PDA

View Full Version : The Glasses, Clearing stuff up. "Stereoscopic"

JeffSnow
05-02-2006, 05:40 PM
The glasses are have nothing, I REPEAT, NOTHING, to do with the 3d effect.

I will explain how and what I mean.

First, lets explore the "two images." There are two images to simulate depth. Basically if you take a picture of anything then move the camera 70mm or roughly the distance between two human eyes, to the left then snap another picture, you have created this effect Tool has used.

This has been used since before the 1900's

Basically, with the Two picture method, there are two ways of viewing the picture.

If you take the two pictures you just snapped and put the pic you first took on the right and the pic you moved to the left for on the left in front of you, you would have to view the pics the "Parallel way". If you switched the pictures then you would have to view them the "cross eyed" way.

The Parallel way is when you split your eyes apart and view the left picture with your left eye and the right picture with your right eye. Normally both your eyes would focus on one picture thus you needing to "split" your eyes. a good way to do this is take the tool booklet, look across your room, focus on the wall, then jam the booklet up to your eyes.

The Cross eyed way, you would need to take the pics you took and switch them, then cross your eyes like your looking at your nose, make your left eye see the right pic and your right eye see the left pic.

A really fun thing to see is this Hyper cube, Click this link then *** click the stereo button twice. USE THE CROSS EYED METHOD, DO NOT USE THE TOOL GLASSES.

http://dogfeathers.com/java/hyprcube.html

Now to the tool glasses. These things are part magnifying glasses and part parallel aiders. Thats all nothing special about them.

hope I helped!

Kaoticz
05-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Ummm...thanks for nothing. I'm stoked that someone actually thought about using these things for an album. The concept is simple, but people are not super amazed by what they do, but by how great of an idea it was to include with the artwork.

jonboy
05-02-2006, 05:42 PM
the glasses are for people with no self control

ProdigyDub
05-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Awesome, you're right. People should just cross their eyes instead of using the provided glasses.

Cause that's really good for your eye muscles.

Reggin
05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Wow, this guy is so cock.

bellamadia
05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't know how to cross my eyes...

Thank you, TOOL, for supporting the eye crossing impaired fans, how very PC of you!

JeffSnow
05-02-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm not saying anything bad about the glasses! what are you guys talking about?

It was brought to my attention some people didnt know what to do and some don't know what the concept of stereoscopic images are. So I explained. And if you care.. I explain how to make your own 3-d images... Why would people bash me about that?

ProdigyDub
05-02-2006, 05:49 PM

It was brought to my attention some people didnt know what to do and some don't know what the concept of stereoscopic images are. So I explained. And if you care.. I explain how to make your own 3-d images... Why would people bash me about that?

Guess I misread the tone of your post. My apologies.

I do think what you said about focusing on the wall then throwing the cd case up in front of your face is a really good tip.

JeffSnow
05-02-2006, 05:50 PM

Thank you, TOOL, for supporting the eye crossing impaired fans, how very PC of you!

you don't cross your eyes for the bookle,...

auralassassin
05-02-2006, 05:50 PM
haha, the glasses aren't great for your eyes, either... after an hour straight using them, I'm all blind and shit :D

JeffSnow
05-02-2006, 05:51 PM
:)

bellamadia
05-02-2006, 05:53 PM
My eyes hurt, I want my mommy.

JeffSnow
05-02-2006, 05:54 PM
http://myspace.com/mcmemo

Use the cross eyed method to see my 3d pics. try putting your finger half way between you and the screen to start if you are having trouble.

Sodemizer
05-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Mine too, I want your mommy.

Fulcan
05-02-2006, 05:56 PM
the glasses are used to make the image bigger you cockbite. if you looked at it from the same distance without the glasses it would be too small. dont be a loser, think about shit first.

outerone.com
05-02-2006, 05:57 PM
My eyes hurt now, thanks

auralassassin
05-02-2006, 06:07 PM
if you hold the fucking book like an inch or so from your face and look STRAIGHT AHEAD, it will make it so your right eye only see's what is on the right, and the left only sees what is on the left... you don't cross your eyes, you selectively blind yourself, or you focus each eye on ONE image and not the other... that way, you confuse your eyes into thinking that they are seeing the SAME image, when in reality they are two different ones.

works brilliantly, and no this isn't the first time I've seen it. In the context of this album, this shit is fucking amazing. YET ANOTHER REASON TOOL > ANY OTHER BANDS.

