PDA

View Full Version : Wjat is this song about?

smeefsmeef
05-03-2006, 06:13 PM
I've no idea.

tuadeus
05-03-2006, 09:54 PM
I think the key lies in mark chapter 5 and matthew and luke chapter 8.

Stev
05-03-2006, 10:08 PM
I second your theory McRoggles.

Those biblical verses are good for understanding the 'legion' thing, but they're far from the theme of the song. They just explain why Maynard uses the term 'legion' to describe the demons who used to 'have him down' and how he doesn't take any shit from them now.

The song (imo) is not just about how Maynard would give it all up for his son, but also about how he used to be tempted and twisted by the darker side of himself and by the temptations of the rock and roll lifestyle, but that's changed now because of his son.

lemonwater
05-03-2006, 10:56 PM
I've no idea.
check out a glob or map

Stev
05-03-2006, 11:13 PM
check out a glob or map

A glob of what? :P

lemonwater
05-03-2006, 11:19 PM
provinc in indonesia hart of sumatra maybe tsunami related or his son?feast like a sultan i do

Stev
05-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Ummmm....huh?

oneequalszero
05-03-2006, 11:52 PM
I think the song would fall into place if there was a definite answer about who "you" is in it. I've read a few theories, I really do think the "son" is "sun", it just works way better. Maybe something official will come out...

MyShadow683
05-04-2006, 04:06 PM
i think the general idea of this song is about humanity coming together as one and therefore eliminating the conflicts we witness everyday of our lives. i mean ofcourse it is a tool song and im sure there are many other interpretations of it but thats just the way i look at it.

Shine down upon the many, light our way,
Benevolent sun.

that basically meaning the "sun" is light from god that guides us. Perhaps saying that our last resort for survival is you God, since you put us here, you guide us on the right path.

Breathe in union (lets all come together)

So, as one, survive
Another day and season
Silently, just save your poison
Silently, just stay out of my way

the last bit in the song is basically saying that if you don't want to be part of this unity we're trying to form, you're better off staying out of our way.

marcusskinner
05-04-2006, 07:58 PM
jesus

"benevolent son"

"Shine down upon the severed"

"So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow would take you away
You're my peace of mind, my home, my center
I'm just trying to hold on
One more day "

"But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round"

lol

and the title track 10000 days could further fuel this thought.

I know, first post, but that's what I gathered from it. Dont hurt me

transcend187
05-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Not Jesus, I think.

Aside from the fact that Maynard is VERY unlikely to... accept a dogmatic religion.... there are aspects of the song that point to it being about a tangible, mortal person in his life. For instance,

If I thought tomorrow, they'd take you away"

They'd take you away? Not Jesus... No third party can take Jesus away.

"[Pray / Prayed] like a [martyr / father] [does / dusk] to dawn
Beg like a hooker all night long
Shout to the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along"

Shouted to the devil and got what he wanted, but would give it up just so not to lose....Jesus? Doesn't make any sense. He would technically have to forsake any aspect of the Devil, figuratively or literally, to have Jesus in the first place.

Although I think Maynard's spiritual beliefs seem to have evolved in the last few years, the idea that this is about Jesus just doesn't seem right. Unless he really wasn't fucking with us in April 2005 :P (Maynard found Jesus? hehe).

But I think it makes a lot of sense when applied to his son.

The parts that really bewilder me are the references to "benevolent sun" (and it could be a double meaning with sun and son, but a) I don't think its Jesus, and b) I don't see how his son could be called benevolent...).

Oh, and that angry bit at the end really wouldn't fit the Jesus theory either...

"So, as one, survive
Another day and season
Silently, just [say / save] your poison
Silently, just stay out of my way"

He's definitely not telling non-believers to stay out of his way. That'd be a complete contradiction of everything he seems to believe in.

resonance.
05-04-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm pretty sure it's about Devo, well, moreso about raising a child when you're a rockstar.

transcend187
05-04-2006, 09:04 PM
I agree; most of it makes sense in the context of the song, and knowing what we do about Maynard I have no doubt in my mind that his love for his son reaches the extent he describes here.

There are still some confusing lyrics within the song, though.

marcusskinner
05-04-2006, 10:07 PM

Certainly no one could take jesus away, but spiritually this is very possible. The other half, the devil, can certainly take someones soul away. So in a way he's being taken away from jesus or vice versa.

Shouted to the devil and got what he wanted, but would give it up just so not to lose....Jesus? Doesn't make any sense. He would technically have to forsake any aspect of the Devil, figuratively or literally, to have Jesus in the first place.

He could be talking about all the past songs in which he was blasphemous and shouted to the devil with his lyrics. And if you remember, he then goes into the "But I...I would...wish it all away" part right after this verse. So he could be saying he'd wish everything away if he could just make up for it.

Although I think Maynard's spiritual beliefs seem to have evolved in the last few years, the idea that this is about Jesus just doesn't seem right. Unless he really wasn't fucking with us in April 2005 :P (Maynard found Jesus? hehe).

This is very true. Even in lateralus he speaks of parabols which are the stories that jesus used to tell to his followers.

The benevolent son part is also a big mystery to me. Once again, the "shine on upon the broken" can further illustrate my idea. He's referring to someone that has some kind of power or aura.

And most likely its lyrical trickery as someone once said. But either way, jesus is known as a light, so whether it be sun or son, it's all very symbolic.

Oh, and that angry bit at the end really wouldn't fit the Jesus theory either...

"So, as one, survive
Another day and season

He mentions the devil in this song a lot. He could be referring to the devil at the end. This song just reminds me of a battle. He's talking about the devil in almost every verse and then counters it with "But I..."

What do you guys think? I'm just sharing my idea whether it be right or wrong.

bluefire
05-04-2006, 10:15 PM
In love with the dark side i'd found...

Anakin Skywalker, obviously.

transcend187
05-04-2006, 10:21 PM
He could be talking about all the past songs in which he was blasphemous and shouted to the devil with his lyrics. And if you remember, he then goes into the "But I...I would...wish it all away" part right after this verse. So he could be saying he'd wish everything away if he could just make up for it.

