PDA

View Full Version : Why not about weed?

The_Librarian
05-03-2006, 11:54 AM
The dominant opinion in this forum seems to be that this song _has_ to have a different meaning than the most obvious. Well, I dare to disagree. Sure, it's double entende (the pot calling the kettle back), but on another level.
The notion that Tool would bash _any_ kind of drug use is, offcourse, absurd - but that's the point. Let me explain: My theory is that it's not about pot per se, but rather a certain breed of stoners. The kind of people who think that they, and they alone, have found some kind of enlightment with pot , and then go on to "elevate" themselves to some sort of higher beings. Constanly stating that *their* drug is the best there is, totaly safe and harmles. To them, all the other drugs, and their users, are just some weak zombies and should be prosecuted. I.e., they take up the position that society, as a whole, holds against them.
So, yeah, it's about hypocrisy. But the literal reading works quite well for me.

Wonko The Sane
05-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Interesting, but I prefer to think of it as the pot calling the kettle black, from the unique perspective of the kettle.

Alcawhorlick
05-03-2006, 01:14 PM
I like the pot/alcohol idea.
seems to work for me.
throw in a little Rush Limbaugh out of his mind on illicit prescription drugs while ranting about jerry garcia as "another dead doper" for good measure.

Xariable
05-03-2006, 02:24 PM
The dominant opinion in this forum seems to be that this song _has_ to have a different meaning than the most obvious. Well, I dare to disagree. Sure, it's double entende (the pot calling the kettle back), but on another level.
The notion that Tool would bash _any_ kind of drug use is, offcourse, absurd - but that's the point. Let me explain: My theory is that it's not about pot per se, but rather a certain breed of stoners. The kind of people who think that they, and they alone, have found some kind of enlightment with pot , and then go on to "elevate" themselves to some sort of higher beings. Constanly stating that *their* drug is the best there is, totaly safe and harmles. To them, all the other drugs, and their users, are just some weak zombies and should be prosecuted. I.e., they take up the position that society, as a whole, holds against them.
So, yeah, it's about hypocrisy. But the literal reading works quite well for me.

A lot of people love how Tool songs can have double meanings (AEnima, Pushit, Opiate, etc.) But I guess if it's too obvious, or not esoteric enough then it doesn't fit their view. I hear weed, hypocrisy, and nasty lawyers.