eyes
dim my eyes
dim my eyes if they should comprimise the fulcrum watching me. divide me then i might as well be gone.

Thats what i hear. Im not saying you are wrong. Im not saying im right. But that is what i will hear untill the official lyrics are posted. I have tried, but i have never, ever, herd Jambi eyes.

Inner_Eulogy
06-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Can't believe you fools are still arguing about this. It is definately "Damn my eyes, Jambi eyes, Dim my eyes if they should compromise the fulcrum, want and need divide me then I might as well be gone" How does that just not make perfect sense.

Now for the sake of argument, if you look up the correct pronunciation of Jambi however, it is pronounced like "jahm-bee"...which is why for a long time I disagreed with "jambi" being said but if you turn all bass off and turn up the treble you can clearly hear "jam-bye" pronounced.

paraflux
06-08-2006, 07:13 AM
http://toolnavy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 04:51 PM
So this is still up . . ? I thought it was locked. Well, game on!

QuantumMind
06-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Damn my eyes, Jambi eyes, Jam my eyes if they should...

tonedef
06-10-2006, 05:44 PM
i think that the context and enuciation in which the "jam" is refered to is "jamb", as in the frame of a door, -> eyes: "windows to the soul", door: through which one enters or exits -> soul perhaphs (connexion?) ??? possibly maybe. peace :-)

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Damn my eyes, Jambi eyes, Jam my eyes if they should...
Alright, your turn. What does this mean?

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 06:06 PM
i think that the context and enuciation in which the "jam" is refered to is "jamb", as in the frame of a door, -> eyes: "windows to the soul", door: through which one enters or exits -> soul perhaphs (connexion?) ??? possibly maybe. peace :-)
It's a bit of a stretch because it's yoda-speak (noun+possesive pronoun+noun=sentence?), but I suppose it's possible. The definition of jamb (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jamb) specifically references window frames, so you need not leap from doors to windows . . . I still can't quite see what it means, though . . .

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 06:06 PM
ok so jamb=door jam. so maybe bi=2 as in 2 eyes.
I'm not sold on that . . .

Shaz
06-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Meh, i can wait till the lyrics are posted by the MAN, cuz he is the man. But maybe, if it is Jam-bi-iiiiii in the lyrics, and if its about his son... could be an inside joke between the two, something only a tool lead singer and his son would understand and laugh about 5, 10 years down the road.

but whatever
peace

Terry21
06-11-2006, 06:24 AM
I'm pretty certain he sings "Vicarious's".

kaross579
06-13-2006, 12:07 PM
OK, here's what I did:

Took the audio file and slowed the tempo down about 75%.... cut out the Bass and some of the mids to isolate the vocals more. Based on that, the first and third lines sound like "Damn" then "Dim" to me, but it is inconclusive. However, I am 100% sure that the middle line has a 'J' sound and 'B' sound in it.

Now granted, who knows if that's Maynard improvising or whatever, but the sounds are definitely there.

swampyfool
06-13-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty certain he sings "Vicarious's".
You're such a Tool. It's "Viginti Tres's." Clear as day.

Terry21
06-13-2006, 12:38 PM
You're such a Tool. It's "Viginti Tres's." Clear as day.

Jammit! My fault.

alootaps
06-15-2006, 07:04 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=damn+your+eyes!

anybody ever take into account that maynard has an accent? or that he mumbles sometimes? damn your eyes is an old ass saying. i first heard it in the young frankenstein movie. no matter what maynard's mumblings sound like, i definitely believe he is saying "damn" my eyes. it makes the most sense in the context of the rest of the line, to me.

hell, maybe i'm wrong and it's "Jim, my eyes!"

as in, "Hey Jim! Where did you put my eyes? I can't see shit!"

SunBurN
06-16-2006, 09:22 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=damn+your+eyes!

anybody ever take into account that maynard has an accent? or that he mumbles sometimes? damn your eyes is an old ass saying. i first heard it in the young frankenstein movie. no matter what maynard's mumblings sound like, i definitely believe he is saying "damn" my eyes. it makes the most sense in the context of the rest of the line, to me.

