PDA

View Full Version : WTF is Danny catching in the skull....

Supergroup
05-03-2006, 05:07 AM
and how did they do it? This has been a heated discussion in my local TOOL support group. I was wondering what you guys think.

I think it is an actual spirit that Danny conjured from the vessel in the back of the room and ordered it into the skull. Others in my support group believe it is photoshop... to which I respond, "You must be able to conjure demons and spirits to play like that... and I would like to have that release of photoshop"

Anyone?

Convoy_X
05-03-2006, 05:13 AM
Photoshop, maybe, more likely somethig like photoshop only for pros.

MorfiusX
05-03-2006, 06:42 AM
It probably more than one image that were combined in something like Photoshop. The streak effect is easily achieved with any decent camera using a long shutter speed. To me, it almost looks like a lighter. I would say that it was lit in the forground and faded as they moved it to the background. After that was done, they layered it in with the rest. You can see a similar layering technique in the picture of Maynard with the mirror and what not.

Jughead
05-03-2006, 06:42 AM
possibly some sort of prolonged exposure?

eonphi
05-03-2006, 07:40 AM
it looks good anyway

GaminCoda
05-03-2006, 07:44 AM
it looks like someone moved a lightbulb on a string with a really slow shutter speed.

so0l
05-03-2006, 08:19 AM
and I would like to have that release of photoshop

you can do anything with photoshop

peolesdru
05-03-2006, 09:17 AM
I agree - you could get that effect by using dim lighting and a prolonged shutter speed on the double(stereo) camera. Then you don't have to figure out after the fact how to get the streak to be offset the correct amount to be 3D.

khemystri
05-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Its done in 3DSMAX.... The shape is modeled in 3D... and the TWO virtual cameras are placed in the scene to mimic the physical camera rig.

The two 3D renderings are then photoshopped into their respective image.
Heres two new images I made yesterday in 3DSMAX...

http://home.comcast.net/~khemystri/lateralus-stereo.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~khemystri/grey1-stereo.jpg

o00mega00
05-03-2006, 11:20 AM
long shutter exposure in a darker environment by moving any sort of light source, superemposed over the photo of danny during actuall enlargment exposure. its not really that difficult, its putting it into an interesting context that makes it work. as in this photo, it reminds me of alchemy, and the unleashing of the natural forces and properties of the earth, once you understand how to effectively harness them.

Johnny Truant
05-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Maybe he's releasing it from the skull.......

Supergroup
05-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Logic says you are right.... especially the guy with the 3DSMAX (I work with that program as well as FormZ, so I know what you are saying.)

I still say it's a real spirit or entity... Danny's page is my favorite.