Maynard is not human.

Oberon
05-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Maynard is not human.

he's not that great of a singer

usa4jer
05-03-2006, 10:16 AM
I disagree. I think over the course of his career in both Tool and APC he's shown incredible range and talent. He hasn't been afraid to try different things with his voice, but I'd take him over the idiots in Blink 182 any day. Not that that's even a fair comparison, but you get my point. He can make his voice sublime and beautiful or harsh and agonizingly powerful. More importantly, he usually knows when to use the different sounds so they serve the rest of the music as best they can. I think he's one of the best rock singers in the world.

But that's just one man's opinion I guess.

heavilysed8d
05-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I disagree. I think over the course of his career in both Tool and APC he's shown incredible range and talent. He hasn't been afraid to try different things with his voice, but I'd take him over the idiots in Blink 182 any day. Not that that's even a fair comparison, but you get my point. He can make his voice sublime and beautiful or harsh and agonizingly powerful. More importantly, he usually knows when to use the different sounds so they serve the rest of the music as best they can. I think he's one of the best rock singers in the world.

But that's just one man's opinion I guess.

make that 2.... couldn't have said it better myself!!

resonance.
05-03-2006, 06:04 PM
It's too bad he can't maintain live.

Liam
05-03-2006, 06:09 PM
such as his piss poor attempt at ticks & leeches.

mrmoopy33
05-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Well it varies to more support the music, I mean, can you imagine Hooker With a Penis using a soft sounding voice rather than an etchy one?

fletch
05-03-2006, 07:16 PM

He's 42....cut him some slack

Kjac18
05-03-2006, 07:48 PM
"If you don't love Maynards voice, then you just don't love rock music" and you should go put on you bubble gum chewing, pepsi selling, "suckers of satans cock"

Azathoth23
05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Maynards one of the best lead singers ever. As a person mentioned earlier he is 42. He may not sing quite the same way he used to but he is still one of the best. And im sure after a few shows hell get back into the swing of things and still howl with the best of them. mike Patton is the only other singer out there that holds a candle to him as far as im concerned.

macfreak
05-03-2006, 07:57 PM
what is wrong with all of u? something, dunno what it is but im gonna find it!!

bales
05-03-2006, 08:44 PM
hey, he's no arethra franklin.

what puts him above the rest is the way he sings. as in vicarious, he doesn't go all out until the end, the crescendo. he builds up through out the song to that moment. and that makes it all the more powerful.

this is ilustrated better then ever in 10,000 days. he begins low and slow, behind the music and very baritone. he slowly picks up pace and sings higher. by the time he gets to 'give me my wings' he is screaming. its brilliant work.. if you have an attention span that is.

systematic
05-03-2006, 08:57 PM

Have you actually ever listened to this song? If you had you would know that the very first vocals in this song are Maynards 12 sec. scream. Followed by 20 sec.s of harsh singing an then another 10 sec. scream. The next vocal section show his endurance and vocal range. If you can sing, and come anywhere close to doing this song then props to you, but i highly doubt you can, your are clearly just posting random unsupported shit here to piss people off(as you did with me) Name any singer who could preform the same song, let alone live. Whether or not Maynard can sing this song live as well it is preformed on the CD is a non issue. This is probably one of the most vocally challenging songs I have ever heard. Any live attempt of this song would be amazing.

third_eye96
05-04-2006, 05:23 AM
Yea... they do sound a bit sick. Maynard sings an F# when he says 'dies', and Adam has just played an F natural chord and it just sounds wrong. Quite distasteful imho

paraflux
05-04-2006, 06:23 AM
Maynard has said that he cant talk for a few days after performing Ticks and Leeches the way it is recorded.

Dj Consequence
05-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Yea... they do sound a bit sick. Maynard sings an F# when he says 'dies', and Adam has just played an F natural chord and it just sounds wrong. Quite distasteful imho

no

hbynoe
05-04-2006, 07:34 AM
what?

theprosperone
05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Hell, just watch the video clip of him singing with Tori Amos. That proves how lovely and wide his range is....oh and its uh live. Maynard sounds great live. Anyone hear 3 Libras on the tonight show or whatever? If you can hit those notes consistantly you're pretty amazing.

