Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Opiate
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

Hans
07-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Stinkfist (extended)
The Pot (Maynard lets crowd sing part of the first lines)
Forty Six and Two
Jambi
Schism (extended)
Rosetta Stoned
Sober (Maynard in Crew Safety-members uniform)
Opiate
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

I also saw Luxemburg, Pinkpop and Amsterdam this year. Roskilde was probably the best because of the visuals (extra screens on the ceiling of the stage, standard with all concerts this weekend) , the setlist and no mentionable mistakes. Schism used to be poor at the other three and was a highlight tonight, as were The Pot, Jambi and Opiate.

deep_schismic
07-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Let me start by saying this...I can't believe they played opiate tonight!!! I was talking to this norweigian guy about how unlikely it was that that song would be played...Lo and behold...one of the great highlights of another awesome Tool show:D.

I've seen them 3 times on this tour now..starting with Rock im Park, then Hamburg, and now Roskilde. As hans mentioned, the visuals worked out better here because of the bigger sized stage and the extra screens...Maynard was certainly in a jovial mood...

quote of the night (approximately): "We're gonna have to change the order of the songs since Adam's computer just shat itself!"

Other quotes:..."hey you guys smell nice tonight"...(sarcasm?)

And maynard in the Crew Safety vest pointing a flashlight at adam and justin interrogating them if they had their passes was hilarious!

oh...and he did say ..."See you in November!"

:-).

LosD
07-03-2006, 02:46 AM
And maynard in the Crew Safety vest pointing a flashlight at adam and justin interrogating them if they had their passes was hilarious!

oh...and he did say ..."See you in November!"

Yeah, Maynard going from being the world's best singer, to being the world's best Crew Safety is quite a jump ;)

I really, really, really, really hope that wasn't a joke... Another show in 5 months would be.... Fantastic! :)

It seemed like there were a bit of technical difficulties in the beginning (The effects seemed to hit at the wrong time, or maybe it's just me), but from Rosetta Stoned and onwards it was pure perfection.

MUCH better than 2001. Not because that one was bad at all, but playing in the night fits Tool so much better than in the day! :)

I were disappointed that Maynard didn't join Deftones for "Passenger" earlier that day, that is really a fantastic song, and I would've loved to see it live.

summersoldier
07-03-2006, 02:52 AM
my first tool show ever, and I'm completly amazed....
I was counting on this setlist, but when they played opiate, I just shat myself!!

The sound was amazing, especially from where I stood (in the left snakepit). And the visuals where so cool with a mixture of their videos and other typical "tool pics".

Also seemed like Maynard was in a great mood, and as you say deep_schismic, it was hilarious when MJK pointed on adam with the flashlight asking, "hey you on the guitar, can I see your pass...????", in his crew safety vest. Also asking "hey you like my new shirt?" to the crowd.

I really hope theres something about the see you in november part...

Maynard didn't perform with deftones, a shame though.... The crowd was yelling for passenger at one time, and chino replied with something like "I think maynard is a sleep, but maybe we'll call him to wake him up. Or maybe we'll just skip it..."

well thanks tool for making my festival the best ever, and see you guys in november..!

jinxx
07-03-2006, 03:48 AM
My 2nd Tool show, saw them first time at Roskilde in 2001. Didn't really know them back them, but they did inspire me to pick up all their cds right after the concert. This time I was standing among the people at the very front and it was awesome beyond belief. That cost me a 2 hour wait in sunshine among a shitload of drunk people with an aching back and feet to follow, but easily worth it for Tool. As soon as they got into it every note was pretty much perfect and Maynard was and still is the best live singer if you ask me.

Had been hoping for Passenger during the Deftones show earlier too, but as mentioned unfortunately there was none of that. Kind of got to me how people kept yelling for Passenger, must've sucked a bit to be Deftones although Chino didn't seem to mind much.

Opiate during Tool's show more than made up for it though. It's easily one of my favorite Tool songs and from reading the earlier setlists they didn't seem to play it live. I had been telling my buddies all day how much I wanted to hear that song and when the first few notes hit from it I was just ecstatic. I wasn't the only one though, all the people in the front around me went completely nuts. That kind of surprised me, didn't think that pretty much everybody would know Opiate. Awesome. Thinking about Maynard screaming "Jesus Christ why don't you come save my life now?" backed by so many people still sends chills down my spine.

Other than that I can't really mention any highlights because everything was excellent. Was great how they played The Pot though, I was kind of worried they wouldn't do that before the show.

Only thing that wasn't perfect was the sound during Rosetta Stoned when Maynard sings into his megaphone. Being an open stage it was kind of hard to hear his exact words during those parts. I definitely need to see them at a closed venue as soon as possible. Considering how awesome they were on a big open stage, I can only imagine how it would to see them at a smaller, closed one.