Hmm. I think you're taking that line out of context. He's saying that he'd wish it all away "If I thought I'd lose you."

That's an incredibly important bit of context. IF. He's not saying he IS wishing it all away, but if at any moment he thought he'd lose "you" (WHOOO?!!!) he'd wish this all away. This, being the rockstar life, or as he seems to enjoy putting it, the "Devil".

And, please note, I think he's using the devil figuratively, not in the dogmatic Christian sense. The idea of a Devil-like figure is far older than Christianity.

So, if he'd wish it all away IF he THOUGHT he'd LOSE "you", then he doesn't feel guilty or sinful, he's just trying to protect this "you". This, I think, can mean one of two things.

In the case of the Jesus, theory, perhaps he doesn't accept the dogmatic idea of Jesus, and that if he DID think he'd lose Jesus then he'd give it up.

But I think it makes much more sense as a reference to his son. He'd wish it all away if at any time he thought it meant he'd lose his son.

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 10:23 PM
With the weird wording of that line, and the fact that it was talking about the Dark Side...I couldn't help but think of Star Wars either...

transcend187
05-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Maybe Maynard...is the real chosen one. Is he going to bring balance to the force?

foma
05-05-2006, 01:56 AM
I've no idea.
You can have my guess here:
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=45523

I still think the lyrics are rather, umm, stupid, like pulling somebody's leg.

Cryptic
05-05-2006, 04:24 AM
I'd put my money on Stev's theory... Definately about fatherhood

eslupminoyler
05-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Jesus was very opposed to dogma.
People assume that he is somehow similar to church leaders.

He was a spiritual renegade to classify him in the least erudite sense.

Shmooove
05-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I thought all Maynard's songs were either about anal sex or masturbation?

question93
05-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Tantra y0. It has to do with Tantra.

technicalbull
05-06-2006, 12:42 PM
i think this song again has his mother in mind ,,,,,but now from a spiritual place (possibly with her "savior").....and he basically saying he would of given everything up for her......but i think in the end....if she truly is with jesus and is "shining down on him " he is rejecting her "savior" .........brilliant gdamn song regardless of the interpretation.IMO

The Useful Idiot
05-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Its an ode to the genie in Pee Wee's Playhouse

littlejason
05-06-2006, 03:17 PM
From several listens and trying to figure out what he's talking about (and keeping in mind the title of the album and the meaning behind that), I think it's the first of 3 songs aobut his mother as well as himself, we got a lot more self-reflection on this record than the last one, it's a lot more personal. Give it another listen, and really pay attention, see if you see the same thing.

tool25
05-06-2006, 03:27 PM
probably about his mom, cant see it being about anything other than that

DavidG36
05-06-2006, 07:11 PM
I think it's called Jambi because it's connected to the PeeWee's Playhouse character. You know the floating genie head in the box. It's kind of a follow up name to Vicarious, because Jambi was a magician, so in a way he is like a TV or some other time consuming device, conjuring things from a box that can change your emotions or your perception of reality.

toolmaul
05-06-2006, 09:11 PM
could just be about mortality, after watching his mom die this is all just about his life and not wanting to die
kinda like parabola is about not fearing death in a way, this is about fearing death

TheBigTool
05-06-2006, 10:48 PM
When he sings "Jambi eyes" ... are the Jambi Eyes to two eyes shown in the packaging and on the website?

I keep hearing people referring to Jambi as the genie on PeeWee's Playhouse but I'm not sure if that really has any relevance ...

to me the fatherhood explanation seems to be a pretty good theory listening to the lyrics

transcend187
05-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Heh, the two eyes on the packaging are STEREOSCOPIC LENSES.

Now, I'm pretty sure they have some kind of meaning as well, but they are a TOOL to see the 3D images in the booklet.

I'm guessing the meaning is something along the lines of the lens through which everyone sees the world, sort of an "open your eyes" kind of thing.

cynicis
05-07-2006, 11:46 AM
I thought everyone on the lyrics thread to this kind of agreed it was about his son. It's definitely about someone close to him, someone that he would sacrifice evrything for. So I think you're kind of limited at that point to wife/immediate family. I suppose it could be another song about his mother, but "Wings" and "10000 Days" are more than appropriate for that. Those are some incredible songs. I think "Jambi" being about his mother, especially placed just before those songs, would kind of be an overkill. You don't need "Jambi" if you have "Wings" and "10k Days."

I think the line where Maynard's worried about this person being "taken away" is pivotal, only because of its ambiguity. People often say that God "takes people away," but considering the fact that this guy is a megastar who tours the world, and obviously has a past of drug use, I would not put it out of the realm of possibility that it might be some child services / the child's mother trying to take the kid away. I would say no one knows his his family dynamic, so it's hard to say, but to dismiss any of these things would be premature and narrow-minded. He may say something at a show or an interview or something. I'm content to wait until then.

cynicis
05-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh yeah... and if the Pee Wee thing has any sort of significance in actuality, I'm going to be pissed. I don't even think his kid was old enough to see Pee Wee, much less have a profound affect on him. Plus, when he has been taking words from Enochian magic, all those books Danny is into, and mathematics and the like.... if he takes a song name from Pee Wee's fucking playhouse, he needs to go read some more books.

Jerk off
05-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Certainly no one could take jesus away, but spiritually this is very possible. The other half, the devil, can certainly take someones soul away. So in a way he's being taken away from jesus or vice versa.

This is very true. Even in lateralus he speaks of parabols which are the stories that jesus used to tell to his followers.

The benevolent son part is also a big mystery to me. Once again, the "shine on upon the broken" can further illustrate my idea. He's referring to someone that has some kind of power or aura.

And most likely its lyrical trickery as someone once said. But either way, jesus is known as a light, so whether it be sun or son, it's all very symbolic.

He mentions the devil in this song a lot. He could be referring to the devil at the end. This song just reminds me of a battle. He's talking about the devil in almost every verse and then counters it with "But I..."

What do you guys think? I'm just sharing my idea whether it be right or wrong.

pa·rab·o·la Pronunciation Key (p-rb-l)
n.

A plane curve formed by the intersection of a right circular cone and a plane parallel to an element of the cone or by the locus of points equidistant from a fixed line and a fixed point not on the line.

transcend187
05-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Thank you, Jerk Off.

