PDA

View Full Version : Oh so critical

bloodydecember
05-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Why is everybody so critical of the new album?? How hard is it to accept it for what it is and instead of criticising things as "possibly the worst track Tool has recorded," take a step back and try to see where the band was trying to be artistically. It's ignorance to label something as "bad" when bad is simply a matter of oppinion. So instead of criticising things from the corner of your room, hiding behind your keyboard, take a minute to fully appreciate the album and each of its songs for what the artists indended them to be, not what you THINK they should be.

Lantern Bearer
05-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Why is everybody so critical of the new album?? How hard is it to accept it for what it is and instead of criticising things as "possibly the worst track Tool has recorded," take a step back and try to see where the band was trying to be artistically. It's ignorance to label something as "bad" when bad is simply a matter of oppinion. So instead of criticising things from the corner of your room, hiding behind your keyboard, take a minute to fully appreciate the album and each of its songs for what the artists indended them to be, not what you THINK they should be.

Fuckin' A! 10KD is going to be the album that weeds out all of the 'fans' who approach Tool's music shallowly and don't bother to wrap their minds around the concepts Tool underlines...an enema to purge out all the shit, if you will.

Honestly, I think a lot of the people who've been so critical of this album as of the leak (or as of the official release) are the sorts who can't find something they can relate to on this album. In other words, they're looking for familiar ground, be it familiar themes from past albums (some go so far as to continually point out the similarities they seek, it seems), or, to a sick extreme, are looking for something similar to what they'd hear from whatever corporate-cock-sucking radio station they subscribe to.

The latter are REALLY going to hate this album, but if they like that filthy semen hosed down their throats all day, to each his own.

bloodydecember
05-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Fuckin' A! 10KD is going to be the album that weeds out all of the 'fans' who approach Tool's music shallowly and don't bother to wrap their minds around the concepts Tool underlines...an enema to purge out all the shit, if you will.

Honestly, I think a lot of the people who've been so critical of this album as of the leak (or as of the official release) are the sorts who can't find something they can relate to on this album. In other words, they're looking for familiar ground, be it familiar themes from past albums (some go so far as to continually point out the similarities they seek, it seems), or, to a sick extreme, are looking for something similar to what they'd hear from whatever corporate-cock-sucking radio station they subscribe to.

The latter are REALLY going to hate this album, but if they like that filthy semen hosed down their throats all day, to each his own.

Thank you so much! I'm glad that at least somebody agrees with me. I was afraid of a ton of people jumping down my throat. I definatly agree with you 100%. People like what is familiar to them. I would personally be dissapointed if 10,000 days sounded exactly like any of the other albums. I was expecting something different and was still completely suprised by this. No dissapointment at all. Im just tired of everybody taking it at face value instead of really listening to it and finding deeper meanings. But I guess each to his own. Maybe I should just give up, flip on the radio, and listen to some Nickelback or some shit like that.

parables in the world
05-03-2006, 10:16 AM
exactly, you know what i thought since it seems they reference a couple riffs from prievious songs, that they use that theme from that song to show that theme again in a diff. light like in rosetta stoned the third eye riff, could be that he opens his eye. but i don't see how its only out one day and people are bashing it, i guess they don't have the time to actually listen for what it is.......but my fav. is right in two at the moment

WitlessLiar
05-05-2006, 04:16 PM
It's all the ÆNIMA / Undertow fans talking... they don't understand emotion too well :)

And by fans, I mean either drug addicts or brainless idiots.

pigvoll
05-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I don't agree that everything is a matter of opinion or that this album is radically different from previous tool releases. All opinions are relative, yes, but some a relatively better than others. If my opinion is that rape is good, or that the earth is flat, or that britney spears is better than tool, i am obiously wrong. secondly, most people would agree that this album incorporates many old ideas borrowing more from previous albums than lateralus, aenima etc. In fact, there was a quantum leap between undertow and aenima, very different albums but aenima was the breakthrough album at many levels. so to say that people don't like change is false. thirdly, if everyones opinions are just opinions and none are better or worse, why are you guys getting so frustrated at people expressing negative opinions of the new album?

ArizonaBay
05-05-2006, 06:33 PM
What i love about tool is the emotion and this album far more than any of the others.

But to witlessliar Aenima had far far more emotion than Lateralus.

evil agent
05-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I have listened to the full thing nearly 10 times now, and it is beautiful. It totally makes sense. I would have loved one or two more rocking tracks, but its still excellent. I think I might possibly end up putting this just under Aenima, and just above Lateralus. For me it's much more reminiscent of Undertow and Aenima, which I love.

Neuk77
05-05-2006, 08:51 PM
I am completely obsessed with this album. I picked it up on Monday and have listened to it at least 5 or 6 times a day since then. I love this album. Every single minute. It was not what I had in mind or what I was expecting. And after hearing Vicarious and Jambi before it came out I was a little concerned because I thought they sounded similar to something off Lateralus... Vicarious more than Jambi. But then I picked it up and got something completely different. Now while listening to it in my car on the way home I just didn't know what I had just bought. I did a quick scan of the begining of each song and most start out pretty mellow. But once I was able to listen to the whole thing from start to finish I was floored. This is by far their most emotional release imho. And I think that is the hardest thing for so many people to come to terms with. Each song takes you on a ride unlike earlier songs. As much as I have loved and will continue to love everything they have done so far, I think Wings 1/2 is the pinnacle of what this band is capable of at this point in their career. The emotion relayed in that song is beyond words for me. With TOOL each new release tops the last one in a completely different way, with out giving any disrespect to previous ones. I can listen to Undertow at any time just as I can anything else they put out.... well I think that's enough babbling for me. Just my thoughts on it.

Wonko The Sane
05-05-2006, 10:18 PM
NEUK77 - Nice...I concur.

Sporkk
05-06-2006, 10:25 PM
I've been listening to the album constantly since I got it. It took a while to grow on me, but now every time I hear it I get more and more out of it. In a lot of ways I think it's thier best album. The band has taken a step in a new direction and it's paid off; nowhere will you hear another CD like this one.

There'd be no point in Tool producing another album exactly like Lateralus or Aenima; if they weren't trying new things it'd just become stagnant and repeditive.

bloodydecember
05-07-2006, 06:26 PM
I don't agree that everything is a matter of opinion or that this album is radically different from previous tool releases. All opinions are relative, yes, but some a relatively better than others. If my opinion is that rape is good, or that the earth is flat, or that britney spears is better than tool, i am obiously wrong. secondly, most people would agree that this album incorporates many old ideas borrowing more from previous albums than lateralus, aenima etc. In fact, there was a quantum leap between undertow and aenima, very different albums but aenima was the breakthrough album at many levels. so to say that people don't like change is false. thirdly, if everyones opinions are just opinions and none are better or worse, why are you guys getting so frustrated at people expressing negative opinions of the new album?

It's not so much the ones expressing negative opinions so much as the one's dismissing the entire thing out of hand because it's not Lateralus or Ænima. I'm not talking about the ones expressing valid arguements, I'm cool with that. I'm talking about the jackass posts that say "I dont like 10,000 days because it's slow" or "The Pot sucks because maynard is singing higher than usual." without taking time to appreciate each one for what they are worth or even giving their argument validity be stating why it's such a bad thing; merely saying that "it sucks."

Carny_Handles
05-07-2006, 08:39 PM
And by fans, I mean either drug addicts or brainless idiots.

I am both a drug addict, and a brainless idiot.. yet i still like this album alot....

Should I not? tell me what to think, to feel.