JeffSnow
05-02-2006, 06:15 PM
the glasses are used to make the image bigger you cockbite. if you looked at it from the same distance without the glasses it would be too small. dont be a loser, think about shit first.

who the fuck are you talking to? if your talking to me you are pretty fucking dumb, go back and read how I said the glasses magnify the images, and also aid you in viewing them. They aid because the dont let you cross your eyes.

who is the loser now?

DrunkFunk
05-02-2006, 06:30 PM

It took me like 40 seconds to fully focus. But holy cow its crazy, good mind workout!!! Would it be easier for drummers who can easily control left and right?

Zeus
05-02-2006, 06:39 PM
If you use the glasses while masturbating it gives a great effect.

JeffSnow
05-02-2006, 06:44 PM
It took me like 40 seconds to fully focus. But holy cow its crazy, good mind workout!!! Would it be easier for drummers who can easily control left and right?

no drummers arn't exactly visual. well not me at least.

Drummers get a feel for their kit, they know where everything is, they can practically play blindfolded. of course they need to see to make sure they are hitting the center of the drums, or in danny's case, pulling out the stick to hit the gong here and there =P

Rosetta Stoned
05-02-2006, 06:47 PM
http://myspace.com/mcmemo

Use the cross eyed method to see my 3d pics. try putting your finger half way between you and the screen to start if you are having trouble.

does this take practice? cuz like, i get it to work, but everytime i move my finger, i focus back on the two pics...

interesting stuff.

Rosetta Stoned
05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
isn't it true that the optic nerve is a dead spot?

X__________________________________X

look between the x's, now cover your right eye and look at the right x. where does the left x go?

dead space.

mmortal03
05-02-2006, 06:54 PM
you don't cross your eyes for the bookle,...

Yeah, you don't cross your eyes. All you do is unfocus your eyes. I can't cross my eyes, but I can still properly view stereoscopic images without any aid.

Bassmingo
05-02-2006, 06:55 PM
I think its a nice touch to include the vintage pair of lenses on the desk in adams photo, its tool giving a nod to old technology, used in a new way.

Descencia
05-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Wow, this guy is so cock.

Damn I just checked Reggin's post history and the only reason he registered was to be an instigating troll.

GaminCoda
05-02-2006, 07:08 PM
If you look on the bottom left of Adam's desk, there's a small steroscopic camera setup on it, it's the black and silver thing.

sifted
05-02-2006, 07:14 PM
a good way to do this is take the tool booklet, look across your room, focus on the wall, then jam the booklet up to your eyes.

i'm sorry..but this just made me laugh hysterically.

Reagunn
05-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Now to the tool glasses. These things are part magnifying glasses and part parallel aiders. Thats all nothing special about them.

hope I helped!
So is that why the depths invert when I look at the pics without the glasses and with crossed eyes?

JeffSnow
05-02-2006, 08:15 PM
So is that why the depths invert when I look at the pics without the glasses and with crossed eyes?

yep yep!

Bassmingo
05-03-2006, 03:39 AM
If you look on the bottom left of Adam's desk, there's a small steroscopic camera setup on it, it's the black and silver thing.

I said that two posts above you.

Blanket_509
05-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Sure the glasses aren't necessary but they magnify the image so you aren't looking at a tiny image...plus they ease the headache.

And you must take me for a fool if you think I'v never looked at a "magic eye" book or seen one of those old fashioned stereoscopic "viewfinders".

