PDA

View Full Version : Grudge/Intesnsion -- "stone" correlation??

drummerwithapenis
05-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Listening to "Intesnsion", I heard something thats mentioned in a previous Tool song, "The Grudge."

from "Intesnion":
Pure as we begin
Here we have a stone
Gather, place, [erase, so / a razor]
Shelter turned to home

from "The Grudge":
Give away the stone.
Let the oceans take and transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone.
Let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.
Let go.

It seems Maynard uses the stone metaphor in both songs. I'm not good with making these kind of deep connections... so I was wondering if anyone else could?

ArizonaBay
05-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Alchemy

Phorcany
05-04-2006, 05:12 PM
yes I noticed this , maynard always does have that consistant connection to other songs which is something I like. Not to mention I think hes most used word in all of his music , tool and otherwise is "Down" Someday I'm going to count how many times hes said it in all his music. It's almost always sung the same way too.

drummerwithapenis
05-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Alchemy
'splain...

ArizonaBay
05-05-2006, 09:38 AM
^^ Look at the thread alchemy in this section for the explanation

davelisowski
05-05-2006, 10:37 AM
In "The Grudge," the stone has come to represent: a stone of burden, what grudges are; a stone (lead ore) in which alchemists turn into gold; the stone Saturn (Cronos) ate, in Greek mythology, which was a trick to save Zues from the fate of his siblings.

In "Intension," the stone seems to represent something entirely different, in my opinion. It seems like the stone represents: human beginnings - living in caves, stone weapons, stone tools, etc. Our purity seems to be lost through these things.

I will elaborate some more when I'm not at work.