"

I don't agree, Dim my eyes makes just as much sense...

I've listened to this so many different ways, the studio version and 5 different live versions and all i hear is Dim my eyes, Dim my eyes, Dim my eyes...

I predict when the lyrics come out, all of us that believe it's Dim my eyes x3, will be vindicated. Everyone else will be saying...damn...I really thought it was Damn my eyes or jambi eyes or whatever.

Staticfactory
06-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Here's a few confirmed dates, with tickets going on sale this weekend (except for the Honolulu shows, I believe). Keep checking as there will be A LOT MORE SHOWS ADDED once they're confirmed... as well as some other things that should make certain people very happy.

If I'm taking this hint correctly, it's quite possible that the official lyrics will be posted soon. Of course, anyone that waited for the Undertow lyrics may be prepared to wait another few years.

Considering "10,000 Days" is still missing from all the site areas (besides the news) it could really be anything, but here's hoping that we can get a little help with these debates.

SunBurN
06-21-2006, 01:39 PM
If I'm taking this hint correctly, it's quite possible that the official lyrics will be posted soon. Of course, anyone that waited for the Undertow lyrics may be prepared to wait another few years.

Considering "10,000 Days" is still missing from all the site areas (besides the news) it could really be anything, but here's hoping that we can get a little help with these debates.

Yep, I was hoping the same thing when I visited Toolband today and read that.

happydipshit
06-21-2006, 01:41 PM
damn / Dim seems correct to me

jambiiiiiis, jambized, jambi eyes and stuff like that (with jambi in it) is - to me - plain bullshit

Kurtz
i am perfectly content to wait until maynard releases his lyrics.

paraflux
damn / Dim seems correct to me

jambiiiiiis, jambized, jambi eyes and stuff like that (with jambi in it) is - to me - plain bullshit
... to you.

Opiate_Mass
06-21-2006, 07:04 PM
I think the idea of Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes/jambi eyes, dim my eyes is spot on. I hadn't thought of him saying three different things...but I think that's right. Whatever the middle one is, it deffinatly starts with a J.
sounds like "Jambi Eyes, Damn My Eyes, Damn my eyes if they should compromise" to me you can DEFINATELY hear a 'J' sound guys....

Inner_Eulogy
06-21-2006, 07:46 PM
ok so jamb=door jam. so maybe bi=2 as in 2 eyes.

Now that's just plain retarded

Opiate_Mass
06-21-2006, 09:11 PM
DAMN MY EYES...

DAMN MY EYES...

say it with me...

DAMN MY EYES...

say it again..

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

OGT enough? hahahah you fucking loser, get a life

Opiate_Mass
06-21-2006, 09:17 PM
For fuck's sake.

If the song wasn't called Jambi you would not say "It's Jambi eyes!".

Explain to the class please exactly what 'Jambi eyes' means.

Show me where previously, Tool have just made up words IN THE LYRICS, not in the titles.

The only way "Jambi eyes" would make sense to the world at large is if it means "Eyes that see only Jambi" or "Eyes that were changed forever by Jambi".

Now considering that, how does that line make sense with the lines exactly before and after it which you concede are either "dim my eyes" or "damn my eyes".

"Kill me if these eyes that were changed forever by Jambi should compromise what I have with Jambi."

Because if Jambi is the subject of the song, whom he would give everything up for then that line makes NO FUCKING SENSE!

ok what about in rosetta stoned? "abananabananabananabananabanana, so that when i opened up my bug eyes."

SunBurN
06-22-2006, 06:55 AM
ok what about in rosetta stoned? "abananabananabananabananabanana, so that when i opened up my bug eyes."

What's your point??

Muladhara
06-22-2006, 06:59 AM

We don't even know that those are the real lyrics!!!!