"Parabol" itself, however, isn't a real word and seems to be some kind of play on the title of the main song (Parabola) with "Parable". A Parable is not by any means specific to Christianity. It is a short, simple story, generally used to convey a moral, philosophical, spirtiaul, or religious lesson.

Why do so many people still think that Maynard writes Christian songs??

TheBigTool
05-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Heh, the two eyes on the packaging are STEREOSCOPIC LENSES.

Now, I'm pretty sure they have some kind of meaning as well, but they are a TOOL to see the 3D images in the booklet.

I'm guessing the meaning is something along the lines of the lens through which everyone sees the world, sort of an "open your eyes" kind of thing.

I'm no moron. You have seen the stereoscopic image of the two eyes in the case right? And that same eye design is on their intro on the website. And that same eye design is seen within the picture of all the faces.

I'm just thinking when he says Jambi Eyes maybe that is what they are. If they are used over and over they must have some extra meaning.

slamminsalmon
05-07-2006, 05:39 PM
i havent looked at the lyrics really of any of the new songs, but i think thats a good way to really form an opinion based on the music and vocals, not lyrics. but later on reading the lyrics can change a song into a completely different masterpiece.

anywho

there feels like there is a lot of apprehension and angst in this song. as for being the most somber album imo. jambi really expresses frustration and anger. the music is a little more distorted, not so pleasant and inviting as lateralus. but overall it pulls us in all the same, as vicarious says, we are all drawn to those negative aspects of life. as humans we can all relate with anger and frustation easily, for many of us they are more prominent in life than happiness, and success.

hellenkellerkarate
05-07-2006, 06:04 PM
god = jesus, light = way. therefor, jambi = twilight, god = dying, meaning, needing rebirth. i think the song is about the forgiveness of sins. opinions?

Pårȃđīǥm
05-07-2006, 06:42 PM
that just made me laugh good and long.

chunk
05-07-2006, 10:14 PM
IMHO...the song is about his son. I could be biased since I have a 5 year old son...and I would definitely "wish it all away if I thought tomorrow would take him away."

=====D~~~~~
05-08-2006, 07:23 AM
I think it's made to look like it has some religious angle and really is about his son.

escapeme
05-08-2006, 07:35 AM
IMHO...the song is about his son. I could be biased since I have a 5 year old son...and I would definitely "wish it all away if I thought tomorrow would take him away."

I have two boys myself and this was my first thought. But some friends of mine who do not have children were having a hard time thinking the same way I did and I think its because they dont know or understand that parent/child bond. It was so obvious to me because I could relate. But no matter what TOOL's meaning of the song that is what it meant to me.

soulongod
05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
How about Buddha or the idea?

EulogyCallinMe
05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
my thoughts:

http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1032178&postcount=15

acanterb
05-10-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm also a parent and my initial tough also was that is wat about his son.

I'm not a parent, but I've been listening to Ænima a lot lately and focusing on H. in particular. I can see how Jambi could be H. +10 years.

infinity13
05-11-2006, 02:18 PM
I could be trying to tie all these songs up in a bow together, but I feel Jambi ties in with wings 1&2 and could even try to tie in the pot at the same time. Without going into great depth...
Jambi I see as The final moments before his mothers death. And him finaly seeing the light and guiding him towards his mother and away from the "demons" in his life. Only to have her slip away at the end and asking for another day... I see the "breath in union" the actual end. I see 2 people trying to get through one more bad physical moment trying to keep her alive and keep his new guiding light present... then the wings as the wake and the solitude of the journey we take in that time... 10,000 days then is the funeral For some reason I have equated the heavy drum beat in here as the nails in a coffin. I'm not sure that was thier intention but I pulled that out of there. I know that most everyone here sees "pot" as its own thing... but when I heard it I thought it was a post funeral dig at "the Ghouls". I could see him go to the wake and funeral and hear all sorts of suggestions on how he should live a more pious life like his mother. As he has stated time and again the previous 2 songs they don't hold a candle to how she lived... so for them to mention how he should live would be the pot calling the kettle black....

I will slither back to the rear of the class now...

mulhollanddriven
05-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I think it's about fatherhood, about his son. It's about wishing away all of his success away if he thought he would lose his son even for a moment. Jambi referring to the genie in Pee Wee's playhouse.

My guess is that his son likes to watch Pee Wee's playhouse and likes the genie....I think Maynard is comparing himself to the genie that his son adores in that he looks at his son with those bright eyes, those eyes that would grant his son any wish, those "Jambi eyes"...and him wanting to grant his son any wish to make him happy, "damn my eyes"....always wanting to kill himself to give his son everything in life.

pawky
05-11-2006, 04:56 PM
i wonder if maynard reads any of this... it would be interesting if one of the posts was actually made by him... and then promptly discarded and overlooked by everyone

:)

Frunobulax
05-11-2006, 10:17 PM
All right, here's my take. In my opinion this song is about his mom. I'll try my best to explain this coherently. The song starts out with:

Here from / If in] the king's mountain view
[Here from / If in] the wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan, I do
On treasures and flesh never few

But I would wish it all, away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day

He describes that he has a life that is desireable but would give it up for someone. I think much of Maynard's inspiration comes from the trauma of having his mother paralyzed by a stroke while he was eleven years old. Think back to when you were that age and how you might have handled it. There's healthy ways and no so healthy ways. It would be pretty frickin tough to make sense of it. It was this event that gave him enough angst and anger to need to find a way to express it. In that sense his mother is his muse and the source of his fame and money through the need of expression. But given the fame and money means nothing at the cost he paid emotionally to come by it.

Obviously his mother was pretty religous and I'm sure Maynard's anger at "a kind and loving god" that paralyzes your mother was hard for her to take.

[Damn my eyes / Jambi!]
If they should compromise
A fulcrum
[Want and need; if I need,
/ What you need, if I leave,
/ Watching me divide me]
Then I might as well be gone...

I think Maynard is explaining that he can't look past the contradictions of christianity but believes in his experience and own opinion. To buy into the BS would be to kill or silence a part of himself that he knows isn't true or completely true or honest.