Oberon
05-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Maynard has said that he cant talk for a few days after performing Ticks and Leeches the way it is recorded.

Can't *talk*? I think thats a little exaggerative. If he can hit "I HOPE, I HOPE, I HOPE YOU CHOKE" then he can squawk that he wants a number 5 with a large sprite

DeathByPain
05-04-2006, 11:49 AM
mike Patton is the only other singer out there that holds a candle to him as far as im concerned.

Hooray! My two favorite vocalists ever! When people boo'd Tomahawk in Sacramento in 2002, I wanted to punch them all in their faces and yell, "DO YOU KNOW WHO THE FUCK YOU ARE BOOING AT? THIS MAN COULD KILL YOU ALL WITH HIS VOICE IF HE WANTED TO AND MAYNARD WOULD HELP HIM!" It was hilarious though, Mike Patton was totally egging them on, saying the Sacramento Kings sucked or whatever; I LOL'D.

rxsheepxr
05-04-2006, 12:49 PM
It's not his singing ability that makes Tool great, it's the fact that he's a great frontman and his style fits the music perfectly.

Same way as some people (not me, particularly) love the White Stripes. No one can say that Jack White is a good singer, but it fits his shit, you know?

And MJK sings better than a big assload of singers in this genre, so leave the man alone. The cd's awesome and you know it.

lvpickle
05-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Maynard has a better than average rock and roll singing voice. More importantly, he is one of the best ever at singing, talking or screaming to add to the music. His tone, volume and style contribute to the artistic experience as a whole. Therein lies his "genius" IMO.

scar
05-04-2006, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=bales]hey, he's no arethra franklin.

what puts him above the rest is the way he sings. as in vicarious, he doesn't go all out until the end, the crescendo. he builds up through out the song to that moment. and that makes it all the more powerful.

this is ilustrated better then ever in 10,000 days. he begins low and slow, behind the music and very baritone. he slowly picks up pace and sings higher. by the time he gets to 'give me my wings' he is screaming. its brilliant work.. if you have an attention span that is.[/QUOTE

very well put. i personally think maynard is a great singer. i don't want to hear him on an "american idol" stage, i want to hear him with justin and adam ripping it up right in your grill, and have maynard's voice just blend in as a seperate instrument. and by the way, i am sooo glad he is no arethra franklin. don't need arethra, need maynard.

tool/rush/mars
05-04-2006, 01:42 PM
maybe one day people will realize if maynard was singing acapella without a microphone people wouldnt think he was great.

In a live setting the sheer level of amplification coupled with reverb, can make anyone who can hit notes sound good.

in the studio, anyone can sound amazing.

i love tool, but not because of maynard....danny is driving this bus.

Neill Fraser
05-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Hell, just watch the video clip of him singing with Tori Amos. That proves how lovely and wide his range is....oh and its uh live. Maynard sounds great live. Anyone hear 3 Libras on the tonight show or whatever? If you can hit those notes consistantly you're pretty amazing.

Not really.

brillo
05-05-2006, 05:34 AM

lol
actually.. when i heard him singing "who don't know the law" in that song, i laught at him and his inability to sing something, that is just a little higher than what he usually sings.

personally, i like his melody and the tone.. but technically, there are a lot of better singers.

lovelylemonfactory
05-05-2006, 05:43 AM
The mans an awesome singer and is brilliant live(for the most part), so what if he can't do aswell live, no one could. Only singer better than him is Freddie Mercury and thats only by a nanometre.

Oh and don't dis the Mercury

pSYCHOtHErAPIST
05-05-2006, 07:20 AM

I've seen Tool live 3 times.

I'vew seen APC live 6 times.

One of those times was APC playing a four song accoustic set in a recording studio in Chicago of re-arranged songs from mer de noms, at which there were only about 35 people. I was sitting about 10 feet from maynard. I could hear his actualk voice even louder than the amlified one.

Everything has sounded damn near perfect .

Every time.

Beautiful man.

pSYCHOtHErAPIST
05-05-2006, 07:24 AM
I'vew seen APC live 6 times.

