PDA

View Full Version : This generation's "Stairway"?

beligerentfokker
05-04-2006, 02:23 PM
It isn't often that a song of this caliber comes along. Its epic scale rivals that of anything put out by Zeppelin, with as much emotion as can be evoked from any of Floyd's work. Considering the lack of epic honesty in most of today's music, could 10,000 Days be the "Stairway to Heaven" of this generation?

bellamadia
05-04-2006, 02:40 PM
It isn't often that a song of this caliber comes along. Its epic scale rivals that of anything put out by Zeppelin, with as much emotion as can be evoked from any of Floyd's work. Considering the lack of epic honesty in most of today's music, could 10,000 Days be the "Stairway to Heaven" of this generation?

You will get a lot of shot for this I'm sure, but I definitely see your point. I feel Led Zepplin is, and always will be, more of a "popular" band in that it appeals to a bigger variety of people. Therefore, I'm not sure if this song could ever gain that same recognition. I do, however, think it is as beautiful and well done!

beligerentfokker
05-04-2006, 03:29 PM
True, Zeppelin did have more popularity, but they were also in a completely different era. Zep didn't always appeal to the bigger variety of people. I can still remember when it was considered satanic to listen to music like this, now all those satanic bands are in regular rotation on classic rock radio. Zeppelin, Sabbath, AC/DC. The only comparisons I make between the two is in the level of songwriting, not in how the bands are viewed during their particular eras, by the critics or the public. Tool could be as popular if they stayed at the forefront, putting out albums every year or two, etc.
I probably wouldn't be able to appreciate a band like Tool if it weren't for growing up with Led Zeppelin. Tool is to me what Zeppelin was/is to my dad. I actually heard Floyd the first time I listened to this song. To me, Tool is what happens when you mix arty Floyd with heavy Zeppelin. If November Rain can be made radio friendly, largely due to it's glossy high-budget video, then so can 10,000 Days with the same treatment. If that happens, 20 years from now we'll be hearing Days with Stairway, Kashmir, Won't Get Fooled Again, Time, Day in the Life, etc in the top 10 of greatest rock songs on classic rock radio. If not, well, they are deserving of being mentioned in the same catergory anyway..

bellamadia
05-04-2006, 04:23 PM
True, Zeppelin did have more popularity, but they were also in a completely different era. Zep didn't always appeal to the bigger variety of people. I can still remember when it was considered satanic to listen to music like this, now all those satanic bands are in regular rotation on classic rock radio. Zeppelin, Sabbath, AC/DC. The only comparisons I make between the two is in the level of songwriting, not in how the bands are viewed during their particular eras, by the critics or the public. Tool could be as popular if they stayed at the forefront, putting out albums every year or two, etc.
I probably wouldn't be able to appreciate a band like Tool if it weren't for growing up with Led Zeppelin. Tool is to me what Zeppelin was/is to my dad. I actually heard Floyd the first time I listened to this song. To me, Tool is what happens when you mix arty Floyd with heavy Zeppelin. If November Rain can be made radio friendly, largely due to it's glossy high-budget video, then so can 10,000 Days with the same treatment. If that happens, 20 years from now we'll be hearing Days with Stairway, Kashmir, Won't Get Fooled Again, Time, Day in the Life, etc in the top 10 of greatest rock songs on classic rock radio. If not, well, they are deserving of being mentioned in the same catergory anyway..

I agree with that, well thought out, nicely said.

lovelylemonfactory
05-05-2006, 06:22 AM
This song is better than Stairway, its 17 minutes long and feels like about 2 when you listen to it. Thats the sign of a great epic song when you dont notice its half a day long.

Huff
05-05-2006, 06:28 AM
This song is better than Stairway, its 17 minutes long and feels like about 2 when you listen to it. Thats the sign of a great epic song when you dont notice its half a day long.

I would put Tool right up there w/ Floyd and Zeppelin. That's really saying something. However I don't think Tool will ever gain anywhere near the popular acceptance that Zep of Floyd have.....and to be honest I don't want them to. It would sort of wreck it for me in a weird way.

