PDA

View Full Version : My thought on the kangaroo

passenger#44213
05-04-2006, 05:01 PM
hey,

I this just came to me sometime after i read here that someone said they heard a background voice in one of the songs on 10000 days say "you'll pay for what you did in Crunulla" (BTW if someone can hear that can they tell me which song and where it is)

Maybe the like "Kangroo done hung the guilty with the innocent" has to do with Crunulla.

Kangaroo being a sort of dig at Australians (like skippy etc) and the fact that all those guys were beating on all "wog" looking people wheather they had done something to offend them or not..."hung the guilty with the innocent"

holdyourlight
05-04-2006, 05:03 PM
hey,

I this just came to me sometime after i read here that someone said they heard a background voice in one of the songs on 10000 days say "you'll pay for what you did in Crunulla" (BTW if someone can hear that can they tell me which song and where it is)

Maybe the like "Kangroo done hung the guilty with the innocent" has to do with Crunulla.

Kangaroo being a sort of dig at Australians (like skippy etc) and the fact that all those guys were beating on all "wog" looking people wheather they had done something to offend them or not..."hung the guilty with the innocent"

google "kangaroo court"

rimb
05-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Cronulla.

Idiot.

Murdz.
05-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Cronulla.

Idiot.

As above.

And I doubt Tool would put such a thing in their song, or even know about it, let alone care.

10000 days in the fire
05-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Its true i dont think tool would give a rats arse about those riots, lrt alone put it in any song. Even though there is mention of Aboriginals and Aussie acents throughout a few songs.

mad017
05-04-2006, 11:37 PM
agreed tool would not put this in based on the riots... i would say that this would ahve been written well before the riots.. silly silly... although a well thought theory

eslupminoyler
05-05-2006, 05:15 AM
agreed tool would not put this in based on the riots... i would say that this would ahve been written well before the riots.. silly silly... although a well thought theory

Yeah, believe it or not too members and their associates are caring people.
THey'd care, but who knows if they are aware of such a secluded trajedy.

eslupminoyler
05-05-2006, 05:15 AM
Yeah, believe it or not too members and their associates are caring people.
THey'd care, but who knows if they are aware of such a secluded trajedy.

tool

xskhaos
05-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Kangaroo Jury.....look it up on wikipedia.org

OpenEyes25
05-05-2006, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the tip. I was coming on here to ask about the possible symbolism of a kangaroo or any info that could lead me in the right direction, so thanks.

win
05-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. I was coming on here to ask about the possible symbolism of a kangaroo or any info that could lead me in the right direction, so thanks.

i haven't seen any really cogent arguemetns for this yet, but I think this song is about hte current administration in American government. Part of this is just the feel I get form understanding some of the insults MJK is throwing about in the song. One way or another all tha kangaroo thing means is that someone has not been properly held accountable. I am not sure how this ties in with everyting else- maybe Bush getting off on blaming the head of the CIA. one way or anotehr that is all teh term means.

BTW I started another thread and haven't got any thoughts on it yet, but I read in an interview somewhere that the song title is a reference to the saying 'the pot callign the kettle black' basicly meanging someone being a hypocrite. if anyone has ideas on how this is being applied in the song please inform me

smeefsmeef
05-06-2006, 09:03 AM
This song's about the sexual relationship between "Kanga" and her son, "Roo," from the hit cartoon, "Winnie-the-Poo."

CaliKevin
05-08-2006, 03:51 AM
I did... Nothing.

I think you meant Kangroo Trial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_trial).

plastik
05-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Decent read:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_236.html

be_patient
05-08-2006, 06:31 PM
As above.

And I doubt Tool would put such a thing in their song, or even know about it, let alone care.

then again.... the song is called the pot... australia is sometimes called a melting pot because of the mixture of nationalities. The cronulla incident did involve the beating of many innocent victims due to racial intolerance. I mean, i highly doubt it's the entire topic for the song, but it might play a part

Muladhara
05-09-2006, 05:33 AM
I don't think this works because this song is about Maynard replying to someone who has accused him of doing something they themselves have done.

