PDA

View Full Version : Soundgarden..

devouredinchaos
05-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Does ANYONE else think that this track sounds a hell of a lot like Soundgarden? I mean not any particular song..just the atmosphere of it and what not..

HolyReality
05-04-2006, 06:37 AM
ummmmm......no.

s ti N Kfizt
05-04-2006, 07:03 AM
not much imjpo.

intoaneye
05-04-2006, 08:10 AM
It sounds llike the beginning of Betterman by Pearl Jam. But actaully sounds better. I always thought Pearl Jam shoulda made a whole song out of those chords. Im glad tool made use of it.

jsn
05-04-2006, 01:25 PM
it does a little.

The Useful Idiot
05-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Kind of similar to the Black Hole Sun intro.

Lost Keys
05-06-2006, 04:06 AM
Does ANYONE else think that this track sounds a hell of a lot like Soundgarden? I mean not any particular song..just the atmosphere of it and what not..

that just shows how much you listen to. and that's sad.

upandatthem
05-06-2006, 05:56 AM
nada

smeefsmeef
05-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Soundarden & Tool = My 2 favorite bands of all time.

I think a lot of Tool and Soundgarden have a lot of songs that sound slightly similar. Both bands have used quite a bit of odd time signatures in their songs as well as odd tunings.

devouredinchaos
05-07-2006, 10:42 AM
that just shows how much you listen to. and that's sad.

What the fuck are you talking about? Because I said Lost Keys sounds like Soundgarden your telling me I have BAD tase? Hah man you know nothing. I listen to everything under the sun from Acid Bath to Zappa and everythign else in between.

Amethyst Believer
05-07-2006, 11:03 AM
A little. The screaming guitar is very distinctive, and a bit of a change from normal Tool screaming guitar.

zol
05-08-2006, 06:36 AM
Soundarden & Tool = My 2 favorite bands of all time.

I think a lot of Tool and Soundgarden have a lot of songs that sound slightly similar. Both bands have used quite a bit of odd time signatures in their songs as well as odd tunings.

Not too many odd tunings for Tool as far as I've figured. Parabol/a has a dropped B/E thing and Prison Sex drop B. That's about it (yet to figure out much of the new album).

paraflux
05-08-2006, 06:41 AM
What the fuck are you talking about? Because I said Lost Keys sounds like Soundgarden your telling me I have BAD tase? Hah man you know nothing. I listen to everything under the sun from Acid Bath to Zappa and everythign else in between.
I agree with this. People who simply want to tear ideas down instead of offering their own... kinda pathetic.

blair's man sausage
05-08-2006, 07:17 AM
the other night i actually took XMDays out and played badmotorfinger....rusty cage coming on was like seeing an old friend, i love that feeling...after an entire listen i put tool back in and heard it in an entirely different light, where every song that came on had me in an almost trance like state...

paraflux
05-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Badmotorfinger is so fucking good, I never tire of it.

LostHighway3
05-08-2006, 09:02 AM

It reminds me of the intro to "Searching With My Good Eye Closed" a little. I guess the drawn out note and the voice over.

Huff
05-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Not too many odd tunings for Tool as far as I've figured. Parabol/a has a dropped B/E thing and Prison Sex drop B. That's about it (yet to figure out much of the new album).

Yeah other than Prison Sex I think just about every Tool song is dropped D

blair's man sausage
05-08-2006, 11:03 AM
jesus christ pose is fucking brilliant....the devil goes....

mike09
05-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah other than Prison Sex I think just about every Tool song is dropped D

Prison Sex = BADGBE

Parabol/Parabola = BEDGBE

Maynard's Dick = EADGBE

Those are the three.

s ti N Kfizt
05-25-2006, 03:09 AM
the sounds of this song sound like Soundgarden but not the melody.

i think for example Limowrecks beginning sounds much like a part what could've been in Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. etc.

NoD
05-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Superunknown > Any rock album of the past 20 years. Soundgarden was pure sex.

Lost Keys does have a little soundgarden vibe, has that kim thayil creepiness, but it actually reminded me more of the ending to Half. Now that's an ideal segue.

s ti N Kfizt
05-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Superunknown > Any rock album of the past 20 years.
it's good, but not soo special imo. but i have listened only Superunknown and Down on the Upside.. i probably like DOTU more than Superunknown. have to listen to it more though.

NoD
05-25-2006, 08:48 AM
it's good, but not soo special imo. but i have listened only Superunknown and Down on the Upside.. i probably like DOTU more than Superunknown. have to listen to it more though.