Maynard also seemed rather cheerful today. Was talking more than I've seen him do before and even walked to the front of the stage during parts of the show. His stage performance was very good too, dancing around like some sort of tribal dancer during parts and working everything with military precision.

All in all I had extremely high expectations before the show and Tool exceeded every single one of them. I'll definitely be seeing them again in November. ;)

Edit: There's 5 pictures from the show that you can see here: http://www.rockphoto.dk/home/result.php?phrase=Tool&category=band

mr. nikki jensen
07-03-2006, 04:28 AM
my first tool show ever! i could write a lot 'bout its perfection, but i'll just say the word:

PERFECT!

see you at november

Metlamaniac
07-03-2006, 02:38 PM
it was immense. Roskilde as a whole was great. Tool, best band there

Hexagram
07-03-2006, 10:48 PM
The show was one of the best I've ever seen in my life and I think I even enjoyed it more than my first Tool-show in London 01. The connection between the band and the crowd was so tense and the way you heard every-fucking-one screaming the lyrics was amazing! Yes, Maynard was in a really good mood and that showed. As said he was joking with the crowd safety suit and he was really swinging some new moves I've never seen before! What about that cowboy dance! :D

I saw Deftones, at the very same stage, earlier that day but the sound was too shitty for me to hear OK. A real bummer, as I've longed for them for years. At Tool we were standing in the first section and still we needed no hear protection. Great, great sound!

Not much more to say, this is pure perfection!
I'm seing Tool again this friday in Gothenburg. See ya'll there! ;D

(PS. I NEARLY caught Danny's drum skin DS.)

Purup
07-03-2006, 11:31 PM
I too was in the back of the left booth at this years Roskilde Festival from 22:30 ;-)

I really enjoyed the show and my personal highlight was the opening track STINKFIST because I've never heard it being played so tight, heavy and the sound was amazing (considering them playing at Orange Scene).

Thank you, Roskilde!
Thank you Danny, Justin, Adam and Jimmy-boy!

Did anyone catch the Deftones ?
Opeth?

Great line-up this year!

summersoldier
07-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Kind of got to me how people kept yelling for Passenger, must've sucked a bit to be Deftones although Chino didn't seem to mind much.

I was thinking the same thing too. I was like, be quiet you ungreatful bastards... even though I wanted to hear passenger as much as the other guys in the snakepit. But I think there were a lot of TOOL fans in the pit who were craving for a little taste of the fantastic Maynard!

The back-left snakepit was surely a great place to hear tool play. Not much moshing, and the sound was unique.... 3 days later and I'm still high from the tool experiance, I feel like the guy from Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned;
maynard revealed to me his singular purpose.
He said, "You are the Chosen One,
the One who will deliver the message...

If there's something about the "see you in november", where do you think/hope they will play?? I was thinking Forum in copenhagen??

Cloudshaper
07-04-2006, 03:46 AM
Maynard didn't perform with deftones, a shame though.... The crowd was yelling for passenger at one time, and chino replied with something like "I think maynard is a sleep, but maybe we'll call him to wake him up. Or maybe we'll just skip it..."

He actually said that he thought Maynard would be angry if he woke him up, which I thought where quite funny.

The real reason: Danny mentioned in an interview, just before the show, that the reason why Maynard didn’t sing passenger was because he needed to spare his voice for the show.

cowbitch
07-04-2006, 04:17 AM
Fanfuckingtastic!!!
My 2nd Tool show this year. Saw them in Berlin a couple of weeks ago. Have to say that the Roskilde gig was like 10.000 times better!!! The setlist, the performance and especially the sound was way better this time. It's been a real loong time since I've heard a live performance with such a great sound!
I was in the back-right pit leaning on the fence in the middle with the safety guard passage, and frome there I could see everything on stage. Even my girlfriend, who's like 1.60cm, had a good view from there. And it's wasn't to crowded either :-)

I'm afraid it's going to be a while before I'll experience such a great show again...

pake
07-04-2006, 09:07 AM
As others said, amazing concert, highlight of the festival for me!

Let me start by saying this...I can't believe they played opiate tonight!!!

I wonder if they planned to play opiate, cause before the song there was little break and the band chatted to each other, possible decided to play opiate instead some other song?

mr. nikki jensen
07-04-2006, 09:54 AM
If there's something about the "see you in november", where do you think/hope they will play?? I was thinking Forum in copenhagen??

eller måske KB hallen eller Valby Hallen??

mr. nikki jensen
07-04-2006, 09:58 AM
anyway.
The extended midsection of Stinkfist....