But man the part at 8:20 where Adam rips into it.....holy crap. And Danny's drums at 9:20.......that is totally recockulous.

Steventh
05-05-2006, 06:49 AM

I definitely agree.

Nietzsche's Dead
05-05-2006, 09:08 AM

get the fuck out of town.

ArizonaBay
05-05-2006, 09:33 AM
The song is a masterpiece, but i think the subject is of a far too personal nature for it to have the mass appeal to get it to the stairway standard of classic. Which is a pity because its a better song (but i never thought stairway was such a big deal anyhow).

Sol Invictus
05-05-2006, 01:40 PM
This agression will not stand, man.

TurdEye13
05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
radio play morphed "Stairway to Heaven" into what its become.

Blanket_509
05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't really like Stairway too much. No Quarter, Over The Hills And Far Away, and The Song Remains The Same are better songs.

WitlessLiar
05-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Whereas StH is a GREAT song, I don't think it can compete with 10,000 days personally.

People say this song has no climax, but I think the whole song's a climax. For anyone who's lost someone and has gotten a little background info on this song (just some quick analysis and some notes about his mom), this song is AMAZING.

Period.

ryzur
05-05-2006, 09:24 PM
As someone who has personally completely analyzed (both musically and lyrically) both songs, I can see some similarities, but don't think they have the same kind of impact, or is even the same type of song. Musically both songs do follow a similar structure, with Stairway having a clear climatic event. I think that 10000 days was intended to be continually building, but a couple of things hold it back from doing this seamlessly (in my opinion the solo/basic/recycled guitar parts that jump to the forefront), and ultimately detract from acheiving a full climax. Lyrically they are both very different, with Stairway being much more abstract and 10k days being personal and direct. Had Tool decided to take a more othodox (for them) method to writing the lyrics, this probably wouldn't have been the case. I find Led Zeppelins lyrics alot of the time were more story telling, whereas Tool's have been descriptive and almost kaleidiscopic (sp?). I personally think Stairway is more powerful, but for different reasons, I find the music draws me in much more, because of its structure, and that is the focus, with the lyrics serving as more of a thoughtpiece or placeholder to help give a level of personal meaning for the people who listen (which also I believe to be a more powerful). 10000 days is powerful to me mostly only due to the fact of the subject matter of the lyrics. I believe in what Maynard is singing and want to feel sympathy or even empathy for/with him. However, the music to me in that song somewhat detracts from that because of the aforementioned musical choices that were made that somewhat made the song work against itself to me. I don't think its quite worthy of the title "Stairway to Heaven of this generation", and I doubt countless guitarists will be pissing off record store clerks trying to figure out the basic riff play. If someone who didnt know how to play it very well played it for me, I could probably think of a dozen things it could be, because of its basic nature. Also the riff isn't as timeless (if there is even a sure riff in the song that perpetuates as the main theme, I don't see one at this point). These are my reasons. Tear them apart if you wish.

ryzur
05-05-2006, 10:10 PM
You will get a lot of shot for this I'm sure, but I definitely see your point. I feel Led Zepplin is, and always will be, more of a "popular" band in that it appeals to a bigger variety of people. Therefore, I'm not sure if this song could ever gain that same recognition. I do, however, think it is as beautiful and well done!

I don't think they'll get much "shot" for this, this is a tool forum, not a led zeppelin one after all!

Max T.
05-05-2006, 10:18 PM

I do see your point, however I don't think these two rival even slightly. Instead, Tool gives a no-contest in comparison with Zeppelin in terms of epic composing. Many of Tool songs can actually pass for an epic, and with the new album, this further verifies that point. Personally, I don't consider Stairway to be much of an epic at all. There are few Zep songs that could pass for an epic, in the actual sense of the word. Again, Zep is probably the most popular hard rock band, especially in today's world (when a newcomer to rock music discovers Led Zeppelin, they believe to have reached a particular omniscience). Due to Tool's non-attention-seeking outlook, this would be irrelevant to this comparison with Zep. 10,000 days along with the first part is approx. 17 minutes, which shows that this a true epic just by acknowleding the track length. ; )

Max T.
05-05-2006, 10:21 PM
ryzur--good post.

lovelylemonfactory
05-06-2006, 06:39 AM
The song is a masterpiece, but i think the subject is of a far too personal nature for it to have the mass appeal to get it to the stairway standard of classic. Which is a pity because its a better song (but i never thought stairway was such a big deal anyhow).