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense. Ultimately, I think is a show of love for his mother and the sacrifices that he would not have hesitated to make for her. Very altruistic even though the sufferring was worse for his mother.

Luosdasa
05-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Been said too many times, but ill lay my vote along with em, i rekon its about his son.

jmwc95
05-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Literally:

Before what is now Indonesia was colonized by the Dutch East India Company, Jambi was the site of a well-established, powerful Srivijayan kingdom that engaged in trade throughout the Strait of Malacca and beyond. It succeeded Palembang to the south, which was a frequent military and economic rival, as the later capital of the ancient kingdom. The move to Jambi was partly induced by the historic 1025 raid by pirates from the Chola region of southern India that destroyed much of Palembang.

In the early decades of the Dutch presence in the region, when the future colonizers were just one of several groups of traders competing with Brits, Chinese, Arabs, and Malays, the Jambi sultanate profitably traded pepper with the Dutch. This relationship declined by about 1770, and the sultanate had little contact with the Dutch for about sixty years.

In 1833, minor conflicts with the Dutch, who were well established in Palembang, meant the Dutch increasingly felt the need to control the actions of Jambi. They coerced Sultan Facharudin to agree to greater Dutch presence in the region and control over trade, although the sultanate remained nominally independent. In 1858 the Dutch, apparently concerned over the risk of competition for control from other foreign powers, invaded Jambi with a force from Batavia. They met little resistance, and Sultan Taha fled to the upriver, inland regions of Jambi. The Dutch installed a puppet ruler, Nazarudin, in the lower region, which included the capital city. For the next forty years Taha maintained the upriver kingdom, and slowly reextended his influence over the lower regions through political agreements and marriage connections. In 1904, however, the Dutch were stronger and, as a part of a larger campaign to consolidate control over the entire archipelago, soldiers finally managed to capture and kill Taha, and in 1906, the entire area was brought under direct colonial management.

Figuratively:

?

Warartist
05-12-2006, 02:05 PM
well, i cant say what its actually about, odviously right, but what i get from it is a war within ones self, like he's fighting away temptations that haunt any human beings life. the shit you dont need ,you know it'll fuck up all the good shit you already have but being human you've got that grass is always greener thing going on and it taunts you anyways. he'd wish it all away for the good thing he has already, he wants his own demons and desires to stop fucking with his head, stop trying mess with his life.
i'm probably off, but i dont care thats what it meens to me and i think that the most important thing is figuring out what things meen to you and doing it for yourself. i can only relate things to my life i dont know too much about maynards.

mandy

Bloody
05-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Duh, every tool song is about the meaning of life.

Warartist
05-12-2006, 02:17 PM
ya, ok...

Exegesis
05-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Word of Advice to every human on the planet:

Don't look to the bible for anything, especially for MEANING.

Thank you.

foma
05-12-2006, 02:32 PM

Thank you.
why not? once you said that i considered finally reding it :P

Warartist
05-12-2006, 02:34 PM

Thank you.

umm... who's doing that?

Warartist
05-12-2006, 02:46 PM
I think the key lies in mark chapter 5 and matthew and luke chapter 8.

oohhh, ok i found it. :)

hey can you just tell me what it says, the L.D.S. church says my free copies gonna take a while to get here.

mandy

Warartist
05-13-2006, 08:33 AM

Thank you.

so you havent typed anything else, and you didnt actually quote me so i cant be sure but i did assume since you put this here shortly after mine that you were refering to my post. if you were, i think you should fully read things befor you throw your opinion out. i didnt make refferance to any bible. jesus died for sombodies sins, just not mine.
if you werent talking about my post then i appologize.
i would like to add, that it would be silly to denie that there are religios undertones to alot of tool songs, they certainly arent christian rock but they talk about christianity here and there.
also exegesis i know you didnt say they didnt talk about it, there were a couple other posts i was reffering to about that.

guitarpete987
05-13-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty sure it's about Devo, well, moreso about raising a child when you're a rockstar.

I agree with you COMPLETELY.

"The devil and his had me down
A love of the dark side I'd found.
Dabble in all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.

But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round"

It's like he was living a certain way before he had Devo, but then he had to change his life and be more mature.

If I thought tomorrow would take you away
You're my peace of mind, my home, my center
I'm just trying to hold on
One more day"

He's just trying to live life to support him and help him grow up. He's the center of his life.

Then the shine on stuff is just pushing him to be something meaningful in his life.

It's my opinion, obviously, and it could be taken many ways, but this is what the song means to me.

Warartist
05-13-2006, 09:58 AM
i think maybe he could be talking about significant other

Warartist
05-13-2006, 03:20 PM
significant other?? anybody?

foma
05-13-2006, 04:16 PM
what's a significant other?

smeefsmeef
05-13-2006, 06:43 PM

It's an other that's significant, duh.

eddie75
05-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I second your theory McRoggles.

Those biblical verses are good for understanding the 'legion' thing, but they're far from the theme of the song. They just explain why Maynard uses the term 'legion' to describe the demons who used to 'have him down' and how he doesn't take any shit from them now.

The song (imo) is not just about how Maynard would give it all up for his son, but also about how he used to be tempted and twisted by the darker side of himself and by the temptations of the rock and roll lifestyle, but that's changed now because of his son.
I agree with this theory 100%

Warartist
05-14-2006, 09:13 AM

ya DUH!!

tuadeus
05-14-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm interested in how those of you with the theory about maynard's son reconcile the end lyrics with said theory. I'd see this as a problem for your theory as the "benevolent sun/son" asked to "shine on forever" is being directed toward "the many". What does maynard's sun have to do with "the many"? If this is the personal song that you claim than why is the end so impersonal?

My initial reaction is to think your being a bit sentimental about the whole thing (you've all admited your biases, no?). I would tend to think the more general interpretations given by the likes of Warartist (mandy?) would be the safer way to go with this one. Perhaps a bit more fruitfull as well.

Erowyn
05-15-2006, 07:30 PM
The devil and his had me down
In love with the dark side I've found
Dabblin' all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.

