PDA

View Full Version : Reminds me of work...

MisterMudd
05-03-2006, 01:07 PM
The first time I had the opportunity to listen to this song for the sheer purpose of examining it's lyrical content, I was stunned. I was completely able to relate to the lyrics in this song, and I have never heard a more rational/realistic view of the morbid curiousity of humans in general.

The reason I relate so well is, in part, because of my occupation. I am a paramedic in Kern County, California. As I talk casually to members of the public, many of them make statements such as: "I could never do that, you have to see so much" or "I couldn't handle the things I would have to see". But statements like these are usually followed up with the famous (in my industry) question: "What is the worst thing you have ever seen?". And I am sure it comes as no surprise that these same people who tell me how they couldn't hand this, want only the most detailed accounts of my worst calls that I only wish I never had to relive.

It is not unlike working a bad accident on the freeway. You get traffic caused by lookie-loo drivers with a line of people behind them honking, and most likely thinking to themselves that the behavior of the lookie-loo is unacceptable, but when it comes their turn to pass by, they hit the brakes, and turn their neck the 90 degrees in oredr to get the best possible view or any potential tragedy.

I find myself doing the same thing when I am in one of those cars held up in traffic. Almost, if not completely, hypocritical. I have found myself examining this behavior in people for a long time now, and I was very pleasantly surprised when I heard this song.

I am sorry that all I merely did was state the obvious in my interpretation, but I had to share.