Kris
05-03-2006, 06:48 AM
I had absolutely no problem and in fact found it easier to view the images through the lenses.

so0l
05-03-2006, 06:52 AM
using free view methods are hit and miss with me.

some pictures come up right away, some take some straining and work and some i cant get no matter what without lenses (I'm talking about stuff I've looked at on the internet, the glasses are right there on the cd case, i see no reason not to use them)

slamminsalmon
05-03-2006, 07:26 AM
all i have to say is

when your 5 hits of blotter deep, your lucky to remember you have tool artwork to look at let alone how to cross your eyes.

eonphi
05-03-2006, 07:31 AM
they help...they wouldn't b there if they didn't

GaminCoda
05-03-2006, 07:51 AM
I said that two posts above you.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the other thing... it think the microscope thing is the same as our tool glasses, and if you look, he has alot of pictured layed out in front of him... maybe I'm wrong...
here's a pic of the camera:
www.annastasiaknights.com/junk/stereoscopiccamera.jpg

khemystri
05-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Check these out.... I made these yesterday!!!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~khemystri/lateralus-stereo.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~khemystri/grey1-stereo.jpg

(Use your 10,000 days goggles if you need to)

carlylecastle
05-03-2006, 12:40 PM
The lenses magnify it.

magnolia
05-03-2006, 01:51 PM
I like looking at it without the glasses -- just looking "through" it somewhat like magic eye. It looks a lot crisper, and you don't get visual noise from the magnification. Though I do love that they included the lenses.

I took some stereoscopic pics from my trip to Seattle to see Tool last night. Too bad I couldn't sneak the camera in... but I'll post the pics anyway when I develop them. Got one of the Hendrix statue, some other shite.

magnolia
05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
all i have to say is

when your 5 hits of blotter deep, your lucky to remember you have tool artwork to look at let alone how to cross your eyes.
LOL

Dj Consequence
05-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Check these out.... I made these yesterday!!!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~khemystri/lateralus-stereo.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~khemystri/grey1-stereo.jpg

(Use your 10,000 days goggles if you need to)

I got it without the goggles pretty easily...nice work.

Breaking_Glass
05-05-2006, 09:14 AM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/jerrymustbes/computer.jpg

Stereoscopic picture of JeffSnow's stereoscopic pictures, LAWLZOR

threethirtythree
05-05-2006, 10:09 AM
i dunno if you are all funny or just a bunch of fucks, i'm gonna go with funny.

praefector
05-05-2006, 10:30 AM
when i dont use the lenses i compulsively blink as soon as the picture comes into focus

its annoying

thumbs up for the lenses

Huff
05-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Oh I totally got this biiaatch now.....right on the artwork so soooo much better now!!!

zzzsleepzzz
05-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Mine too, I want your mommy.

LMFAO

TurdEye13
05-05-2006, 09:55 PM
way to ruin all of the fun JeffSnow!!!!

jquag
06-03-2006, 05:12 PM
This whole thing may have something to do with the new format of 3-D that is coming to movie theaters. Check out june 06 of popular science. Way cool shit ahead folks.

Existence_exists
06-04-2006, 10:59 PM
I've been able to do the magic eye things for years...But when i try to do the dual images by the usual "Cross eye" method it almost comes into focus then my eyes spasm and shake back and forth for about 5 seconds make everything look like an earthquake just happend.

squinch
06-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Um, does this explain the slight difference I can detect between the various objects in the backgrounds of the two pictures then? I'm so confused.

æmoeba•°·.
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
uhm, the glasses actually magnify it.

elevation
06-05-2006, 07:31 PM
squinch, yes, the slight difference you observe is the slight difference in position of the two cameras. Left eye vs. right eye.

the darknight
06-05-2006, 08:29 PM
all i have to say is

your avitar is the greatest ever! haha

HelenA
07-04-2006, 11:38 PM

Funny - lol

HelenA
07-04-2006, 11:47 PM
i dunno if you are all funny or just a bunch of fucks, i'm gonna go with funny.

It IS funny - it is so funny. On which other forum would you find (man having trouble seeing the keys!) fans so obsessed with the art work on an album that they MAKE stereoscopic images and then we all (yes - you did it too) squint at the screen trying valiantly to merge the images? You just have to be impressed with that level of commitment. Well done everyone. Hilarious.