But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round

So I, I would wish this all away if I thought tomorrow would take you away

And the snake is drowned and as I look in his eyes, my fear begins to fade recalling all of those times. I could have cried then. I should have cried then. And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times I have died and will die. It's all right. I don't mind. I am too connected to you to slip away, to fade away. Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me.

ok now you need to look at both of these songs... they are both about devo... for starters Jambi cant be about Judith... he cant wish to give up his present life to save someone who is already gone... its not about jesus, maynard has not found his connection with God yet if he ever will nor had he found his connection with God or Jesus could anyone "take" that away from him tomorrow... but if you look at H. and Jambi he is using the same kind of language... "in love with the dark side" his extreme drug use and party life style "my fear begins to fade recalling all the times i have died" its the same concept... he was living a pretty rough life until Devo was born... and "you changed that all for me" "i still feel you touching me changing me" Jambi is about the love of his child and his love for his child saving his life... they as 2 became one Devo is the benevolent son he is the subject of Jambi...

AMF
05-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Balance; duality; equilibrium. In a nutshell, what Tool are trying to get across....could be seen as their great "message" if you choose to look at it from that perspective. That's my interpretation at least, everyone can and should find their own and what it means to them personally:) There was a phenomenal post somewhere in this sub-forum that helped me realize it, I'll try and find it again.

AMF
05-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Here:

"Nice thoughts Kabir, you've kind of confirmed my intuition/helped me crystalize my thoughts that this song is about the ancient battle between the active life of experience (which is at least one reason why we're here) which could lead to avarice and hedonism, and the quiet life of contemplation and higher knowledge which could lead to disconnection from the world and squandering the opportunity to have (self-other) experience.

I think this song is all about balance, but the singer feels that if he ended up falling into one extreme, he is more likely to fall down the avaricious path, but if he could forsee that he would rather have the life of contemplation than any of the earthly delights.

This especially makes sense towards the end of the song with the "breathe in union" and the "divided, I'm witherin' away" - the song ends trying to attain the balance and stop either path from becoming all-consuming"

This was posted by Holotrope in this thread: http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=1026606#post1026606

blackandwhite
05-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Amybe this song isn't about balance, but rather the power of division...?

AMF
05-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Amybe this song isn't about balance, but rather the power of division...?

Yes. By dealing with the theme of balance, unity, duality, etc the natural opposite comes in to play as well by itself I think. That's why the opposing viewpoints are necessary to analyze this song and Tool in general, so one can get the full spectrum of the messages presented and see how they can apply. it's very absratc at first, but becomes real once you start to understand for yourself. I really wanna do just a huge write-up on what I think about all this and try to logically organize my thoughts where it makes sense to others, maybe over the summer when there's no Chem to bog me down;)

Dredg
05-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Thankyou AMF for saving this thread...It was quite funny reading all the people pick out one line of the song and making the whole thing about Maynards child.

However I think its about POWER and the balance of ideas possesed in the concept itself. This is a song about humans being connected to material items and the pressures of letting them go. In the case of this song, the sultan (powerful person) is recognizing if he/she did not have all this wonderful treasure he/she would wish it away. Maynard is suggesting that those who have power want to keep it and those who do not have power want to get rid of it. At the end of the song maynard compromises the two view points by adding the spiritual idea of unity. The idea is that both of these ideas are really the same and really don't matter because everything is one. He then takes another stance at the end of song by giving an individualistic approach by saying "stay out of my way." Maybe even going back to idea of feasting like a sultan...

Obviously this is not about Maynards child.....

Erowyn
05-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Thankyou AMF for saving this thread...It was quite funny reading all the people pick out one line of the song and making the whole thing about Maynards child.

However I think its about POWER and the balance of ideas possesed in the concept itself. This is a song about humans being connected to material items and the pressures of letting them go. In the case of this song, the sultan (powerful person) is recognizing if he/she did not have all this wonderful treasure he/she would wish it away. Maynard is suggesting that those who have power want to keep it and those who do not have power want to get rid of it. At the end of the song maynard compromises the two view points by adding the spiritual idea of unity. The idea is that both of these ideas are really the same and really don't matter because everything is one. He then takes another stance at the end of song by giving an individualistic approach by saying "stay out of my way." Maybe even going back to idea of feasting like a sultan...

Obviously this is not about Maynards child.....

obviously you need to listen to the song again... he is not just wishing away his "power" which he never even mentions but he is wishing away his possessions and his lifestyle to SAVE SOMEONE! who would he be wishing it all away for if this were just a power struggle? i agree in the end there is a spiritual unity but it is of father and son or as others have made the argument although it is not my belief, the joining of son and mother... i will take back the statement that i made about Devo being the son... i think Maynard is asking the benevolent "sun" to shine on them and allow them to stay together and join as one... but without the idea of a person to be saving then there is a lot of this song that your neglecting to explain... so obviously you dont have all the answers

Warartist
05-18-2006, 01:11 PM
i think it might be about a person, i just dont think the person is his son or mother. i can see the other views making since also tho.

Warartist
05-18-2006, 01:15 PM
thanks tuadeus :)

Muladhara
05-18-2006, 02:44 PM
This song is a tribute to Eddie Izzard who often talks about Jam and Bees in his performances.

My girlfriend, who is a mega Izzard fan endorses this theory.

:D

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-18-2006, 02:57 PM
This song is a tribute to Eddie Izzard who often talks about Jam and Bees in his performances.

My girlfriend, who is a mega Izzard fan endorses this theory.

:D

he is feasting on cake, as he has only one choice, cake or death! more christianity refernces oh my good god!

Muladhara
05-18-2006, 03:31 PM
VIGINTI TRES IS OBVIOUSLY MARS RIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOOR!

WE SOLVED IT!

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-18-2006, 03:42 PM
OH MY GOD! you're so right! haha, i forgot bout the whle mars thing outside the door. haha. 10 000 days is like "eddie izzard : The opera"!