One of those times was APC playing a four song accoustic set in a recording studio in Chicago of re-arranged songs from mer de noms, at which there were only about 35 people. I was sitting about 10 feet from maynard. I could hear his actualk voice even louder than the amlified one.

Maynard's way harder on himself than anyone else is though. He took home the hard drive memory of that recording session, and it was never heard from again. I hope it never comes out, just so I can say I was one of 35 people who heard it.

ajapersuasia
05-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Maynards voice IS an instrument. An instrument of human emotion enflamed by passion, perfectly set in time to the other instruments. TOOL doesnt just "rock out," each musician being a true master of their instrument, when they compose they are ONE entity, ONE force, ONE TOOL to RULE them all.

x7 Lateralus 7x
05-05-2006, 05:50 PM
... whatever ajapersuasia said.

Anyways, Maynard's voice is NOT perfect, but at the same time it seems that he's only playing modest whenever he sings something so elusive. The ending was great, indeed it was... he tried a lot of new things, he's always tried newer things, his vocals were different but damn this was a good experiment from him to hear.

usa4jer
05-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I also recall reading an interview where Maynard said that after they recorded Ticks & Leeches he could barely speak for 3 weeks. The rest of the band wants to play it live but he refuses because, again, it destroyed his voice. They rarely play it and in the video I have of it he's using a really, really bad effect box on his voice to give a harsh tone. So I'm glad they don't play it live, even though it'd be so awesome I'd have to start punching babies.

Matt8
05-06-2006, 11:51 AM
yea i think they only played it like once live. maybe a couple times. he threw his voice out pretty bad so he had to use really havy vocal disortion which kinda mixed in with the sound and sounds kinda frantic. still ticks and leeches is an awesome song and i find vicarious and rosetta stoned very much like it. i wonder if they will ever do rosetta stoned live. i cant even read the lyrics fast enough to keep up with the song so fuck tryin. i'm just gonna listen to the songs for now. worry about lyrics in like a month or so.

Max T.
05-06-2006, 12:13 PM

sure, his range doesn't compare to that of Chris Cornell or Freddie Mercury, etc, but its for sure that he DOES have a great range. It is also easy to tell that he is very diverse in his singing methods, sounds, and approaches. Many variations of vocal sounds are used on the album especially. And yes, again he's 42, which doesn't stop him. A great singer indeed.

Max T.
05-06-2006, 12:16 PM
I also recall reading an interview where Maynard said that after they recorded Ticks & Leeches he could barely speak for 3 weeks. The rest of the band wants to play it live but he refuses because, again, it destroyed his voice. They rarely play it and in the video I have of it he's using a really, really bad effect box on his voice to give a harsh tone. So I'm glad they don't play it live, even though it'd be so awesome I'd have to start punching babies.

haha, yeah your right about his voice. I think I read the same thing you did. However if it were easier for Maynard to sing it more often, I would not only punch babies but would also resort to eating them and aborting them with its head put behind a double bass pedal.

sonnyboy11
05-06-2006, 12:21 PM

You're so full of shiat your eyes are brown. Now throw another one on the barbie and never again act like you know the first thing about music.

I first saw Maynard with APC and he floored me. His ability to recreate what is on the records in a live setting are first rate. Aside from maintaining his pitch, I think the hardest thing he has to contend with are the rythms and timing of the band. He can't afford to be even a little bit off in songs like Lateralus or it will fall apart. The second verse in Schism is another good example.

Vacarious was, I thought, their best song live at Coachella. Whether it was because it was new and fresh or they just nailed it, i don't know. Probably both.

journeyman
05-06-2006, 04:45 PM
i was chatting to a friend of mine who's a singer (and had never heard tool before in their life) and playing 10 000 days to them the turn round to me and said "holy fuck how does he manage to do that. what better arguement do you need?.....

macfreak
05-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Maynard´s voice is amazing. He doesnt get as high as Heavy Metal vocalists but he is not a Heavy Metal Vocalist (lol) , what i have always loved about maynards voice is its so powerfull and dark but beatifull at the same time, like a demon/angel..and a singer like sebastian bach, bruce dickinson cant sing like maynard as he cant sing like them...He´s 42 and i really think he isin hes finest vocal moment i mean thirteenth steps vocals were excellent and 10,000 dyas wow so...now when u tour 1 year straigth and sing every night ur voice is gonna go to hell unless u r not human so of course he cracks or makes mistakes sometimes...to the guy that talked about chris cornell have u heard him live? he can barely sing cause he rips hes voice every night over and over

scar
05-06-2006, 07:25 PM
i was chatting to a friend of mine who's a singer (and had never heard tool before in their life) and playing 10 000 days to them the turn round to me and said "holy fuck how does he manage to do that. what better arguement do you need?.....