Thats probably true but who cares if it aint as big as Stairway, and the personal lyrics is another reason its better than Stairway, cos Stairway aint bout shit its random babble, even if it is random babble that sound really cool.

1218JAKOB
05-06-2006, 07:28 AM
As someone who has personally completely analyzed (both musically and lyrically) both songs, I can see some similarities, but don't think they have the same kind of impact, or is even the same type of song. Musically both songs do follow a similar structure, with Stairway having a clear climatic event. I think that 10000 days was intended to be continually building, but a couple of things hold it back from doing this seamlessly (in my opinion the solo/basic/recycled guitar parts that jump to the forefront), and ultimately detract from acheiving a full climax. Lyrically they are both very different, with Stairway being much more abstract and 10k days being personal and direct. Had Tool decided to take a more othodox (for them) method to writing the lyrics, this probably wouldn't have been the case. I find Led Zeppelins lyrics alot of the time were more story telling, whereas Tool's have been descriptive and almost kaleidiscopic (sp?). I personally think Stairway is more powerful, but for different reasons, I find the music draws me in much more, because of its structure, and that is the focus, with the lyrics serving as more of a thoughtpiece or placeholder to help give a level of personal meaning for the people who listen (which also I believe to be a more powerful). 10000 days is powerful to me mostly only due to the fact of the subject matter of the lyrics. I believe in what Maynard is singing and want to feel sympathy or even empathy for/with him. However, the music to me in that song somewhat detracts from that because of the aforementioned musical choices that were made that somewhat made the song work against itself to me. I don't think its quite worthy of the title "Stairway to Heaven of this generation", and I doubt countless guitarists will be pissing off record store clerks trying to figure out the basic riff play. If someone who didnt know how to play it very well played it for me, I could probably think of a dozen things it could be, because of its basic nature. Also the riff isn't as timeless (if there is even a sure riff in the song that perpetuates as the main theme, I don't see one at this point). These are my reasons. Tear them apart if you wish.

I disagree with your comment on the lack of a clear signature riff. Where I feel that the impact of the song (emotional/climactic) is on par with Stairway to Heaven this song is much more Floydian than Zepplinish. If the song had that riff to stick into your head it would detract from the emotion of the song. And as for recycled guitar part (because in alot of the forums this is driving me crazy) Look at most classic recordings - Including Stairway - they all recycle the riff/guitar parts just adding different textures via effects to keep the song familiar to the listener.
I really compare this song with Echoes or even more with the thumping bass riff Shine on you Crazy Diamond part 2. I definately think that 10,000 Days shows that the boys hold Pink Floyd's recordings in high regard. Also as a side note in a recent interview Maynard says that this record is finally moving them closer to the type of music they want to make. As I posted in other forums I feel that 10,000 Days is Tool's Meddle. A slightly disjointed effort with an epic track and some great parts but as a whole a transition to the next plataue.
For those who bash this album I have to say just wait....remember that Floyd followed Meddle with Dark Side of the Moon. It makes me wonder what will follow 10,000 Days.....

martyr_02
05-06-2006, 07:29 AM
stairway is an overatted song. I think that 10,000 days is better that stairway just for that simple fact. Most people, who haven't heard much zep, would probably think of stairway if you mention the band. For tool i think that song is schism. So far it is the most "popular" song they have. what i mean is that someone who doesn't listen to them but has heard of them, would probably mention this song first. Case in point, i was talking to a coworker about bands the other day, i mentioned tool and he said "Oh yeah there pretty good, i bet schism would rock live." I agreed but then told him that there are so many other songs of theirs that would rock even harder.

