PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami...

1350 Days
05-02-2006, 03:13 PM
I've been thinking; can Vicarious and Jambi be connected in a way. People stated that Vicarious is about the media, and how people have enjoyed the tragedies portrayed, such as, well, the Tsunami 2 years ago. Jambi is a place in Sumatra, Indonesia, which is where the Tsunami hit.

"Shine on, benevolent sun." That can be said about one of the survivors of the Tsunami, who would wish that the thing never happened. Think about it- "Damn my eyes, if they should compromise; All hope from; What you need to find me; Watching me divide me; Want to need and bite me; Then I might as well be gone..."

And of course, the obvious line from the beginning of Vicarious: "eyes on the TV; this tragedy thrills me, whatever flavor it happens to be like."

Dan

Tachyon
05-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Could be. Where there any more meanings of the word Jambi??

Clutch it like an AEnima
05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Could be. Where there any more meanings of the word Jambi??
aside from the giene on peewee's play house.......thats about it

eslupminoyler
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Jambi was perhaps cleansed for being unclean, as was Maynard in this song.
"Love of the darkside i'd found"

lemonwater
05-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I've been thinking; can Vicarious and Jambi be connected in a way. People stated that Vicarious is about the media, and how people have enjoyed the tragedies portrayed, such as, well, the Tsunami 2 years ago. Jambi is a place in Sumatra, Indonesia, which is where the Tsunami hit.

"Shine on, benevolent sun." That can be said about one of the survivors of the Tsunami, who would wish that the thing never happened. Think about it- "Damn my eyes, if they should compromise; All hope from; What you need to find me; Watching me divide me; Want to need and bite me; Then I might as well be gone..."

And of course, the obvious line from the beginning of Vicarious: "eyes on the TV; this tragedy thrills me, whatever flavor it happens to be like."

Dan
thats what iam thinking

Mesher_dakimi
05-09-2006, 09:42 AM

Dan

This does change the wish it all away promise to a possible aenima reference , "wash it all away"
after all we have been praying for rain( see 10000 days) and tidal waves right?

jonhebert
05-17-2006, 09:05 PM
That's an interesting insight. Guilt...over wishing tidal waves on anyone, then seeing it happen?

Luosdasa
05-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Jambi was perhaps cleansed for being unclean

Whaa???
The tsunami was cleansing an unclean area?? with unclean people??
I'd find that extremely offensive, so would thousands more. Im sure the dead would too. Im think tool probably would too, so i find it rather unlikely.

swampyfool
05-18-2006, 07:25 AM
That's an interesting insight. Guilt...over wishing tidal waves on anyone, then seeing it happen?

I'm not buying that. He wished tidal waves on the spiritually defunct realm of Southern California. He wished destruction upon scientologists (fuck L. Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones), armed thugs (fuck all these gun-toting, hip-gangster wanna-bes), 80's fashionistas (fuck retro anything) . . . and eventually upon Shannon Doherty (fuck these dysfunctional, insecure actresses). Maynard wanted to see the "great big festering neon distraction" demolished by tidal waves and earthquakes, and Sumatra (where Jambi is located), a great big neon distraction is not.
Furthermore, this contingency seems to hang on the lyrical interpretation of "wanna wash it all away." If this was an expression of guilt over an actualized wish, then why would he want to wash it all away? No, I think that the reference to provincial Jambi is found in the history of its Dutch colonization, when the province was divided in two between the Dutch imperialists and the indigenous ruler, Sultan Taha.