Erowyn
05-18-2006, 07:09 PM
YOU cake or death? "um.. Cake." Well too bad were all out of cake! "so my choice is 'or death'?... Well then I'll have the chicken"

jim39n
05-18-2006, 10:08 PM
I am also of the viewpoint that this song is not about a person. Rather Maynard lives a life of indulgances, but he would wish it all away if he thought it would take him away from God, the light, divinity, whatever you want to refer to it as. It is my opinion from studying various Tool lyrics that Maynard does believe in a benevolant higher power and this is the power he is beeseeching to "shine down till the two become one" to conquer the divide within humanity and bring us to a state of unity.

swampyfool
05-19-2006, 09:27 AM
I am also of the viewpoint that this song is not about a person. Rather Maynard lives a life of indulgances, but he would wish it all away if he thought it would take him away from God, the light, divinity, whatever you want to refer to it as. It is my opinion from studying various Tool lyrics that Maynard does believe in a benevolant higher power and this is the power he is beeseeching to "shine down till the two become one" to conquer the divide within humanity and bring us to a state of unity.

I believe that the relationship between man and god is a part of this story, but not the only one. However, I don't buy "two becom(ing)e one" to be about the divide in humanity as a whole. Humanity is a fractured species- and it is not a clean break. I just don't see Maynard oversimplifying the nature of human division, so I am more inclined to believe that he is refering to something more specific- Maynard and his mother, Maynard and Devo, Maynard and god, or even the Upper and Lower Kingdoms of provincial Jambi. I believe that Maynard is telling all of these stories simultaneously, while using each one to reference and back up the others.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-21-2006, 09:41 AM
I have just had a thort. The lyric "no pressure could hold sway or jsutify my kneeling away my centre" (thats just what i am hearing, i think some people agree, i might be wrong).
I think that maynard could be saying that despite his mothers passing and her devotion to God, he cannot let himself pray to God for her as it is against his beliefs.
So, i think that he uses the idea of the benevolant sun (i interpreted this as jahova in an earlier post, or as just a pure unaltered spirit of light and love) as something to "pray" to or look to for hope. Or even as if he is being thankful to be alive, and each new day when the sun comes up he is thankful to be alive (almost "celebrating this chance to be alive and breathing" as in prabola).

jut some thorts for you to read and if anyone has a similar interpretation i hope than can elaborate in a more eloquent (sp) way

swampyfool
05-21-2006, 09:58 AM
I have just had a thort. The lyric "no pressure could hold sway or jsutify my kneeling away my centre" (thats just what i am hearing, i think some people agree, i might be wrong).
I think that maynard could be saying that despite his mothers passing and her devotion to God, he cannot let himself pray to God for her as it is against his beliefs.
So, i think that he uses the idea of the benevolant sun (i interpreted this as jahova in an earlier post, or as just a pure unaltered spirit of light and love) as something to "pray" to or look to for hope. Or even as if he is being thankful to be alive, and each new day when the sun comes up he is thankful to be alive (almost "celebrating this chance to be alive and breathing" as in prabola).

jut some thorts for you to read and if anyone has a similar interpretation i hope than can elaborate in a more eloquent (sp) way

Totally. This one of the points of the song that I find to be particularly plural. As you have already pointed out, allegory can be drawn between "Kneeling away my center" and a practical disdain for Christian theology- as Maynard has displayed in multiple examples. I would suggest also that this same lyric could be said to represent the conflict of provincial Jambi during Dutch colonization. As Sultan Taha fled accross the river, he was faced with a choice: Surrender and swear fealty (. . . kneeling . . .) to the Dutch and give (. . . away . . .) the last of his homeland (. . . my center . . .) to an invading force, or divide his kingdom and hold on to what little he had left for as long as he could. Sultan Taha opted for the latter, possibly thinking that no pressure could hold sway, or justify his kneeling away his center. I believe that Maynard is telling us stories of personal struggle interlaced with epic historical tragedies in order to liken the grandiose to the insignificant, and symbolically unite the polar differences of the world.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Totally. This one of the points of the song that I find to be particularly plural. As you have already pointed out, allegory can be drawn between "Kneeling away my center" and a practical disdain for Christian theology- as Maynard has displayed in multiple examples. I would suggest also that this same lyric could be said to represent the conflict of provincial Jambi during Dutch colonization. As Sultan Taha fled accross the river, he was faced with a choice: Surrender and swear fealty (. . . kneeling . . .) to the Dutch and give (. . . away . . .) the last of his homeland (. . . my center . . .) to an invading force, or divide his kingdom and hold on to what little he had left for as long as he could. Sultan Taha opted for the latter, possibly thinking that no pressure could hold sway, or justify his kneeling away his center. I believe that Maynard is telling us stories of personal struggle interlaced with epic historical tragedies in order to liken the grandiose to the insignificant, and symbolically unite the polar differences of the world.

woah. Nice elaboration. Was i slow in picking that point up?
The centre i was refering to was his spirituality taht clearly transcends religious boundries
All this centre stuff takes me back to the whle fulcrum thing. A fulcrum is either a point of support or like a pivot. So a pivot is like a central point of balance, so is the whole "compromise our fulcrum" part related to "kneelig away his centre"?
To compromise the fulcrum is to compromise his centre, so why would he damn his eyes because of this?
Its posisble that hes using "eyes are the gateway to the soul" thing. Perhaps more disain at christian theology? IF his eyes are showing him Gods work (from his motheres beliefs, and taht she is finally in heaven) he is afraid that his beliefs might change? Or perhaps he is somehow scared of death? expressing his mortal fears?

swampyfool
05-21-2006, 10:28 AM
woah. Nice elaboration. Was i slow in picking that point up?
The centre i was refering to was his spirituality taht clearly transcends religious boundries
All this centre stuff takes me back to the whle fulcrum thing. A fulcrum is either a point of support or like a pivot. So a pivot is like a central point of balance, so is the whole "compromise our fulcrum" part related to "kneelig away his centre"?
To compromise the fulcrum is to compromise his centre, so why would he damn his eyes because of this?
Its posisble that hes using "eyes are the gateway to the soul" thing. Perhaps more disain at christian theology? IF his eyes are showing him Gods work (from his motheres beliefs, and taht she is finally in heaven) he is afraid that his beliefs might change? Or perhaps he is somehow scared of death? expressing his mortal fears?