Emericana
05-06-2006, 07:56 AM
see unlike most of you guys, for me, i love stairway, whilst i hate this song... to each their own i guess. i just dont get it with this track and honestly, to be a disrespecting bastard i am pissed maynard devoted a 15min track to the topics discussed in this song

dice5199
05-06-2006, 08:41 AM
It seems like alot of people think this song doesn't climax. I have to disagree. At the peak, this song is intense and quite a departure from where the song begins. It may seem different because there is a long, gradual build up. There isn't that sudden and dramatic escalation in sound that many people have been accustomed to hearing.

insaner
05-06-2006, 10:12 AM

while zeppelin has a wide fan base now, when they were at their hieght they were very similar to tool now. they had a rabid fan base, but were considerd pretentious kooks by the general public. it took 20 years for zeppelin to be as widely [popular as they are now. just like tool, they never had a number one single, but sold millions of records.

littlejason
05-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Wow, i'm surprised nobody has mentioned how amazing No Quarter was when Tool re-did it.

This song COULD become something of that caliber, but it's going to take a few years for it to set in or make an impact. I DO think this is going to be the record that's looked back on as one of their if not THE best record they ever did, by popular opinion anyways. I don't think it is, i think it's definately up there, and there'll be debate on it by our kids and our kids' kids. Just like with Zeppelin. There's a lot comign for this band that we can't even begin to appreciate because the time hasn't been given for it to set in. Give it 20-30 years and you'll see Tool shirts on every high school kid in the country. And this song will be one of their favorites.

Iconoclast
05-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Reflection seems more comparable to Stairway than 10,000 Days, IMO.

10,000 days is an incredible song, one of Tool's best, but comparing epics is kind of difficult. The other problem that I have with comparing the two is that 10,000 Days is a personal tribute while Stairway is a song that gained a lot of acclaim for being complex and abstract, something that 10,000 Days lacks.

In terms of musical structure, build up, complexity, and greatness I think Reflection is more comparable to Stairway, and IMO is the best Tool song ever. Being that Tool isn't Zeppelin, the song would never gain the same public approval as Stairway, or attention, but that song is of the same calliber.

Had Zeppelin released Reflection, it would be widely accepted as Zeppelin's greatest creation.

4degrees_under_fire
05-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Hmmm... Meddle is another Floyd album I need to here... One of these days I'm going to get a bunch more of their albums, but for now, I need to work on getting the originals of the rest of the Tool albums. Back to topic...

For as much as I enjoy both 10000 Days and StH, I do have to agree with several of you. If comparing epics isn't hard enough, comparing epics built off of two different sounds is another matter altogether, and a much more difficult way to compare. Reflection and StH probably are more of a comparable set of epics than the two here and, if not Reflection, Ænima might be another possibility. I'll need to listen to both tracks a little closer to see which one sound- to me at least- a bit more abstract, but it's worth a shot, eh?

In any case, 10k Days is most certainly a very personal song and would be a very difficult song to compare to another.

On a slightly more random note, I do believe it's about time to remove this damned ice pack from my wrist... My hand is starting to go numb.

ArizonaBay
05-06-2006, 04:59 PM
There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan. :)

bellamadia
05-09-2006, 06:42 AM
while zeppelin has a wide fan base now, when they were at their hieght they were very similar to tool now. they had a rabid fan base, but were considerd pretentious kooks by the general public. it took 20 years for zeppelin to be as widely [popular as they are now. just like tool, they never had a number one single, but sold millions of records.

Good point!

bellamadia
05-09-2006, 06:44 AM
I don't think they'll get much "shot" for this, this is a tool forum, not a led zeppelin one after all!

Ok smartass, a typo, I'm sure that has NEVER happened to you. Yes, you are correct, however there are a lof of people on here that seem to pissed about everything. I could see someone on here getting pissed for comparing this to Led Zepplin for many reasons. People here seem like they want to fight about everything.

beligerentfokker
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Wow, i'm surprised nobody has mentioned how amazing No Quarter was when Tool re-did it.

I liked it, but I think they could have done a much better job, personally.