i'm going to try to do what i think he meant, just to clear it up a bit:

I was chatting to a friend of mine who's a singer (had never heard TOOL in their life,) and I was playing 10,000 Days to them, when they turned around to me and said, "Holy fuck! How does he manage to do that?"

What better arguement (or compliment) do you need?

smeefsmeef
05-06-2006, 09:06 PM
I saw Soundgarden live in the 90's and Cornell's voice was unbelievable, but when I saw Tool, (sorry Chris), Maynard's voice was beyond unbelievable

Heywood J.
05-06-2006, 09:51 PM
I think Maynard's voice sounds amazing on the album, and Vicarious really demostrates that. By the final chorus he's just inhabiting that song, cinematically, as an actor would approach a role I guess. Whether he's doing a whisper or a scream he just never pulls his punches with the vocals. The "new world order" line from Pet sent chills up my spine the first time I heard it (still does), and there are parts in Vicarious and Right In Two that do the same. Rosetta Stoned and Wings For Marie are growing on me fast as well.

I tried to do a review of the whole disc, hopefully I did it justice. It's going to take a while to digest it all.

http://hammeroftheblogs.blogspot.com/2006/05/10000-days.html

Chrispix
05-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Pull your head in...

Maynard sings an F# over a riff which is based on a D chord and happens to contain an F. So basically what's happening is Maynard is singing the major 3rd over a predominantly minor tonal centre... something that Tool have been doing for YEARS. This particular harmonic structure is a signature stamp of TOOL, that has pretty much defined their sound. You'll hear the same thing in: Sweat, Prison Sex, Undertow, 4degrees, Stinkfist, Eulogy, The Patient, And loads of others that I'm not anal enough to go through and list here.

You're so full of shiat your eyes are brown. Now throw another one on the barbie and never again act like you know the first thing about music.
I agree but careful with the Aussie bashing, eh?

NeverTooLoud
05-07-2006, 12:53 AM
I love it when ignorant people with strong opinions make posts like this...Maynard is an incredible singer for many reasons...his range both dynamically and tonaly alone set him apart from all the other shit you hear on the radio now a days...i've never sat in on a Tool recording session, but after seeing them live 4 times, i know his pitch is great...not to mention, auto tune will do nothing for a vocal as harsh as his without it being blatantly apparant...if you dont like his voice, great, you have that right...but dont be starting threads about shit you know nothing about...top 3 rock singers of our generation...patton, cornell, maynard....not in that order

barometric_tool
05-07-2006, 06:30 AM
In my opinion what makes a singer a singer so great is the ability to have a unique voice that sets them apart from any other, and blend it with the ability to adequately match the music. I really cannot think of someone that can match Maynard's voice, even though there are those that try. His voice just stands out.

rogerdoger
05-07-2006, 12:10 PM
What truly amazes me about Maynard's voice is how well it blends in with the music. Some people are talking about how it's not that great as just a single voice, but that's not at all what it is. His voice blends in with the instruments perfectly, and that's why Maynard is such a good singer IMO.

oneeyedshepherd
05-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Maynards one of the best lead singers ever. As a person mentioned earlier he is 42. He may not sing quite the same way he used to but he is still one of the best. And im sure after a few shows hell get back into the swing of things and still howl with the best of them. mike Patton is the only other singer out there that holds a candle to him as far as im concerned.
agreed

maestrotee
05-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Here's another vote for Patten and MJK to be the two strongest vocalists EVER! OMG, Angeldust! There are times I worry that his lungs are just gonna plop right out of his mouth onto the studio floor ... and STILL on tone and ANGRY! Has anyone seen Patten live? When he gets into the intense screams he 'gets into position' almost squats all the way to the floor and lets it loose.

guitarpete987
05-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Pull your head in...