HOLY F**KING SHIT!! that was one of the highlights for me. freaking awesome

Perseensilmä
07-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Opiate was extended too, by the way. And Adam jammed with some chords before Schism. Ummm... I´ll review this gig later, I came home about 12 hours ago, slept like hell and I am still fucking tired. Well, eight days of rock and roll, from monday to tuesday morning pretty much tires the hell out of people. I had fun, yeah, but I am so fucking tired and I am glad to be at home.

Axl kicked Maynard´s ass though.

deep_schismic
07-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Axl kicked Maynard´s ass though.

you're being sarcastic right? I wanted to vomit when I heard "guns'n'roses" play knocking on heaven's door that night...he butchered that song...should've been ashamed given that bob dylan was actually on the bill!

As people mentioned yeah, of course we all wanted to hear Passenger...but hey at least we got KNIFE PRTY!!! (my favourite deftones track) and the deftones sounded awesome...even better than when i saw em at Rock im Park last month.

Oh and as before...Lateralus again left me in goosebumps. goddammit what is it about that song? Must be the gong towards the end:D

I will post my photos up on my Photobucket site once I recover from Roskilde via sleep and stayin out of the sun (I went 4-5 shades darker, and i'm not even white to begin with!) for a few weeks hehee

summersoldier
07-04-2006, 01:37 PM
you're being sarcastic right?....

I will post my photos up on my Photobucket site once I recover from Roskilde via sleep and stayin out of the sun (I went 4-5 shades darker, and i'm not even white to begin with!) for a few weeks hehee

I hope he is joking, because axl sucks major ass... He can't even stand upright for 2 songs in a row....

and about those pictures, that could be really awesome, but hey I know what you're going through. I came home monday morning, and I havn't been outside since. That sun was brutal!! So I'll wait for those pics...

spiral out!

the badical
07-04-2006, 02:52 PM
tool's performance at roskilde was amazing!
was that the first time they had played opiate this tour? if so im guessing cos of danny's electronics fucking up, when maynard was all "danny's computer just took a shit".

i think it was an even better performance than at the 2 london dates, although there was no right in two.
a few lyrics dropped in stinkfist, i think, and replaced with some kind of scream and adam fucked up the end of the drum solo in 46 & 2.
all in all a fucking awesome awesome show, although sigur ros was even more amazing.

TooL_TiM413
07-04-2006, 03:57 PM
the badical. adam is the guitarist and danny is on drums. just thought id point that out.

edit - or maybe im just reading your post wrong?

deep_schismic
07-05-2006, 12:24 AM
tool's performance at roskilde was amazing!
was that the first time they had played opiate this tour? if so im guessing cos of danny's electronics fucking up, when maynard was all "danny's computer just took a shit".

I thought it was the 1st time they played Opiate on this tour till I saw the setlist for the Paris Le Zenith show, which was the first time they played it. Whether it was intentional or not to play the song I'm not sure, because Maynard did say "new setlist" early in the show...and I thought he said ADAM's computer took a shit..correct me if i am wrong people. it could've been either one by all rights..

edit: and yes Sigur Ros was AMAZING. It was the first time I saw them, and I am only very minutely familiar with their stuff...the Arena was the PERFECT setting for them! I took a few shots for them too, which I will upload later also...i have about 200 shots from Roskilde to work through, so it will take a bit of time...

the badical
07-05-2006, 01:09 AM
I thought it was the 1st time they played Opiate on this tour till I saw the setlist for the Paris Le Zenith show, which was the first time they played it. Whether it was intentional or not to play the song I'm not sure, because Maynard did say "new setlist" early in the show...and I thought he said ADAM's computer took a shit..correct me if i am wrong people. it could've been either one by all rights..

edit: and yes Sigur Ros was AMAZING. It was the first time I saw them, and I am only very minutely familiar with their stuff...the Arena was the PERFECT setting for them! I took a few shots for them too, which I will upload later also...i have about 200 shots from Roskilde to work through, so it will take a bit of time...

no no - he definately said danny's computer took a shit. and that is what i mean! danny has an apple next to his kit to work all the mandala pads.
i suspect they would have played right in two but they couldnt because it relies so heavily on the danny's electronics.

it was the first time i had seen them as well and it really was sublime. untitled 8 was magnificent and the arena was fantastic. did you get into the front sections?
what do you think of those, btw? i think it's a great idea to give everyone an equal chance to see a band they want at the very front.
and i'd love to see your photos!

zeon
07-05-2006, 01:54 AM
Radio interview with Danny before going on stage in Roskilde

http://www.dr.dk/Musik/Temaer/Roskilde+Festival/Interviews/20060701134413.htm (near the end of the page)

Mosh
07-05-2006, 03:21 AM
This must've been the greatest gig I've ever seen in my whole life. The precision with which Tool played was superhumanly astounding. I hadn't seen Tool live before, only heard they play fantastic live. I've listened to Tool since being a kid and everything they play from their first albums to 10,000 days is familiar.