5th Eye
06-22-2006, 05:45 PM
AWWW DREDG RIPOFF

swampyfool
06-23-2006, 03:51 PM
And it is the recollection of a person who was tripping his balls off and doesn't really have any earthly clue what has just happened to him. I do not believe that the narrator of Jambi has any such impedement to his ability to percieve reality, and thus, this comparison lacks foundation.

Terry21
06-24-2006, 02:41 PM
I really can't tell if it is "damn" or "dim". I'm tending to dim.

Has anybody true reasons for which of the both it could be?

NicParabola
06-26-2006, 05:50 AM
It's "dim my eyes" all three times. No Jambi or damn or anything else. I came to this conclusion after listening to this song many many times. And anyway: "Dim" is the only thing that makes sense.

He says that his eyes should be dimmed so he sees less of the things that make him "compromise his fulcrum", which means giving up his principles and centre in life.

I can't understand why people have to discuss about this so much when one can clearly hear "Dim my eyes". Man. I just had to say that.

BGA
06-26-2006, 06:22 AM
It's "dim my eyes" all three times. No Jambi or damn or anything else. I came to this conclusion after listening to this song many many times. And anyway: "Dim" is the only thing that makes sense.

He says that his eyes should be dimmed so he sees less of the things that make him "compromise his fulcrum", which means giving up his principles and centre in life.

I can't understand why people have to discuss about this so much when one can clearly hear "Dim my eyes". Man. I just had to say that.

How can it be clearly heard when it took you "many many times" listening to it to come to your conclution? Sorry, I had to say that.

Inner_Eulogy
06-27-2006, 06:58 PM

I would have to disagree, the second time he says it, there is definately a "bi" sound, you can clearly hear the B. Although it still has me perplexed due the the actual pronounciation of "jahm-bee" although I swear he says "jam-bye eyes"

Khaotic
06-28-2006, 07:15 PM
its "dim my eyes" all three times

psychodad
06-29-2006, 03:03 AM
It's Jambi eyes.

And it makes perfect sense too. It's the name of the song, the song talks about wishing, Jambi is a genie who grants wishes. Looks like a sultan, has weird EYES.

The song itself is not about a damn childrens show character, it is used as a lyrical connection. None of this should be at all new to Tool fans....like naming a song stinkfist but actually singing about something else than fisting the ass.

Here's a Jambi picture...

http://www.tvacres.com/enchanted_genies_jambie.htm

Muladhara
06-29-2006, 03:13 AM
It's Jambi eyes.

And it makes perfect sense too. It's the name of the song, the song talks about wishing, Jambi is a genie who grants wishes. Looks like a sultan, has weird EYES.

The song itself is not about a damn childrens show character, it is used as a lyrical connection. None of this should be at all new to Tool fans....like naming a song stinkfist but actually singing about something else than fisting the ass.

No it isn't.

Not it doesn't. No it's not, the name of the song is "Jahm-bee" not "Jam-bye".

psychodad
06-29-2006, 03:25 AM
No it isn't.

Not it doesn't. No it's not, the name of the song is "Jahm-bee" not "Jam-bye".

My album cover says Jambi, so does the official tracklisting. If your's has it listed as Jahm-bee, you might wanna call the cops and tell them which place sells badly done pirate cd's.

Oh, you were suggesting that your interpretation of pronouncing the name should be authority in this issue?

swampyfool
06-29-2006, 05:40 AM
My album cover says Jambi, so does the official tracklisting. If your's has it listed as Jahm-bee, you might wanna call the cops and tell them which place sells badly done pirate cd's.

Oh, you were suggesting that your interpretation of pronouncing the name should be authority in this issue?
My album cover says Jambi, too. So, since you're such a stickler for spelling, perhaps you can tell us why you posted a link to a site that talks about "Jambie (with an e?) the Genie" in an attempt to explain the song title.

