PDA

View Full Version : Reason Tool began anti-religion

Silverbrain
05-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Finally have the CD in hand. the chance to listen to it in its perfection...something hit me. Having read a snippet that 27 years ago Maynard mom was hit with a form of paralasys (stroke?) ...10,000 days between that and her guide home.. This song really hits me as a song that shows how deeply his mother was into religion...

That makes sense...as someone who it deeply into religion, to then become partially paralized, and the FU attitude someone might have toward religion at that point (my mother worships you, she honors you, and you do this shit to her!?! WTF) Hense the turn to Opiate...the album and subsequent versions of anti-religion songs, to spite them, and the seek for enlightenment through the years and albums.

"Ignorant fibbers in the congregation,
Gather around spewing sympathy, spare me."

a big f.u. whats the point of church when this happens to a believer.

"Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I have come home now!
Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now! My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings."

She believed...let her in to her beliefs if that is the case of the end.

"Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance, "

An acceptance, she's in a higher place.

Wings for Marie = a quick acceptance of what happened
10,000 days is the length it took to understand, her faith never failed, and shes going home.

So personal, so perfect. Bless Maynard, and hope he doesn't go home for at least 2 more albums )))

gamegod195
05-03-2006, 07:10 PM
brilliant. good job man..

eek
05-04-2006, 04:22 AM
That's a really good interpretation. My thoughts are along similar lines, but not as well organised or stated. ;)

Judith (APC) helped make it clearer, I hadn't really listened to that much until a couple of days ago.

I do remember Maynard saying that he was raised in a Baptist environment in one interview, and have heard that their evangelical ways can be somewhat overbearing at times. Attending Catholic schools throughout my teens, I can imagine how that would have been such an incitement for rebellion, especially in light of the tragedy of his mother's stroke and subsequent paralysis.

Thanks for sharing.

Dhalz
05-04-2006, 04:43 AM
Good thoughts. I have to agree with what you said. Im going to give Judith a listen tonight.

Muladhara
05-04-2006, 05:02 AM
Give jimmy a listen too

"11 and she was gone" - the age he was when she was paralysed.

third_eye77
05-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Very interesting. Good insight.

CelestialRender
05-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Aye, realizing the Jimmy connection is useful, but I think that Judith gives the most insight to this song. There he's telling her that she doesn't deserve what she got, and here he's saying "well ya stuck with it anyway, so make sure they roll out the red carpet for ya up there"

profundo giallo
05-04-2006, 11:11 AM
You just dont want to play Jimmy, Judith and Wings for Marie/10000 Days in succession.Talk about emotion overload

Blyker
05-04-2006, 03:42 PM
You just dont want to play Jimmy, Judith and Wings for Marie/10000 Days in succession.Talk about emotion overload

QFT

When Maynard was 11 his mother Judith had a stroke. 27 years later (10000 days) she dies.
His mother kept her faith and probably saw the stroke and the disability as a test of her faith from god. Maynard couldnt do that as each time he looked at his mother he only saw what an sadistic bastard that god would be if it existed.

He had his opinions and his mom had hers. No matter what he said or did she kept her faith. In Jimmy and Judith she was still alive and he was still confronted with the sadism of god each time he saw her.

In 10000 days Judith has passed away. And now even though he didnt agree with her faith he has to admire it. And if by any chance that sadistic god of hers does exist then he better receive her with open arms because such a strong faith is very rare.

panocha21
05-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't know if you guys want to hear this, but this is my interpretation of the song.

According to Maynard, his mother was well above those "fibbers in the congregation."

"Listen to the tales and romantisize how we follow the path of the hero.
Boasting about the day oh when the river's overun, how we rise to the height of our halo ...."
" .... Faking all the trials and the tribulations. None of us have actually been there. Not like you ..."
"You're the only one who could hold your head up high."

Maynard is worshipping his mother. Not in a "oh, you're my mom. I have to love you" sense. But in a spiritual sense. Much like the way people worship Jesus. She overcame her tribulations to saved a life (Maynard's I presume), and never lived a lie. She was Maynard's evidence, his pillar of faith. The world is filled with so much hypocrisy. But she is the opposite. She did her part. She is a hero, a savior, something spritual people only think they want to be.

panocha21
05-04-2006, 11:26 PM
If I can add another point, Maynard is displaying his pessimism for the state of those who follow the ignorant fibbers. "What are they going to do when the lights go down without you to guide them all to Zion?" Without people like Judith to show them how to live, they're doomed (the Christians in Judith's life). But Maynard realizes this. He was enlightened by her. "This little light of mine, this gift you passed onto me. I'm gonna let it shine to guide you safely on your way ... your way home." Maynard is still very humbled though. "What have I done to be a son to angel. What have I done to be worthy?"

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
"This little light of mine, this gift you passed onto me. I'm gonna let it shine to guide you safely on your way ... your way home."
This is a play on a song that I've heard...

"This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine..."

Time to break out Google and see if I can't find the whole song.

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 11:33 PM
http://www.gbgm-umc.org/marshltn/VBSSong_little_light.html

njm
05-04-2006, 11:34 PM
I don't think Tool's disdain of religion is the result of Maynards mother being paralyzed. I think it is more the widespread destruction of minds that would be at the top of the list.

I don't think the song is about acceptance of what happened. I think it is saying goodbye, but allowing that goodbye to be framed in a way the the person believed. I think what is said doesn't mean maynard accepts his mothers religion, rather that he is just saying "this is what you believed, if it is true, then you better demand your wings from the makre" because he really loved his mum (mom)!

But you kind of said that anyway! So good observations...

silerwen
05-07-2006, 07:08 AM

i think that is about the whole song...lol

talibad
05-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Aye, realizing the Jimmy connection is useful, but I think that Judith gives the most insight to this song. There he's telling her that she doesn't deserve what she got, and here he's saying "well ya stuck with it anyway, so make sure they roll out the red carpet for ya up there"

in the emotion dvd for apc maynard goes pretty in depth at who this songs geared to and trust me its not his mother not in the sense of who hes pissed at anyway. he said something alongh the lines of "i would watch all these people from church comeing to visit her in her state and they would exclaim how her faith was going to get her through and it was strong then id over hear them in another room saying how hopeless it was" hateing the hypocracy and false words of it all.

thermnskl
10-07-2011, 08:15 AM
heya all
its been at least 150 000 years since i have formally viddied this site. hello kabir. from: roman - 2001 august la avec king crimson shows. great times. legendary.

*just a note:

that "stepping out of the shadows" timeline piece from exclaim! magazine toronto canada that i wrote/compiled from interviews by myself and mostly other sources (not to mention having been 'filtered' through the Editorial dept. ...

ref:
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=June_2001--Exclaim.html
original archived source:
http://exclaim.ca/Features/Timeline/tool-stepping_out_from_shadows

**...I'd like to state that I do not share the opinion mentioned by the interviewee within the piece/article in regards to Scientology, its pracitices, beliefs and so forth...**

thanks

roman sokal

TreyPetty
10-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Thats the whole song. It's a kids church song....

10,000 Days-This song is obviously about Maynard's mother, his (Maynard's) rebellion against God and his journey back to God. I dont see how you can interpret it any other way.

You know, analyze things less....they are easier to understand.

dancingflame
10-18-2012, 05:56 AM
i thought it was a love song for lucifer in the first place- doesn`t he also love god so much that he is tolerating "god`s rules" after all he had done to him...some salt hidden in this post...