PDA

View Full Version : Row Row Row Your Boat

Synethesia
03-31-2003, 02:48 PM
"A child's rhyme stuck in my head, saying life is but a dream, I spent so many years in question to find I've known this all along."

Well I don't have time to go through every single post to see if anybody has brought this up yet so I'll just come out with it. I've been listening to a lot of Bill Hick's, I mean a lot. And I found one experpt about how we are all one and the body is an illusion because God does not create anything that can be destroyed. And then he mentions the childs rhyme "Row row row your boat gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream." We all know it. But It makes so much sense. Which is exactly what Maynard is talking about.

Well if you've ever taken psychodelics like psilocybin in mushrooms then you understand the concept of lost reality and the connection between everything. If you are thinking about experiencing this for yourself make sure first that you don't have history of mental illness in your family or possible underlying psychiatric problems that could be surfaced by the substance. Furthermore, make sure you gather extensive knowledge in mushroom identification and dosage.

Ok on with the interpretation: This song made no sense to me until I went into the world of psilocybin myself a while back. The references to colors suddenly made sense "bright and shimmering." "Like phosphorescent desert buttons."

"On my back and tumbling down that hole and back again."

Well like Bill Hicks talks about in his bit about mushrooms he talks about laying in a field of green grass for five hours and God [the three eyed face] raining gifts upon him. The feeling of falling and returning and pulsing is also a common sensation I feel when on psilocybin.

"Came out to watch you play, why are running away"

Well the feelings of disassociation with people are common, often times you need reassurance that a friend is who they are. "So glad its over" could be reffering to the trip. "I missed you so much" =reality. Shrowding all the ground around me is this holy crow above me" Well, in the deserts of California there are lots of crows, and everything that you focus on seems to have a profundity about it, and then the reference to color:

"Black as holes within our memory, and blue as our new second sun."

Ok heres where it gets really cool

"I stick my hand into his shadow and pull the pieces from the sand, try and attempt to reassemble...to see just who i might have been but I do not recognize the vessel..."
Ok so he searching for himself, his reality again but what he comes up with now is not what it used to be. Now that his reality is shattered he cannot put it back together.

"...But the eyes look so familiar..."

A friend of mines who recently tripped reported seeing everything round as eyes.

I see the end as a conversation with his sober state and his altered state. His sober self follows the teachings of dogma and society, his altered self follows the trail of smoke and reason. Notice he says "chasing the tail" to refer to dogma, suggesting that following dogma is like a dog chasing his tail, it just gets you going in a circle. Where as a trail of smoke will lead you up and away and will eventually just disperse into the air and leave you in a million places if you attempt to follow it. So each side of himself thought that the other had run away towards its own persuits, but when he opens his eye, there they both are. "I opened my eye and there we were."

Sound Accurate?

sircorn
04-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Synethesia

I see the end as a conversation with his sober state and his altered state. His sober self follows the teachings of dogma and society, his altered self follows the trail of smoke and reason. Notice he says "chasing the tail" to refer to dogma, suggesting that following dogma is like a dog chasing his tail, it just gets you going in a circle. Where as a trail of smoke will lead you up and away and will eventually just disperse into the air and leave you in a million places if you attempt to follow it. So each side of himself thought that the other had run away towards its own persuits, but when he opens his eye, there they both are. "I opened my eye and there we were."

Sound Accurate?

:) i like it.

dork
04-12-2003, 07:15 PM
"Notice he says "chasing the tail" to refer to dogma, suggesting that following dogma is like a dog chasing his tail, it just gets you going in a circle.

Yay i'm glad you mentioned this. It could easily be misinterpreted as the Tale of dogma... from there its obvious so yeah thanks holmes...

vermin
04-13-2003, 03:21 AM
paople just keep on thinking the body is but a shell and accually "disposable". i think thats a totally wrong interpretation. what is our mind, our thinking? brainwaves! harware with electric pulses!

who are we to think that god created us as the perfect resemblence to himself? who are we to think that we are the most important creation in the universe? WHO ARE WE TO CREATE A GOD?

we somehow started believing we are the goal of nature's development. thats bullshit. we'd love to be that. it fits perfectly in our ego-centered thinking. while we are the most disgusting creation of them all. we concider ourselves to be perfect while we cant even begin to imagine how big this planet even is, let alone the universe.

if, i say if, there is a god, belive me, he wouldnt have ANYTHING to do with us. he wouldnt even want to.

spiralion
04-14-2003, 08:43 AM
the dogma thing is cool, I never thought of it that way.

I also noticed the other day that the opening riff of the song (you know the one before "dreaming of that face again) is alot like the notes to row your boat song

and something sparked me from that last post. if we are in the image of god then our goal is to become zenlike or whatever like him if you got me, we have the same tools as him only attached flesh, or something............

ckm
04-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Kind of off on a tangent, but check out Star Trak III (I think) when they are in Yosemite.

Spock was unable to fathom the song, "Row, row, row your boat" because it made no logical sense.

Seems to me to be similar to what Maynard is saying in Third Eye.

xXlotusXx
04-20-2003, 08:16 PM
now that i think of that "row row row your boat" song, there's a movie where a mother or w/e is singing it to her child, and then it fades into some kind of memory...if this sparks your memory, could you please tell me what movie that is, or else i'm just tripping. sorry.

also, don't you think that row row row your boat is kind of a creepy nursery rhyme? to say that "life is but a dream" meaning that nothing is real, nothing you see is real. but if it isn't, than what is? a lot of nursery rhymes are a bit disturbing like that, i mean, look at the old gray goose is dead.
sorry, i'm ramblinb out my ass, but i guess its better than not thinking at all.

venusdatura
05-01-2003, 12:00 PM

Notice he says "chasing the tail" to refer to dogma, suggesting that following dogma is like a dog chasing his tail, it just gets you going in a circle.
Sound Accurate? [/B]

I love that! I always felt that way...some religion/dogma to me (notice I said to me) has always felt like I was chasing my tail, never really getting answers just running in circles. You put it so eloquently! Thanks!

sircorn
05-06-2003, 06:44 PM
I read some poetry recently, cant exactly remember the name or author, but it was basically about discovering your self. the speaker struggles with finding out which is the rea him. The true side out of many that we show to our friends, family, and/or strangers, ect. each day.

He comes to realize that the many make up his true self. We are many sided and our true being is not only one of those sides, but a blend of all of them. I think this clarifies what third eye and what synethesia are trying to say and also applies to tool in general.

sircorn
05-06-2003, 06:45 PM
"we are many"
pablo neruda