Upon the gig starting I was in a trance. The time was perfect, with a dusky, intimate natural lighting backing up the fantastic light show and the weird yet intriguing animations on the side-screens. The sound was spot-on, with the drums and bass working perfectly to create the heaviest experience I've yet encountered. It seems unbelievable how well 4 people can play in pefect time, creating as a whole a totally immersive sound that will blow anybody off their feet.

I wasn't in the front, although I would have liked to, I had some heavy drinking to do and wanted to wander around checking what else was on. But even from the field I was able to see everything that happened on stage, and maybe even more. Seeing the whole stage as a whole was a part of what created the immersive experience I had.

The fact they played forty six & two and Opiate really surprised me. Hearing Stinkfist was sublime too. In fact it was all just a sublime whole.

One thing I would've liked though, which might've be too much to ask: FLOOD!

EDIT: Might have to get a ticket to Ruisrock for Sunday just to see Tool. But I don't know if I want to break the illusion I had on orange stage...

Oh and my Roskilde top acts were Tool the best of course, then Morrissey. Guns'n'Roses were utter crap, but that was to be expected. I knew they would suck but they still disappointed.

deep_schismic
07-05-2006, 05:09 AM
I think with GNR, their fans summed it up quite well...they KNEW Axl would do exactly what he did, and they just loved it anyway...to everyone else they just sucked ass. I laughed when i saw his pic in the Festival Globe the next morning...he looks like James Hetfield with orange dreads now hahaa...didn't think he could actually look worse than the whole MTV movie awards debacle

badical: Yeah I was in the front-right pit, along the side barricade, 4-5 rows back for Tool. Also managed to be there for Deftones and Roger Waters (where I was in the front 2 rows...though that was probably not the wisest choice since I was too close to the stage, and it hampered alot of my view due to the high scaffolding and light fixtures up front!

Mosh: Although being up front for a concert is generally the best place to be, trust me..for Tool that is not generally the case...the best spot is where the sound comes through well mixed (i.e. near the sound board) and where u can see the whole stage and visual display without obstruction...it doesn't get more immersive than that as you said!

edit: Roger Waters though, I have to say though is what made Roskilde totally special for me...there were no words afterwards. I found myself crying through Dark Side of the Moon...it was just an emotional overload, and I can't believe I will be seeing David Gilmour in a few weeks' time in Munich!!!

Mosh
07-05-2006, 05:48 AM
I am so, so ashamed I didn't see roger waters. My friends were wasted and I was on the verge. Despite that though, what I heard to my camp (West) was fantastic. Especially during the wall, the noise the crowd made while singing was truly fantastic. I won't slap myself anymore for not actually seeing Roger, I did hear him live :)

I still don't know how I can miss it... especially being a Pink Floyd enthusiast for some time. Ah well. Tool made my festival, and to be totally honest there's a lot more to roskilde than the music ;)

omnipotent
07-07-2006, 03:49 AM
Definite highlights of the evening;

Maynard´s vocals in Rosetta Stoned i.e walking to the front of the stage during the second (or third?) verse, turning around to go back to his small stage and during this singing "they choose me" with his bodylanguage completely showing the disbelief of this statement. Beautiful!

Maynard dancing like a horny cowboy during solo in Jambi, slapping an imaginary parter and using his hat to cover her.

Danny´s reaction leaving the stage as the audience sheered him on. He looked happily surprised and somewhat confused and hurried on off stage.

And of course 30.000 people screaming "Jesus Christ why don´t you come save my life now!"

SpawnOfHoffmann
07-08-2006, 03:17 AM
I saw the show at roskilde, and i need help.
In the end of the show, maynard yells out, " see you in novenber"
But there is no indications that tool will perform in denmark in novenber.
WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THAT, i need to know,
Any thoughts are most welcome

Great fucking show, anyway

summersoldier
07-08-2006, 04:39 AM
I saw the show at roskilde, and i need help.
In the end of the show, maynard yells out, " see you in novenber"
But there is no indications that tool will perform in denmark in novenber.
WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THAT, i need to know,
Any thoughts are most welcome

Great fucking show, anyway

I think I read in another european concert review, that he said almost the same thing to that crowd (but I can't remember which concert, so maybe I'm imagining the whole thing, and I forgot my pen....)
But I hope it is a sign that means they will drop by to play an indoor festival here in DK!!!

deep_schismic
07-08-2006, 07:34 AM
It might mean there will be an European leg, probably a small one, for their Fall tour. perhaps just after the harvest of his wine...

oh and if you want to see some pics...this is where I will be posting mine:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v495/one_schism/Roskilde/

so far just 1 pic up...but rest assurred i will get them all up!