PDA

View Full Version : Hints of Lateralus... were planned.

mikehartl
05-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Many people, who first hear this song, instantly hear parts of Lateralus. Some have gone so far as to say that Tool is ripping off their own songs. But think about this...

What if it was planned?

Lateralus emphasized COMMUNICATION, how important it is, and how we need to grow and learn to communicate. Maynard, as you read in interviews, is frustrated and believed it failed.

Not forgetting Lateralus, this opening song looks to the past to remind us how important communication is, and then continues on to talk about all the violence on TV, and we have grown to need it becuase it has been COMMUNICATED to us every day of our lives. But yes, they want us to think about Lateralus... to remember, and not forget about the messages it contained.

Just something to chew over... I could be wrong. But I have found Tool does everything for a reason, and the similiarites are no accident or lack of fresh ideas to me.

10000 days in the fire
05-04-2006, 06:17 AM
you could be very right about this one, as you said maynard dosnt think we got the message in Lateralus so he's trying again. After 5 years though i think he could have picked up on another issue otherwise people might become bored with it. dont get me wrong i love the album but it could have had a different message insttead of trying to force this one on us still.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-04-2006, 06:22 AM
hasnt this been discussed else where? there not that much similarity to lateralus, but i can see y people would think it.

The Official Fiction
05-04-2006, 11:14 PM
"Shouldn't have to say it all again"

HateSolstice
05-05-2006, 01:27 PM
He also said to stop overanalyzing things in the song Lateralus too, but people missed that point entirely.

grathrax
05-05-2006, 03:58 PM
I think he is silly if he is to believe that tool will change the world or how people (outside of the fanbase) think, and a lot of fans are on his level or something like it anyway, so i dont see how he can be "frustrated"

SynapticSatisfaction
05-05-2006, 04:53 PM
.....so i dont see how he can be "frustrated"

Easy. Use a finger to hit the light switch. Then, walk over to the window and look outside. Frustrated yet? You should be.

Take a drive and examine your surroundings. Turn on the radio. Talk to a stranger or two. Go home, turn on the TV. Frustrated now? You shouldn't be. You should be fuming fucking angry.

It doesn't matter whether or not he believes anything he says or does will change anything. It's the fact that you have a perspective and in that perspective you see people chasing their own tail and shitting on thier own faces only to lick it up and keep doing it.

And wasn't it said that some of this album was leftover's from Lateralus? Which would explain the tangents.....

Tool may do things for a reason...... they may do things for no reason other than to have no reason intended. Oooh, yes. Take a hit from the joint for that one.

x7 Lateralus 7x
05-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I never thought of it that way. I'm not a huge fan of this new album, I really don't know why. But I would like to know in which part of Vicarious that it sounds like Lateralus, I'd like to hear THAT.

Convoy_X
05-07-2006, 05:43 PM
He also said to stop overanalyzing things in the song Lateralus too, but people missed that point entirely.
No shit.