PDA

View Full Version : X FILES! GO AWAY!!

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Okay...so I keep listening to this album, and throughout both parts of Wings for Marie (tracks 3 and 4), I KEEP hearing the X-Files theme playing in the riff...

And then get down to the song that's actually about aliens...and MJK actually mentions the X-Files, etc. etc.

What is the deal with the X-Files theme?

TheHolyGift
05-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Go listen to the X-Files theme, then this song's riff, and then realize you are wrong.

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 06:42 PM
3:47, 4:00, 4:11, 4:20, 4:36, 4:45

I may have missed one between 4:20 and 4:36, it gets muddled there with the singing.

I'm not talking about the whole X-Files theme song...just those 5 notes. They sound the same as the first 5 notes of the X-Files theme.

win
05-04-2006, 07:14 PM

I may have missed one between 4:20 and 4:36, it gets muddled there with the singing.

I'm not talking about the whole X-Files theme song...just those 5 notes. They sound the same as the first 5 notes of the X-Files theme.

i noticed the references at least. they have always had an affinity for aliens but the X-files is specificly mentioned here. I dunno I think it is more of their affinity for aliens than it is specificly the x-files though

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I think it is more of their affinity for aliens than it is specificly the x-files though
Yes, but musically... slipping the X-Files theme in would extremely fitting if you're trying to do some sort of alien-esque overtone...

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Also... I think this is probably worth mentioning.

On the X-Files, as the intro music begins to fade out and just before the actual episode beings, on the screen it says "The Truth is Out There"

unfnknblvbl
05-04-2006, 10:00 PM
you know, I really don't hear it....

kabir
05-04-2006, 11:55 PM
i think i did notice this the first few times.

Godbluff
05-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Actually I believe the number of similar notes are 5, which makes it less of a coincidence, but not necessarity intensional (Yes, i wrote it intensionally that way :) ).

innerspacegirl
05-06-2006, 01:05 AM
On the X-Files, as the intro music begins to fade out and just before the actual episode beings, on the screen it says "The Truth is Out There"

x-files = high quality television!!

it doesn't surprise me that maynard referances 'x-files' throughout this album; it has a theme of phenomenon and surreality and searching for THE TRUTH.

if i had the power to create ligitamate adjectives out of otherwise network-owned proper nouns, i would use that power to make 'x-filesy' or 'x-fillian' (as though you have abetter idea) into a bonafide descriptive word, minus the stigma of prime time TV.

use it to express confusion caused by supernatural abnormality in daily life.
weirdPLUS, but not to be used so lightly. for example:

"Dude, it was x-fillian, the kid was obviously too young to speak latin!"

....was this thread supposed to be *against* x-files referances??

Neil
05-06-2006, 05:13 AM
You think this song is like the x-files theme because you have very can only compare what you hear with the tiny number of melodies you know. The more songs you listen to, the more accurately you can describe what a song is 'like'. I think this two parter is vey floydian... echoes, shine on, high hopes,... 'esque'.

Interestingly I thought Vicarious was a Schism rip-off for the first 10 listens because it was the only thing that i could reference it with in my mind. But after many many more listens i came to understand its highly original nuances.

Ths x-files sound which (i think) you refer to is actually a very basic basic pattern. Its quite an obvious sort of thing for a musican to 'create' without plagiarism as such (like inventing the wheel).

But the Tool lads are huge x-files fans so who knows.

highrowglifix
05-06-2006, 06:54 PM
I hear them. I think it's a little joke on Adam Jones' part.
There's no mistaking that sequence of notes.
The band might be joking around with "sampling," like in electronic music.

Also, I might be tripping, I can't really tell any more these days, but I swear I heard the word 'files,' at least, mentioned in the roaring at the beginning of Rosetta Stoned, but I'll have to listen a few more times before I can back this one up.

Don't let these music afficionados get you down xPOGOx, I heard the echoes even before I read this post, and anyway, they're just sad because they haven't figured out nothing's original :)

ǻ

Ganjalf
05-06-2006, 08:27 PM
x-files theme song creeps me the fuck out.

Seethus
05-06-2006, 08:59 PM

LOL I hear it at those points, but only because I have the xfiles theme in my head purposely trying to hear it. I in no way will hear it again, unless I try to look for it.
= coincidental similarity.

crakdhead
05-07-2006, 12:13 AM
We all know aliens are our there, so it would make sense to have Tool talking about seeing aliens out in the desert. That song cracks me up.

xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 12:25 AM
I think it's a little joke on Adam Jones' part.
I think it's probably intentional and meant as a joke too.