Wow first person I've ever heard say they thought DotU > Superunknown. Down on the Upside is great, but Superunknown is a timeless masterpiece. Who whole CD from beginning to end has so many songs that all fit so well with eachother it's amazing; the most cohesive rock album ever. Down on the Upside is awesome too, Soundgarden broke up at the perfect time, with Cornell in a depressed angst ridden drunken rage.

StereoScopicLenses
05-25-2006, 10:30 AM

YES. Not entirely but I was thinking the exact same thing while listening to this track for the first time. Just the guitar part towards the end. Blow up the outside world.

Max T.
05-25-2006, 11:36 AM
it doesn't sound much like soundgarden, nor grunge-affiliated for that matter to me....

Mozeley
05-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Prison Sex = BADGBE

Parabol/Parabola = BEDGBE

Maynard's Dick = EADGBE

Those are the three.

There's a whole lot many more Soundgarden songs that are in weird tunings though.

Mozeley
05-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Superunknown > Any rock album of the past 20 years.

Superunknown was fantastic, yeah, I agree. Not as good as Aenima in my book though.

Fave albums of the 90s?

Aenima
Superunknown
Siamese Dream
Wiseblood

Timeless, fantastic, brilliant albums.

buster hymen
05-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Fresh Tendrils off superunknown is one of my favorite songs ever.

Nemo's Omen
05-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Wow first person I've ever heard say they thought DotU > Superunknown.

To be honest, I like Down on the Upside better than Superunknown, though I don't know if I'd say it's a better album. It does have better production, in my opinion. Much of Superunknown sounded muddy; Down on the Upside sounded HUGE, and had a lot more clarity. It was also a little more progressive and went in some interesting new directions.

Like I said, I don't know if I'd really say it's a better album, but years later, I love listening to Down on the Upside, and rarely pull out Superunknown.

Funny, though: just yesterday I listened to Badmotorfinger for the first time in many years, and there were several points in listening when I went "Holy shit, that sounds like Tool." The music, but not the vocals, definitely has some similarities to stuff off of Undertow & 10,000 Days.

blair's man sausage
05-25-2006, 12:28 PM
superunknown was probably my least favorite sg disc...

Doowadiddy
05-25-2006, 12:38 PM

Lost Keys does have a little soundgarden vibe, has that kim thayil creepiness, but it actually reminded me more of the ending to Half. Now that's an ideal segue.

Superunknown rocks for sure! I popped it in every now and then...takes me right back to being 17...

smeefsmeef
05-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Superunknown opened my eyes to music.

I miss Soundgarden >sniff, sniff<

A Qotgg
06-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Audioslave is so terrible, ';( ';(
I do think that Tool shares in some songs, a certain swagger that Soundgarden possessed. Both bands do prog-metal takes on blue riffs, not like they're from two different ends of the spectrum.

The Official Fiction
06-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Can't hear it, but compared to Soundgarden, Audioslave sucks the big one. No need to compare though. Shutting myself up. Now.

pneuma
06-05-2006, 03:15 AM
I thought of 'Half' from 'Suerunknown' first time I heard it.

mike09
06-05-2006, 06:29 AM
There's a whole lot many more Soundgarden songs that are in weird tunings though.

Which is relevant how?

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 07:28 AM

NoD, I would have to agree with that statement. I particularly love the title track of that album- it's almost mystical while it rocks the shit out of your core- goosebumps every time.

But s ti N Kfizt, I have never heard that opinion in my life. The first time I ever heard Down On The Upside, my first thought was, "Shit! Soundgarden is going to break up!" To my drummer's ear, Matt Cameron just sounded so BORED back there, especially when you compare this work to the nuance-laden masterpiece of Superunkown. Seriously, from the first time I ever heard "Blow Up the Outside" I was waiting to hear the bad news . . .

I actually got to see Matt play with Pearl Jam at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin. At that time, he was just sitting in with the band for one concert. But he rocked the shit out of it, recapturing his old vitality and ingenuity. At one point, the band broke into Last Exit, but everybody fucked up the rhythm (5/4) at the transition from chorus to verse two . . . Everybody except Matt. He was the only one to keep it up- though not yet a member of the band. Don't get me wrong, Thayill, Sheppard, and Cornell all rock with authority, but Matt Cameron was the heartbeat of that band (and that's not just a drummer-pun).

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 07:29 AM
it doesn't sound much like soundgarden, nor grunge-affiliated for that matter to me....
Soundgarden was so much more than grunge.

toocooltool
06-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Soundgarden was so much more than grunge.

whitewater
06-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Superunknown opened my eyes to music.