Also, if the song is about Jambi the genie (as that's the way they actually spell the genie's name on Pee-Wee's Playhouse)- which is pronounced "JAHM-bee," just like the Indonesian province- then why does Maynard pronounce it as "JAM-bye" when he sings it? Get over it. The "b" sound is a foible of the sonic engineering- MAYNARD NEVER SINGS THE TITLE OF THIS SONG. I might be swayed from this position if somebody could come up with a plausible (meaning researched- not speculative) idea as to what a phrase like "Jambi eyes" means at the same time as offering a plausible (again- researched- not speculative) rationale for the mispronunciation. However, I've done a hell of a lot of research on the topic myself, and I haven't been able to find a single thing that even remotely gives credence to this notion. I doubt any of you will, either.

SunBurN
06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
My album cover says Jambi, too. So, since you're such a stickler for spelling, perhaps you can tell us why you posted a link to a site that talks about "Jambie (with an e?) the Genie" in an attempt to explain the song title.

Also, if the song is about Jambi the genie (as that's the way they actually spell the genie's name on Pee-Wee's Playhouse)- which is pronounced "JAHM-bee," just like the Indonesian province- then why does Maynard pronounce it as "JAM-bye" when he sings it? Get over it. The "b" sound is a foible of the sonic engineering- MAYNARD NEVER SINGS THE TITLE OF THIS SONG. I might be swayed from this position if somebody could come up with a plausible (meaning researched- not speculative) idea as to what a phrase like "Jambi eyes" means at the same time as offering a plausible (again- researched- not speculative) rationale for the mispronunciation. However, I've done a hell of a lot of research on the topic myself, and I haven't been able to find a single thing that even remotely gives credence to this notion. I doubt any of you will, either.

Nicely put, exactly what I was thinking and I'll add to that (as has been mentioned before) if the title of the song wasn't "Jambi" then no one would be trying to make that incredible stretching reach of claiming they hear "jam-bye eyes" or the "j" or "B" sound at all because put quite simply, it just wouldn't occur to anyone because honestly, before this song, I'd never even heard of Jambi! Can many of you honestly say you had? And if so, would you have made that connection of Jambi eyes if the song was called something like "king's view" or whatever? If it did have a different title, this issue of Jambi eyes would never have come up. The only debate would be Dim my eyes vs damn!

So why don't you all stop trying to connect Jambi to the lyrics of the song litterally! The truth is, we have no idea why MJK named the song Jambi, and maybe we never will. But I'm extremely confident when the lyrics come out, it will be:

Dim my eyes x 3

Terry21
06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
It's Jambi eyes.

HEY! MAYBE IT'S:

PSYCHODAD'S PENIS!

PSYCHODAD'S PENIS!

PSYCHODAD'S PENIS!

I CAN REALLY HEAR THAT IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE

SunBurN
06-30-2006, 09:20 AM
HEY! MAYBE IT'S:

PSYCHODAD'S PENIS!

PSYCHODAD'S PENIS!

PSYCHODAD'S PENIS!

I CAN REALLY HEAR THAT IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha......... no!

moneyisevil
06-30-2006, 07:40 PM
ARE U PEOPLE LACKING BRAINS? HAVE NONE OF U HEARD THE BOOTLEGS/SEEN THE SONG LIVE?

HERE I'LL SPELL IT OUT CLEARLY FOR YOU

ITS

DAMN

AS IN GOD DAMN IT OR DAMN IT ALL TO HELL

YES DAMN

YOU KNOW WHEN U STUB YOUR TOE YOU SAY DAMN?

ITS THE SAME DAMN

SPELLED D-A-M-N

ONE MORE TIME

ITS SPELLED D-A-M-N

AS IN DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

Terry21
07-01-2006, 04:00 AM
I don't think you could know whether it is Maynard's dim or damn, Mister.

5th Eye
07-02-2006, 01:37 PM
It's damn. End of fucking discussion. Jesus christ.