Personally, I don't consider Stairway to be much of an epic at all. .....Due to Tool's non-attention-seeking outlook, this would be irrelevant to this comparison with Zep. 10,000 days along with the first part is approx. 17 minutes, which shows that this a true epic just by acknowleding the track length. ; )

back in 1971, an 8-minute song was epic, and Stairway played like a 3-act play.

Lyrically they are both very different, with Stairway being much more abstract and 10k days being personal and direct. ....I don't think its quite worthy of the title "Stairway to Heaven of this generation", and I doubt countless guitarists will be pissing off record store clerks trying to figure out the basic riff play.

Lyrical content wasn't really the point of my question, but I do agree about the store clerks comment... Stairway will always be that song. Thankfully, it's only the store clerks that get pissed off, when you whip it out for your friends, they always are impressed.

While this subject was surely designed to evoke debate, and you all (with the exception of one) make good points as to why you agree or disagree, what I was really trying to get at, is whether or not it's conceivable that in 20 years, will this song be played alongside Stairway, Time, Won't Get Fooled, Kashmir (all long by radio standards, and none seemingly as personal as Days, but songs that are easily relatable on a mass level, with the exception of Kasmir) as one of the greatest of all time. It seems the songs aforementioned dominate the top 10 anytime I've ever heard a countdown, and Stairway 9 times out of 10 is credited as the greatest rock classic of all time. It's hard to say what the impact of this album will be, just have to wait and see. Lateralus in some circles is considered their "breakout" album. That seems to go along with what someone else said about Schism being the song the casual listener will think of when they hear about Tool. I believe that directly relates with the length of time between releases. To me, Undertow was their breakout album.. Another good point was that about how Meddle seemed to be the turning point in Pink Floyd's career, where their identity was finally discovered, and subsequently followed up with Dark Side, from whence came Time. Let's not forget that Wish You Were Here and The Wall followed, so if Days is Tool's Meddle, then we've only just begun.

Anyway.. I wasn't even alive when Stairway came out, but with all the hubbub over the demise of the Beatles and the social unrest at that time.. it's hard to conceive that Stairway was considered the greatest song of all time when it was released... that is something that over the years it has become to be, and still remains.

Washburn
05-09-2006, 04:37 PM
I do like "stairway", but it will never go into my head the way 10k days does...damn, i can't stop hearing it in my head...even at work (today they paged me overhead, and I was "listening" to the part about "cold fluorescence" so intently in my head, I didn't even hear the overhead page (I work as a pharmacy tech in a hospital, and every time I see the typical "hospital" lighting in hallways, I can't stop thinking about this song)
....now, "stairway" can never do THAT to me...it's a great song musically, but it never "grips" me the way 10k days does.

Talking about P/Floyd, to me, this song is almost as good as "Comfortably Numb" by P/Floyd, which is one of my favorite songs EVER. I enjoy listening to this song as much as I enjoy listening to the live version of "C/Numb" from the album "delicate sound of thunder"; that's THE perfect live performance by P/Floyd (or by almost any band) to me.

Elepherious
05-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Ok smartass, a typo, I'm sure that has NEVER happened to you. Yes, you are correct, however there are a lof of people on here that seem to pissed about everything. I could see someone on here getting pissed for comparing this to Led Zepplin for many reasons. People here seem like they want to fight about everything.

thats what people who stalk around forums do, if there not between 12-16, with pimple marked faces, and sassy attitudes because of thiere parents 'dictatorship' then there pissant annoying 20-25 year old children, with nothing better to do then pick at things like typo's and point out what makes them better/stronger/smarter then the rest of us, sociable, and well formed folk,

thats just what we have to deal with.

sorry....

bellamadia
05-10-2006, 05:31 AM
thats what people who stalk around forums do, if there not between 12-16, with pimple marked faces, and sassy attitudes because of thiere parents 'dictatorship' then there pissant annoying 20-25 year old children, with nothing better to do then pick at things like typo's and point out what makes them better/stronger/smarter then the rest of us, sociable, and well formed folk,

thats just what we have to deal with.

sorry....

Good point! I saw an awesome quote in someone's signature on here.... "Arguing on internet forums is like being in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard." Yep, think that sums it up.