Maynard sings an F# over a riff which is based on a D chord and happens to contain an F. So basically what's happening is Maynard is singing the major 3rd over a predominantly minor tonal centre... something that Tool have been doing for YEARS. This particular harmonic structure is a signature stamp of TOOL, that has pretty much defined their sound. You'll hear the same thing in: Sweat, Prison Sex, Undertow, 4degrees, Stinkfist, Eulogy, The Patient, And loads of others that I'm not anal enough to go through and list here.

I agree but careful with the Aussie bashing, eh?

Damn, I read third_eye96's post and was about to comment when I read your post.

Tool has indeed been using this for years, and it's a beautiful sort of dissonance that really doesn't sound all that dissonant but more colorful, in my view.

It's an idea based on chromatic harmony rather than diatonic harmony that is actually a staple of a lot of heavy metal and harder rock. It's also a blues staple.

Which is why it makes me so upset that people say Tool always play in the key of D minor, when in fact they usually just use that as a tonal base for far more interesting harmnoic ideas.

zzzsleepzzz
05-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I think that maynard is amazing. Yes he IS getting older. At coachella I thought a few parts were a bit rough and he was "speaking" some parts as opposed to singing them (JAMBI for one). I also thought that Adam was a bit rusty in a few parts of the songs (anyone else hear this?). He almost completely lost the timing of Lateralus towards the end but pulled it back together, and there were a few other mistakes here and there. Anyone hear JC's botched bass note on the intro to Schism??

My point of pointing this out IS NOT to bash them. They are absolutely amazing, but alas, even though some of us really DONT want to believe this, they are human. I play in a band myself (a professional band). I have major studio and live experience. I for one can't imagine what their nerves must have felt like before hitting that stage with 60,000 people awaiting their first live performance in how many years??? They must have been nearly sick. ESPECIALLY with the high level they know that people place them on. AND knowing all the bootleggers who will no doubt get EVERY SINGLE LIVE SHOW they do on tape. The odds of a few mistakes happening are certain. I actually enjoy hearing the rough parts (the video of MJK tossing the mic on Parabola and AJ forgetting the solo to Third eye are my favorites) because I PERSONALLY hold them on a high level and as a musician who strives to be amazing it can be frustrating to see a band as good as tool. They never fail to blow my mind. The little mistakes just remind me they ARE human. Anyone that is a pro musician can relate to this I'm sure.

As for Maynard not sounding good if you took the band away, ever hear the last track off of Emotive (i know the album was kinda lame, but come on)? What is that like 4 harmonies he pulls off? Any vocalist I play that for is blown away, regardless of liking the cover itself, just basing it off of pure talent. And for whoever said that it's so easy to sound amazing in the studio that just isn't really true. Effects and autotune can only do so much, and when you abuse them you can REALLY hear it and tell (kid rock anyone?). I've NEVER heard anything like that on a tool album. I actually think most of the vocals on 10,000 days are quite dry compared to an album like Aenima. He isn't hiding anything.

I'd also like to point out that I saw Tool at the Brixton Academy in London while I was over there and they OPENED with Ticks and Leeches (well after DC tore up the drums a bit). Although it's one of my least favorite tool songs they pulled it off amazingly welll as well as the rest of their set (I finally got to see them play my personal fave, jimmy ;)).

Point is Tool are amazing, period. We all know this. ANY musician with talent knows this as well. Go watch a f'in cover band play tool (make sure it's one who does a song other than Sober) and you tell me how great you think maynard is. I see em all the time. The best ones can usually nail the music pretty well, it's ALWAYS the vocalist who loses it or can't hang.

MJK is one of the G.O.A.T. For sure.

Liam
05-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Have you actually ever listened to this song?
No. I have never listened to the song.

If you had you would know that the very first vocals in this song are Maynards 12 sec. scream. Followed by 20 sec.s of harsh singing an then another 10 sec. scream. The next vocal section show his endurance and vocal range.

No, systematic, I have never actually listened to the song... ever.

If you can sing, and come anywhere close to doing this song then props to you, but i highly doubt you can, your are clearly just posting random unsupported shit here to piss people off(as you did with me) Name any singer who could preform the same song, let alone live.

