PDA

View Full Version : Love the music... the artwork is interesting ... I hate the packaging.

gmenright
05-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I really hate the packaging. I've gone so far as to make a copy of the album for the car, so that I don't have to fidgit with the stupid cd-envelope.

What the HELL is that about? If the opening to the envelope was at the "top", that'd be okay, I suppose. But the stupid thing is turned so that I've no choice but to grab the disc with my grubby fingers and gradually work it out of the stupid envelope, then past the stupid book... argh!

Did I mention that I think it's stupid?

Pushit666
05-04-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm with you here. I put my disc in a separate jewel case.

Scrunzset
05-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Yeah, it's a bit cumbersome, but definitely unique. Unless you have a tight CD row going on, it's gonna push the CDs it's living with askew.

I even (when trying to put the disc back into the case) sorta wedged the disc in between the back and the sleeve a bit, make it stick a little bit. After some hyperventilating and worrying, I was able to remove it with no scratches. Whew.

Windir
05-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Tool just hopes you ruin the actual CD so you will buy another copy. Obviously.

carlylecastle
05-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Tool just hopes you ruin the actual CD so you will buy another copy. Obviously.
Agreed

identitat soldat
05-04-2006, 01:58 PM
I think it's a creative idea, although quite goofy. The whole 3-d thing is pretty sweet, but something tells me they just made it that way so a bunch of idiots all over the country would be holding this CD case right up to their faces looking through these goofy glasses.

Plus, the way that the goggles are built onto the case makes the figure in the artwork look like it's wearing glasses. A little akward.

paraology
05-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Think about it. Tool made recycled songs with shitty track titles so they topped it off with poor packaging. Its definitely a hoax.

lol j/k

F!end
05-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah, it's a bit cumbersome, but definitely unique. Unless you have a tight CD row going on, it's gonna push the CDs it's living with askew.

I even (when trying to put the disc back into the case) sorta wedged the disc in between the back and the sleeve a bit, make it stick a little bit. After some hyperventilating and worrying, I was able to remove it with no scratches. Whew.

The same thing happened to me...

MarthFTW
05-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Tom Waits' last album had that side-envelope thing too, gets on my nerves.

aperfecttoolapril
05-04-2006, 07:39 PM
i love the album cover, it makes my Tool collection so special, think about ur salival set, lateralus...ehh....they're all a pain in the ass, but i'm glad they are the way they are, and that the band wanted to see if they could get security camera coverage of all the record stores immediately after folks started looking through these goofy glasses like drones....maybe they could use these with some great effects and make their next video....a tribute to their oh so loyal zombified followers...lol :)

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Tool just hopes you ruin the actual CD so you will buy...
...the real CD that's coming out in about 5 weeks.

Blanket_509
05-04-2006, 08:19 PM
man, you guys just pick on everything you can possibly come up with. Remind me never to wear my purple pin-striped suit around you people.

Burd
05-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I love it. It's unique, creative, and obviously innovative, so I have no complaints. However I don't have many of the problems you guys do because I don't even play the actual cd. I just make copies of it. I have a 200 something sized cd case where I put all my copies of all the cds I've bought. This allows me to abuse my cds without having to worry about scratches or whatever. If one cd gets so fucked up it won't play, I just pop in the original and make another copy. It's probably saved me over $400 in new cds.

Rooney eats it
05-04-2006, 09:51 PM
ya, this is pretty lame, i bought it on tuesday morning and by wednesday afternoon while just sitting open on my desk the folded over part holding the plastic goggles opened, and the plastic is falling off. it wont even stay together if i squeeze it really tight, absolute bullshit

fraz
05-04-2006, 10:59 PM
ya, this is pretty lame, i bought it on tuesday morning and by wednesday afternoon while just sitting open on my desk the folded over part holding the plastic goggles opened, and the plastic is falling off. it wont even stay together if i squeeze it really tight, absolute bullshit

they should have cut the sleeve in a semi-circle so you can easily push the CD out with your finger. That and have the sleeve opening on the side for easy access.

Windir
05-05-2006, 08:51 AM
...the real CD that's coming out in about 5 weeks.

There will be no extra, or like you call it; 'real' CD coming out. I'm pretty sure of that. Though, if that would happen I will lose some respect for Tool... yes I have some good reasons why, but do not care to share them atm.

excrementauri
05-05-2006, 12:49 PM
I never once replaced the cd in the envelope. It didn't bother me that the packaging sucks. Computer software packaging often sucks. I just picked up a jewel case with some cd I don't use and made that my tool case.

5th Eye
05-05-2006, 03:29 PM
It's cool packaging, but it doesn't fit on my CD rack like it should. Instead it goes in sideways at a slight angle in one of the double-wide slots. How retarded is that? I'd've been able to make it face forwards if it would have been about 3mm thinner...but noooooo...

gmenright
09-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Why burn it? Take out the cd, get a seperate jewel case. Hobby in Photoshop and make a cover.

Good point; I'm just sort of anal about CDs being in their correct cases. I'm terrible for losing things, so I prefer them to be left in a very predictable location :)

Something else I did after was rip all of my Tool CDs to mp3 files and I now only have to worry about 1 disc for the car. I have it in almost all the time, so whenever the radio lets me down (when doesn't it? hehe), I just hit 'CD' and 'random', and I'm happy again!

I still hate the packaging btw, though I think that the each of the inner artworks is door-size poster-worthy. Very cool to look at. This is one album that I would consider buying on vinyl LP(s) if it had all this artwork inside!

eternalnuisance.com
10-01-2006, 04:21 PM
That's why God created those big leather clad cd cases where you can store fifty to a hundred cd's, dumbass

Nova_
10-01-2006, 04:37 PM
That's why God created those big leather clad cd cases where you can store fifty to a hundred cd's, dumbass

werd.

Cooly
10-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Pull out the top of the slot and let it drop out.