Also, I might be tripping, I can't really tell any more these days, but I swear I heard the word 'files,' at least, mentioned in the roaring at the beginning of Rosetta Stoned, but I'll have to listen a few more times before I can back this one up.
Actually, they say "X-files" in Rosetta Stoned.

henri_ds
05-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Why do people keep hearing X files during every fucking arpeggio ?

xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Why do people keep hearing X files during every fucking arpeggio ?
I don't hear it during every arpeggio. I hear it in this and in Pt 1.

Also, I hear the WORD "X-files" in Rosetta Stoned.

Jimmeny
05-07-2006, 01:11 PM
You think this song is like the x-files theme because you have very can only compare what you hear with the tiny number of melodies you know. The more songs you listen to, the more accurately you can describe what a song is 'like'. I think this two parter is vey floydian... echoes, shine on, high hopes,... 'esque'.

Interestingly I thought Vicarious was a Schism rip-off for the first 10 listens because it was the only thing that i could reference it with in my mind. But after many many more listens i came to understand its highly original nuances.

Ths x-files sound which (i think) you refer to is actually a very basic basic pattern. Its quite an obvious sort of thing for a musican to 'create' without plagiarism as such (like inventing the wheel).

lol
what alot of bollocks. The ear doesn't hear approximations of other melodies. It hears exact frequency, and the sequence of frequencies here matches the x-files theme exactly.

xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 01:27 PM

Hmm, just now noticed this post. Thought I'd reply with this: Wrong.

Allow me to eleborate.

You're talking about the song as a whole. I'm talking about one little 5-note arpeggio, which sounds exactly like the first little 5-note arpeggio from the X-files.

HateSolstice
05-07-2006, 02:40 PM
If it makes you feel better, I don't know what an arpeggio or apreggio is. I love music and all, but I'm unfortunately not educated enough in the many terminologies it holds.

xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 02:41 PM
If it makes you feel better, I don't know what an arpeggio or apreggio is. I love music and all, but I'm unfortunately not educated enough in the many terminologies it holds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arpeggio

Matt8
05-07-2006, 03:01 PM
i never noticed till now. it resembles it but it dosent jump out at me.

something_Dark
05-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Go listen to the X-Files theme, then this song's riff, and then realize you are wrong.

VERY!! WRONG INDEED!!

davelisowski
05-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Adam could be quoting those five notes. Sorry, but I don't have any knowledge of the X-Files. I can only try and remember the song so basically I have no reference point. I do recall learning in music theory that quotes are used in music just as they would in essays, or speech, etc.

kaspguy
05-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I think you're COMPLETELY wrong, I just watched x-files tonight, and listened to your track refrences right now, and the notes ***might*** be there, but certrainly not in any x-files order. The pattern of the riff he's playing could remind you of it, but there is definatly no x-files music in wings/10000 days

ezekiel785
05-14-2006, 07:35 AM
I must agree, the X-Files were the first thing that came to my mind as well when listening to it...
But some friend of my who's able to play "Lateralus" on his guitar mentioned these "5 notes" are the same as those repeated over an over in the beginning of Lateralus.
Furthermore I can remember having read something by Maynard where he says many things from their old albums are use in 10.000 Days as well...

black_rose
05-14-2006, 08:09 AM
It is exactly the same as the x - files but in a different key, in the wings songs it goes E, D, E, B and in the x - files it goes B. A. B, D its the exact same progression but in a different key.

On the guitar the notes that resemble the x files are played 9, 7, 9, 12, 9 on the D string and the x files is the exact same frets just on the A string instead

black_rose
05-14-2006, 08:10 AM
I must agree, the X-Files were the first thing that came to my mind as well when listening to it...
But some friend of my who's able to play "Lateralus" on his guitar mentioned these "5 notes" are the same as those repeated over an over in the beginning of Lateralus.
Furthermore I can remember having read something by Maynard where he says many things from their old albums are use in 10.000 Days as well...

It is the same progression as in lateralus but yet again a different key lol

incircles
05-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Obviously, the band is insinuating that Maynard's mom's side of the family is from outer space, and that he's a halfbreed.... which explains a lot.