PDA

View Full Version : prying open my third eye

astaroth
11-23-2002, 11:04 AM
The lyrics suggest a weird and bitter childhood. It seems to suggest that some recent events have led him to remember his childhood, whether it be drugs or his son Devo. This is how his third eye is pryed open. He sees the the person who hurt him as a child as a demon that has a bright blue face that shimmers and grins at him and has three eyes. The fact that he says three warm and wild eyes suggests that this was someone he was familiar with from birth as you feel warm about them. The person then treats him like dirt (read up on some of the stories of Maynards childhood, but don't take it as gospel.) and basically sends him down that downward spiral which is that hole. He then goes into a scream saying MY EYES which would suggest that no one will really know what happened because they haven't seen it through Maynards eyes. Then there is a silence from Maynard which would be suggestive of him reflecting,preparing himself for releasing more of his emotions. He then comes back into the song with a mantra saying In, out over and over- showing that throughout his life he will always keep slipping in and out of his memories of his childhood.
A child's rhyme stuck in my head.
It said that life is but a dream.
I've spent so many years in question
to find I've known this all along.

this bit suggests that although he holds alot of bitterness about what has happened he is also glad that it happened because he knows that it has made him the person he is and that when he dies, and goes onto the next world, it will all seem like a dream- like in the childs rhyme row,row, row your boat (merrily, merrily. merrily life is but a dream.) Then he snaps back into his past.

"So good to see you.
I've missed you so much.
So glad it's over.
I've missed you so much
Came out to watch you play.
Why are you running?"

He sees Devo (don't quote me, I said this is my own interpretation) as he saw himself as a child. Young and innocent. Then he realises that the past he had he cannot change and hopes that Devo doesn't have the life he has had. It shows a great fatherly love, even if you have to read between the lines.

the rest of the song is pretty self explanitry if you've read what i've said. I'd be interested to see what others have to say.

cheers, Astaroth