PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Ploy

psims23
05-02-2006, 04:24 PM
I really think it's genius for Tool to include this type of packaging with the cd. Although it's an OBVIOUS tactic to combat all the internet downloading that now occurs with the release of new cds. The included glasses are something that people are just unable to download via the net. Music, sure. Artwork, also easily downloadable. But this packaging is simply something that people are not able to recreate through internet downloads.

I can GUARANTEE you that, while considering how to package this cd, they took how to combat internet downloading into consideration and this is what they came up with. Also remember how Maynard has been constantly referring to the album artwork as being an essential counterpart to the cd. Although it's nice, it certainly does not enhance my listening experience.

I think we are going to start seeing an evolution in the way cds are packaged from here on out. Leave it to Tool to pioneer a, in my opinion, successful counterattack to internet downloading. Whilst I do see this as somewhat of a desperate attempt to sell more cds, I thoroughly enjoy the artwork and cant wait to see if other bands in the future follow in suit.

Sol Invictus
05-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I doubt it. you can only do so many things with album artwork.

LazyE462
05-02-2006, 04:28 PM
disagree... best artwork ever... worth every penny.

Divine_left
05-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Tool has always had unique and hard-to-duplicate packaging. Okay, well not so much with Opiate and Undertow. But the "animated" Aenima cover, the transparencies in Lateralus, and now stereoscopic images...it's pretty obvious that they're trying to do something different with the packaging.

Whether or not it's to combat piracy is up to debate. I honestly think they're just trying to do something that hasn't been done before.

Sol Invictus
05-02-2006, 04:31 PM
I personally dig aenima's more. This is pretty cool, more interactive than any of the past albums but i doubt we will see a paradigm shift in the way artists view the correlation between internet downloading and their album artwork. I mean come on.

waXresilienT
05-02-2006, 04:33 PM
the other way I look at it is that they just might miss the artwork from vinyl albums back in the day. I mean just look at Led Zeppelin 3. Thats some really cool packaging that you have to buy. Tool just happened to do it when people could steal music. All their packaging is good though, they've just always known that when you buy music the artwork is just something it should come with.

psims23
05-02-2006, 04:34 PM
I personally dig aenima's more. This is pretty cool, more interactive than any of the past albums but i doubt we will see a paradigm shift in the way artists view the correlation between internet downloading and their album artwork. I mean come on.

Maybe I'm being hopeful? I just think it'd be exciting

Alex in Chains
05-02-2006, 04:34 PM
What's with the pictures of the band? That was a surprise.

tDoXoMl
05-02-2006, 04:35 PM
dude, id be totally desperate to make album artwork like this, and thats a good thing. its genius. looks hella cool. is it really possible to get the same results without the glasses? these glasses make me naseaus lol. im guessing that has something to do with the warning inside the case, but im wondering, what else can these glasses be used for? can i kill people with them?

randomhero8823
05-02-2006, 04:38 PM
What's with the pictures of the band? That was a surprise.

they appeared on every album minus Lateralus... whats the suprise?

bellamadia
05-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Tool has always had unique and hard-to-duplicate packaging. Okay, well not so much with Opiate and Undertow. But the "animated" Aenima cover, the transparencies in Lateralus, and now stereoscopic images...it's pretty obvious that they're trying to do something different with the packaging.

Whether or not it's to combat piracy is up to debate. I honestly think they're just trying to do something that hasn't been done before.

Agreed. I HIGHLY doubt it's to combat piracy

minusblindfold
05-02-2006, 04:41 PM
i really do not think the artwork has anything to do with preventing piracy. they have been doing this since the release of aenima, when piracy was basically a none issue. i 10k days has the craziest artwork to date, and is worth the price of the cd itself. adam is a god damn genius

Absolute_Zero
05-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Tool has always had unique and hard-to-duplicate packaging. Okay, well not so much with Opiate and Undertow.

