PDA

View Full Version : On the album

win
05-04-2006, 04:18 PM
There isn't really a forum section for general talk about the CD. So I figured this would be the best place to write...

I love Tool. Their earlier stuff (which I will say kind of ends in Aenima) is amazing- thoughtful and unique is great. But really starting with lateralus a whole new level is started. A much more fluid, spiritual and profound (of course this is all in my opinion) type of music is started in lateralus. This is the part of Tool that really evokes in me a purely emotional and beautiful reaction that is so primal and yet so radically complex that I feel that its pull is undeniable to anyone who gives it a few listens through. When I first listened to the album I thought to my self that this was some slight regression- a halfway between lateralus and Aenima. Over five years of taking Lateralus for granted I had forgotten the patience and astute ear that was necessary the first several times through lateralus to appreciate it. In the last few days I have poured through it, reading more on these forums than writing- learning and understanding. The time my good friend and I really started to originally appreciate their work apart from the other artists we listened to (at that time I lsitened to more metal, which I really don't anymore except for this band if you consider it metal) was when we started reading existentialism. The absolute authenticity of sincerity and emotion of all of the music stuck me in a way that I am sure it has many of ya'll. It is songs like reflection, disposition, and triad that really evoke this in me more so that songs like opiate, 46 and 2, and hooker with a penis (although I obviously still love them). As I have gone through every song a number of times and read on this album has brought something out that I never thought it could: a true resurgence of the type of catharsis and empathy that art was meant for. It is at moments like "its time now, my time now, give me my- give me my wings!" and "I never lived a lie. I never took a life" as it was with "as I pull my head out, I am with one doubt" that the finality and infinite significance of their art grabs a hold of me in a way that articulation does no justice.

We have poured from all over the world to try to share the spark of human emotion with each other on these boards. This CD is beautiful in every way possible and I am just happy that I can share this moment with others. With that said, I just wanted to open a thread for people to share their moments with others. Please post your sincere feelings and these moments. If nothing else, I would love to understand what others have come to feel from it and I will read all of your responses with the greatest sincerity, sensitivity and understanding.