PDA

View Full Version : Your Interpretation of VT

jsn
05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
this song has been bugging me.
granted it may mean nothing. it may just be random sounds.
but i got the idea in my head that it means THE END.

i base this on my interpretation of the word or words, "the system", "is down?"
some people say it's "assist us!" but i don't know.

if it is the first, i think the sounds are of THE GREAT MACHINE dying. i have seen other people say the same thing on this board. the back and forth sounds are a giant heartbeat slowing down and the big whoosh is the dying breaths. then the sound of a BEING saying "the system is DOOWWWNNNN."

it's like God, or the Creator, or the infinite machine shutting down and dying. existence coming to an end. maybe the album about 10,000 days in the fire ends with the last thoughts of a great mind or person dying.

that's my theory. what's yours.

lessthanmurf
05-03-2006, 10:17 PM
my interpretation of VT is similar to yours but to me it is a human life ending. the sounds are reminisent of the sounds in pt 1 and pt2. to me this song represents the transition from life to death. it is the in between stages. it gives me a feeling of being far away from earth (deep space?) as though the soul is being transported somewhere. perhaps to the gates refer to in pt2.

lightlytoasted
05-04-2006, 01:14 AM
my interpretation of VT is similar to yours but to me it is a human life ending. the sounds are reminisent of the sounds in pt 1 and pt2. to me this song represents the transition from life to death. it is the in between stages. it gives me a feeling of being far away from earth (deep space?) as though the soul is being transported somewhere. perhaps to the gates refer to in pt2.

i think the song represents a dilation of time in the seconds before a person dies. this whole album is about death. vicarious is about the human race's obsession with death. jambi - jury's still out. 10,000 days is pretty obvious. lost keys and rosetta stoned are the near-death experience. you can see it in every song, if you look.

the whooshing is the breath leaving and the being saying either "assist me now" or "the system is down" is indicative of the last throes of the nervous system.

just my two cents.

happydipshit
05-04-2006, 01:19 AM
whatever it means, its BS and YOU know it

11Reflections11
05-04-2006, 02:48 AM
All's I can say is do something worth putting on an album here! There was the carrot sermon, the prank call, the most epic TooL song 3rd eye and my favorite song LAMC. Then this... ok so if the whole death thing applies, great. Other than that, I hear someone breathing into a microphone, and some sound effects I could make with a highly distorted guitar and a multi-effects pedal and 10 minutes. I dont know. I don't feel like they tried on this one.........

jgrune
05-04-2006, 05:06 AM
I listened to it last night in a dark room at ear-bleeding decibels and I can honestly say it feels as if my brain just took a shower;