Absolutely no disrespect intended, but I don't know if I fully agree with that assertion: Undertow was the first CD to have a picture hidden behind the black, opaque CD holder... The response to Undertow's 'cow lick' picture is the reason for producing transparent holders with images behind them--I'd say that's unique and innovative. Moreover, if you hold the pictures in the Undertow booklet up to the light, and let the images bleed into one another, some interesting composite pictures appear (e.g. the red 'ribcage' sculpture embraces the 'fat lady'). The pictures in Undertow transcend the page barrier; they de-clarify acepted notions of "front" and "back," and in the process of playing with ideas of 'separate' and 'distinct,' the images call into question the accepted ways in which we view visual art. I'd say that's innovative.
As far as Opiate is concerned, you have to remember that it was released in 1992--when the entire medium of the CD package was completely infantile. Although Opiate's art is decidedly less boundary-pushing than Tool's later releases, it did break the rythm of the industry's standard "liner note" formula (e.g. an organized 'band pamphlet'' containing lyrics, photos, etc.). I'm not saying that Opiate was the first CD to break convention with its layout, but I am saying that it was pretty unique and interesting in 1992.
As for the overarching ideas at hand in the thread's first post, I disagree also. If the impetus behind the 10,000 Days art was reduceable to a "marketing ploy," then the CD would cost more than 9 dollars, and the band would put out CDs far more frequently than they do. If it had anything to do with piracy-control, then they would have at least made the disc copy protected (ala APC). Tool pays for their own recording time, plays a central role in the development of their album art and its complimentary media (e.g. videos, the DVD singles, the organized insanity of their live performance space, etc.), and takes the time and money to make music on their own terms. It is about far more than marketing and money for Tool; there is a larger trans-media asthetic project at work here.

ladycommish
05-23-2006, 08:30 PM
maybe a ploy, but a damn good one! They sold over a half million in the first week. It worked! As I said before, maybe Metallica and others who hate pirating should take note.

Nathan6887
05-23-2006, 08:33 PM
these glasses make me naseaus lol. im guessing that has something to do with the warning inside the case, but im wondering, what else can these glasses be used for? can i kill people with them?

No but U can kill ants! LOL

mike_patton
05-24-2006, 05:09 PM
if there were any sort of marketing ploy involved w/ the packaging it would have to be the supposed "puzzle" everyone on here has been so obsessed w/ solving. I'm not saying there isn't a "puzzle" using the band mbr's pics as pieces, but if there is one, it was probably just put in there to get those people who actually devote their lives following the almighty gospel of Tool.

Wonko The Sane
05-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Absolutely no disrespect intended, but I don't know if I fully agree with that assertion: Undertow was the first CD to have a picture hidden behind the black, opaque CD holder... The response to Undertow's 'cow lick' picture is the reason for producing transparent holders with images behind them--I'd say that's unique and innovative. Moreover, if you hold the pictures in the Undertow booklet up to the light, and let the images bleed into one another, some interesting composite pictures appear (e.g. the red 'ribcage' sculpture embraces the 'fat lady'). The pictures in Undertow transcend the page barrier; they de-clarify acepted notions of "front" and "back," and in the process of playing with ideas of 'separate' and 'distinct,' the images call into question the accepted ways in which we view visual art. I'd say that's innovative.
As far as Opiate is concerned, you have to remember that it was released in 1992--when the entire medium of the CD package was completely infantile. Although Opiate's art is decidedly less boundary-pushing than Tool's later releases, it did break the rythm of the industry's standard "liner note" formula (e.g. an organized 'band pamphlet'' containing lyrics, photos, etc.). I'm not saying that Opiate was the first CD to break convention with its layout, but I am saying that it was pretty unique and interesting in 1992.
As for the overarching ideas at hand in the thread's first post, I disagree also. If the impetus behind the 10,000 Days art was reduceable to a "marketing ploy," then the CD would cost more than 9 dollars, and the band would put out CDs far more frequently than they do. If it had anything to do with piracy-control, then they would have at least made the disc copy protected (ala APC). Tool pays for their own recording time, plays a central role in the development of their album art and its complimentary media (e.g. videos, the DVD singles, the organized insanity of their live performance space, etc.), and takes the time and money to make music on their own terms. It is about far more than marketing and money for Tool; there is a larger trans-media asthetic project at work here.

Nice, well said. I completely agree.