PDA

View Full Version : Burnin' For You.

Lantern Bearer
05-03-2006, 12:09 AM
When I first heard this song, Blue Oyster Cult's "Burnin' For You" came to mind.

Not that the two songs are musically similar or anything, it's just that both of these songs seem to radiate a certain menace hidden within its structure (maybe 'menace' isn't the word I'm looking for). In Burnin' I got the sense that the song was like an admission to the group's selling themselves to the devil to play their music with the proficiency and creativity they possessed ("I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due, and I'm burnin', I'm burnin', I'm burnin' for you).

In Jambi, especially after reading the lyrics, they seemed similar.

"The devil and his has me down, in love with the dark side I've found
Dabblin' all the way down, up to my neck soon to drown"

Maynard, in whatever perspective he sings in, talks of dreams coming true, feasting like a sultan, and the like. If a 'deal with the devil' is involved, the one he would wish all of that away for, his piece of mind, could very well be his soul, and this song is the realization that he would choose his soul over the delights of being a rock star.

Of course, this could very well be a metaphor for 'selling out,' something Tool discussed before in Hooker With a Penis more defiantly, though this seems to be a more reflective approach to it.

Any thoughts?