PDA

View Full Version : Vocals

Underalus
05-02-2006, 05:53 PM
They just bother me, why isn't he singing this emotional stuff. I imagine that such a topic would be sung so beatifully and with so much pain behind it but he just speaks. It kind of feels like a cop out.

bloodydecember
05-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Tool is growing and changing from what they used to be. Listen to Opiate and all of the anger and malice in it. Then listen to Lateralus and read the lyrics. There are definatly twon different messages. In Jerk-off Maynard is saying that he should "play God and shoot you [himself]" while in Schism he is saying that the solution to our problems lies in communication and togetherness. Two completely different messages.

Now apply that concept to the singing and the instrumentals. They are growing into a more mature and artistic band. When asked on an interview if he was concerned if people were going to miss the "old, angry tool" Maynard simply replied "Go plug in Opiate or Undertow. Our music is changing and evolving. How can we expect you to learn and grow from our experiences if we can't learn and grow from them first?" (Not a direct quote but it's the best I could do from memory...)

Underalus
05-02-2006, 08:57 PM
I understand that, but it doesn't explain why he talks instead of sings. You'd think singing would be more cathartic for him too.

Oberon
05-03-2006, 01:06 AM
I understand that, but it doesn't explain why he talks instead of sings. You'd think singing would be more cathartic for him too.

??? when does he talk on this track?

bloodydecember
05-03-2006, 05:21 AM

Other than Lost Keys, i didnt think there was any talking....

Underalus
05-03-2006, 05:52 AM
It's not actually talking, I should have been more clear. It's really just singing in a low vocal register with little melody, or at least that's how it sounds to me.

martyr_02
05-03-2006, 06:29 AM
It's not actually talking, I should have been more clear. It's really just singing in a low vocal register with little melody, or at least that's how it sounds to me.

I absolutely love that he sings in a low key for most of Wings For Marie and 10,000 days. It makes it that much more haunting and disturbing. I do agree that maynard can express much pain and beauty in his voice at the same time, but I don't think he wants there to be any beauty in this. I believe whole heartedly that this song deals with his mother and her death, a tragic moment for anybody to deal with. His singing it to her and leaves out all the "theatrics" ie. screaming, it's almost like a lullabye to her, a final goodbye.

bloodydecember
05-03-2006, 09:51 AM
I absolutely love that he sings in a low key for most of Wings For Marie and 10,000 days. It makes it that much more haunting and disturbing. I do agree that maynard can express much pain and beauty in his voice at the same time, but I don't think he wants there to be any beauty in this. I believe whole heartedly that this song deals with his mother and her death, a tragic moment for anybody to deal with. His singing it to her and leaves out all the "theatrics" ie. screaming, it's almost like a lullabye to her, a final goodbye.

10,000 days is literally her Eulogy. It's his final goodbye. Tool has always been true to the music and let it develope the way it's supposed to. They put it out the way it's supposed to be. I like the emotion that you get from Parabola and The Grudge but that's why they are there. If you want the emotion plug in that album and listen to it. If you want something softer and more spiritual, plug in 10,000 days. Each album has it's own voice and its own sound.

eonphi
05-03-2006, 10:58 AM
it all works together...it wouldn't b there if it didn't

Wretched
05-03-2006, 12:42 PM
This song reminds me of vincent prive. Especially how he says Ghouls. I love this song.

Underalus
05-03-2006, 01:59 PM
yes, I now am beginning to budge. It takes more listens to really understand and appreciate each piece of the song for how it fits into the whole song. Really remarkable, I'm no longer dissapointed, I'm actually a little ashamed for thinking as I did. This song is wonderful, his voice is wonderful and only "theatrical" when it needs to be.