PDA

View Full Version : Talkbox

smeefsmeef
05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
How does it work? Is Adam speaking into some kind of strange microphone, or is it totally gutair-related (with pedals)? I may be ignorant when it comes to the Talk-Box, but seriously, how does it work?

Arsenal
05-03-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just a pedal that's supposed to make the guitar sound like it's "talking".

RetroVertigoism
05-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Half right, Its a guitar effect pedal that has a hose attached to it and you put the opposite end in your mouth and use your voice for modulation.

carefreeonmorph
05-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Actually if you read Adam's interview in guitar world he talks about how he had a pedal custom made for this song. It's all pedal effect. A rather awesome one at that.

imatoolhed
05-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Sorry, your all wrong.

It's a tube type of device you blow into, then it's processed to sound.

Invented by Peter Frampton ( song-show me the way)

Joe walsh also used it, as well as mick mars.

Requiem087
05-03-2006, 07:35 PM
If that is entirely a pedal, then that is one hell of a pedal.

As said before, the sound from the guitar is amplified through a tube that is usually strapped next to a microphone. Then, the guitarist shapes her/his mouth around the tube in to get the various tones you hear. You can sort of get the idea by sounding out a note and just shaping your mouth in a variety of ways.

I think that's right, at least...

Draith
05-04-2006, 10:50 AM
"A talk box works by producing an amplified sound with a horn driver, usually a guitar, directing the sound through a tube. The tube is typically taped to the side of a microphone, extending enough to be placed in or near the performer's mouth. The performer then "shapes" the sound by opening or closing their mouth. The performer can also mouth words, with the resulting effect sounding as though the instrument is speaking. This "shaped" sound exits the performer's mouth, and when it enters a microphone, the instrument/voice hybrid is heard."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_box

carefreeonmorph
05-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Well fuckin boo... you guys need to read the guitar world interview with Adam. It's misleading... sorry for giving wrong info guys.

SuperSteve
05-04-2006, 11:38 AM
This site also explains it very well.

http://www.blamepro.com/talkbox.htm

MarcDrums
05-04-2006, 12:39 PM
"A talk box works by producing an amplified sound with a horn driver, usually a guitar, directing the sound through a tube. The tube is typically taped to the side of a microphone, extending enough to be placed in or near the performer's mouth. The performer then "shapes" the sound by opening or closing their mouth. The performer can also mouth words, with the resulting effect sounding as though the instrument is speaking. This "shaped" sound exits the performer's mouth, and when it enters a microphone, the instrument/voice hybrid is heard."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_box
i need one

parabol4
05-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Ya the talkbox solo is awesome... Makes it a great live song.

identitat soldat
05-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Yeah, half of the device is a tube that goes into your mouth, and you use your mouth to shape the sound of the guitar. I've heard that Peter - whatever song on the radio where the main line is "do you feel like we do". He usues the talk box to say it over and over, and it sounds like the guitar is speaking. Pretty sweet.

But yeah, it's NOT just a pedal.

Tathagata
05-04-2006, 04:29 PM
isn't technology fantastic sometimes?

the_incunabula
05-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Sorry, your all wrong.

The talk box was invented by Bob Heil invented it for Frampton, not by Frampton. And you dont blow into it to make it work. You just change the shape of your mouth and the sound modulates.

I have a dunlop heil talk-box for my guitar.

third_eye77
05-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Half right, Its a guitar effect pedal that has a hose attached to it and you put the opposite end in your mouth and use your voice for modulation.
This guy had it right from the beginning.

Oberon
05-05-2006, 06:34 AM
I just want to point out that a talk box is different from most guitar effects in that it does not change the signal then send the signal back out to the amplifier. The talk box channels the sound through the tube where it is then picked up by a microphone.

third_eye77
05-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Talkbox sends the modulation created by your mouth through the effects pedal and through the amp. Not sure what you mean, Oberon??

Oberon
05-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Talkbox sends the modulation created by your mouth through the effects pedal and through the amp. Not sure what you mean, Oberon??

?? really?? not the talk box i played through. I assumed all of them were like the one i used? how the hell does it work if it doesn't get picked up by the mic?

pSYCHOtHErAPIST
05-05-2006, 07:49 AM
DO YOU FEEEEEEEEEEL!?

DO YOU FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!?

LIKE I DO!?

That's alright.
That's alright ,
feel fine.

----Frampton's Guitar

third_eye77
05-05-2006, 08:33 AM
?? really?? not the talk box i played through. I assumed all of them were like the one i used? how the hell does it work if it doesn't get picked up by the mic?
Ummmm...my bad..I think you may be right on that. I thought it got processed through a pre-amp in the effects pedal, but I think I might be wrong.

Alucard II
05-06-2006, 04:39 AM
Sorry, your all wrong.

wrong again. the tube is always attached to a microphone. when you play your guitar, the signal enters the pedal, gets amplified, and that amplified SOUND is sent up through the tube. you place your mouth at the other end of the tube, and modulate the sound with your mouth. for example, if you mouth the words "wah wah" with your mouth, it'll sound like a wah pedal. you make no noise, you just manipulate the flow of soundwaves with your mouth, and the microphone picks it up and voila, you have your talkbox sound.

you do NOT blow into it. if you mouth words, it will make the guitar sound like its talking, hence the name.

EDIT: dammit, Draith said everythin first. also, talkboxes arent that difficult or expensive to build yourself; its on my to-do list!

2and46
05-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Sorry, your all wrong.