Nobody's accusing Maynard of beating up people in Crunulla.

?Cogito Ergo Sum?
05-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Kangaroo court plain and simple. A trial being nothing but a charade, outcome already known.

CaliKevin
05-09-2006, 11:30 AM
then again.... the song is called the pot... australia is sometimes called a melting pot because of the mixture of nationalities. The cronulla incident did involve the beating of many innocent victims due to racial intolerance. I mean, i highly doubt it's the entire topic for the song, but it might play a part
Ahh, the wonders of a Tool song. We all think they can have so many meanings and topics lying within them.

beligerentfokker
05-09-2006, 01:45 PM
link posted below... maybe this shed's some light on the meaning.. hmmm

http://www.loompanics.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/Articles/PotActivistRailroaded.html?E+scstore

Pot Activist Railroaded By Kangaroo Court

We all know, of course, that juries are supposed to be randomly selected, not stacked with those who will agree in advance to convict.

Yet in January 2003, in San Francisco, California, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer was being anything but “random” as he carefully interviewed and sorted through 80 prospective jurors before settling on 12 – mostly out-of-towners – who appeared most likely to bring the conviction he sought against Oakland's self-styled “pot guru,” 58-year-old Ed Rosenthal.

After a two-week trial, that jury unanimously convicted Rosenthal, a world-renowned marijuana advocate, after finding as a matter of fact that he'd been growing more than 100 pot plants, conspired to cultivate marijuana, and maintained an Oakland warehouse for a growing operation. “He was painted as a major drug manufacturer,” The AP reports, “and put on little defense.”

And why did Rosenthal and his attorneys present so little defense? Because “Throughout the trial in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, (Judge) Breyer had refused all efforts by the defense to disclose to the jury that Rosenthal was growing marijuana as an 'officer' for the City of Oakland's medical marijuana program, authorized under California's Proposition 215, passed by the voters in 1996,” points out syndicated columnist Alexander Cockburn.

“Throughout the two-week trial, Rosenthal's defense team had repeatedly tried to call witnesses to testify that Rosenthal was growing medical marijuana ...acting as an agent of the City of Oakland's medical marijuana program,” confirms AP legal affairs writer David Kravets. “The judge denied those requests. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with the judge twice during mid-trial appeals.”

In other words – and as usual these days – the federal courts worked to conceal as much of the truth of the case as they saw fit, to make sure the jury made only a finding of fact, without being given any chance to decide whether the federal law was being appropriately applied in Rosenthal's case.

“Within hours of finding ...Rosenthal guilty on three felony counts of conspiracy and marijuana cultivation,” columnist Cockburn relates, “a sobbing juror was overheard saying she and others jurors had been terrified that U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer would throw them in prison if they had found Rosenthal innocent, although she herself had had a strong disposition to do so.”

mcb264
05-10-2006, 09:38 AM
When I first heard this song, it struck me as being about the government.... but thats just too simple. TOOL is deeper than that.... take a song like Eulogy, I think its about 3 different people all at once with three separate meanings and tones (Henry Rollins, Jesus Christ, Bill Hicks).

The things that you found on the internet concerning Australia and pot are interesting, but I dont think the name "The Pot" is entirely a reference to marijauna, more a reference to the pot calling the kettle black. That being said, I don't know much about MJK's personal life or whether she personally insulted him or not, but I think this song is about Angelina Jolie.

Heres a breakdown of the lyrics:

Who are you to wave your finger?
You must have been out your head
Eyehole deep in muddy waters
You practically raised the dead
-Apparently she personally insulted him, and this references her work in 3rd world contries and sarcastically fluants how successful she was-

Rob the grave to snow the cradle
Then burn the evidence down
Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around
-References her marriage to billy bob thorton and how she used her public good deeds to destroy the shadows of her past. The part about stones is pretty self-explanatory-

You must have been high
-High on drugs; High on her horse-

Foot in mouth and head up ass
So what ya talkin' 'bout?
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'til you pull it out, boy
-Self explanatory, except my theory only works if the "boy" isnt directed at her but instead a release of frustration at the beginning of the next line instead of the end of this one-