I get your rationale that the "fulcrum" and the "center" are varied iterations of the same central idea. The fulcrum is the center that holds all related objects in ballance, and thus the integrity of the fulcrum cannot be compromised without dire reprecussions. To me, anyway, compromising one's fulcrum is an inherently bad thing, so it makes sense that he would damn/dim/jam his eyes if they should compromise his fulcrum.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I get your rationale that the "fulcrum" and the "center" are varied iterations of the same central idea. The fulcrum is the center that holds all related objects in ballance, and thus the integrity of the fulcrum cannot be compromised without dire reprecussions. To me, anyway, compromising one's fulcrum is an inherently bad thing, so it makes sense that he would damn/dim/jam his eyes if they should compromise his fulcrum.

so were agreed then? its about divison and therefore unity, personal and on a grander scale with reference to the TV genie?

swampyfool
05-21-2006, 11:39 AM
so were agreed then? its about divison and therefore unity, personal and on a grander scale with reference to the TV genie?

I think that the reference to the TV Genie is only incidental, but it is possible. I really do want to know if Paul Reubens (PeeWee) chose the name Jambi the genie for any deeper reason than "it sounds funny."

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-21-2006, 11:45 AM
me too. i was kinda joking bout the genie. lol. would be nice to know tho.
ur a very insifgtful person. do u do a lot of research?

swampyfool
05-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Not ussusally, but when the spirit moves me, I do.

Terry21
05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
I think this song is about relationship. The benevolent son is cupid.

[/tools carreer]

jim39n
05-24-2006, 09:30 PM
I believe that the relationship between man and god is a part of this story, but not the only one. However, I don't buy "two becom(ing)e one" to be about the divide in humanity as a whole. Humanity is a fractured species- and it is not a clean break. I just don't see Maynard oversimplifying the nature of human division, so I am more inclined to believe that he is refering to something more specific- Maynard and his mother, Maynard and Devo, Maynard and god, or even the Upper and Lower Kingdoms of provincial Jambi. I believe that Maynard is telling all of these stories simultaneously, while using each one to reference and back up the others.

i agree, instead of "divide within humanity" i should have said the "rift between humanity and divinity" as more acurately sums up my feeling of his meaning.

i also agree with the above statement that you are indeed an insiteful person and i would have to say that your third eye had deffinetly been sucessfully pried open

swampyfool
05-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Well jeez, guys thanks. Fistfuls of acid, ingested with confidence, wil do that for ya (pry that ignored eye open). Just make damn well sure that the shit is clean and that you KNOW it will all be alright at the end of the night.

As for the rift between humanity and divinity, I believe that rift to be internalized within every one of us. We are all gods in our own right. We create our own realities and then we decide how to interact with them. Christ said (something like) "The way to the kingdom of heaven is through me." He acknowledges the divinity of every person, and points out that all we need do to make a better collective reality is act selflessly, as does he. When I stop to think about it, I really hate the legacy that dominant, oppressive empires have created for the man that was Jesus Christ. It's like Gandhi said, "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

jquag
05-25-2006, 06:29 PM
The song is about his son, and that he is the most important thing in his life. He would give up everything if he had to choose between his son and ANYTHING else. all the other lyrics are for the flow of the song. Don't dig too deep, you might find something you're not ready to see.

swampyfool
05-25-2006, 07:39 PM
The song is about his son, and that he is the most important thing in his life. He would give up everything if he had to choose between his son and ANYTHING else. all the other lyrics are for the flow of the song. Don't dig too deep, you might find something you're not ready to see.
That's super simplistic. And I love what I find when I dig deep. Especially with Tool; they always leave the most complex treasures buried beneath layers of meaning and emotion.

smeefsmeef
06-12-2006, 07:36 PM
It's about antidisestablishmentarianism >duh<

smeefsmeef
06-12-2006, 07:45 PM

swampyfool
06-12-2006, 07:59 PM

smeefsmeef
06-12-2006, 08:10 PM
you got it!!!!

swampyfool
06-12-2006, 09:08 PM

ThePatient666
06-13-2006, 06:23 AM
I think Maynard's singing about his vinyard, and how he wants it to prosper. "breathe in union" etc...

swampyfool
06-13-2006, 07:25 AM
It's an American euphamism for boyfriend or girlfriend.

swampyfool
06-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Did it ever occur to you guys that this guy (being from Rome) doesn't speak English as a first language, and may not be privy to our idiomatic subtexts?

Naga Royal Guard
06-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Did it ever occur to you guys that this guy (being from Rome) doesn't speak English as a first language, and may not be privy to our idiomatic subtexts?
it happens alot not only here; but on any forum with a dominant language

swampyfool
06-13-2006, 11:17 PM
it happens alot not only here; but on any forum with a dominant language
. . . doesn't make it OK . . .

JOK3R
06-14-2006, 04:23 AM
why not?

swampyfool
06-14-2006, 06:49 AM
why not?
Because dominant paradigms suck.

Terry21
06-14-2006, 01:34 PM
I guess the song is about Maynards Ding Dong.

swampyfool
06-14-2006, 02:44 PM
I guess the song is about Maynards Ding Dong.
I was thinking more along the lies of a HoHo, or a SnoBall.

Warartist
06-15-2006, 05:48 PM

Nope I can honestly say that this did not occur to me at all... I thought he was being sarcastic.
Foma, were you being sarcastic?
Sorry if you weren't. guess I'll start checking on profiles be for I assume something that seems to be very obvious to me.

swampyfool
06-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Nope I can honestly say that this did not occur to me at all... I thought he was being sarcastic.
Foma, were you being sarcastic?
Sorry if you weren't. guess I'll start checking on profiles be for I assume something that seems to be very obvious to me.
Alright! The bigger man- er- woman.

wetsprockets
06-15-2006, 07:15 PM
I think this song has more of a Buddhist bent. That is, the whole dividing element could be related to dividing yourself from "GOD", which, without meditation apparently happens very readily. The "feasting" and what-not could be reference to daily indulgences/desires which get in the way of uniting with the essence of life (read: GOD). This would make sense in light of the "Damn my eyes" component (as in - I wish I wasn't seeing all this shit [T.V., Billboards, sexy women/men, bad-ass guitars, etc] that made me lose sight of what's really important). The "benevolent sun" part could be a reference to the pure and eternal nature of energy which is, as I understand it, an important part of Buddhist though. This may also be consistent with lyrics from the Lateralus album

choosing to be here right now
We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion.

over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Black then white are all I see in my infancy (before enlightenment you may see the world in black and white, that is, without the subtelties or true nature of being. i.e. Nature is not black and white)

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in (space between sounds!)