Anything Mick Mars can utilize must not be that difficult. By the way...Jambi talkbox moment maybe the highlight of the album. Fucking bad-ass.

Matt8
05-06-2006, 10:27 AM
its strictly pedal action. no actual talk box but just a pedal with the same effect.

carefreeonmorph
05-06-2006, 05:11 PM
I saw the guitarist of Coheed and Cambria use a talkbox effect last night in KC. And I'm gonna see TOOL THIS THURSDAY!!! It is just them w/ no opening band... I wonder how long they're going to play for??? anyone??????

turok2step
05-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah Adam's guitar world interview mentions a modified talkbox. From hearing it, all it sounds like is just a moved over different frequencies with different resonance values. He could do this with two expression pedals, one for cutoff frequency and one for resonance.

And I really dislike the talkbox solo in this song. Right as the song gets into the groove of the breakdown, Adam ruins it with this annoying, tinny talkbox sound.

livid star
05-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Someone should try to get a picture of Adam doing this live, if possible.

Dr. Apendecto
05-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah Adam's guitar world interview mentions a modified talkbox. From hearing it, all it sounds like is just a moved over different frequencies with different resonance values. He could do this with two expression pedals, one for cutoff frequency and one for resonance.

And I really dislike the talkbox solo in this song. Right as the song gets into the groove of the breakdown, Adam ruins it with this annoying, tinny talkbox sound.

I agree. Horrible.

Yo.

CaseLogic
05-09-2006, 10:50 PM
its strictly pedal action. no actual talk box but just a pedal with the same effect.

Nope, it has the tube.

tidewell
05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
DO YOU FEEEEEEEEEEL!?

DO YOU FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!?

LIKE I DO!?

That's alright.
That's alright ,
feel fine.

----Frampton's Guitar

I think Adam should do all of his interviews from now on just communicating through a talk box!!

...and of course do a Frampton intro live - "Do you JAAAAAAAAMBI?"

:)

Jon08
05-20-2006, 03:18 PM
i actually heard that Justin plays this part live. can anyone verify?

Jon08
05-21-2006, 02:17 PM
i was think about my previous comment, and i've come to the conclusion that the person was confusing this solo with the bass part about 4 minutes into the pot. obviously justin would not play this part live.

MisterMudd
05-21-2006, 04:12 PM
i need one

I have one, and they can be pretty uncomfortable. It is like having the inside of your mouth blasted with air and vibrations. Not to mention you can build up quite a bit of saliva in a short period of time.

I still dont know how Peter Frampton could stand it for entire shows.

bradpeterson
05-21-2006, 06:41 PM
i actually heard that Justin plays this part live. can anyone verify?

Adam does.

BlanketEffect
05-21-2006, 08:29 PM

I totally agree. Let me qualify this by saying that until Jambi I had never heard an Adam Jones riff or idea that I've disliked. At the very worst I've felt luke-warm to a few riffs, but in general he's a fucking creative genius.

Talk box solo = total poop, though. The effect is really cool and had he just stuck to doing what Adam does best (apparently) and used it to make cool sounds its role would have been fulfilled.

Adam, you're a genius and the strongest guitar influence I have right now. You're not a lead guitarist. Stick to what your good at... at least when it comes to the one CD you'll release for the next x years. If you want to experiment with leads, pick a better effect than shrill, tin-can distortion.

smirk
05-23-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm wondering what the breaking glass sound is in the middle of the solo. Don't know the exact time but it's in the mid part of it between phrases.

swampyfool
05-23-2006, 08:27 AM
I have one, and they can be pretty uncomfortable. It is like having the inside of your mouth blasted with air and vibrations. Not to mention you can build up quite a bit of saliva in a short period of time.

I still dont know how Peter Frampton could stand it for entire shows.

That's the difference between rockstars and wannabes . . . DEDICATION!

(Don't take me seriously here, I'm not.)

"IS WAYNE BRADY GONNA HAVE TO CHOKE A BITCH?!?"

Warartist
05-23-2006, 10:57 AM
i don't know if someone said this already but the talk box can be used with different instruments to, it's pretty sweet with a keyboard.

mandy

Warartist
05-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Oh and they have them on display at guitar center. you can play with it for FREE!!!:)

M.

StereoScopicLenses
05-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Actually if you read Adam's interview in guitar world he talks about how he had a pedal custom made for this song. It's all pedal effect. A rather awesome one at that.

In that article he is talking about a different pedal. He has more than one pedal you know!? I've seen a talk box and bands use it before. You gotta use your mouth and the guitar. I think in the Guitar World article he is talking about a volume pedal that he uses for clean and distortion. Rather than having just a distortion pedal that cuts in and out, his was made so he can play soft and it sounds clean and the harder he picks the strings the more distorted it sounds. So there is a smooth transition to distortion and clean parts.

Schwann
05-24-2006, 06:01 AM
I honestly don't care how the sound is achieved because it is awesome! If he has to give a plastic tube some head to get that sound, well then so be it. Jambi live is infuckingcredible! Chicago's talkbox solo was the best so far, by the way....

ladder_alice_11
05-24-2006, 06:37 AM
Oh and they have them on display at guitar center. you can play with it for FREE!!!:)

M.

Yes because I really want to suck on a tube that an entire cities worth of people have sucked on...

swampyfool
05-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Yes because I really want to suck on a tube that an entire cities worth of people have sucked on...
Once agian, it all comes down to DEDICATION . . .