Bloody
05-10-2006, 06:43 AM

in the epic sense maybe but not theme wise. I still have no idea what the fuck most of that song means.

Happyfunball
05-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Hate to break the news to everyone here, but there is no chance 10,000 Days will eclipse what Stairway to Heaven was or what it meant to rock music in general.

Just the simple fact that Stairway helped pave the way for rock music to have both an epic feel and still be played on the radio as an uncut, over 5 minutes long piece of music has ensured it's place in rock history for all time. 10,000 Days will not make an impact of that nature.

But really in looking at their respective careers, Pushit or Third Eye would have been the better bet for comparison as to me it encompasses more of what Stairway was for Zeppelin. Stairway was Zeppelin's first attempt at making an epic peice of music, which in part is what made it so mindblowing to the eventual listeners. They came out of nowhere from a mostly blues-oriented rock background to introduce an operetic/classical piece of music to their fans that clearly was also a straight-forward rock song and yet was a huge departure from what they had played up to that point. This was their very first attempt at something of this nature, and subsiquently they went on to create even more powerful and more challenging songs with epic overtones later in their career. But before Stairway, few people understood rock songs could even be epic. It guarnered recognition and acceptance even from people who otherwise felt rock music was a waste of time and lacked any assemblence of talent to play. Stairway to Heaven helped serve to prove such opinions wrong, and ranks in importance alongside Sgt Peppers as being a catalyst for meaningful change in general rock opinion.

For Tool, that first attempt at something of an epic nature came way back on Aenima when they decided to forego the standard length of rock music and instead preformed until the music was truly finished. Prior to that they were just another hard rock act who explored different musical structures than their contemporaries. Songs like Pushit, Third Eye, and even Eulogy made a decided change in that opinion however. It wasn't just a change in structure but rather a break from the industry norm itself which tends to like things wrapped up in 5 minutes or less. Tool strayed from that normality and found legions of fans willing to accept it. But whereas it was surprising then, it's not so surprising now in 2006. And certainly it's not surprising coming from Tool.

10,000 Days is indeed different in tone to what Tool's done before, but not a wholesale change. Disposition/Reflection already showcased that Tool could have a lighter side when desired. Beyond that though, this is the culmination of Tool's past which in many ways one can see the path that's led them to this current conclusion.

For Led Zeppelin on the other hand, Stairway was an abrupt change not only for themselves but for the rock industry in general. It made people recognize that song length was inferior to musical content. Beyond that, it forced additional recognition from outsiders that rock musicians had -- and in fact required -- talent. That not every joe-blow with a guitar and amp could play every rock song out there, much less be a creator.

10,000 Days is a good song. But you can't change what Stairway to Heaven meant for rock music as a whole. 10,000 Days simply won't eclipse that even if it does somehow generate a non-Tool following and acceptance, which it won't I'm afraid. Nobody save for us is going to gravitate towards it. That alone is enough to say it won't be the Stairway of our generation.

Rod
05-10-2006, 11:23 AM
"Ooops I did it again" is this generations Stairway.... it's very unfahtunate....

toolhead1959
05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall....did everyone forget Animals? I can hear an awful lot of similarity between Animals (dragged down by the stone, stone, stone, stone) and 10,000 Days. The rhythm, the lyrical depth, the message. StH is a great song but really not much depth to it. Pink Floyd had so many more "deep" and lyrically interesting songs than StH. But the point is well taken, StH broke the mold for pop radio.

centaur
05-11-2006, 06:40 AM

YES. I mean it is for me at least.

Washburn
05-11-2006, 06:41 AM
I personally think that the lyrics in "Comfortably Numb" is nothing short of genius.

evil agent
05-11-2006, 09:15 AM
I hate to say it, but I have to agree that 10kd (the song) will never be nearly as classic as Stairway. Stairway isn't even my favorite Zeppelin song, not by a long shot, but its an undeniable classic. I just don't see 10kd (the song) having that kind of impact.

centaur
05-11-2006, 09:18 AM
well it won't have such an impact because rock music in general has no longer a strong impact on masses.

though it will have a strong impact on individuals, like me, I am sure because it is a classic song

Eluril
06-20-2006, 09:46 PM
I know this topic is way old, but wanted to say I am very tired of hearing "Stairway to Heaven is overrated." That comment drives me fucking nuts.