Clearly...

I've been playing and studying music my whole life including a stint at university (albeit briefly). I have a variety of live and studio experience, everything from orchestral to bigband to metal to ska you name it.

Whether or not Maynard can sing this song live as well it is preformed on the CD is a non issue. This is probably one of the most vocally challenging songs I have ever heard. Any live attempt of this song would be amazing.

that is PRECISELY the issue. I'll spell it out for you.
I wasnt referring to the CD, I was referring to the bootleg video that everyone has seen, the one where maynard leaves the stage at the beginning of the song. His voice is heavily distorted with flange, gain and whatever else, yet it's easy enough to hear that hes NOT screaming.
he is speaking, whispering, whatever.
The performance on the CD is great, balls-out, almost brutal. However, my point is this;
why the fuck did he record it that way, if he can't (or isn't willing to) pull it off live?

if this is the most vocally challenging album performance you have ever heard, you really need to broaden your taste in music.

:-)

be_patient
05-08-2006, 08:35 PM

piss poor? The singing finished that song off, no other type of singing would have portrayed the message as well as what maynard has done. It is raw emotion, and that is all you can really ask for isn't it?

Liam
05-08-2006, 08:53 PM
^refer my previous post

Kjac18
05-08-2006, 09:09 PM
okay so nobody can say that maynard had done a piss poor attempt at anything! i mean no one could ever copy him! nobody is as creative as this band is so until you can some how sing like maynard, drum like danny, play like justin and play like adam. You can just pop that cock in you mouth and shut the hell up!

Liam
05-08-2006, 09:15 PM
this is an opinion forum.
i was expressing my disappointment when i heard maynards attempt at ticks & leeches live. it was clear that he was trying not to ruin his voice for the rest of the night. this, i think is poor, since practically everything tool has ever recorded, they have pulled off live. in my opinion....
this is different to maynard fucking up or missing a note, it is akin to him putting in only 50%.

Kjac18
05-08-2006, 09:20 PM
man think about how many times he's sung it, as some ppl have said he said it hurts for him to have to talk after he sings it like off the record, in the studio you can do it over and over until its right, live its just one chance!

Liam
05-08-2006, 09:26 PM
my point exacty :-)

Kjac18
05-08-2006, 09:29 PM
the way you make it sound is as though "maynard sucks, he could never do anything, like he does in the studio!" imo

JOK3R
05-08-2006, 11:09 PM

GTFO!

ThaMain1
05-09-2006, 09:50 AM
I personally believe Maynard DOES possess the greatest voice given to a singer period.
Heard him live and have to agree he mimiced the album stuff perfectly. Let's face it, anyone who can sing with such angelic beauty as in Ænema but with such sublime but perceivable sarcasm has that something you need to be considered a GREAT singer.

Loveboat Captain
05-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Live and studio stuff is completely different. when making an album, a musician shouldnt even be thinking about live stuff. they are seperate things. Whats the point in making a CD if it sounds live?

Snakedragon
05-09-2006, 01:13 PM
this is an opinion forum.
i was expressing my disappointment when i heard maynards attempt at ticks & leeches live. it was clear that he was trying not to ruin his voice for the rest of the night. this, i think is poor, since practically everything tool has ever recorded, they have pulled off live. in my opinion....
this is different to maynard fucking up or missing a note, it is akin to him putting in only 50%.

well he has a full tour to do, who cares if he couldnt do T&L properly- he'd be voiceless after it if he gave it 100% like on the album.

You try to sing 2-3 hours a day for a month keeping your voice mostly perfect, and then tell maynard he sucks

MistaSparkle
05-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Hooray! My two favorite vocalists ever! When people boo'd Tomahawk in Sacramento in 2002, I wanted to punch them all in their faces and yell, "DO YOU KNOW WHO THE FUCK YOU ARE BOOING AT? THIS MAN COULD KILL YOU ALL WITH HIS VOICE IF HE WANTED TO AND MAYNARD WOULD HELP HIM!" It was hilarious though, Mike Patton was totally egging them on, saying the Sacramento Kings sucked or whatever; I LOL'D.
Terrific! I was at that show, and I agree in hindsight. Though at the time I had no idea who Mike Patton was. He really was being a dick there -- and the whole gas mask singing business... I mean, it's hard to play Arco, as the acoustics aren't that great IMO, and Tomahawk's sound was shit, if I recall correctly.

