PDA

View Full Version : A play on words

xskhaos
05-04-2006, 09:09 AM
As is obvious from previous albums, Maynard really likes to play on words. He makes analogies and uses idioms to get his point across. This song in particular has quite a few. First, which has already been mentioned here is "The pot calling the kettle black" which is an idiom that simply describes a hypocrite. The second that I found which I don't think has been discussed here yet is "The Kangaroo Jury". Basically a Kangaroo jury is a trial which is either staged or the Judge is partial to one side. The reference Maynard makes about the "Kangaroo done Hung the Jury" has to be in reference to a Kangaroo Jury! In what context im not sure though. Any thoughts?

Mr. Fetus
05-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Im not sure i understand how "The Pot calling the kettle ( not sure if you had a typo here) Back" is refering to a hypocrit, id like for someone to explain dont flame me...:(

Hooker with a Third Eye
05-04-2006, 09:44 AM
kettles are black
pots are black

so its like calling out someone elses fault when u have the same one

xskhaos
05-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Check out this link its breaks it down for ya.

http://www.goenglish.com/ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.asp

As far as I understand The Pot is who the song is about. Anyone have thoughts on the Kangaroo Jury I posted above?

bugchaser
05-04-2006, 11:24 AM
chosen shades of indigo = the blues = the reefer blues
lemon juice = acid = LSD up in your high eye = Rosetta Stoned = the Reefer Blues

xskhaos
05-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Um..im confused on your observations bugchaser. Indigo is not exactly blue its kinda grayish too. That's too loose of an association. The lemon juice = acid I also have to disagree with. I've never heard lemon juice as slang term for acid. Honestly I think that the idea that this song has anything to do with drugs is incorrect.

ktrip
05-04-2006, 05:32 PM
i agree with you xskhaos, that bugs assertions are loose... but whos knows with tool...

but dont be quick to assume this song isnt about drugs... in one way or another. think its about hipocrasy, and at least some of that hipocrasy is aimed towards the 'war on drugs', where the kangaroo [i.e. kangaroo court, biased system] and the jury, and the government, are doing all sorts of things that they themselves are condemning. whether that be murdering people, or rolling up doobs. its bullshit none-the-less

evilprimeval
05-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Um..im confused on your observations bugchaser. Indigo is not exactly blue its kinda grayish too. That's too loose of an association. The lemon juice = acid I also have to disagree with. I've never heard lemon juice as slang term for acid. Honestly I think that the idea that this song has anything to do with drugs is incorrect.
"you're weeping shades of chosen indigo
got lemon juice up in your eye"
Both obvious references to theatrical tears, fake emotion for the show.
GW Bush in his act of sorrow over atrocities which, in actuality, serve the US as perfectly beautiful justification for the evils that they wait so patiently to perpetrate against others. I think they have a list of questionable plans/goals and secretly clap their hands in glee when something comes along that they can use to support their actions. Nothing better than a good reason...
I felt I needed to add that, as is the case with most good art, this is just one side of something that has many possible facets at which to look at. God, I love this band.

Murdz.
05-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Nice pickup evil.

ktrip
05-04-2006, 08:15 PM
/agree