Terry21
07-02-2006, 02:02 PM

We'll see when the offcial lyrics are out dude, remind me of it then. I bet it's dim. But this discussion may be over now.

ween69
07-03-2006, 08:05 AM
he's saying, spank my eyes

SunBurN
07-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Whatever, it really sounds like dim to me. And nice try, but you're no authority and so its Dim my eyes x3 until the official lyrics tell me otherwise.

Once again, it really sounds like DIM MY EYES x3 on both the studio version and all of the live recordings of it I have.

DIM MY EYES.

5th Eye
07-06-2006, 10:00 AM
No. It really, really doesn't.

But whatever.

SunBurN
07-06-2006, 11:10 AM
No. It really, really doesn't.

But whatever.

yes it really, really does sound that way to me and until the lyrics are officially released, no one here can say emphatically, and confidently exactly what MJK is saying except the man himself.

waffel
07-07-2006, 12:09 PM
ARE U PEOPLE LACKING BRAINS? HAVE NONE OF U HEARD THE BOOTLEGS/SEEN THE SONG LIVE?

HERE I'LL SPELL IT OUT CLEARLY FOR YOU

ITS

DAMN

AS IN GOD DAMN IT OR DAMN IT ALL TO HELL

YES DAMN

YOU KNOW WHEN U STUB YOUR TOE YOU SAY DAMN?

ITS THE SAME DAMN

SPELLED D-A-M-N

ONE MORE TIME

ITS SPELLED D-A-M-N

AS IN DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

correct.

slicknickshady
07-07-2006, 04:18 PM
I think its "Damn my eyes" 3x
What would this mean: Jambi eyes if they should comprimise?

I agree with this now. I used to think it was Jambi in the middle but i have switched my viewpoint you yours.

SunBurN
07-10-2006, 08:47 AM
correct.

DIM MY EYES X3

pull your head on out your happy haze and give a listen...

DIM MY EYES x3!!!!!!!!!!

5th Eye
07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
No.

"Happy haze"? WTF? "Hippie" if anything remotely like that.

static
07-10-2006, 10:32 AM
What. "Dim my eyes if they should compromise"? That doesn't make any sense. Jam my eyes is just stupid, there is no J sound to it at all. "Damn" has much more power to it and it follows context much smoother.

Faulkb8
07-10-2006, 10:46 AM
why is this even an argument, im 100% sure its damn my eyes , ive heard a couple bootlegs its pretty clear.

bozziodrummer000
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
DAMN maynards EYESSSSSS
DAMN maynards EYESSSS

5th Eye
07-10-2006, 10:53 AM
This needs a poll.

Chris Myth
07-10-2006, 11:36 AM
in keeping with the spiritual references in this song, dealing with the devil, the dark side, etc., i'm more inclined to say that it's "damn my eyes", damnation being more a more spiritual concept, as well as a more powerful statement much more fitting of the raw growl maynard delivers it with... i have a hard time hearing "jambi" even when i try, even on the live recordings i've heard...

SunBurN
07-10-2006, 01:57 PM
No.

"Happy haze"? WTF? "Hippie" if anything remotely like that.

DIM MY Eyes...

YES!

you seem to have a problem hearing the "I" in Dim and the "A" in Happy. You're all backwards brotha.

SunBurN
07-10-2006, 01:59 PM
why is this even an argument, im 100% sure its damn my eyes , ive heard a couple bootlegs its pretty clear.

NO, I've heard at least 5 different live versions and it even seems like MJK makes it a point to sing and make it clearly heard he singing "DIM MY EYES" x3.

5th Eye
07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
you seem to have a problem hearing the "I" in Dim and the "A" in Happy. You're all backwards brotha.No you are.

Oh wait...you're from Seattle...it must be a dialect thing, eh?

SunBurN
07-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh wait...you're from Seattle...it must be a dialect thing, eh?

You're right, and you're from Ohio, enough said ;)

SunBurN
07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't get it? how can you hear "damn" when it's so clearly Dim. You may not like the lyrics being Dim, but it sure sounds that way to me and makes as much sense as "damn".