Shit, I still wear my old Lateralus T-shirt from that show. Good times.

Liam
05-09-2006, 03:42 PM
well he has a full tour to do, who cares if he couldnt do T&L properly- he'd be voiceless after it if he gave it 100% like on the album.

You try to sing 2-3 hours a day for a month keeping your voice mostly perfect, and then tell maynard he sucks

i'm not saying maynard sucks, i just didnt like how he performed ticks & leeches live.
end.

Dross
05-09-2006, 05:20 PM
i'm not saying maynard sucks, i just didnt like how he performed ticks & leeches live.
end.

Well obvioulsy Maynard didn't like it either ;p. It's not like they were constantly playing this song... They just knew it wasn't meant to be played live, but probably trying it as a challenge.. It's really too bad because the drumming in this track is tight.

Liam
05-09-2006, 05:43 PM
yeah. they dedicated it to fantomas who had been opening for them that tour.
he should have invited patton on stage to do the vocals, now that would have been awesome ;-)

layersbeyondimagination
05-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I agree iwth most the things said in this post. Maynard standing alone isn't much, a strong singer, but he shines in his ability to be an instrument rather than just hte lyrics. I have to mention though, Eric Clapton is one of the great vocalists of our time. I know he wasn't necessarily in one hard rock band, but still he has to be mentioned. Listening/watching his MTV Unplugged performance, his voice is deep, emotional and absolutely flawless. Lots of people have said he sounds liek a black man a lot of the time, and thats a good thing. Deep strong bellowing voice.

Liam
05-09-2006, 05:50 PM
hmm.. my workmate just did a deep strong bellowing fart. that can't be a good thing.

spark
05-10-2006, 04:59 AM
I like the ending vocals of Vicarious.
Everytime I listen to this song, I'm looking forward to the ending vocals.

submachine
05-10-2006, 05:21 AM

this is ilustrated better then ever in 10,000 days. he begins low and slow, behind the music and very baritone. he slowly picks up pace and sings higher. by the time he gets to 'give me my wings' he is screaming. its brilliant work.. if you have an attention span that is.

Vicarious is the best song on 10000 Days, and the ending is the best part of the song AND the cd. The Pot is also great from beginning to end.

The problem with the other songs is that they are not good enough to maintain, before the eventual crescendo. And that is the main problem with 10000 Days, because in all the other CD's, there ARE great moments before the end.

Koan
05-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Maynards voice IS an instrument. An instrument of human emotion enflamed by passion, perfectly set in time to the other instruments. TOOL doesnt just "rock out," each musician being a true master of their instrument, when they compose they are ONE entity, ONE force, ONE TOOL to RULE them all.

Sheer brilliance, the way you put it!

jazz
05-12-2006, 08:21 AM
i think he does pretty damn good considering the way he uses his voice on the songs.

Gregead
05-12-2006, 08:56 AM
I think it is all based on opinion. If you like his voice and think it's good, then it's good. It doesn't realy matter what others think about it, because that's their opinion.

Gregead
05-12-2006, 08:57 AM
and personally I find his voice great. I like the way it sounds, the notes he can hit, and the different styles he can sing.

Terry21
05-13-2006, 04:04 AM
I prefer the minor note at the end of Jambi to "I might as well be gone".

smeefsmeef
05-13-2006, 06:40 PM
I think it is all based on opinion. If you like his voice and think it's good, then it's good. It doesn't realy matter what others think about it, because that's their opinion.

No, Maynard's voice is awesome. If you disagree, you're a LIAR.

IC
05-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I saw Soundgarden live in the 90's and Cornell's voice was unbelievable, but when I saw Tool, (sorry Chris), Maynard's voice was beyond unbelievable
you ever see the video they did for Fell on Black Days? Its like studio live version. VERY good. so sad...

smeefsmeef
05-13-2006, 07:41 PM
you ever see the video they did for Fell on Black Days? Its like studio live version. VERY good. so sad...

