Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Sober
Lateralus
Opiate
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

Poolzer
08-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Pictures from SummerSonic

http://www.summersonic.com/06/report/admin/upload/report13.php?ARTIST=tool

glickd
08-13-2006, 05:59 PM
set list seemed the same as fresno, except they played opiate instead of Lost Keys/Rosetta

stereox
08-14-2006, 07:32 PM
The show at Makuhare Messe (Chiba) was absolutely wicked. This was my fifth tool show since 1994 and the band has never sounded better. The venue is better suited for auto shows and IT Conventions than a rock show, but the band still managed to sound superb. Particularly Maynard. He had some amazing moments of soaring vocal glory. And the way he moves up on stage is just plain scary.

It was an absolute delight to see the inter-workings of Danny Carey and Justin Chamberlain as they laid down the heavy grooves. Adam was his usual stoic savage self and cranked out some really twisted riffs. At times it was too much for me. There was one moment in the middle of Schism where I was actually frightened.

The band played the usual suspect: Stinkfist, The Pot, Forty Six & 2, Jambi, Schism, Sober, Lateralus, Opiate, Vicarious and Ænema. It's hard to say which was the best because they were all tremendous.

Maynard was seemingly in good spirits when he said "This song is from an album that is big in Belgium" and "Thank you very much, we'll be back in February."

Thank you tool. Come on February.

disaxiom
08-16-2006, 04:54 PM
this is on the site, evidently no opiate

--SET LIST--
STINKFIST
THE POT
46+2
JAMBI
SCHISM
ROSETTA
SOBER
LATERALUS
VICARIOUS
AENIMA

stereox
08-16-2006, 07:34 PM
this is on the site, evidently no opiate

--SET LIST--
STINKFIST
THE POT
46+2
JAMBI
SCHISM
ROSETTA
SOBER
LATERALUS
VICARIOUS
AENIMA

Quite frankly I can't remeber if they played Opiate or not but they definitely did not play Rosetta Stoned.

disaxiom
08-17-2006, 02:53 AM
yeah now that i'm thinking about it your list was probably right, the people on the website probably just found a setlist from somewhere else and posted it, i mean they didn't put "stoned" after rosetta, unless they think it's an obscene word or something haha

thesmellofiron
08-17-2006, 01:09 PM
They did play opiate. The show was good. Not much energy from the band. I did see Justin smile once.

tabris
08-19-2006, 02:49 AM
went to the other stage after the fantastic fort minor show, where buck-tick was still onstage and all the visual kei jrocker fans in the audience were doing the wrist flippy thing. made my way as far towards the front as i could, about halfway up, and you could tell there were a bunch of guys doing the same thing i was doing. :D

so buck-tick ends and there's this MASSIVE rush towards the stage by an almost entirely male mass at least 8 inches taller than me. x.x the people that were leaving had to shove their way out, and these guys were not making it easy for them. lots of other gaijin, too. tall fuckers. -_- managed to get an okay spot about 10 people or so from the front. standing there waiting for sound check and realizing i can't see a damn thing over all these guys.

and then this total fucktard comes shoving his way through, making me incrediby ashamed to be a foreigner at this show. there was another girl with him, and a couple other people i didn't get a good look at and they were probably drunk, high, or stupid. or all of the above. but definitely the last one. and he's shoving the hell out of people trying to get to the front but this other white guy in front of him that's like a foot taller kept him from doing do. which dipshit responded to by making like he was going to pout beer over his head. and then got distracted long enough to light a joint. and generally be obnoxious for the next 30 minutes. i was not amused.

soundcheck took forever, no big surprise, show didn't start til 20 minutes after it was scheduled to. and then it finally starts off with 'stinkfist'. which is one of my favourite songs, and unfortunately, i don't remember any of it because i was completely getting shoved and squeezed behind people. hanging onto the glasses was even more difficult this time around; barely being able to breathe was not helping matters AT ALL. tried to at least direct myself over towards the side where there were a couple other girls, this guy behind me managed to keep me upright. after discovering my body will, in fact, fold into a less than 1x1 foot area, one of the security guys finally pulled me out and i pretty much collapsed in the middle aisle around the time the next song started. sat there for a few seconds and remembered how to breathe. then they brought me up around the front between the stage and the railing and to the side.

where i happily enjoyed the rest of the show with a good five feet between me and the next person and had a clear view of everyone. and was thoroughy impressed by getting to actually watch danny play rather than just listening. ^^v

don't even ask me what the order was cos i couldn't tell you. opened with stinkfist and closed with ænima. i vagely remember the beginning of the pot, it was right after that that i got yanked out. thankfully. so that was second.

i wanna say next it was forty-six & 2, jambi, schism, in that order. i just started crying during forty-six & 2, tears just pouring down my face and i don't think i stopped until schism was over. and then again during ænima. just. wow.

forty-six & 2 was... well. yeah. no words. jambi was incredible. schism seemed... a bit fast. *scratches head* vicarious was awesome live, and sober, lateralus, and ænima always are. was totally not expecting to hear opiate though, so that was a very shiny surprise. but yeah, no rosetta stoned.

not a whole lot of commentary from maynard other than the already mentioned 'big in belgium' and 'see you in february'. and there was an 'arigatou gozaimasu' in there at some point.

this was my third tool show, the first being lollapalooza in 97 where i was introduced to them, and then birmingham alabama in 2001 standing out in the pouring rain. three completely differnt experiences, and hopefully now that i'm back home i can go see them if/when they come down to my corner of nowhere again.