What are all of you that think it's "Damn" going to do when the lyrics are released and if they say it says "Dim"? I'm just saying what if?

If it's says "damn", then I'll probably think, wow it sounds like "Dim" to me, but I can go with damn too if that's what they end up being officially. But I'm thinking with all the people here that so adamantly demand that everyone go with "damn", that IF it ends up being "DIM MY EYES", they're going freak out!

ThreeDeviations
07-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Dim my eyes...

Jam my eyes...

Damn my eyes..

ThreeDeviations
07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Just like Undertow.... not "saturating me"... it's "sense your enemy."

Prison Sex, "close enough so I can "DROWN you" the 2nd time through that part. (1st time he says "smell")

and differences in others as well..

what gets posted as the "official lyrics" are merely a good starting point

oh, i know... but maynard posted them!

5th Eye
07-10-2006, 02:51 PM
You're right, and you're from Ohio, enough said ;)Yes, and therefore Maynard grew up just a few miles from where I live. So we probably have a closer dialect/accent sort of thing than you do.

SunBurN
07-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Yes, and therefore Maynard grew up just a few miles from where I live. So we probably have a closer dialect/accent sort of thing than you do.

Alright, I'll give you that.

So you're saying that your accent and MJK's are probably similar since you're from the same area? Don't you think with him having lived in LA and whereever else all this time his accent/Dialect has probably changed a bit?

Oh well, this conversation is pointless because its just one person's opinion vs another's and there's only one person who knows for sure, and it looks like he isn't giving up that info anytime soon.

I'm sticking with Dim my eyes x3.

5th Eye
07-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Okay fine. I'm willing to leave it at that.

matt z
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Everybody try a little experiment here. Clench your teeth, and sing the lyric as "Dim my eyes," with as much force in your voice as you can.

Then, sing the lyric as "Damn my eyes" exactly the same way.

Now, try to tell me you can even come close to telling the difference between the way the two lines end up coming out.

That's right, there isn't one. Physiologically, the two sounds are made with almost exactly the same motion.

EDIT: (Not that I'm the first one to note that there isn't any real difference there, just that I have a good reason why it's impossible to infer any real difference there.)

implandnoises
07-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Everybody try a little experiment here. Clench your teeth, and sing the lyric as "Dim my eyes," with as much force in your voice as you can.

Then, sing the lyric as "Damn my eyes" exactly the same way.

Now, try to tell me you can even come close to telling the difference between the way the two lines end up coming out.

That's right, there isn't one. Physiologically, the two sounds are made with almost exactly the same motion.

EDIT: (Not that I'm the first one to note that there isn't any real difference there, just that I have a good reason why it's impossible to infer any real difference there.)
Right, now do the same thing with JAMBI EYES!!! And then question why on earth anyone would think this is the lyric...

@ Kabir: were you being sarcastic when you first suggested this?

foursixandtwo
07-15-2006, 04:08 AM
for all of you that think it's Jambi and not damn or dim...could you explain what the hell that means?? I get damn, I get dim..but Jambi???????? What would be the meaning behind that. I can not wait until the lyrics are released.

duncang
07-20-2006, 01:37 PM
And in my eyes
Jambi eyes
Dim my eyes.

Terry21
07-20-2006, 02:26 PM
And in my eyes
Jambi eyes
Dim my eyes.

The song is called Jambi spoken as Jom-Bee.

And he sings three times the same thing.

duncang
07-22-2006, 01:01 AM
I don't think so, I hear a definite J sound on the second one, and none on the other two.

Akasha
07-22-2006, 07:12 AM
I hear "Damn my Eyes". In relation to his eyes being the main reason behind it being so hard to let go of what it is hes singing about, i personally think its material posessions and money.

Mister Moltar
07-24-2006, 02:16 AM
For those who think the lyric is "Jambi eyes"

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?jambi01g.wav=Jambi

toocooltool
07-24-2006, 06:49 AM
And in my eyes
Jambi eyes
Dim my eyes.

NO NO NO