Yeah, they even played it on the radio more often than the original, after awhile. I miss Soundgtarden >weep<

am.dk
05-14-2006, 03:49 AM
maynard have this unik voice,if you listen to tori amos feats maynard you will be abel to here an amasing voice comes out of maynard and when he feats david bowie in (bring me the disco king).i dont think it is a coinsident they chuoce maynard to do vocal.and another thing ,so far i have never herd eny other cover band,being abel to preform a disent tool cover number .(then the voice agein).

tbrent21
05-14-2006, 06:16 AM
and personally I find his voice great. I like the way it sounds, the notes he can hit, and the different styles he can sing.

It's also the way he can scare the shit out of you one second, and then have you contemplative the next. For example, in "Flood" when he's singing "So I take what is mine! And hold what is mine! Suffocate what is mine! And bury what's mine!", I NEVER fail to piss my pants. Then a moment later, he's subdued, "I was wrong, this changes everything." And I'm empathetic, puzzled by his conundrum.

Its not just "does he hit the notes", "does he have the range", "can he maintain live", etc etc. What is this, American Idol? Its the way he DELIVERS his lines like he's, well, digging deep inside you.

khemystri
05-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Maynards in my top 5 singers of all time.... but who cares, im just some dumbass posting on a tool messageboard...... What a douche.

(By the way, Bjork edged out Freddie Mercury and Maynard)

paradiddlellogram
05-15-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm not even a singer and the way(s) he sings still sends shivers down my spine. If anyone wants to find out why, listen to pushit at 4 in the morning very loud on a pair of headphones, and wait for the line: "I must persuade you another way"

deep_schismic
05-15-2006, 11:28 AM
OK, seriously...whoever thinks that Cornell belongs in the TOP 3 vocalists would pretty much have had to have their head stuck in a pile of shit over the past 5 years.

The way he sounded back in the days of Soundgarden is NOTHING like how he sounds now...I like Audioslave but seriously, Cornell's cancer-ridden blackboard scratching vocals prevent me from listening to them at length...especially in the first album.

And seeing them live...I was glad that the mix was more instrument heavy than vocal, because it would really make cornell ashamed of himself. Seriously, only dave grohl sounded worse live than Cornell...

On Out of Exile, his voice works alot better on the ballads and mid-tempo songs when he isn't trying to scream...he doesn't have that ability anymore..his vocal range is QUITE limited nowadays. If you don't believe me, just go and watch the Live in Cuba dvd...I was horrified...

Someone like Eddie Vedder on the other hand has managed not to descend into a pool of crap that Cornell has...Yeah I know PJ don't go as heavy as they once did..but I was pretty damn impressed when I heard them play Once and Blood on their last Melbourne tour! And Vedder still has the ability to change his voice from brooding to soaring, just like MJK. And yeah, I understand that he too is getting on age-wise.

If there was someone who definitely belonged in the TOP 3...Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth would so fucking have to be tehre....time and again I am just fucking astounded by his vocal range...and i've witnessed it live on 3 occassions...it is MINDBLOWING..the whole dynamic of death-growl to 'clean' vocals..and melody and range...fuck!! I would die of a vocal orgasm if Maynard and Mikael ever dueted on a song hehe

Also...the mighty THOM YORKE is also a force to be reckoned with in the best vocalist heavyweight contingent...

Marshalclick
05-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Ok, as far as the discussion about Maynards voice, I submit into evidence the last 2 NIN albums. Trent is obviously getting older but it does not detract from the concept. I think a good musician/artist adapts to what he can do. The fact that you are complaining about a dissonance between a f# versus a F chord doesn't mean shit, since you have no way of knowing what the artist intended. Remember "The Rite of Spring" by Stravinsky which was one of the first major Orchestral works to shy away from major chords? Adapting is important...and he will still sing higher than any of you boys. I love the mature sound in this voice versus Undertow or Opiate any day....evolving and changing awesomely and consistantly has kept them above the others.

Marshalclick
05-19-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm not even a singer and the way(s) he sings still sends shivers down my spine. If anyone wants to find out why, listen to pushit at 4 in the morning very loud on a pair of headphones, and wait for the line: "I must persuade you another way"

exactly! good example!