It's classic because it's a fucking classic, not because radio stations played it ...and played it and played it. AND Yes motherfuckers Stairway is about as epic as rock can get whether you admit or not. Drop D power chording it is not.

And this is from a guy who will say Tool is easily the best band of the modern era. But, no song of theirs is as memorable as STH, Kashmir, No Quarter, When the Levee Breaks, or Achilles last stand, to name even my favorites. As complex and well written,....yes in some aspects. But Page is a much different guitarist than Jones, and everyone else is different. For Tool every song is Drop D almost. For Page...just look at Zeppelin 3 and the varieties of tuning let alone songwriting.

guitarpete987
06-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Not that they sound anything alike, but in terms of scope and since the songs are both pseudo eulogies I'd say 10,000 Days pt. 1 and 2 remind of me a whole lot of PF's shine on you crazy diamond. I just get a similar droning feeling from both. But both are very long in their entirety but the time just seems to fly by.

It's a lot more similar to that than Stairway. Stairway isn't actually very epic to me. It's long, yes, but it's not very epic to me at all. And am I the ONLY one here who thinks that Kashmir is one of Zep's worst songs? Talk about repeptitive. And that's cause I'm a hardcore Zeppelin fan.

Seriously. Achilles Last Stand, In My Time of Dying remind me of epic. Hell, Tea for One is more epic than Stairway, and it's a blues song.

All my opinion, of course.

koobcam
06-20-2006, 11:25 PM
I personally think that the lyrics in "Comfortably Numb" is nothing short of genius.
I'm with you on that one. Also, I have a washburn.

Eluril
06-21-2006, 05:50 AM
STH subject matter-Epic

Musical buildup-epic

Solo-epic

guitarpete987
06-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Just for the record, I never said I didn't love Stairway. I think it's probably one of the top 5 rock songs ever. Period. It just seems pretty straightforward to me.

And there's nothing wrong with that. But epic to me is a challenging journey that makes me feel all sorts of different things. I guess, to me, Stairway is not sweeping enough in scale to earn this title. If anything might be considered epic about it, it's definitely the buildup. I will admit not many rock songs were this sophisticated in this area before this song. The music really does tell the tale in itself. But I disagree about the lyrics or the solo.

Aunt Acid
07-17-2006, 11:34 PM
I know this topic is way old, but wanted to say I am very tired of hearing "Stairway to Heaven is overrated." That comment drives me fucking nuts.

It's classic because it's a fucking classic, not because radio stations played it ...and played it and played it. AND Yes motherfuckers Stairway is about as epic as rock can get whether you admit or not. Drop D power chording it is not.

And this is from a guy who will say Tool is easily the best band of the modern era. But, no song of theirs is as memorable as STH, Kashmir, No Quarter, When the Levee Breaks, or Achilles last stand, to name even my favorites. As complex and well written,....yes in some aspects. But Page is a much different guitarist than Jones, and everyone else is different. For Tool every song is Drop D almost. For Page...just look at Zeppelin 3 and the varieties of tuning let alone songwriting.

Just because a song is classic doesn't mean it's good. I like Stairway, SOMETIMES, but for the most part it IS overrated. It does not have the greatest guitar solo known to man like so many people think. It doesn't have the greatest ANYTHING. The only reason people still think it's good is because a bunch of eighth graders when they are learning to play guitar are shown the song by their father or their brother or something and they pretend it's super great and make a big deal out of nothing. They try and learn the song and they can't play it right away so they automatically assume Zepplin are GODS and nobody can fuck with them.

Just because somebody experiments with different tuning does not make them good. Tool uses Drop D, so what? At least Jones doesn't need to fuck with his tuning (other than lowering 1 string down 1 step) to be creative, or to make an original sounding work. And just because a song is in Drop doesn't mean it's not epic. Last time I checked, epicness is not proportianal to out-of-tuneness.