You must have been so high

Steal, borrow,
[reefer save your / reaper, savior] shady inference
Kangaroo done hung the juror with the innocent
-Reference to her innocent unborn child being caught in the middle-

Now
[you weep in / you're weeping] shades of chosen indigo
Got lemon juice up in your eye
When you pissed all over my black kettle
You must have been high!
-Referencing her vanity, then her ingenuousness, then her hypocracy-

So full of it
Eyeballs deep in muddy waters
Fuckin' hypocrite

The rest is just repetition with minor lyrical changes with similar meanings, so you get the point. I could be dead on or so off Maynard himself would laugh in my face. Hell, We could all be right, seeing as he's a lyrical mastermind that can weave multiple meanings into the same line..... plus they've had how long to make this album?

This is just my personal take on it, feel free to comment.... I just question some of the other guesses because they dont make sense when you take into account the first two stanzas.

Elepherious
05-10-2006, 11:41 AM
When I first heard this song, it struck me as being about the government.... but thats just too simple. TOOL is deeper than that.... take a song like Eulogy, I think its about 3 different people all at once with three separate meanings and tones (Henry Rollins, Jesus Christ, Bill Hicks).

The things that you found on the internet concerning Australia and pot are interesting, but I dont think the name "The Pot" is entirely a reference to marijauna, more a reference to the pot calling the kettle black. That being said, I don't know much about MJK's personal life or whether she personally insulted him or not, but I think this song is about Angelina Jolie.

Heres a breakdown of the lyrics:

You must have been out your head
Eyehole deep in muddy waters
You practically raised the dead
-Apparently she personally insulted him, and this references her work in 3rd world contries and sarcastically fluants how successful she was-

Rob the grave to snow the cradle
Then burn the evidence down
Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around
-References her marriage to billy bob thorton and how she used her public good deeds to destroy the shadows of her past. The part about stones is pretty self-explanatory-

You must have been high
-High on drugs; High on her horse-

Foot in mouth and head up ass
So what ya talkin' 'bout?
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'til you pull it out, boy
-Self explanatory, except my theory only works if the "boy" isnt directed at her but instead a release of frustration at the beginning of the next line instead of the end of this one-

You must have been so high

Steal, borrow,
[reefer save your / reaper, savior] shady inference
Kangaroo done hung the juror with the innocent
-Reference to her innocent unborn child being caught in the middle-

Now
[you weep in / you're weeping] shades of chosen indigo
Got lemon juice up in your eye
When you pissed all over my black kettle
You must have been high!
-Referencing her vanity, then her ingenuousness, then her hypocracy-

So full of it
Eyeballs deep in muddy waters
Fuckin' hypocrite

The rest is just repetition with minor lyrical changes with similar meanings, so you get the point. I could be dead on or so off Maynard himself would laugh in my face. Hell, We could all be right, seeing as he's a lyrical mastermind that can weave multiple meanings into the same line..... plus they've had how long to make this album?

This is just my personal take on it, feel free to comment.... I just question some of the other guesses because they dont make sense when you take into account the first two stanzas.

are you high?

no really have we ever known any of maynards songs to pertain to one person? (in general not considering wings for marie) arnt the rest of them, said and made in such a broad fasion that they could pertain to any one? (and what would maynard care if angelina jolie said something about him? courtney love called him a media whore (thats funnie) once but ive not heard any songs about her.... or maybey this is about her!

Elepherious
05-10-2006, 11:44 AM
link posted below... maybe this shed's some light on the meaning.. hmmm

http://www.loompanics.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/Articles/PotActivistRailroaded.html?E+scstore

Pot Activist Railroaded By Kangaroo Court

very good.

mdurrant
05-12-2006, 03:07 PM
OK OK OK OK I think I have this sorted out.

The first repetition of the line says:
"Kinged the rude and hung the jury with the innocent"

The second repetition says:
"Cane the rude and hung the guilty with the innocent"

The third repetition says:
"Kangaroo be stoned he'd still say ask the government."

Just my 2 cents... half of which, of course, is a penny for your thoughts.