I miss Soundgarden >sniff, sniff<

Me too. A lot.

Edit: And speaking of audioslave, I miss RATM too man. We need those guys in today's world.

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 08:35 AM
I was so psyched when first I heard the line-up for Audioslave, yet so bitterly dissapointed with the effort put forward. Audioslave is easily the biggest musical dissapointment of my lifetime- I mean c'mon, Like A Stone? Fuck the Bullshit.

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Maynard's Dick = EADGBE
Is it just me, or does this not qualify as an unusual tuning?

smeefsmeef
06-05-2006, 03:54 PM

For Tool it is unusual.

smeefsmeef
06-05-2006, 03:55 PM
I saw Soundgarden in '96 and Kim Thayil was wearing a Tool shirt. I was happy. Tool + Soundgarden = God.

Spaceman Spiff
06-05-2006, 03:59 PM
I'll have to listen to it again, but I think I can see where you're coming from on the Soundgarden comparison. Awesome band.

mike09
06-05-2006, 04:32 PM

It's unusual only because the majority of their songs are in Drop D.

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 04:42 PM
It's unusual only because the majority of their songs are in Drop D.
True, I was just thinking that Drop D is also pretty standard, while the Drop B and the Drop B/E are pretty devious.

guitarpete987
06-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Soundgarden is one of my top 10 favorite bands ever.

Seriously, Chris Cornell is being wasted in Audioslave.

Soundgarden, like Tool, was a band that was so good because of the sum of the members' talents. And they could make any time signature sound easy as pie. Seriously, half the time you didn't even realize they were in an odd time because they did it so smoothly.

Matt Cameron is still rocking in Pearl Jam, but his distinct style was a keystone of Soundgarden's sound, kinda like Danny is for Tool. He could do all kinds of crazy shit rhythmically while still holding it all together.

Ben Shepard is an amazing bass player. If you saw Soundgarden live, you'd know that Justin isn't the only bass player who can accurately recreate the album note for freaking note in a concert.

Kim Thayil had incredible ideas, although I do think he overused the wah pedal too much in his solos. Him and Chris really came up with some amazing harmonic things because they weren't afraid to experiment with tunings.

What a great band they were. (tear)

And Down on the Upside? Critically panned because reviewers couldn't figure it out or place it among Soundgarden's catalogue. It's a brilliant album and as while not their best, I think it works as their most listenable album from start to finish. The flow is flawless.

æmoeba•°·.
06-05-2006, 05:42 PM
nope. (main post)

WholeLottaEyes
06-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Yes, holy shit soundgarden rocks!

fresh tendrils
overfloater
applebite

To the guy who like aenima, siamese dream and superunknown (my top 3 the outta the 90s as well)
What is Wiseblood?

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 09:02 PM
. . .
Soundgarden, like Tool, was a band that was so good because of the sum of the members' talents. And they could make any time signature sound easy as pie. Seriously, half the time you didn't even realize they were in an odd time because they did it so smoothly.
. . .
And Down on the Upside? Critically panned because reviewers couldn't figure it out or place it among Soundgarden's catalogue. It's a brilliant album and as while not their best, I think it works as their most listenable album from start to finish. The flow is flawless.
I completely agree with your first point, but I still would rather give Superunkown a cover-to-cover listening than Down On the Upside, any day of the week.

Pughwe
06-05-2006, 09:29 PM
wiseblood is an awesum Corrosion of Conformity album. Soundgarden does rock....a great band. Chris Cornel is one of my favorite singers of all time, although not with Audioslave I really can't stand them. Temple of the Dog rocks, i love pushin forward back.

Alice in chains is another band that I love as well. Jerry Cantrell is an amazing guitar player. I liked Mad Season's "Above" album as well....i would have to put this album in my top 10 albums of the past 20 years.

smeefsmeef
06-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Did I mention that Soundgarden Ruled? If not... yeah... they ruled. I'm glad Tool came along to replace them as my favorite EXISTING band... Oh no... I just had a thought.. If this is Tool's last album, and they break up... I'll have no favorite existing band and I'll wind up just like my parents who might think that all new music is crap. NOOOoooo

NoD
06-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Superunknown was fantastic, yeah, I agree. Not as good as Aenima in my book though.

I disagree. Aenima is a masterpiece, but Superunknown beats the hell out of it and Lateralus.

Soundgarden showed you don't need any direct "spiritual" lyrics or sacred geometry to connect with the soul, you can do it all with pure lyrical/musical briliance and badassness.

weak&weary
06-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Badmotorfinger is so fucking good, I never tire of it.
So freaking true. My favorite all-time record, hands down.