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late

And you will come to find that we are all one mind

Just let the light touch you

So, in those few lines you have discussions of light touching you, seperating the body from the mind due to ego interference (which I think is the whole point of meditating), time (or the non-existence of time), and generally tapping into that flow which is so fucking hard sometimes. Anyhow, I've been noticing a lot of similaritiy in lyrical content in this respect. Just a thought.

Warartist
06-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Alright! The bigger man- er- woman.

Woman :)

goatboy_is_displeased
06-18-2006, 04:57 AM
I love your interpretations Edward and Successfullypriedopen!!! I can't really relate to the theory that this song is about Maynard's son. (not that it couldn't be) but this seems to make more sense. I was raised christian and though i have since rejected it, I can't fully disregard spirituality. I like the idea of a benign force smiling down upon us rather than the old testament god smiting everybody.

Terry21
06-18-2006, 06:55 AM
It's an American euphamism for boyfriend or girlfriend.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they called this song "Significant Other"? I absolutely would've thrown the album in my waste bin.

swampyfool
06-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome if they called this song "Significant Other"? I absolutely would've thrown the album in my waste bin.
Well that would've been silly of you.

ArizonaBay
06-18-2006, 01:48 PM

What like James Joyce? Pretentious is not the word lol (not you, but Maynard). In regards to the ambiguity of what Maynard is desperate not to lose in this song I dont think there is a specific thing. I think its how people need a centre to their world to cling onto, to oreintate themselves in the world, but as we know Tool have always told us to let go and this theme that continues on this album in terms off loss and mourning. So yeah i agree.

ArizonaBay
06-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Bingo.... The key is the word fulcrum. Fulcrum is the fixed point at the top of a pendulum, ok stay with me on this... ive just been reading Faucaults pendulum which Blair has mentioned a few times on toolband. Now the significant thing about the pendulums fulcrum is that it is a permanently fixed point, as the world turns the point remains static - the one fixed point in the universe which is used as a metaphor for the belief at the centre of your world whatever it is that gives you a sense of fixed purpose amongst the chaos. The problem is, explains one of the characters is that the pendulum is a false prophet, its still up to you where to hang it whether in a church or a brophel the point still remnains fixed.

Ok dont take the book reference to literally ive no doubt that tool has heard of the actual Faucaults Pendulum and its meaning however due to its Templar connections and we all know they love that stuff, This song is about finding where to hang your pendulum that one thing that you would wish everything away for. However the reason we are so divided is that we hang or pendulums in different places (have conflicting beliefs). So we have to 'kneel away my centre' and place a single pendulum for all (breathe in union) and so become one and survive another day and season etc.

Ok thats one theme in this song figured out. Now can anyone work out why legion is mentioned?

jovem
06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone addressed the fact that there are 2 (at least to me) seemingly separate and independent themes in this song, separated by the guitar solo? They must be connected, but I don't see how. How does the person/thing he would wish all his opulence away for if that person was to be gone for just one day relate to the shining of the benevolent sun (son?) that will make the 2 become 1/ bring the severed together? I don't think that's devo. Unless he thinks devo will bring Maynard back to Devo's mom....

Warartist
06-22-2006, 05:35 AM

That would be kind of...... Stupid..

calendor
06-22-2006, 09:58 AM
I think the song would fall into place if there was a definite answer about who "you" is in it. I've read a few theories, I really do think the "son" is "sun", it just works way better. Maybe something official will come out...

Yep. Makes more sense with "Sun".

calendor
06-22-2006, 11:00 AM
http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1046934&postcount=53

I would love to see this on The History Channel. Also I think this justifies the mood and initial setting for Jambi... at least in a musical way.

swink49
06-23-2006, 07:21 AM
One more tangent.
Any chance this song wraps up "Jimmy" on Aenima? Towards the end of Jimmy, there is this line:

I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together.

It feels like he has found a way to heal his pain through "Wings" and "10,000 Days". Maybe now:

"Shine [on 'til / until] the two become one"
"Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season"

Could it be his son and his mother's passing have allowed him to go back and keep that promise he made to himself as 11 in "Jimmy"?

EulogyCallinMe
06-23-2006, 07:38 AM
hahaha yeah...
i dont know why super overly nerdy and lame stuff like this makes me laugh, but it does. and i wouldnt want it any other way.

EulogyCallinMe
07-13-2006, 11:40 AM
ok so this song is either about nothing at all...
or like 4 subjects simultaneously. man this maynard guy is good...

tyxlc
07-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Not Jesus, I think.

Aside from the fact that Maynard is VERY unlikely to... accept a dogmatic religion.... there are aspects of the song that point to it being about a tangible, mortal person in his life. For instance,

But I think it makes a lot of sense when applied to his son.

The parts that really bewilder me are the references to "benevolent sun" (and it could be a double meaning with sun and son, but a) I don't think its Jesus, and b) I don't see how his son could be called benevolent...).

"So, as one, survive
Another day and season

He's definitely not telling non-believers to stay out of his way. That'd be a complete contradiction of everything he seems to believe in.

Some holes in your argument: you have no idea what maynard is likely to do or not to do.

you have overlooked some possibilities.

i think the song could be about three people and groups of people (using "people" loosely) . His mom (who they might take away), Jesus (benevolent son) and demons (legion, and the last stanza). Makes sense as far as i can tell. but maybe not true either.

tyxlc
07-18-2006, 10:54 PM

did someone already mention that the line about damning his eyes is possibly a reference to Jesus' teaching that if your left eye offends you pluck it out, because it is better to enter heaven with one eye than spend an eternity in hell.?

Randall
07-18-2006, 11:00 PM
THis song is obviously about Pee-wees Genie Jambi, the man behind the box, beautiful

I realize someone brought this about in a review, its Jambi though, he will wish it all away