PDA

View Full Version : Parallel with Floyds Division Bell

bales
05-04-2006, 07:45 AM
i'm seeing a sort of conceptual parallel between what maynard does in this song and with what gilmour did on division bell. the 2nd track on that album, 'what do you want from me', gave a obvious shift in writing from anything floyd has done. he turned the focus away from the normal content they sing about, and instead sang directly to the listener. consider the lines:

As you look around this room tonight
Settle in your seat and dim the lights
Do you want my blood, do you want my tears
What do you want
What do you want from me
Should I sing until I can't sing any more
Play these strings until my fingers are raw
You're so hard to please
What do you want from me

now the topics between this and vicarious are totally different, but the approach is the same. in vicarious maynard, for once, is singing directly to the listener rather than portraying some dialogie between 1 or more people. considering both albums seem to be about division, i wonder how many more lines we can draw between the two albums.

Oberon
05-04-2006, 08:34 AM
i'm seeing a sort of conceptual parallel between what maynard does in this song and with what gilmour did on division bell. the 2nd track on that album, 'what do you want from me', gave a obvious shift in writing from anything floyd has done. he turned the focus away from the normal content they sing about, and instead sang directly to the listener. consider the lines:

What do you want
What do you want from me
You're so hard to please
What do you want from me

now the topics between this and vicarious are totally different, but the approach is the same. in vicarious maynard, for once, is singing directly to the listener rather than portraying some dialogie between 1 or more people. considering both albums seem to be about division, i wonder how many more lines we can draw between the two albums.

the division bell blows, and maynard is singing in first person in vicarious

Dear Brena
05-04-2006, 08:42 AM

What do you want
What do you want from me
You're so hard to please
What do you want from me

of course, tool has became what the floyd was in the
70's, minus putting out albums less frequently..watch the wall,
(i said this somewhere else)
when pink is setting in the chair rocking back and forth...ie sober,stinkfist,
then walking down the hall, something adam would have done...
but floyd is another fav. band,